$500 Ethernet Cable

The issue is that each bit must also arrive on time, relative to other bits, or samples can be potentially misinterpreted by converters. This generally isn't a problem because most jitter observed between consumer devices is deterministic and most modern consumer devices have some sort of jitter suppression.

Yeah, they're still ones and zeros. The problem isn't that they become 2s and 4s (because they can't), but there's the potential for zeros to be interpreted as ones and vice versa. Flipping a single bit is potentially audible depending on the content of the signal and its significance in the sample (if it's the most significant bit, for instance, or if it's the least significant bit).

Go apply for a job at Denon ;)

I just finished drawing arrows on all my cables. Everything sounds much more detailed now it's unbelievable. Thanks Denon!

Funny to see a thread about debunking misconceptions containing an oft-repeated misconception. Original GB Ethernet spec was designed around CAT-5 for the simple reason that it was in place at the time the spec was developed. Cat-6 is not a requirement for Gigabit. Neither is Cat-5E. Don't take my word for it, read it from the IEEE 802.3ab docs:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ab/public/criteria.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1000BASE-T#1000BASE-T

Exactly. I love when people tell us they want CAT6 installed because they might go to "gigabit" later down the road. They're always set in their mindset too. If they said, we want CAT6 because we might go to 10 gigabit down the road, then it might have a little more validity.

Brilliant business strategy really, build cables from $4 worth of materials, and sell them as "premium" cables for 3000% markup.

Honestly, who would buy these.

Coathangers PWN! said:
Of course, a coat hanger doesn't have a Monster Cable lifetime warranty, so if your coat hanger breaks, you'll have to go out and buy another coat hanger.

haha I love this!

because we all know that audio enthusiast = ridiculously rich who likes to spend their cash on ridiculously over priced audio equipment just to get a barely noticeable increase in audio quality :cool:

Go apply for a job at Denon
I actually put in an application to Dolby Labs over in Burbank a couple months ago. DENIED! :p

Just to make things crystal clear here, I'm not advocating that anyone actually buy these cables. Far from it. Jitter is a clocking problem more than it is a cabling problem, and the best interconnects on the planet won't really improve jitter characteristics so long as the interconnects you're buying are relatively decent ($10/meter is a fair price for 'digital' interconnects of any variety, I think).

With this cable length (5 feet), I don't think that jitter should be a problem considering the units being used will most likely have jitter reduction circuits.

If only things were quite that easy. Unfortunately, they rarely are. A skewed digital signal may need to be reclocked at the input in order to suppress unwanted and potentially audible clocking jitter prior to digital-to-analog conversion. This is called anti-jittering or jitter suppression.

Not that it makes any difference to you or anyone else, but just for 'teh record'.

if a college freshman can make a half decent clocking routine for a converter then denon should be able to also :p

And that's not something the cable does, as far as I can tell.

'Cept you need Cat6 to run Gigabit. ;)

Interesting. Would you mind telling that to my Cat5e cables which transmit at gigabit speeds with no trouble? I think they need to be informed they are doing something that is impossible.:p

That is taking it a little far. I'm all for nice cables but damn! That thing better give me a Portuguese Breakfast!
All kidding aside. It is well known to be impossible for any digital connection to sound better than another. I see you guys bring up bit errors and such as evidence. The truth is bit errors cause popping noises or static. There is a clear difference in a good or bad cable. Just the same as there is in HDMI cables. It either works or it doesn't. There is nothing you can say to persuade me or anyone else otherwise. There will be no tonal difference in this cable or a $5 replacement. So long as the signal makes it to the destination intact. It is impossible. It is governed by the laws of physics. Last time I checked, we had no problem getting people to and from orbit. It's safe to say that aspect is pretty sound.

Well, I'm off to buy a monster printer cable so my printer will print better colors.

He's right. The other guys right. You're both right :)

Digital is indeed digital. But, it has to GET there. If it GETS there, then indeed digital is digital. When it doesn't get there is why you get the pixelation and screen lockups on digital cable TV. There ain't much in the way of error correction in those transmissions (for good reason, actually).

One of the absolute worse devices to change from analog to digital, IMHO, is radio controls for model aircraft. I lost more helicopters in the late 80's to digital lockup on PCM radio's than I ever did from pilot error.

At least with analog when you took a glitch you could still deal with it.

It wasn't so bad for airplanes (you had some time), but with Heli's a lockup meant you were get-out-the-glad-bag DONE, and hopefully no one got hit.

Well yeah, but I'm assuming a cable you're using doesn't suck so much you can't get signal through.

This makes me sad. I really like Denon gear and seeing them stoop to this level of huckstership is depressing.

I just installed these in Brucie Kibbutz's house. Everything VIP baby no matter the cost!

Pretty awesome.. but I would be disappointed when my 1's and 0's go through the server side and their non-$500 cables.

$500 and they still come with those little plastic clips that break off when you look at em funny? lol

Oh sure, start an entire cottage industry of Etherphiles. What moron in his or her right mind would buy something like this? Oh wait, there is already a thriving moronic industry solely supported by another knuckle-head group known as Audiophiles.

Wow... I don't think I will ever buy Denon again... Just out of principal. My audiophile buddy says they sound fine but breakdown anyway!

I'll just stick to $149 Sony receiver with radio shack speaker cable... which is overpriced crap as it is!

I bet those needles cost under 20 bucks (unless that gold needle has a significant amount of gold in it).

In another life, I sold stereos. We had a grado cartridge that retailed for 200 bucks. We sold it for $95.00. I got a standard 2% commision, plus a $20.00 spiff on my check and another $20.00 cash that night. The stores cost? $7.00.

I'm sure it's more now, given inflation and the fact that so few people use turntables, but those probbly aren't that great.

Besides, if I'm going to build a serious turntable, I wouldn't want to use anything that cost less than a couple grand. ;)

I get water from a seven stage filter demin. $125,000 initial investment. Filtered to 2 particles per billion. Gives you straight up diarrhea and dehydrates you, but pure is the only way to go. :p

$500 and guaranteed to be exactly the same quality as a $25 cable. I would like to meet the absolute morons out there who would buy this cable. If you are dumb enough to purchase a $500 ethernet cable then you deserve to be killed and your estate should be donated to a charity.

my 10ft cat6 cable I bought at the dollar store is exactly the same as this cable........ except 5 feet longer and $498 cheaper!

Wow. Just Wow.

And it only has a 90 day warranty. That just screams "We stand behind our products".

Here's a graphic of the cable components. Is Denon perhaps utilizing subliminal message techniques with the component naming?... Definitely the Heidi Fleiss of cables.

Denon_Cable_Components.jpg

shrink wrap tube!! ..no freaking way.. i didnt even know they could do things like this, defying the very laws of physics as we know it lol

this is gota be the worst scam ive ever seen.

i can comeup with a $5000 3 foot cable with gold colored plastic ends :eek:

Is it just me or are audiophiles the most gullible people on the planet?

A lot of audiophiles are.. but good audio/video equipment is worth it if you are a sensible person and know what to buy in reasonable price ranges.

Some people spend massive amounts of money on audio equipment.....trust me when I say some will buy this type of cable.

Back