42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Uniform brightness was broken in those original firmwares. You need v031 as reviewed by TFT Central after the issues with the earlier FW in those areas
Yeah saw that, I wanted to try the original firmware to compare and contrast my experience. Oddly enough the website only has v028

I am enjoying my C2 so much. I am going back and play "dark" games (ie Doom) at night with the lights off and it's such an experience. No back light bleed, IPS glow, just feels like you're in the game. Part of me does want a curved OLED monitor. Maybe I'll upgrade in a few years.

This so much. I've been predominantly playing stealth and immersive games at evenings and nights most of my gamer life. The OLED is a revolution. I recently tried some of them again on my IPS and everything was just glowing gray, my room lit out and I couldn't see any of the details in the dark that I can with the OLED.

My bro got to check the Asus out in person at a friends place who also has a C2 and he said the Asus does look dimmer in games. I'm gonna go over there to see for myself next week to determine if this is indeed the case but in the mean time anybody else who got one from newegg please chime in. I hate being at the mercy of Asus firmware updates that can swing stuff in either direction from one update to another.

My bro got to check the Asus out in person at a friends place who also has a C2 and he said the Asus does look dimmer in games. I'm gonna go over there to see for myself next week to determine if this is indeed the case but in the mean time anybody else who got one from newegg please chime in. I hate being at the mercy of Asus firmware updates that can swing stuff in either direction from one update to another.
I haven’t switch to the newest firmware or tune the picture settings but using some of the presets on original firmware I can definitely attest to this.

The AG also makes it feel different, just different. One thing I’m loving is how smooth this set is compare to my C2

Yeah I think the matte coating destroys everything good and loveable on this OLED, it’s like ass cancer.

Just some quick thoughts after playing some games, this is with firmware V023.
  • The screen feels "smoother" then the C2
  • The AG isn't aggressive at all, you do lose some "pop" compared to the C2 but the color and just vibrancy of the monitor is mostly there still.
  • Even though the color accuracy is shot, using the different game modes do look nice.
  • With the "Uniform Brightness" setting on, the screen feels significantly dimmer overall.
if this is a real PC monitor, why does it c/w a remote? since when does PC monitor c/w remote? what do you need the remote for that you can't do w/o the remote?

It's a PC monitor with a remote control, so what?
It's not even remotely (hehe) the first time a monitor has had a remote control, my 2011 monitor also had a remote.

Well the same could be said for the LG!

if this is a real PC monitor, why does it c/w a remote? since when does PC monitor c/w remote? what do you need the remote for that you can't do w/o the remote?
Well nothing. But what if you are using the large screen from a further viewing position for gaming, videos or consoles than you might do a normal monitor? You don’t want to have to keep leaning forward to use the buttons to change settings or switch modes

One always defends one's newly purchased and expensive goods. I’m just the same 😏

One always defends one's newly purchased and expensive goods. I’m just the same 😏
Oh not at all, thought my C2's weren’t worth the money from my C1's in the household. Definitely enjoying this monitor a lot more then I thought.

I haven’t switch to the newest firmware or tune the picture settings but using some of the presets on original firmware I can definitely attest to this.

The AG also makes it feel different, just different. One thing I’m loving is how smooth this set is compare to my C2
I got too anxious and went to check it out today. He has his C2 wall mounted and the Asus sitting on the desk beside it and it is for sure less bright. Moving the mouse between the two 120 vs 138hz is definitely noticeable with the Asus just feeling snappier.

He uses the LG in the day with blackout curtains so basically cave dweller mode 24/7 and we opened the blinds to varying degrees to see how the gloss vs matte compares. I'm kind of conflicted TBH. With lots of light and the blinds completely open I actually prefer the reflections vs what the matte is doing. In a moderately lit room I'd take the Asus as strange as it sounds because the dimmer the room the more annoying and apparent the subtle reflections become against the lower ambient light. In pitch black they are pretty similar as that comparison video states.

Right now my biggest issue is that it looks noticeably dim + the HDR switching time is an eternity (I'm someone who toggles it on and off as necessary). For my use case the Asus saves me from manually powering the display on and off like my C2 but that time is then lost with how damn slow it enables HDR or changes inputs. He doesn't use 2 monitors so its yet to be seen how it handles the handshake after pixel refresh because my C2 even on W11 will throw windows every where or just do dumb stuff when I turn it on with a 2nd monitor connected which I think is because it completely disconnects after pixel refresh. I know Displayfusion can solve this with saving window positions/macros but I just want plug and play.

Also the speakers are not that special and another knock against the Asus. They should have ditched that huge chin and speaker protrusions all together because they sound like your average TV speakers.

Hopefully that firmware update does something to address the brightness but I also just need to see it in my own room environment.

With the Asus being more dim, that completely rules it out for me. I want a brighter display than my 42C2, not dimmer.

I got too anxious and went to check it out today. He has his C2 wall mounted and the Asus sitting on the desk beside it and it is for sure less bright. Moving the mouse between the two 120 vs 138hz is definitely noticeable with the Asus just feeling snappier.

He uses the LG in the day with blackout curtains so basically cave dweller mode 24/7 and we opened the blinds to varying degrees to see how the gloss vs matte compares. I'm kind of conflicted TBH. With lots of light and the blinds completely open I actually prefer the reflections vs what the matte is doing. In a moderately lit room I'd take the Asus as strange as it sounds because the dimmer the room the more annoying and apparent the subtle reflections become against the lower ambient light. In pitch black they are pretty similar as that comparison video states.

Right now my biggest issue is that it looks noticeably dim + the HDR switching time is an eternity (I'm someone who toggles it on and off as necessary). For my use case the Asus saves me from manually powering the display on and off like my C2 but that time is then lost with how damn slow it enables HDR or changes inputs. He doesn't use 2 monitors so its yet to be seen how it handles the handshake after pixel refresh because my C2 even on W11 will throw windows every where or just do dumb stuff when I turn it on with a 2nd monitor connected which I think is because it completely disconnects after pixel refresh. I know Displayfusion can solve this with saving window positions/macros but I just want plug and play.

Also the speakers are not that special and another knock against the Asus. They should have ditched that huge chin and speaker protrusions all together because they sound like your average TV speakers.

Hopefully that firmware update does something to address the brightness but I also just need to see it in my own room environment.
You can forget the onboard speakers, they are terrible!

It's definitely YMMV, with the V028 on Asus' website, HDR performance is slightly better and brighter then the original firmware.

In pitch darkness did you feel the matte adds a different feel/vibe to the picture? I still can't quite describe it, it feels easier on my eyes and more "monitor" like that makes it more pleasant for desktop usage.

Last edited:
You can forget the onboard speakers, they are terrible!

It's definitely YMMV, with the V028 on Asus' website, HDR performance is slightly better and slightly brighter the original firmware.

In pitch darkness did you feel the matte adds a different feel/vibe to the picture? I still can't quite describe it, it feels easier on my eyes and more "monitor" like that makes it more pleasant for desktop usage.
I couldn't spend enough time with it to really get a good feel for it. He works from home so I swung by at lunch for 15-20mins but I can see how it gives a monitor vibe due to the AR coating.

On another note here is Amazon at it again with a new preorder and now at the full $1399 MSRP:

1662849931264.png

With the Asus being more dim, that completely rules it out for me. I want a brighter display than my 42C2, not dimmer.
It's definitely based on the settings and tweaks used for Asus.

Using a 5% window on SDR mode in W10 doing some quick and dirty testing.

LG 48" C2 @ Sports with 100% OLED brightness - 280 nits.
PG42UQ - Cinema Mode (6500K) @ 100% Brightness - 270 nits
PG42UQ - Cinema Mode (7500K) @ 100% Brightness - 280 nits
PG42UQ - Cinema Mode (8200K) @ 100% Brightness - 291 nits
PG42UQ - Cinema Mode (9300K) @ 100% Brightness - 302 nits
PG42UQ - Cinema Mode (10000K) @ 100% Brightness - 306 nits
PG42UQ - FPS Mode (6500K) @ 100% Brightness - 268 nits
PG42UQ - FPS Mode (8200K) @ 100% Brightness - 284 nits
PG42UQ - FPS Mode (93000K) @ 100% Brightness - 280 nits
PG42UQ - FPS Mode (10000K) @ 100% Brightness - 275 nits

Last edited:
I couldn't spend enough time with it to really get a good feel for it. He works from home so I swung by at lunch for 15-20mins but I can see how it gives a monitor vibe due to the AR coating.

On another note here is Amazon at it again with a new preorder and now at the full $1399 MSRP:

View attachment 508897
Dang surprised amazon is taking so long this time around. Has your delivery date changed?

My preorder went from Oct 8 to pending at Amazon yesterday lol. Fine by me, probably gonna get the C2 for an extended holiday trial to evaluate vis a vis the AW34.

Wait, how am I able to set a Uniform Brightness Mode on my LG C2? I HATE the ABL dim so much, I'd rather just set a max brightness so it never kicks in.

Wait, how am I able to set a Uniform Brightness Mode on my LG C2? I HATE the ABL dim so much, I'd rather just set a max brightness so it never kicks in.
You’re probably thinking about the ASBL as opposed to the ABL. if you’re running the LG at a sensible brightness level for desktop use anywhere under 200 nits the ABL should never be needed. But the ASBL on the other hand will always kick in when it detects static content and dim the screen. Only way to disable that is within the service menu for which you need a service remote. It’s discussed quite a lot in TFT’s article here

https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/oled-dimming-confusion-apl-abl-asbl-tpc-and-gsr-explained

Man I hate slow switching/startup on displays. It's surprisingly annoying and a real shame it's an issue on the ASUS. To me it seems LG even on their regular monitors is pretty great at this aspect compared to e.g Samsung who also have a lot of slow startup/resolution switch displays. It's one of those "don't bother to fix, it's not a marketing metric or something reviewers check" small things.

For windows getting rearranged, try editing the registry for the SIMULATED display. It's found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration . Basically this is what Windows uses when it does not find a display connected and this causes windows to shrink to something like 1024x768 which is the default for it. Set the PrimSurfSize.cx and .cy as well as ActiveSize.cx and .cy to match your monitor native resolution and see if that works any better.

Man I hate slow switching/startup on displays. It's surprisingly annoying and a real shame it's an issue on the ASUS. To me it seems LG even on their regular monitors is pretty great at this aspect compared to e.g Samsung who also have a lot of slow startup/resolution switch displays. It's one of those "don't bother to fix, it's not a marketing metric or something reviewers check" small things.

For windows getting rearranged, try editing the registry for the SIMULATED display. It's found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration . Basically this is what Windows uses when it does not find a display connected and this causes windows to shrink to something like 1024x768 which is the default for it. Set the PrimSurfSize.cx and .cy as well as ActiveSize.cx and .cy to match your monitor native resolution and see if that works any better.

I tried that 4 years ago but it didnt work for me. However, its possible something else can interfere, who knows.
I copied a further description on its use that I'll paste here in case it helps

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...r/1653aafb-848b-464a-8c69-1a68fbd106aa?auth=1

I have found a work-around.
Using Sysinternals ProcessMonitor I found that Windows was accessing the following Registry path;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

My system had three entries;
DELF003YY7707BR0MUL_30_07D7_6A^9A3774EB79DEE3E3E38496CC7DF4D936
QHD32000001_31_07D6_D5^63E1ABDD175E7871DCAEB710418A0F75
SIMULATED_8086_2A42_00000000_00020000_1010100^CDE365D1B3F0942F0CF38BFB8E127AB4

Under each is a tree called "00" two of the keys are
PrimSurfSize.cx
PrimSurfSize.cy

Under "00" was another branch also called "00" two of the keys are;
ActiveSize.cx
ActiveSize.cy

The first two of the configs (ie DELF00... & QHD3...) the above keys were 1440x900,
so they were not involved.

The third (SIMULATED...) were set to 1024x768.

I changed these to 1600x900 and the problem was solved.

Further I changed resolution (via control panel) to 1920x1080, the moving/resize issue returned,
but the lower right corner was set to 1600x900, ie the SIMULATED... settings.

So for some reason one of the configs does not get set correctly.

I don't know why there are three configs, I have only ever used one monitor.

Hope this helps someone out there...

You’re probably thinking about the ASBL as opposed to the ABL. if you’re running the LG at a sensible brightness level for desktop use anywhere under 200 nits the ABL should never be needed. But the ASBL on the other hand will always kick in when it detects static content and dim the screen. Only way to disable that is within the service menu for which you need a service remote. It’s discussed quite a lot in TFT’s article here

https://tftcentral.co.uk/articles/oled-dimming-confusion-apl-abl-asbl-tpc-and-gsr-explained
Ya that's a must do with a service remote.

We haven’t even reached BF yet but in the UK the LG can be had for £859 whereas the still to arrive Asus is £1399. With that differential you really have to want the Asus and I just can’t see it myself, money talks as they say. I’d be using hdmi anyway due to my KVM so the Asus is off my own radar.

We haven’t even reached BF yet but in the UK the LG can be had for £859 whereas the still to arrive Asus is £1399. With that differential you really have to want the Asus and I just can’t see it myself, money talks as they say. I’d be using hdmi anyway due to my KVM so the Asus is off my own radar.
It’s very strange that it is, and has been for a few weeks now, so cheap in Europe. And here in NA it has barely budged in price. Annoying.

C2 has been on the market for almost 6 months. The PG42UQ will inevitably come down in price as well.

Back