42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Seems this fluctuatees between $1299, $1149, and $999.
If price comes back down, I will probably nab one.

Problem with 3090 not doing 120hz on the Sony 50", X90J, is resolved with a Zestkit HDMI cable. Old cables that work with the 6900XT and 3080Ti had a loose fit in the 3090 plug. The Zestkit was a solid tight fit. I almost could not insert the plug into the TV. Anyways perfect 120hz, zero blanking, 10bit HDR all work with zero corruption etc. So far.

If price comes back down, I will probably nab one.

Problem with 3090 not doing 120hz on the Sony 50", X90J, is resolved with a Zestkit HDMI cable. Old cables that work with the 6900XT and 3080Ti had a loose fit in the 3090 plug. The Zestkit was a solid tight fit. I almost could not insert the plug into the TV. Anyways perfect 120hz, zero blanking, 10bit HDR all work with zero corruption etc. So far.

What games are you playing on that?

Resident Evil Village, then go back to Doom Eternal or Metro Exudus. Also Flight Simulator periodically.

Forgot one, Farcry 6, was playing that on this TV with the 6900XT but started switching/building systems. Which took longer then I thought it would due to old age procrastination.

but noone does a comparison. w/o it, how would you know?
Because it's still the same old LCD tech under the hood, just with more lighting zones. Still no true blacks, still blooming problems, and still all the other limitations of LCD/LED. The only real competition for OLEDs feature set is MicroLEDs, which for consumers is still a few years off.

After doing a ton of research I am about to buy a new LG C2 42. I have the option of buying an additional warranty without or with burn in coverage. How good is the standard LG warranty? Are many of you buying the extra coverage? I will be using this as a desktop and gaming machine for 10 hours a day but I do plan on taking precautions, i.e. no taskbar, no icons, black background, screen saver, and running the builtin pixel refresh.

Thanks

After doing a ton of research I am about to buy a new LG C2 42. I have the option of buying an additional warranty without or with burn in coverage. How good is the standard LG warranty? Are many of you buying the extra coverage? I will be using this as a desktop and gaming machine for 10 hours a day but I do plan on taking precautions, i.e. no taskbar, no icons, black background, screen saver, and running the builtin pixel refresh.

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about it based on all I've read.

P. S. You might want to look at this deal: https://slickdeals.net/f/16109062-4...-oled42c2pua-917-59-ac-free-shipping-via-ebay

$917 via buydig on eBay after coupon.

People, people, get in on this deal. I waited 2 days to accept the offer from Greentoe and when I checked my email today they gave me an even BETTER deal! $899, free shipping, no taxes, to my door. There is NO REASON not to buy at this price.
Good luck!

I setup my 42 this morning, this thing is pretty great. I have to get accustomed to a larger monitor again but the image is amazing.

I am using for work and play so we will see. So far 9 hours today for work the ABL or whatever didn't really bother me.

I setup my 42 this morning, this thing is pretty great. I have to get accustomed to a larger monitor again but the image is amazing.

I am using for work and play so we will see. So far 9 hours today for work the ABL or whatever didn't really bother me.

. . .

I have to get accustomed to a larger monitor again

I would recommend sitting at least 29" away screen surface to eyeballs to get to at least the ~ 60 PPD point if you can wrangle that distance somehow. Beneath that 60PPD and you will get some text fringing and graphics aliasing, and you'll push the extents of the screen more grossly outside of your human viewpoint. The closer you sit the larger the pixels (and WOLED subpixels) will appear and the greater the angle to the edges of the screen will be, more outside of your human viewpoint.

As mentioned in reply to some recent comments, the closer you sit to the screen the worse you are essentially viewing the extreme edges of the screen on an off-angle, as if you you were viewing the screen from the sides rather than centered. So that will exacerbate the color uniformity issue on the sides of the screen too.

So far 9 hours today for work the ABL or whatever didn't really bother me.

You can set up a different named profile other than the game one so that you get lower peak brightness that is in a more traditional SDR range. So it would be beneath the ABL threshold for when you are using static desktop/apps that aren't HDR. Then you could switch back to a named profile set up for media if watching vids , and back to the game one for games. The profiles all have names representative of their default settings but they can all be broken down to whatever you want if you take the time to tweak them. Swap named modes via the quick menu or by enabling voice control and holding the mic ( e.g. "Cinema mode", .. "game mode", or you can say "Switch to APS mode", etc. if you want to say it as a sentence).

Last edited:
If you're a PG42UQ owner do not update to v32. There's a possibility of bricking your monitor.

Yeah I've seen some reports of this. Pretty shitty situation.
Yeah my friends is bricked and he just received a replacement from Asus after his original monitor developed a horizontal line. I think the issue is going from V31 to V32.

Now that the C2 can be had for $899 no tax via greentoe, I'm not sure if the $500-600 difference makes any sense.

Yeah my friends is bricked and he just received a replacement from Asus after his original monitor developed a horizontal line. I think the issue is going from V31 to V32.

Now that the C2 can be had for $899 no tax via greentoe, I'm not sure if the $500-600 difference makes any sense.

AG coatings suck anyway imo. Improper lighting conditions and room layouts that allow direct light sources to hit a screen surface are going to pollute the screen regardless.

From TFTcentral review of the PG42UQ:

The PG42UQ features a more traditional monitor-like matte anti-glare coating, as opposed to a glossy panel coating like you’d find on TV’s including the LG C2. This does a very good job of reducing reflections and handling external light sources like windows and lamps and we noticed much better reflection handling (no surprise) than the LG C2. However this does mean that in some conditions the blacks do not look as deep or inky visually to the user. With this being an OLED panel, famous for its true blacks and amazing contrast ratio this could be considered a problem – are you “wasting” that by having an AG coating that reduces your perceived contrast?
In certain conditions blacks look a little more dark grey as the anti-reflective coating reflects some of the surrounding light back at you and it “dulls” the contrast a bit. The anti-glare coating means the image is not as clear and clean as a fully glossy coating. You don’t get this same effect if the coating is fully glossy as there’s no AG layer, but what you do get instead is more reflections. Don’t forget this same thing applies to all AG coated desktop monitors, you have the same impact on perceived black depth and contrast on IPS, TN Film and VA panels depending on your lighting conditions if there’s an AG coating used. You’d still get better relative blacks and contrast on the OLED (not to mention other benefits) compared with LCD technologies. They are all impacted in the same way by their coatings.

Last edited:
Which level of scaling do you guys prefer on a 42/4k display?
I tried 100%, but it’s tiny as hell, so I switched to 200% and everything is now big enough for my old eyes 😏

Which level of scaling do you guys prefer on a 42/4k display?
I tried 100%, but it’s tiny as hell, so I switched to 200% and everything is now big enough for my old eyes 😏
I used 125% (or 120% on MacOS) on the 48" model at 1m viewing distance. 200% would be effectively the screen area of a 1080p screen but of course with much sharper UI/text. I use 150% (1440p) on my 28" 4K display.

It's a shame that neither Windows or MacOS supports smaller increments as 125% was a tad too large while 120% was just right. On Windows you can set a custom scaling level but it applies to every monitor and doesn't work correctly as it uses the next closest scaling level for UI usually.

Best viewing distances are 60ppd to 80ppd, which on a 42" 4k is 29" to ~ 41".

At the same PPD any two 4k screens will have the exact same percieved default text size, screen size, and viewing angle.

Personally I sit close to the 80ppd point because I'm using multiple monitors. I use default text sizes on them all even though the side ones are 43 inch so are even higher ppd. some of my individual apps can scale with the mouse wheel (3rd party file manager, firefox/chrome web browser, 3rd party notepad) and some apps allow customized fonts and sizes.

I'd get a pair of Rx glasses for reading if screen distance wasn't good for farsightedness or nearsightedness.

Best viewing distances are 60ppd to 80ppd, which on a 42" 4k is 29" to ~ 41".

At the same PPD any two 4k screens will have the exact same percieved default text size, screen size, and viewing angle.

Personally I sit close to the 80ppd point because I'm using multiple monitors. I use default text sizes on them all even though the side ones are 43 inch so are even higher ppd. some of my individual apps can scale with the mouse wheel (3rd party file manager, firefox/chrome web browser, 3rd party notepad) and some apps allow customized fonts and sizes.

I'd get a pair of Rx glasses for reading if screen distance wasn't good for farsightedness or nearsightedness.

The depth of my desk is 28-1/2". I just bought the AW3423DW yesterday, I have it much closer, but even with the stand backed up to the edge of the desk the screen is then 18" to 20" fro my face. I like this new monitor, don't love it, still feels small. Doubting I keep it. Might go C2 42

Hi guys,

I'm really confused about GSync vs VRR vs Vsync. I have a Nvdia 3080, activated GSync (in the nvidia panel and on the LG C2) but still get occasional screen tearing. I thought Gsync got rid of the tearing without needing VSync? (Which as I undertand it creates input lag). Do I need to activate VSync also?

Hi guys,

I'm really confused about GSync vs VRR vs Vsync. I have a Nvdia 3080, activated GSync (in the nvidia panel and on the LG C2) but still get occasional screen tearing. I thought Gsync got rid of the tearing without needing VSync? (Which as I undertand it creates input lag). Do I need to activate VSync also?
Yes otherwise the screen cannot synchronise with the graphics cards output framerate.

you must be the only 1 who still have a philip 4035UC working. From that thread, everyone lost their backlight, and it's absurd. I have used many LED / LCD screen. All of those (smaller size) are still working, and they are well over 10+ yr. old. So how on earth does a LG-Philip screen dies after 4.5 yr. is a mystery.

Living in Finland might have an effect. The temperature never goes over 30°C and a third of the year it's freezing (inside it's about 20°C).

Or then those whose monitors burned up are the most vocal in forums.

Anyways, that monitor has a design problem and/or bad components. Some extra ventilation holes at the top might have avoided it. There are ventilation holes in the electronics box, but they don't reach the top 20% of the panel backlight.

Buy it from greentoe. It's $899 no tax ($875 with 5% cash back from Chase Visa via PayPal this quarter).

It will come down to $999 again else where leading up to Black Friday if you prefer to wait but I don't think less than $899 is possible until next year.

Living in Finland might have an effect. The temperature never goes over 30°C and a third of the year it's freezing (inside it's about 20°C).

Or then those whose monitors burned up are the most vocal in forums.

Anyways, that monitor has a design problem and/or bad components. Some extra ventilation holes at the top might have avoided it. There are ventilation holes in the electronics box, but they don't reach the top 20% of the panel backlight.
then let me ask a slightly off topic question: a co. offer me $400 to rebuild all the backlight to be brand new, is it worth it?

then let me ask a slightly off topic question: a co. offer me $400 to rebuild all the backlight to be brand new, is it worth it?
NeinNeinNein.gif

Not when a massively better display is available for just over 2x the cost to repair that one. The Philips was doomed out of the box and is WAY outclassed by the LG.

Back