42" OLED MASTER THREAD

DOA at that price not to mention launching so late in the year with 2023 announcements/products right around the corner.

If you really want one though it will follow the usual OLED price schedule of 30-40% off within 6 months.

DOA at that price not to mention launching so late in the year with 2023 announcements/products right around the corner.

If you really want one though it will follow the usual OLED price schedule of 30-40% off within 6 months.
Now if it used eye tracking to dynamically set its tilt and its screen bend radius for optimal position while in use - adjusting and locking it on demand, that would really be a pretty cool feature... but yes, not for an extra $2k. An elite model for perhaps +$300 though.

LG's 'next generation' OLED. WOLED + MLA with up to 2000 nits?

oled.png

https://daily.hankooki.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=876523

From google translate:

"LG Display is said to have plans to produce 32-inch OLED panels as well. With the 27-inch, the possibility of entering production from the fourth quarter of this year has increased. A medium-sized panel can absorb game demand while having the advantages of a TV. As early as next month, LG Display's W-OLED lineup will expand from 27 inches to 97 inches."

Looks like we may soon need a 32 inch OLED master thread :D

I hope this rumor turns out true and I for one welcome out 32inch master thread to rule all discussion of rumors.

I hope this rumor turns out true and I for one welcome out 32inch master thread to rule all discussion of rumors.
While I agree with the sentiment, I really love the 42” size of the C2. I had a nice 32” 4K display previously and thought it was enough, but the 42” has really grown on me. I wouldn’t want it any larger though! I feel it’s at the upper limit of an ideal display size for desktop use. 32” definitely feels a bit cramped now - I wouldn’t want to go back to it even if offered in an OLED panel. Perhaps something like 36” to 40” would work, but 32” just isn’t enough anymore, at least for me.

While I agree with the sentiment, I really love the 42” size of the C2. I had a nice 32” 4K display previously and thought it was enough, but the 42” has really grown on me. I wouldn’t want it any larger though! I feel it’s at the upper limit of an ideal display size for desktop use. 32” definitely feels a bit cramped now - I wouldn’t want to go back to it even if offered in an OLED panel. Perhaps something like 36” to 40” would work, but 32” just isn’t enough anymore, at least for me.
42" 4k is a huge step up in immersion from 32" 4k for PC gaming. I was actually blown away. The PPI difference is really subtle.

Curious about burn-in as I keep hearing people laughing at my setup (LG C2 42") for productivity, gaming and media consumption. I've yet to find some user complain about burn-in in my (quick) research using the C1 48". Has anyone find any occurence of burn-in on the LG in normal use cases?

Curious about burn-in as I keep hearing people laughing at my setup (LG C2 42") for productivity, gaming and media consumption. I've yet to find some user complain about burn-in in my (quick) research using the C1 48". Has anyone find any occurrence of burn-in on the LG in normal use cases?
If used as a static/fixed image display 24/7, yes.
Normal use, no.

Curious about burn-in as I keep hearing people laughing at my setup (LG C2 42") for productivity, gaming and media consumption. I've yet to find some user complain about burn-in in my (quick) research using the C1 48". Has anyone find any occurence of burn-in on the LG in normal use cases?
Not trying to be a jerk but this question has been answered a thousand times.
No burn in here, ASBL disabled, 2 years heavy usage. Do yourself a favor and buy one. You'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner. It's that amazing

No burn in here, ASBL disabled, 2 years heavy usage. Do yourself a favor and buy one. You'll wonder why you didn't buy it sooner. It's that amazing

Yeah, I went through multiple pages and nobody here seem to have burn in, but was just double checking if people knew of other people from outside of this forum. In any case, I already have the LG C2.

what about the windows task bar? do you have a photo of your windows task bar today?

I never hid my task bar and never had any burn in. 5 years of use the c55 and several months of the c2 42 use. The only anti burn in measure I run is no wallpaper. I even stopped turning the display off when I leave the PC for 30-40 minutes. No burn in. Just dont unplug it.

Edit: Also no icons. 😉

Last edited:
Yeah I rarely turn mine off when AFK, even if it's going to be an extended period like me leaving to run errands or something. Black background, hidden taskbar, slide the mouse cursor off of the screen so it's not visible (and this is only to guard against my screen saver not kicking in which I've set to "Blank" i.e. fullscreen black). No issues, no burn-in, used daily for hours upon hours.

Happy Hopping, as I've said before, maybe this isn't the display for you. I fear if you buy it, you'll stress yourself to death worrying about every little thing. Just get one of the top rated LCD/LED displays and enjoy it. You've spent weeks/months questioning and nitpicking and fretting over this...sheesh. This is NOT a repeat of that shitty Philips 4K monitor! You're not an early adopter if you buy the C2 (in fact, much the opposite) but please just get a decent LCD monitor and stop worrying FFS.

I never hid my task bar and never had any burn in. 5 years of use the c55 and several months of the c2 42 use. The only anti burn in measure I run is no wallpaper. I even stopped turning the display off when I leave the PC for 30-40 minutes. No burn in. Just dont unplug it.

Edit: Also no icons. 😉
How many hours are you using your oled per day?

okay, for those who don't like to hide our task bar, what then? what would happen to the OLED screen after a year or longer
You might get burn in, you might not. But it's definitely the most static thing on screen in Windows so also the most likely thing to burn in.

Hiding the taskbar barely changes your workflow as it just pops up whenever you scroll down. Despite being back on a 4K LCD, I still keep it hidden because the extra desktop space is more useful.

I do agree with Lateralus that maybe an OLED is not for you if you are not willing to make some compromises to avoid running into issues with the current OLED tech available. OLED does have to be treated at least a little bit disposable even if realistically it will last years.

I get it, it's nice not to have to worry about all that which is why after two years I'm back on a 4K LCD and waiting for better displays to come to market. Whether it's mini-LED or OLED. I bought a 28" 4K 144 Hz IPS Samsung G70A on sale for 399 euros and frankly it's a great monitor for the price even if it's totally garbage at HDR content. But since it's mostly for work that's no biggie. Similarly you have reasonable 32" 4K options like the Gigabyte M32U, again giving up any proper HDR support but getting a pretty good SDR monitor.

Have had my C1 now for about 18-20 months

Use it 8h a day minimum as its my main screen for work. I dont hide the task bar.
Only thing here in Ireland it is usually dark, so I have my OLED brightness set to 20-30% as it is too bright otherwise.
No burn it thus far.
No complaints or regrets, I had a Gigabyte 43' before, VA Panel, returned it. I cant see myself moving away from OLED

Yeah I rarely turn mine off when AFK, even if it's going to be an extended period like me leaving to run errands or something. Black background, hidden taskbar, slide the mouse cursor off of the screen so it's not visible (and this is only to guard against my screen saver not kicking in which I've set to "Blank" i.e. fullscreen black). No issues, no burn-in, used daily for hours upon hours.

Happy Hopping, as I've said before, maybe this isn't the display for you. I fear if you buy it, you'll stress yourself to death worrying about every little thing. Just get one of the top rated LCD/LED displays and enjoy it. You've spent weeks/months questioning and nitpicking and fretting over this...sheesh. This is NOT a repeat of that shitty Philips 4K monitor! You're not an early adopter if you buy the C2 (in fact, much the opposite) but please just get a decent LCD monitor and stop worrying FFS.
I am using a very good 43" LED from Viewsonic, but it's quite possible someone is buying mine, so I might as well switch over to OLED.

As to the Philips, if you go back to that thread back 5 yr. ago, at the time, everyone said it's a fantastic monitor, otherwise, I won't have bought it, it's the other members said it's a great monitor, so I go w/ the flow. You can see the pattern.

By the way, the 4.5 yr. lifespan of Philips reminds me of women: when you are dating one, you said how good she is, after a few yr. of marriage, you go see a lawyer, and that's when you said she a POS

Last edited:
The problem is that it is very hard to switch back once you go OLED.
The thing that bothers me the most when I used a non-OLED screen is the ghosting and backlight bleed
So make the switch with care :D

How many hours are you using your oled per day?
It may stay on for 6 hours straight easily. It can go up to 10 or down to 1.5 hour of use per day. I also did 12+ hours non stop benchmarking with static on screen content without any permanent burn-in consequences. Even though that was on the c55, I think the same applies to the c2 42.

As resilient as these displays are the paranoia has never diminished for me. I still baby it even though its probably no necessary.

I am using a very good 43" LED from Viewsonic, but it's quite possible someone is buying mine, so I might as well switch over to OLED.

As to the Philips, if you go back to that thread back 5 yr. ago, at the time, everyone said it's a fantastic monitor, otherwise, I won't have bought it, it's the other members said it's a great monitor, so I go w/ the flow. You can see the pattern.

By the way, the 4.5 yr. lifespan of Philips reminds me of women: when you are dating one, you said how good she is, after a few yr. of marriage, you go see a lawyer, and that's when you said she a POS
Lol, that's a funny analogy re: women. (OK I'm sure women will say it applies to men too, so no one accuse me of being sexist!) :)

I get it. It's a big purchase, and we all want them to last w/minimal issues for the duration that we'll be using them. But I must stress that this is not that Philips BDM4065UC or whatever the model # was. You're right - it showed promise at first because (IIRC) it was one of the first large 4K displays that did 60Hz with one video cable instead of two and wasn't a weird/niche offshoot brand like Wasabi Mango. Several people bought them and then later it was discovered that the thing had some pretty glaring issues. That sucked.

But again, these things have been out for almost as long as that Philips! :) So LG has had years to refine them, and we (owners) have had years of using them to discover any flaws like that. The C2 is the result of years of honing the process and improving things (new EVO panel, updated SoC, etc.). So you're not buying into new tech; quite the opposite, really. And it's not like Philips was ever known for having high-end TVs or monitors, so I wasn't shocked that they cut some corners on that monitor you're referencing. That was an unfortunate case, for sure.

My goal isn't to convince you to purchase one, but just to reassure you that this isn't new technology...LG has pumped a bazillion dollars into OLED R&D to get where we are today. Philips, well...I bet they just wanted to try to be among the first to market with their dud of a 4K display. All of the ways to avoid burn-in have been posted numerous times, and are only really needed if you use it as a static display or are playing hundreds/thousands of hours of the same game GUI without changing things up a bit...I don't even give it a second thought anymore. Having said all of that, it still isn't going to be the ideal monitor for everyone, and might not be for you. I, personally, am in the "experienced OLED and can't go back" category, but I do wish you the best of luck in your pursuits!

Last edited:
if you're concerned about "burn-in" buy an extended warranty with burn-in protection. (CPS sells one for $199 for 5 years, best buy covers it too)

leave the task bar on, and enjoy

hey you are back, where were you? You have been gone for too long

Is it true you are dating Pete Davidson :D

I just installed an update on the LG C2. Where can I see the patch notes? (if any)

For the new LG C2 3.20.24 firmware, the changes/bugfixes are:
  • Dolby Engine updated to v32.05.
  • Added Dolby Precision Rendering support. The option can be enabled in the supported picture modes.
  • Improved near black handling.
  • Optimized AirPlay audio delay.
  • Firmwares of the Audio DSP, Video Decoder and WiFi / Bluetooth modules updated.
  • Added support for additional models (LG Gaming TV / bendable screens).
  • New advertisement features added to the Home dashboard.
  • Max. AV1 bitrate support of the internal media server increased to 60Mbps.
  • "LG Channels" added as an input to the Home input row.
  • Room Connect app unlocked for several regions and feature enabled for Japan.
  • Improved voice recognition features.
  • Yandex Alice voice recognition support added for select countries.
  • List of pre-installed SSL certificates updated.
  • Bugfix: HDR picture modes didn't allow to set all values of the 22pt adjustments in the user settings menu.
  • Bugfix: Fixed invalid permission in the service menu to change the TV model.
  • Bugfix: Fixed Dolby Vision configuration of Cinema picture mode, which caused a too bright presentation.
  • Several minor bugfixes and improvements.
Source: avforums.com

okay, for those who don't like to hide our task bar, what then? what would happen to the OLED screen after a year or longer

I've had LG C9 65" now for 3 years, about 8 hours daily use (web browsing, videos, games). OLED brightness is normally about 20%, but for movies I turn it up to 60-80%.

I keep the Windows task bar visible. I've only changed Windows to use dark mode and have a nearly black background image. No signs of burn-in.

P.S. I don't regret bying the Philips 4k 40" monitor about 7½ years ago. I have two of them and one has occasionally flickering backlights. Even if it would die tomorrow, it would have been well worth the 800€ it cost.

P.P.S. Dell 2405FPW, the first 24" LCD monitor, too I bought when it was released (2005?) for about 1200€. That started having image retention after 5 years: first in just top left corner, but it slowly spread to cover 20% of screen area until I replaced it after 10 years of use. Another grand well spent.

Last edited:
For the new LG C2 3.20.24 firmware, the changes/bugfixes are:
  • Dolby Engine updated to v32.05.
  • Added Dolby Precision Rendering support. The option can be enabled in the supported picture modes.
  • Improved near black handling.
  • Optimized AirPlay audio delay.
  • Firmwares of the Audio DSP, Video Decoder and WiFi / Bluetooth modules updated.
  • Added support for additional models (LG Gaming TV / bendable screens).
  • New advertisement features added to the Home dashboard.
  • Max. AV1 bitrate support of the internal media server increased to 60Mbps.
  • "LG Channels" added as an input to the Home input row.
  • Room Connect app unlocked for several regions and feature enabled for Japan.
  • Improved voice recognition features.
  • Yandex Alice voice recognition support added for select countries.
  • List of pre-installed SSL certificates updated.
  • Bugfix: HDR picture modes didn't allow to set all values of the 22pt adjustments in the user settings menu.
  • Bugfix: Fixed invalid permission in the service menu to change the TV model.
  • Bugfix: Fixed Dolby Vision configuration of Cinema picture mode, which caused a too bright presentation.
  • Several minor bugfixes and improvements.
Source: avforums.com

Thanks but the one from yesterday is 03.20.70. From what I could google it's a really minor update about soccer or something !

you must be the only 1 who still have a philip 4035UC working. From that thread, everyone lost their backlight, and it's absurd. I have used many LED / LCD screen. All of those (smaller size) are still working, and they are well over 10+ yr. old. So how on earth does a LG-Philip screen dies after 4.5 yr. is a mystery.

Anyone else with a PG42UQ have some form of failure related to Displayport? My friends is now showing horizontal lines across the screen using DP.

Makes me suspicious that they've been pulled from sale. Newegg listing is gone and previous item# just shows out of stock like an EOL product. Asus website no longer shows a list of retailers where to buy.

Back