• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4p build questions

Running into issue here.

I use 74GB hdd and reserved 20GB to install winxp (pro 64bits) ... everything went fine.
When trying to install ubuntu, it can't detect any diskspace .. even added 500gb hdd
 
Why don't you just install Linux exclusively - native installation. Validate your hardware first, and then mess around with dual booting or VMs. You've got too many variables in the mix right now.
 
That's what I am doing now .. Using 500GB hdd to install ubuntu .. :(
 
yup .. been doing this so many times :D ...
Now, I remove 74gb hdd .. and have only 500gb .. and use external cdrom drive to load ubuntu ,,
 
Damn it! ..
Same issue.
When it comes to partition, it only sees " /dev/sda" .. nothing else.
 
"Only" /dev/sda with single drive is expected. That's *the* drive.
 
Good to see that internet [h]exes are still effective.
 
The only one to see more than 2 processors is windows server 2008 RC2... Something to that effect. I was going to get the free 30 day trial to run bench marks for the benching team (overclockers) to help with the points, but never got around to it... The Penguin is the way to go.

Glad to see its posting and working for you! Now get her folding for the cause!!
 
dwdawg, hope it's not the 2 i told you :D

Linden, thanks. I think Norcalsteve feels way much better now.

Can I run 3 cpus at a time? I need to test if CPU in socket 3 or 4 is bad -- or those 2 sockets are bad themself.

I use winxp pro 64 bit ... still can see more than 2 processros?

If it is, we'll work it out. I suspect it may be the Windows limitation you are seeing.
 
Woohoo ... gosh .. what a hassle!
Couldn't do any with both HDDs... Decided to pull a hdd that has ubuntu 10.10 installed on another rig and plugged in .. Used Ubuntu 11.10 disc to install ... It detected earlier version and asked for upgrade.
Cool... System is up and running .. detects all 32 cores.

Crunching 8101 right now ...

Maybe it's time to use overclock bios .... :D
 
....and there was much rejoicing! Sorry it was such a pain for you. My 4P OS installations were easier than some of garden variety single-socket Windows installations.
 
Glad to hear Sbinh!!! Now that you will try the awesome [H] bios, I can say "it wasnt me" if anything happens! LOL! Happy folding to you!! Glad all is working well.

If you wanted to try a windows that sees all cores/CPUs.... go here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd459137.aspx

Its a trial, but if you ever wanted to run benchmarks or do other things for a limited time you can with this.
 
[H] bios doesn't work for me :D ...
Follow the steps slowly and carefully.

Code:
......
.....

sudo ./smocng.sh 220
shutdown
power off.

power back on ...
At very last step, powered up and booted ... [H] logo ...
Once it came to stage "Initialize IPMI module .." screen went blank ... ...

Don't know what I miss...
 
Unless I misunderstood things about tear's BIOS, it doesn't work nicely with IPMI (or vice versa). Did I?
 
Yeah, please try w/IPMI disabled (switch BMC jumper on the mobo while system
is disconnected from power).
 
Disabled IPMI ...
Ran "sudo ./smocng.sh 220"
Shutdown and turn off power.
Waited few minutes and powered up
Booted into Ubuntu
Ran "sysinfo" ... it shows speed 2000mhz :-O


Do I need to flash bios again?
 
What Ubuntu version is it?

Run:
Code:
dmesg | grep -o Detected.*
 
cpu shows 1980.016 :)

ram shows 1066 ( my ram rated 1333)

I'm using 11.10
 
Yup, you're good then. Base reported clock with OCNG (and newer kernels) is 1800.

1800*220/200 = 1980 (as expected)
1066.66*220/200 = 1173.33 (your DDR "frequency")

Take a look at this as well: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1038636513

You can use TurionPowerControl -dram to examine the timings as well (FYI).
 
so, everytime I run smocng.sh, do I need to set bios to optimal default ??
 
so, everytime I run smocng.sh, do I need to set bios to optimal default ??

You only need to load optimal defaults after flashing the bios. After you run smocng.sh, you need to power off the system and power it back on for the changes to take effect. This is in the instructions found in the Supermicro H8QGi/6 and H8QGL Next Generation OC BIOS thread.

11. Issue: sudo ./smocng.sh <reference-clock-frequency> (e.g. sudo ./smocng.sh 220, also see the discussion below), once set, changes persist across reboots (need to do it only once)
12. Power-off the machine; need to shut it off completely, DO NOT reboot.
13. Wait few moments and power the machine back on again.
 
dmesg |grep -o Detected.*
Code:
Detected 2160.442 MHz processor.

sudo ./refclock
Code:
Refclock: 240.005 MHz


sudo tpc -dram
Code:
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard - v0.41

DRAM Configuration Status

Node 0 ---
DCT0: memory type: DDR3 frequency: 1066 MHz
Tcl=9 Trcd=9 Trp=9 Tras=24 Access Mode:1T Trtp=5 Trc=32 Twr=9 Trrd=4 Tcwl=7 Tfaw=20


sudo tpc -temp
Code:
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard - v0.41
Detected processor: Family 10h Processor
Machine has 8 nodes
Processor has 4 cores
Processor has 5 p-states
Processor temperature slew rate:9.0°C

Temperature table:
Node 0    C0:29    C1:29    C2:29    C3:29    
Node 1    C0:28    C1:28    C2:28    C3:28    
Node 2    C0:35    C1:35    C2:35    C3:35    
Node 3    C0:33    C1:33    C2:33    C3:33    
Node 4    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
Node 5    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
Node 6    C0:33    C1:33    C2:33    C3:33    
Node 7    C0:31    C1:31    C2:31    C3:31    

Done.
 
Refclock is now 250 ..


dmesg |grep -o Detected.*

Code:
Detected 2250.116 MHz processor.

sudo ./refclock
Code:
Refclock: 249.992 MHz



sudo tpc -temp


Idle
Code:
Temperature table:
Node 0    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 1    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 2    C0:24    C1:24    C2:24    C3:24    
Node 3    C0:24    C1:24    C2:24    C3:24    
Node 4    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 5    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 6    C0:22    C1:22    C2:22    C3:22    
Node 7    C0:22    C1:22    C2:22    C3:22


Crunching 8101
Code:
Temperature table:
Node 0    C0:28    C1:28    C2:28    C3:28    
Node 1    C0:28    C1:28    C2:28    C3:28    
Node 2    C0:35    C1:35    C2:35    C3:35    
Node 3    C0:33    C1:33    C2:33    C3:33    
Node 4    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
Node 5    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
Node 6    C0:33    C1:33    C2:33    C3:33    
Node 7    C0:32    C1:32    C2:32    C3:32

still crunching now ...
 
Aaaand I'd leave it there unless you've got DDR3-1600 memory... (otherwise your
base MEMCLK becomes DDR3-800 and it hasn't been extensively tested).
 
Yup. That's what I think too.

Thanks everyone for your help, guidance...... It is an awesome (but scary) experience :D .. My first AMD build .. lolz

Tear,
Are you going add "disable BMC" into your thread?
 
Last edited:
tear,
Are you going add "disable BMC" into your thread?

I added it to the second post in the OC bios thread. It is only needed for GL boards - Gi/6 boards work fine with BMC enabled.
 
Thanks Musky.

It's been crunching 8101 all night .. TPF 18:39

Wish I got faster RAM :D
 
Out of curiosity, I pumped it to 260 :D ... It booted but hang while loading Ubuntu desktop. .. So, lower refclock down to 255 9which ram's speed would be 1359), loaded up and ran fah (8101) .. system was hung after few minutes.

I guess if I can get faster ram (which will cost around $150 for 18x1gb crucial 1600 c10), I might push those chips further.
 
Good achievement. Well done. You're definitly finding a much higher reference clock than I am.
 
I finally pulled the trigger ... and bought DDR3 1600 RAM set (cas9) ... 2x2GB ($23/set) ..
Currently running at refclock = 260. Finished 4 frames already ... TPF (for total) 17:35

Will try to push it higher ...

Idle:

Code:
dmesg |grep -o Detected.*
Detected 2339.981 MHz processor.

sudo ./refclock
Refclock: 259.985 MHz

sudo tpc -temp
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard - v0.41
Detected processor: Family 10h Processor
Machine has 8 nodes
Processor has 4 cores
Processor has 5 p-states
Processor temperature slew rate:9.0°C

Temperature table:
Node 0    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 1    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 2    C0:24    C1:24    C2:24    C3:24    
Node 3    C0:24    C1:24    C2:24    C3:24    
Node 4    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 5    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
Node 6    C0:23    C1:23    C2:23    C3:23    
Node 7    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    

Done.

Folding
Code:
dmesg |grep -o Detected.*
Detected 2339.981 MHz processor.

 sudo ./refclock
Refclock: 259.985 MHz

sudo tpc -temp
Turion Power States Optimization and Control - by blackshard - v0.41
Detected processor: Family 10h Processor
Machine has 8 nodes
Processor has 4 cores
Processor has 5 p-states
Processor temperature slew rate:9.0°C

Temperature table:
Node 0    C0:29    C1:29    C2:29    C3:29    
Node 1    C0:29    C1:29    C2:29    C3:29    
Node 2    C0:34    C1:34    C2:34    C3:34    
Node 3    C0:34    C1:34    C2:34    C3:34    
Node 4    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
Node 5    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
Node 6    C0:32    C1:32    C2:32    C3:32    
Node 7    C0:32    C1:32    C2:32    C3:32    

Done.


Temperature diff.

Code:
diff speed2340.txt speed_2340_folding.txt

15,22c17,24
< Node 0    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
< Node 1    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
< Node 2    C0:24    C1:24    C2:24    C3:24    
< Node 3    C0:24    C1:24    C2:24    C3:24    
< Node 4    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
< Node 5    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
< Node 6    C0:23    C1:23    C2:23    C3:23    
< Node 7    C0:21    C1:21    C2:21    C3:21    
---
> Node 0    C0:29    C1:29    C2:29    C3:29    
> Node 1    C0:29    C1:29    C2:29    C3:29    
> Node 2    C0:34    C1:34    C2:34    C3:34    
> Node 3    C0:34    C1:34    C2:34    C3:34    
> Node 4    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
> Node 5    C0:27    C1:27    C2:27    C3:27    
> Node 6    C0:32    C1:32    C2:32    C3:32    
> Node 7    C0:32    C1:32    C2:32    C3:32
 
Last edited:
Those temps are unreal, I take it you are in an airconditioned room?

This is mine:
Code:
Detected processor: Family 10h Processor
Machine has 8 nodes
Processor has 6 cores
Processor has 5 p-states
Processor has 0 boost states
Processor temperature slew rate:9.0°C

Temperature table:
Node 0  C0:44   C1:44   C2:44   C3:44   C4:44   C5:44
Node 1  C0:44   C1:44   C2:44   C3:44   C4:44   C5:44
Node 2  C0:56   C1:56   C2:56   C3:56   C4:56   C5:56
Node 3  C0:56   C1:56   C2:56   C3:56   C4:56   C5:56
Node 4  C0:48   C1:48   C2:48   C3:48   C4:48   C5:48
Node 5  C0:48   C1:48   C2:48   C3:48   C4:48   C5:48
Node 6  C0:61   C1:61   C2:61   C3:61   C4:61   C5:61
Node 7  C0:59   C1:59   C2:59   C3:59   C4:59   C5:59
 
Last edited:
In my basement .. :D ..

Trying to push higher .. but [H]'s bios limits to 262 :D ...
 
262 is NO go ... so .. 260 seems to be all I can get.

few pics of naked rig.

4pnaked1.jpg



4pnaked2.jpg
 
262 is one of the inputs on the "avoid" list if you search back through this thread for the word "avoid".
And I don't think the application will let you enter a number above 262.
I have one rig that will fold at 261.
Did 262 fail for you folding or just would not post?
 
Back
Top