4p build questions

sbinh

2[H]4U
1- What is the minimum requirement for PSU? Would Corsair TX850 be enough (with 1x 8pin y-splitter + 1x 6pin to 8pin adapter) ?
2- Can use only 1 cpu to setup, then add the rest later?
3- Can use Musky's method to mount socket 1366 waterblock for G34 socket?
4- Can use on board video? (just for display)

.....(may add later :D ).....

1- What is the minimum requirement for PSU? Would Corsair TX850 be enough (with 1x 8pin y-splitter + 1x 6pin to 8pin adapter) ?
2- Can use only 1 cpu to setup, then add the rest later?
4- Can use on board video? (just for display)

.....(may add later :D ).....

1. Depends on the CPUs. OC'd 6174s would be fine, but OC'd 6180's would be pushing it.
2. Yes. You can gradually acquire CPUs. Depending on the board, you may need to populate specific sockets to get the system to boot. Make sure to have 4 sticks of ram for each populated socket.
3. no clue
4. yes. I do this the few times i need hands on access to the system.

850W will be fine, 70A at 12V means it can handle an at-the-wall reading of over 1000W easily.

Last edited:
thanks ... Currently, only use with H8QGL-IF+ and 4x 6128 (max upgrade would be 6174 :D but ..)

Comparing to TX850, is Ultra X3 1kw any better?

Both are 70A with a single 12V rail, the TX850 should be a few % more efficient.

thanks ... Currently, only use with H8QGL-IF+ and 4x 6128 (max upgrade would be 6174 :D but ..)

Seems to me that if you have a 4p with octo's, and you buy a set of dodecas, you might as well just buy another mobo, lol

I doubt it would work exactly the same way since I have not seen any of the mounting braces on 1366 waterblocks that can collapse, so the shelving bracket won't be wide enough. I'm sure there would be a way to do it though. You may be better off with a socket 771 block mounted 45 deg from normal. That should line up with a G34's mounting holes about perfectly.

I doubt it would work exactly the same way since I have not seen any of the mounting braces on 1366 waterblocks that can collapse, so the shelving bracket won't be wide enough. I'm sure there would be a way to do it though. You may be better off with a socket 771 block mounted 45 deg from normal. That should line up with a G34's mounting holes about perfectly.

If it doesn't work "perfectly", then I think I would use "Crown Bolt 1 in. x 36 in. Aluminum 1/8 in. Thick Flat" (from Homedepot). Cut and drill 3 holes ... :D

What water block do you have?

Probably use all blocks that I have available :D .. TDX, EK, swiftech, Dtek .. :D

Basicly done ... now need to swap the PSU from current rig for this one ....

34410904.jpg

77680361.jpg

Might change to watercool if have time and cpus' temp is "BAD" :D....

Man, musky should "pretty" up his mod and sell them to shops.

I bet you server folk would love it for day to day server use.

Man, musky should "pretty" up his mod and sell them to shops.

I bet you server folk would love it for day to day server use.

The would have trouble fitting it in a 4U rackmount case. That would be the deal breaker lol. Lets no even think about 1U or 2U cases lol.

Thanks Tear. I plan to set this rig on a plywood piece (3/4" x 2' x 2' or maybe 3/4" x 2' x 3' ).

This post need to be fixed: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038043000&postcount=4 ...

I used 4x CM Hyper 212+ on Supermicro H8QGL-IF+ board and it works. Just need to install HSF on socket 2 and 3 first, then install the others.

That post pre-dates the "musky mod" you used. It is still wrong though. 212+s will not fit on any 4p SM board mounted as described in the post. Using the alternative method, it will work on any SM 4p board.

Everything is hooked up. Power up, few seconds later green light for IPMI Heartbeat lit up and then flashing. LED for Serverboard Power-On is NOT lit up ... Got lights on keyboard.

Pushed power button (and held for 4-5 seconds), nothing going.

What did I miss?

Did you get rid of the electricity conducting ESD bag as previously suggested? Could be shorting things out.

Do the fans spin?

I did not use that bag. mobo is now laying on plywood.
Fans are. not running

Everything is hooked up. Power up, few seconds later green light for IPMI Heartbeat lit up and then flashing. LED for Serverboard Power-On is NOT lit up ... Got lights on keyboard.

Pushed power button (and held for 4-5 seconds), nothing going.

What did I miss?

As much as I hate to say it, start pulling CPUs. I have seen this way too many times, and for me it has always been either a bad CPU or a bad MB socket - I have had both and the symptoms were the same.

Did you get rid of the electricity conducting ESD bag as previously suggested? Could be shorting things out.

It pains me to admit this, but only recently did I stop doing this. Can't tell you how many computers I've ran on a ESD bag while testing. Thankfully never fried anything!

To the OP -

Have quickly learned with multi-socket systems that the first thing you do is take out all the RAM but for one stick. If that still doesn't work, remove all processors except for CPU0 and build up from there. Also bear in mind that it's possible (but let's hope not) that CPU0 is bad, so swap in a different one if this test fails initially; same for the RAM.

Other thoughts:

Clear the BIOS via jumper / battery removal; has helped a few times in my case.

If available, switch to the backup BIOS image.

Haven't had this issue, and am sure you checked everything first, but make sure your MB doesn't require XYZ BIOS in order to work with your particular processors.

There was something else, but can't remember it for the life of me. :(

Took all 3 cpus from socket 2, 3 and 4 off, only leave cpu in socket 1 and one (1) ram stick.... still having same issue.

Removed cpu in socket 1, and replaced with cpu in socket 2 (earlier)--- still don't have mobo poweron led. Heartbeat led is still flasing ....

If you have all three 8-pin power connectors plugged in, remove the third one.
I had an issue once and found the third adapter was causing the symptoms you are experiencing.
I now run only two 8-pin on all my boards.

Since I am the jack ass that sold you the board, I figured I would help you out here... (also posted for you on Overclockers). I am real sorry you are having that issue, I feel terrible, nothing worse than selling an item, only for it to seem not to work for the person that bought it (especially one of this nature)...

The first power up scared me too, as it seemed I had that issue (taking FOREVER), except my fans and HDD spun up. Also, the Serverboard Power-On light should turn on after a while when the PSU is hooked up, and the "Heart Beat" light as well. After reading some of the tips above, I was thinking what they had posted too... RAM/CPU check (each stick/socket), and CMOS clearing tricks... Like I PM'd you, I never had to update the BIOS, but I would give that a try as well. Heck try the [H] bios if possible. But I dont know if that would be a wise remedy.

Linden, I took the battery off last night. Give it whole night to discharge .. :D

Will try to remove 3rd 8-pin when I have time ..

Since I am the jack ass that sold you the board, I figured I would help you out here... (also posted for you on Overclockers). I am real sorry you are having that issue, I feel terrible, nothing worse than selling an item, only for it to seem not to work for the person that bought it (especially one of this nature)...

The first power up scared me too, as it seemed I had that issue (taking FOREVER), except my fans and HDD spun up. Also, the Serverboard Power-On light should turn on after a while when the PSU is hooked up, and the "Heart Beat" light as well. After reading some of the tips above, I was thinking what they had posted too... RAM/CPU check (each stick/socket), and CMOS clearing tricks... Like I PM'd you, I never had to update the BIOS, but I would give that a try as well. Heck try the [H] bios if possible. But I dont know if that would be a wise remedy.

Don't say that, I ain't blame anyone (just yet :D) ...

Already tried all posibilities:
- reset CMOS - first thing to do
- removed CPUs -- swapped ...
- removed all but 1 RAM stick

no luck just yet.

- removed battery and everything attached to the board(ram, cpu, keyboard, mouse, hdd... ) --- don't know if it works or not yet....

I might try dwdawg's suggestion to see if it works.

If you have all three 8-pin power connectors plugged in, remove the third one.
I had an issue once and found the third adapter was causing the symptoms you are experiencing.
I now run only two 8-pin on all my boards.

Woot ... woot .. it works.

I use the HDD from other rig and boot up, it goes right into windows.
One (1) weird thing was that, it showed only 2 CPUs ... 8 cores .. 16 threads.

Went to BIOS and couldn't find option to enable/disable cpu(s) ...

Is there anything I should aware of ?

Currently reinstall windows (and Ubuntu 11.10 later)....

Awesome, although I'm a little concerned that 2 cpu's don't show up.
I have no idea what could cause that.

If two CPUs are showing, it tend to believe there is nothing wrong with the motherboard. Congratulations, BTW, I know that you and Norcalsteve must feel tons better know. ;)

That is not to say there aren't hardware problems. What comes to mind is that you might not have optimal socket pins contact with the metallic pads on the bottom of two CPUs. If the Linux re-installation doesn't solve the problem, consider pulling the system apart - completely, and closely inspecting the CPU sockets and CPU undersides. All the CPU pads should be slightly reflective, not dull. You can clean them with a lint-free cotton cloth. Use canned air to blow out the sockets. Please excuse me if this already part of your building regimen, but I just wanted you to be thorough. :)

All desktop versions of windows can only access 2 processors. Have to get an enterprise version to utilize more.

dwdawg, hope it's not the 2 i told you :D

Linden, thanks. I think Norcalsteve feels way much better now.

Can I run 3 cpus at a time? I need to test if CPU in socket 3 or 4 is bad -- or those 2 sockets are bad themself.

I use winxp pro 64 bit ... still can see more than 2 processros?

dwdawg, hope it's not the 2 i told you :D

Linden, thanks. I think Norcalsteve feels way much better now.

Can I run 3 cpus at a time? I need to test if CPU in socket 3 or 4 is bad -- or those 2 sockets are bad themself.

I use winxp pro 64 bit ... still can see more than 2 processros?

XP Pro and newer can't see more than 2 processors. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888732

Embrace the penguin.

Back