Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H

musky

[H]ard|DCer of the Year 2012
As promised, here is the Ubuntu Desktop installation guide. The basic installation is [post=1037125470]HERE (Post #2)[/post]. Everything else is optional.

[post=1037125472]BFS Installation (Post #3)[/post] is OBSOLETE. There is no reason to install BFS for Folding@home on any system configuration.

[post=1037125476]tear's Langouste Installation (Post #5)[/post] is still practical, especially if you have a slower internet connection. It is now part of the fahinstall script as well.

[post=1037125478]Other tweaks and add-ons (Post #6)[/post] may or may not be useful to you. The basic install adds screen and ssh by default.

[post=1037125479]HFM Installation (Post #7)[/post] can be useful if you want HFM running on a Linux machine for some reason. It is not necessary to fold in Linux.

NOTE: The Linux FAH client is 64 bit, meaning the OS needs to be a 64 bit version as well. You cannot fold with a 32 bit Linux install.

NOTE: We are only supporting the v6.34 console client. We strongly recommend that you do not use the v7 client. If you do, we will not be able to help you much with any issues.

Machine configuration recommendations (UPDATED 9/22/2013)
We recommend the basic install [post=1037125470]post #2[/post] for all systems.

Please PM me with questions/suggestions/corrections.

Last edited:
[post=1037125467]Back to the top[/post]

Basic Ubuntu Desktop Install
EDIT 3/19/13 - We are officially changing our recommendation to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop 64 bit, and we now have an install script that does most of the setup for you.

1. Download the latest 12.04 LTS Desktop 64 bit iso HERE

2. Either burn a CD or create a bootable USB drive from the iso. I recommend using UNetBootin for making bootable USB drives from iso files.

3. Install Ubuntu Desktop. You can leave everything as default, including the disk partitioning (let the installer use the entire hard drive and use ext4.) HERE are some screenshots of a pretty typical install. Once the install completes, start up your machine and log in as your default user set up during the install - this will be your folding user as well.

4. Go to Dash Home and type 'terminal' in the search box. Click the Terminal icon to open a terminal.

5. Download the fahinstall script, make it execuable, and run it with sudo:
Code:
cd /usr/bin
sudo wget https://raw.github.com/team33/fahinstall/released/fahinstall
sudo chmod +x fahinstall
sudo fahinstall
This script will set up everything you need to run Folding@Home on a ramdisk, including various OS tweaks, disabling automatic updates, thekraken wrapper, backup/restore scripts, and samba file sharing for remote access. The client will starts to allow you to configure F@H. You only need to set your user name, team, and passkey. The appropriate run parameters (-smp, -bigadv) will be set for you in the config file based on your machine configuration.

6. Reboot your machine.

You are now ready to fold. Open a terminal and type
Code:
cd ~/fah
./fah6
to start folding. You can also use screen to start the client, which allows you start the client in a separate session and then detach from it so the client runs in the background. To do this, type 'screen' in a terminal and press Enter, then press Enter again at the information screen. Start folding as described previously, then detach from the screen by holding down the Control key and pressing A then D.you can then close the terminal if you would like. To reattach to the screen, type 'screen -r' from a terminal.

You can force a backup at any time by typing 'fahbackup'. Stop the client with Control - C (I would advise making a backup right before you stop it.) If you need to reboot, just reboot - don't worry about stopping the client, as the shutdown scripts will handle backups. You may notice a delay when shutting down/rebooting your machine. This is from the backup script which may pause up to a minute before making a backup.

Last edited:

EDIT 9/22/13 BFS is now obsolete. You should not be installing BFS.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Install Langouste - upload/download de-coupler
Again, thanks to tear.

UPDATE 9/22/13: the langouste install is now part of fahinstall.

To install langouste, go to step 5 in post 2 and run fahinstall.

To configure langouste, you first need to make sure the fah client is not running. Manually run fah with the -configonly tag to set the proxy information (in red below):
Code:
dave@hellhound:~/fah$ ./fah6 -configonly
[13:51:33] Configuring Folding@Home...

User name [musky]?
Team Number [33]?
Passkey [xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]?
Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]?
[COLOR="Red"][B]Use proxy (yes/no) [yes]?
Proxy Name [127.0.0.1]?
Proxy Port [8880]?
Use username & password with proxy [no]?[/B][/COLOR]
Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
 may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
 'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [big]?
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?

How to send the current unit and stop using langouste

Last edited:

Misc Tweaks and Add-ons - these are all optional

=============================================================================
Boot to CLI
Once you have everything set up, there is no need to boot into the GUI. This will let you machine boot to a command line.
1. Open a terminal and type:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Change this line:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to this:
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash text"
Now, update grub:
Code:
sudo update-grub
The next time you reboot, you will boot to a command line. To start the GUI, type:
Code:
sudo service lightdm start
To stop the GUI, type:
Code:
sudo service lightdm stop
===================================================================================

Start FAH on boot:
This requires screen be installed, so make sure it is by going through the previous step.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Add to this file:
Code:
cd /home/<user>/fah && sudo -u <user> screen -d -m ./fah6
If my user is 'horde' (like it is in the H image), my rc.local file ends up like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
cd /home/horde/fah && sudo -u horde screen -d -m ./fah6
exit 0
This causes fah to start on boot as your user in a detached screen. To access it, type:
Code:
screen -r
To detach, hold down the Control key and hit A then D.
====================================================================================

Start FAH in a background screen
You need to make a small script to do this. Type
Code:
cd ~/fah
nano start
You should be looking at a blank file. Enter the following:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# Start FAH
screen -d -m ./fah6
Control X then Y then Enter to save the file. Make your script executable by typing:
Code:
chmod 755 start
To run it, type
Code:
./start
To make sure it started, attach to the new screen by typing
Code:
screen -r
You should see the client running. To detach, hold down the Control key and type A the D.
====================================================================================

Allow auto-login and VNC to work without typing password on host machine (thanks jfb9301)

Applications/Accessories/Passwords and Encryption Keys
Right Click on "Passwords: default"
Type in Old Password
Leave New Password blank
Leave Confirm blank
Click OK
Confirm the security suggestion to allow reduced security.

Now when you reboot the user at the host does not need to authenticate VNC client connections

Last edited:

HFM Install in Linux
HFM.net will run under Ubuntu and probably any other Linux GUI distro. The setup is a little more difficult, but it is not that bad.

UPDATE 9/22/13: We now have an HFM install script. This works in UBUNTU ONLY.
UPDATE 11/3/13: hfminstall is included in fahinstall and in the H folding image - no need to download it.

To install HFM on Ubuntu Desktop:

Download hfminstall (NOTE: this is only necessary if you did NOT use fahinstall to install folding and are NOT using the H folding image):
Code:
cd /usr/bin
sudo wget https://raw.github.com/team33/hfminstall/released/hfminstall
sudo chmod +x hfminstall
Run hfminstall:
Code:
sudo hfminstall

Once installed, you should have a desktop icon to launch HFM. You can add a local client pretty much the same way you would in Wondows - the path will be /home/<user>/fah/.

Setting up remote clients - example
Let's assume we have three remote machines with static IP addresses named larry (192.168.1.150), curly (192.168.1.155), and moe (192.168.1.160). These three machines all have a shared directory called "fah". You are logged into your local machine as user "shimp". First, make some share directories
Code:
mkdir /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/larry
mkdir /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/curly
mkdir /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/moe
Make sure smbfs is installed
Code:
sudo apt-get install smbfs
Mount your shares
Code:
sudo smbmount //192.168.1.150/fah /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/larry -o guest
sudo smbmount //192.168.1.155/fah /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/curly -o guest
sudo smbmount //192.168.1.160/fah /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/moe -o guest
To mount the shares on boot, you need to update fstab:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
Add these three lines to this file
Code:
//192.168.1.150/fah /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/larry         smbfs guest 0 0
//192.168.1.155/fah /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/curly         smbfs guest 0 0
//192.168.1.160/fah /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/moe           smbfs guest 0 0
Adding the remote clients is similar to adding a Windows local client. If you followed these instructions, the path to your remote clients will be /home/shimp/hfm/mounts/<mount name>. If you have a local client, that path will be /home/shimp/fah/.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updated guide :)

Ah... I see now why I wasn't getting the results I was looking for.
I missed some steps.
I'll just start over tonight when I'm done writing my paper that was due yesterday.

Legend......dary!

Huge amount of work in that, thanks Musky. Just converted SR2#2 and 3 over to Langouste.

Thanks for the Guide. I'm a total Linix noob and have only had one successful installation, but that was to a VM.

I am going to give this a try on a couple of boxen (SR-2 & an i7 920). I tried to install on the SR-2, but failed miserably I think because I was trying to install using OC'd settings. Need to figure out the stock settings to do the install. I should have some time tomorrow.

Thanks for the Guide. I'm a total Linix noob and have only had one successful installation, but that was to a VM.

I am going to give this a try on a couple of boxen (SR-2 & an i7 920). I tried to install on the SR-2, but failed miserably I think because I was trying to install using OC'd settings. Need to figure out the stock settings to do the install. I should have some time tomorrow.

The guide doesn't mention anything about overclocked or stock settings; will Ubuntu not install correctly if a system is overclocked?

The guide doesn't mention anything about overclocked or stock settings; will Ubuntu not install correctly if a system is overclocked?

It is an OS install, not much different than any other OS install. Would you leave your overclock setting in place if you were installing Windows?

I can say that I installed Ubuntu on 3 overclock SR-2s, an overclocked I7 970, and an overclocked I7 2600K without issue. Your results may vary, but there is nothing about Ubuntu that is any more or less sensitive to overclocks than any other OS.

if your overclock is stable it will be fine... just like any other OS...

It is an OS install, not much different than any other OS install. Would you leave your overclock setting in place if you were installing Windows?

I can say that I installed Ubuntu on 3 overclock SR-2s, an overclocked I7 970, and an overclocked I7 2600K without issue. Your results may vary, but there is nothing about Ubuntu that is any more or less sensitive to overclocks than any other OS.

I would, actually, if it was stable. I've never installed a Linux OS though and Capreppy's wording made it seem like not being at stock was the reason his install failed.

Going to give this guide a try later in the day: thanks so much for posting it up!

wow musky, so many pro-tips in there its hard to thank you enough. You've done the F@H community quite a service!

Awesome job musky.

In terms of overclocking if it is stable you will have no problems.

I find that Windows XP 64-bit and Windows 2003 64-bit are the most sensitive to overclocks, so you can always test on one of these first and then dive in.

But generally if it's stable in Windows it will be in Linux.

epic work musky. thanks for this.

however, reading this got me thinking about making a guide for installing windows. Here it goes:

1. Start installing windows.
2. Click on the buttons when prompted.
3. ........

Having said that, I'm still tempted to try ubuntu

epic work musky. thanks for this.

however, reading this got me thinking about making a guide for installing windows. Here it goes:

1. Start installing windows.
2. Click on the buttons when prompted.
3. ........

Having said that, I'm still tempted to try ubuntu

Flip the world around where all the folders run linux and we have this new easy to install OS... called winblows ...you just click and go.... anyone can install it... you only take a 30% tpf hit...

Flip the world around where all the folders run linux and we have this new easy to install OS... called winblows ...you just click and go.... anyone can install it... you only take a 30% tpf hit...
unfortunately, all of my rigs except one is used by the wife.

the WAF for linux is very, very, very low

I can help u skin it like windows :p

I can give a number.... it may re-route to your cell...but...
so whats the computer not used by your wife .... home server?

Awesome guide.

One question, with a single socket G34 machine would I want to install BFS like on other single socket platforms or is it a no-no for AMD in general?

Awesome guide.

One question, with a single socket G34 machine would I want to install BFS like on other single socket platforms or is it a no-no for AMD in general?

i seem to be the only one that has had an issue with BFS on a single AMD (1090T) system. Though Tobit tested it on his Athlon in a VM w/ no issues, so i'm thinking its a borked install on my end, or it doesnt like one of the many tweaks i applied after the fact.

Awesome guide.

i seem to be the only one that has had an issue with BFS on a single AMD (1090T) system. Though Tobit tested it on his Athlon in a VM w/ no issues, so i'm thinking its a borked install on my end, or it doesnt like one of the many tweaks i applied after the fact.

I had issues on mine... I would give it a shot... we need the data point either way...

I had issues on mine... I would give it a shot... we need the data point either way...

on which system ? your 2p system ?

I mean hell give it a go, since worst case you just boot into a different kernal...

I can give a number.... it may re-route to your cell...but...
so whats the computer not used by your wife .... home server?
I don't think single guys can appreciate the fury of an annoyed significant other when the computer doesn't work.

One of my HTPCs (the sandy brige) has almost ended up with a steak knife through the motherboard twice in the past week since something is causing it to lock up whenever the TV is turned on. She can't do her Jillian 30 Day Shred video without rebooting and logging in.

I don't think single guys can appreciate the fury of an annoyed significant other when the computer doesn't work.

I fix things fast in those instances...
bad smell from certain someones laptop over the summer... disassembled ,removed cat hairs from fan, reassembled in an hour...

but...plastic thing that holds keyboard ribbon in borked up... so yeah that got some nice complaints... I kinda lost my envy till it was fixed...

maybe you should put a real gfx card in the htpc ;)

its got a gtx460, and I've tried two different ones

Yes, AMD datapoints are needed since I do not have any AMD systems to test with. 10e did some testing with his 4p machine, which is where the "don't use BFS on a 4p system' comes from. I assume 2p AMD systems would behave similarly. I have no idea on single proc AMD machines, G34 or otherwise. Any new data is much appreciated. I'll update the guide accordingly.

I have some e5649's coming in this week for the SR-2. I'm going to give this a try. It's been a while since I installed Ubuntu....does it install a boot manager so I can boot Win 7 or Ubuntu?

One of my HTPCs (the sandy brige) has almost ended up with a steak knife through the motherboard twice in the past week since something is causing it to lock up whenever the TV is turned on. She can't do her Jillian 30 Day Shred video without rebooting and logging in.

Oh I totally understand. I dread upgrading the fiance's PC lest I introduce some instability or other issue and have to troubleshoot while under the gun of an annoyed SO who just wants to play the Sims.

Yes, AMD datapoints are needed since I do not have any AMD systems to test with. 10e did some testing with his 4p machine, which is where the "don't use BFS on a 4p system' comes from. I assume 2p AMD systems would behave similarly. I have no idea on single proc AMD machines, G34 or otherwise. Any new data is much appreciated. I'll update the guide accordingly.

I guess I'll give it a shot, I'm just not confident I'll be able to recognize if it fucks up or not. What are the symptoms of BFS bitching?

I have some e5649's coming in this week for the SR-2. I'm going to give this a try. It's been a while since I installed Ubuntu....does it install a boot manager so I can boot Win 7 or Ubuntu?

Yes. Install Windows first and don't use the whole disk. Then install Ubuntu on the remaining free dsk space - you still want to manually partition to use ext3 instead of ext4. That is about it - grub will pick up both OS's and give you a choice at boot. The only thing you may need to do is reconfigure grub to pick a default OS.

I guess I'll give it a shot, I'm just not confident I'll be able to recognize if it fucks up or not. What are the symptoms of BFS bitching?

I haven't heard reports on BFS "bitching" with AMD systems other than feather (and we haven't ruled out "operator error" on that one.) What you will see is a big performance increase one way or the other. Install without BFS and run a few frames, then install BFS and run a few more frames to see which is faster.

I haven't heard reports on BFS "bitching" with AMD systems other than feather (and we haven't ruled out "operator error" on that one.)
Just started folding a p7142 here just a few minutes ago on my X4 test system with the BFS kernel. No issues.

Back