4K or Bust!

I bought a 2017 LG C7 OLED this past July...really impressed with the HDR (the LG supports 4 HDR formats)...some of those YouTube HLG videos are jawdroppingly stunning...the color and detail are insane...best images I've ever seen on screen

Got a Sony X900E for Christmas and man, HDR10 is fucking crazy. Watching Planet Earth 2 on Netflix is like looking into a window.

Credit goes to the boys doing the cgi because they made those TV in the foreground scenes nearly seamless. If it wasn't for the limitations of lighting in render engines (nits in this case) it almost could have fooled me.

Conversation tonight after buying that new 4K "TV":

What do you want to watch tonight?

-Let's watch that new demo.

-Hope it's better than the last one. It was too predictable.

But man, you could see the lice on the man's beard.

-Oh yeah!

Thanks for the heads up. LG & HiSense both have a bunch of cool demo vids. During thanksgiving I put an hours worth on a external ssd to stream to our new 4k projector. A lot of oohs and ah's for 'em. This'll be one more to to add to the collection.

We have some birds in our living room and they all turn to watch 'the wall' when I put on nature 4k vids. It's pretty cool.

Looked incredible on my KS8000

4K is amazing as long as you don't have some tiny ass display.

40+ for 4K

I bought a 2017 LG C7 OLED this past July...really impressed with the HDR (the LG supports 4 HDR formats)...some of those YouTube HLG videos are jawdroppingly stunning...the color and detail are insane...best images I've ever seen on screen

I got a 65" C7 a few weeks ago, fantastic TV. If you haven't seen it already, there's a lot of good HDR demos here: http://4kmedia.org/tag/hdr/

The video in 4K looked great on my 2048*1152 screen as well ;) .

I was looking at CES 2018 the Samsung screen that delivers 8K and with some proper implementation of scaling this could work out well. When up scaling (from 1080p) this was obvious that it beats 4K , just wondering how much of a difference it will make from 4K to 8K with 4k content.

It seems that the industry is pushing TV sizes up even this year.

My LCD TV?

540p from 2005!

I still stream 1080p content to it as whilst I get a nice neat 50% downscale I get the benefit of higher bitrate data being thrown at the screen. Works really well. A lot of folks haven't really noticed it's not HD and often comment on how 'solid and clean' the picture is. I also got it properly calibrated which helps.

I will go 4K eventually but a lot of stuff and standards (HDR etc.) need to settle. Maybe this coming Xmas...

I still stream 1080p content to it as whilst I get a nice neat 50% downscale I get the benefit of higher bitrate data being thrown at the screen. Works really well. A lot of folks haven't really noticed it's not HD and often comment on how 'solid and clean' the picture is. I also got it properly calibrated which helps.

I will go 4K eventually but a lot of stuff and standards (HDR etc.) need to settle. Maybe this coming Xmas...

Too true on those points. I've always been a bit obsessive about our display techs. From the days of using to 2 wires to a t.v.>coaxial>gold plated rca>gold plated s-video(1024x768) and the many leaps of digital. My greatest disappointments with digital have had to do with compression techniques/bit rates. A lot of people cringe at remembering the super-bit dvd(10Mbps/480p) but I can honestly say we noticed the difference back in the day. I also remember when Avatar bragged about its 45-50mbps(or something like that)/1080p and again most people could see the difference. As, once again, an early adopter of this(4k) tech I'm seeing much of the same history repeat. The saddest part is how much more complicated its getting now with the HDR ecosystem, various DI sources/mastering, and HDMI & physical medium standards only barely able to cope. Fortunately the chips put in displays and quality of panels often compensate for most of these shortfalls and proper calibration is more essential than ever but it's still the usual smoke and mirrors for the final effect. However, if successfully delivered, the final effect is stunning.

The 4K looks great on my 4k 15" screen too, but it would still look great at 1080p as long as it's a good screen and color reproduction. Most depends on distance from screen like Nvidias coming BFGD at 65" if you sit less than 2m from the screen it would look bad at 1080p...

4k on youtube is like watching 1080p at 720p. They just dont have good bitrate ever.

Well, I tried... tried buffering anyway. Damn you 4K and my slow internet!! The little bit I seen looked pretty nice!

Does that include the chair reviews?
Actually yes. That said, those chair assembly videos are not exactly shot with the best visual quality in mind. LOL.

Reactions: kju1
like this
Got a Sony X900E for Christmas and man, HDR10 is fucking crazy. Watching Planet Earth 2 on Netflix is like looking into a window.

Unless I am mistaken- Planet earth 2 on Netflix is not in HDR, just 4K. The blurays however have HDR+4K.

This thread should convince people that a 4K display is not necessary. The only content you're going to get that can take advantage of it will be special Blu-Ray discs and demo clips that you can download. It's hard enough to find proper 1920x1080i content that isn't just upconverted or hasn't been compressed to a level that looks like SD on cable TV or streaming services. If you look at some of the original HDTV clips that were actually trying to illustrate how great 1080i video could look -- it's still impressive compared to what you regularly get today. The same thing is happening with the 4K demos.

This thread should convince people that a 4K display is not necessary. The only content you're going to get that can take advantage of it will be special Blu-Ray discs and demo clips that you can download. It's hard enough to find proper 1920x1080p content that isn't just upconverted or hasn't been compressed to a level that looks like SD on cable TV or streaming services. If you look at some of the original HDTV clips that were actually trying to illustrate how great 1080p video could look -- it's still impressive compared to what you regularly get today. The same thing is happening with the 4K demos.
FTFY

I've been wanting to put my A1E through it's paces, though I haven't been accustomed to navigating the YouTube app on my TV to find these videos. Will try this out tonight for sure!

Back