$500 Ethernet Cable

HardOCP News

[H] News
When I first saw this $500 five foot Ethernet cable I instantly thought “it must be a Monster cable” but I was wrong. It would seem Denon is the manufacturer of the $100 a foot monstrosity. Thanks to [H] reader Yassarian for the linkage.

This will go nicely with my $300 HDMI cable and $1000 speaker wire.

$500 and guaranteed to be exactly the same quality as a $25 cable. I would like to meet the absolute morons out there who would buy this cable. If you are dumb enough to purchase a $500 ethernet cable then you deserve to be killed and your estate should be donated to a charity.

This will go nicely with my $300 HDMI cable and $1000 speaker wire.

Well, hold on there. Speaker wire carries an analog signal at far higher voltages over a very wide frequency range. It does make a difference there.

From manufacturer's website....
Denon's 1.5 meter (59 in.) ultra premium Denon Link cable was designed for the audio enthusiast. Made from high purity copper wire and high performance connection parts, the AK-DL1 will bring out all the nuances in digital audio reproduction from any of our Denon DVD players with the Denon Link feature. Attention to detail when building this cable was used by empoying high quality insulation, tin-bearing alloy shielding and woven jacketing to reduce vibration and to add durability. Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer. Rounded plug levers help prevent breakage....

rounded plug levers? no wai! sounds worth $500 to me! ;)

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one of these(no I wouldn't buy it) just to run a test over it. How great would it be if this was like cat3 spec'd?

I can't believe that page isn't an April 1 prank or something. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This would pair nicley with the $7,500 pear HDMI cables and the gas injected $500 power cables

Additionally, signal directional markings are provided for optimum signal transfer

Is there any scientific data to back this up? Is electricity impeded when the plastic coating the copper has an arrow pointing the other way?

The sad thing is Denon will find suckers to buy that.

That goes great with my audiophile-grade dihydrogen monoxide. Cost me $300 a gallon, but it's worth it!

I was just about to bring that up...it's ridiculous that people think that spending top dollar on cables for their living room are getting better quality...they aren't. Anyone who spends that much on a 5ft cat5 cable is an absolute dummy who shouldn't have the money they're spending.

Twisted pair copper is twisted pair copper is twisted pair copper...

Thats interesting. I've been doing a lot of reading about different qualities and prices of audio cables and most people say "As long as its a quality cable."

Places like blue jeans cables, monoprice, etc should be just fine imo. DIY speaker wire will do what you need without having to spend a ton of money. 12g monoprice speaker wire + techflex sleeving + monoprice banana plugs > Any crazy priced cabling.

I've done my own tests with Audioquest cables and heard no difference in quality at all.

I'll admit though they look sexy.

somehow I think the signals going over that cable couldn't be much if any more sensative than a gigabit network which works flawlessly with even the cheapest cat5 cables over short distances. If someone thinks that they actually need this they need a punch in the face.

I'm certainly not defending the MSRP of this cable, but those wondering why a cat5 cable is fetching such an over the top price, it's not intended to be used for TCP-IP. It's designed for PCM 24-bit, 192-kHz digital signals. This puts in the same league with toslink and coax for digital, but can only be used on equipment supporting the Denon Link capability. Connecting a Denon DVD player to a Denon receiver, for example.

If [H] is willing to test the Bigfoot Network card, they should pony up to show us all that in fact this does or does not do anything. While measuring a picture quality or perceived quality difference in HDMI cable costing $10 and $500 is highly subjective, this could be proven useless in a simple series of test moving large single or multi smaller files across it.

I want to see the test! Then raffle the cable off to a reader.

When quadcore microprocessors and 666 million transistor video cards cost less than cables to hook up your stereo, you know there is a problem.

[This cable is] designed for PCM 24-bit, 192-kHz digital signals.
Perhaps, but that certainly doesn't justify the price tag. You can transmit megabits of LPCM data per second over HDMI perfectly (for all intents and purposes) without spending more than $10 to $15. Clocking jitter is always a potential issue, but only if it results in an audible change to the original signal, which in the vast majority of scenarios, it won't.

I want to see a coat hanger challenge vs this cable. :D I'm sure even an impure piece of iron can handle the sub 1 MHz bandwidth requirement.

What's next, $200 Denon corded phone cables?

You know, this goes along the same lines of women who pay hundreds, even thousands, of dollars for a purse when there are better quality for under a hundred dollars. I guess this applies to any product, so why not cables?

It looks like an Ethernet cable, but it's not. It just has 8c8p RJ45 ends on it. You probably could use it for Ethernet, but what's the point? UTP is used because it's cheap. An overengineered and overpriced CAT5/6 cable doesn't make sense.

What I really want to know is: why did they choose twisted pair instead of coax or fiber?

I'm certainly not defending the MSRP of this cable, but those wondering why a cat5 cable is fetching such an over the top price, it's not intended to be used for TCP-IP. It's designed for PCM 24-bit, 192-kHz digital signals. This puts in the same league with toslink and coax for digital, but can only be used on equipment supporting the Denon Link capability. Connecting a Denon DVD player to a Denon receiver, for example.

Dude, it's digital.

ones and zeros. Doesn't matter if the one or zero is fuzzy, it's STILL a one or a zero, and that means that it's converted to the EXACT same analog waveform as it started as - as long as the cable functions, a digital signal remains digital and is the same no matter what.

maybe the [H] can get a review sample and compare it to a $2.50 Cables Unlimited
CAT-5e 6' cable.

Make sure when you buy it that you buy this player and this networked audio device

otherwise you won't get the true effect. also you will probably need to buy 2 cables one for you dvd player and one for the audio device. Maybe you better get a 3rd for your computer while at it.

somehow I think the signals going over that cable couldn't be much if any more sensative than a gigabit network which works flawlessly with even the cheapest cat5 cables over short distances.

'Cept you need Cat6 to run Gigabit. ;)

Back