4890 In Stock

Well if they price them at $250-ish they had better be as fast as a lot of people have been claiming, i.e. as much as 20% faster than the 4870s 1GB... Since you can get one of those for $175 right now (with a game!). Y'know, $250 being a 40% price hike.

Real question is whether they'll start to drop in price w/MIRs and stuff after the initial launch, at which point you'd have to guess they would phase out the 48xx line, or if they'll keep producing both...
yeah give it 2 weeks after launch and the price will come down.

The date probably got moved up to throw nVidia off. Kind of wierd that there is retail availability but sites are still under an NDA yet again :p

The date probably got moved up to throw nVidia off. Kind of wierd that there is retail availability but sites are still under an NDA yet again :p
yeah I think ATI and Nvidia like to do that shit to each other with the dates. also why does it seem that only ATI is being innovative lately? Nvidia seems to be just sitting on their ass and only reacting when ATI does something first.

also why does it seem that only ATI is being innovative lately? Nvidia seems to be just sitting on their ass and only reacting when ATI does something first.

I love ATi, but sadly I think it's the complete opposite.

Timeline:
4870/4870X2 | GTX 260, GTX260
time passes.
GTX285, GTX295
more time passes.
finally ATi responds with the rather weak 4890. even with the smaller fab process, the higher power draw and only slightly higher clocks are not enough to topple the "performance crown" of the 285 and 295 (although I wouldn't buy them myself).

Timeline:
time passes.
GTX285, GTX295
more time passes.
finally ATi responds with the rather weak 4890. even with the smaller fab process, the higher power draw and only slightly higher clocks are not enough to topple the "performance crown" of the 285 and 295 (although I wouldn't buy them myself).
we have the 295 because of the 4870x2...

How can you call the 4980 'rather weak' when it's not even out? Oh and it uses the same process as the 4780... They're both 55nm. ATI has had NVidia beat at the low end since they came out with the 4xxx series and they've been very competitive at the mid-range... That's what they were shooting for from the start, they made it very clear they weren't gonna continue the race to try and topple NV's flagship card.

Whether that's a sound strategy or not is up for debate. The 4870X2 is still priced lower than the 295, so it's not like they're in direct competition... Though arguably anyone with that kinda budget and the 30" display to take advantage of it will probably just go for the highest performing part regardless.

Anyway, I think you can make a fair argument that NVidia has been reacting lately if you look at the way they've continued to slash prices of their GT2xx series w/o releasing any newer low/mid-range parts... If ATI has really managed to eke out faster clocks out of RV790 they did exactly what NVidia hasn't been able to do in order to compete at the lower end where more cards are sold. Either way, we all win. :D

I don't think ATI's goal has ever been to take the "performance crown".
The only reason Nvidia cares about a "performance crown" is because people like you will buy their products, because you know Nvidia has the "performance crown".

ATI likes to attack the $200 to $300 range, which is the most profitable range for video card sales.

Any company would like to have a flagship product that trounces the competition's... If ATI has shifted focus it's because they figured they could attack the low/mid-range market w/o necessarily flaunting that flagship product, or rather, in spite of lacking that flagship product. But if they could do both w/o stretching themselves thin they surely would. Regardless, there's a market for those cards, and for CF/SLI, and for X2 cards... It's not as large a market, but it's there and it's full of enthusiasts who drive word of mouth.

How can you call the 4980 'rather weak' when it's not even out? Oh and it uses the same process as the 4780... They're both 55nm. ATI has had NVidia beat at the low end since they came out with the 4xxx series and they've been very competitive at the mid-range... That's what they were shooting for from the start, they made it very clear they weren't gonna continue the race to try and topple NV's flagship card.
My bad on the chip fab part. I guess I'm mixing up info for other cards as I was under the impression it was a 40nm die shrink. But there was info floating around that showed the card only had 7% or so higher clocks than the 4870. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
I don't think ATI's goal has ever been to take the "performance crown".
The only reason Nvidia cares about a "performance crown" is because people like you will buy their products, because you know Nvidia has the "performance crown".
Oh god, generalize and insult me more. You're making me hard. I'm running a 4870 1GB and I'm always short on cash, so I won't ever buy the BEST card out there. UtopiA: because it's fun to make false assumptions about people on the internet.

Guesses for the GPU clock speed are all over the place, it seems like it'll be at 'least an 850MHz base clock speed with a lot of factory-OC'd parts available; and supposedly there's plenty more headroom in there than there was on the 48xx/RV770 parts, won't know 'till they're out though. It's all speculation based on non-retail parts at this point. Die shrink's going into their lower range parts first apparently.

yeah I think ATI and Nvidia like to do that shit to each other with the dates. also why does it seem that only ATI is being innovative lately? Nvidia seems to be just sitting on their ass and only reacting when ATI does something first.

actually I think its a case of lack of control, people are already selling the damn thing before the NDA is even lifted. So its more like they are throwing their hands up in surrender (not that the publicity is hurting them any :D )

Beats the hell out of paper launches though.
Quoted for truth.

Numbers will be available soon enough, just have some patience. I have a feeling these should end up as solid buys considering their price under NDA now and the fact that they aren't even "out" yet.

ZOMFG

Wait for [H] review done with official Ati 9.4 Catalyst or better drivers on April 2nd!

I think nvidia is reacting to ati also. They had to make a huge price adjustment 2 weeks after they released the gtx 280 and gtx 260 cards. If it wasnt for ati, we would still have to pay $650 for a gtx 280. The gtx 295 wouldnt exist either. I say "go red team" and "go green team". Gives me way more options for the money. Long live ati and nvidia!

I think nvidia is reacting to ati also. They had to make a huge price adjustment 2 weeks after they released the gtx 280 and gtx 260 cards. If it wasnt for ati, we would still have to pay $650 for a gtx 280. The gtx 295 wouldnt exist either. I say "go red team" and "go green team". Gives me way more options for the money. Long live ati and nvidia!
yeppers

we have the 295 because of the 4870x2...

flamwar1bm.png

Here we go...

Guys, each company answers the other as soon as they can. It's called competition, that's how it works: they compete for your dollar. What is so complicated about this?

EDIT: And awesome pic Jon55 :D

Guys, each company answers the other as soon as they can. It's called competition, that's how it works: they compete for your dollar. What is so complicated about this?

EDIT: And awesome pic Jon55 :D
exactly. the people telling him that their games run smoothly on the 512mb version just arent playing the 2 or 3 games that need more than 512mb. also the people saying its just a few fps dont get it either. when you run out of vram the game will hitch and that kills the experience. OP spend the extra money for the 1gb because it is needed already in 2 or 3 games with high settings and AA so why be gimped right from the start?

also why does it seem that only ATI is being innovative lately? Nvidia seems to be just sitting on their ass and only reacting when ATI does something first.

I'm not sure I'd call releasing the same card with faster clocks and a die shrink being "innovative". Sure, that's what nVidia does, too, but in this case neither of them are "innovating" anything. :cool:

New features + large performance increase for less power/heat = innovation.

I'm not sure I'd call releasing the same card with faster clocks and a die shrink being "innovative". Sure, that's what nVidia does, too, but in this case neither of them are "innovating" anything. :cool:

well yeah but in general it looks like ATI seems to be the one doing something more than just reacting. at least in this round.

If they give you that innovation immediately, they won't make money. They only feed you a little when you're hungry, but not a full buffet.

Timeline:
HD 4870 1GB | renamed some card to GT 130
HD 4830 | renamed some card to GT 120
HD 4650/4670 | renamed some card to GTS 150
HD 4350/4550 | renamed some card to GTS 250

GTX285, GTX295
more time passes.

Fixed :p

Frankly, I don't think ATI gives a damn if it doesn't have the all-time performance crown with a single GPU - its winning the midrange battle, and its hurting Nvidia and it shows

And its a bit early to conclude the performance of the 4890 now, don'tcha think?

nVidia's innovation comes in the form of renaming cards.

Still no good leaks, reviews or benchmarks? :eek:

Bah The Internet is letting me down again :D

Anyone normally publishing reviews is under NDA still even with retail availability. There is also the matter of the lack of drivers for this card as 9.4 aren't out yet.

It's funny seeing nVidia fanboys whine about ATI but ATI is the reason they're getting such good deals on their nVidia cards. ATI is putting a lot of pressure on GPU prices and all PC gamers should be thankful.

Back