42" OLED MASTER THREAD

why is the Sony so thick? Even at 300W, it's still thicker than my current LED. Why can't these transparent OLED be available instead

why is the Sony so thick? Even at 300W, it's still thicker than my current LED. Why can't these transparent OLED be available instead

Guessing most can’t afford them.

Sony has traditionally not been as good as the LG when it comes to input lag and some other metrics, but some people prefer their image processing tech.

Asus really taking their sweet time with PG42UQ availability world wide. If it just hit China add 2-3 months for North America.

Does anybody know if the optional Bravia Cam on the Sony can be plugged into the PC? I plan to arm mount a 42" OLED (Ergotron HX) and the Bravia Cam would be a great webcam installation for staying put.

I contacted Sony Support. They got both TV and camera people involved but concluded that they don't know if the Bravia Cam works on anything but plugging it into the TV.

Been tempted to get a C242 to replace my Neo G9, but then saw the Asus PG42UQ info. Really got me interested now, Premium cooling and custom heat sink for increassd peak brightness sounds enticing.

But is there any idea when they are coming out? Probably not anytime soon I guess, I am planning on getting a C242 in a few days if I do decide to replace my Neo G9 with it. Anyone else come the Neo G9 too can share their thoughts?

Been tempted to get a C242 to replace my Neo G9, but then saw the Asus PG42UQ info. Really got me interested now, Premium cooling and custom heat sink for increassd peak brightness sounds enticing.

But is there any idea when they are coming out? Probably not anytime soon I guess, I am planning on getting a C242 in a few days if I do decide to replace my Neo G9 with it. Anyone else come the Neo G9 too can share their thoughts?
I have a CRG9. Basically the same thing as your Neo G9 but with less curve, worse response times and crappy edge lit HDR. I went from that to the CX 48" mounted 1m distance away. After two years I'm back using the CRG9.

Some long term thoughts about the CX vs CRG9. Everything below will apply to the 42" model, it's just a bit more practical in size so less viewing distance needed:

Gaming and media:
  • The OLED was amazing for gaming and media in general. Zero complaints.
  • Less compatibility issues in games vs the superultrawide. Custom res of 3840x1600 also worked nicely as an ultrawide option without the FOV distortion you get in most games with superultrawide. I think the 42" model even comes with ultrawide options built in.
  • HDR was great, no complaints from me.
Desktop use for personal tasks using Windows 10 on PC with a 2080 Ti. Tasks involve web browsing to music production, simple photo editing as well as gaming.
  • Text rendering in Windows is a little problematic. Using RGB font smoothing and adjusting its contrast with Better Cleartype Tuner paired with a bit of DPI scaling fixed this just fine for me.
  • Enough desktop space for personal use at 125% scaling. On my CRG9 I felt I often had unused desktop space in personal use.
  • Not having a HDMI 2.1 port on the 2080 Ti and GPU prices being insane, I used the Club3D CAC-1085 DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter which allowed me to get 4K 120 Hz 10-bit 4:4:4 but without VRR support. Worked well enough for me.
Desktop use for work using a 2019 16" Intel Macbook Pro, MacOS Big Sur/Monterey. Tasks involve programming, databases, terminals as well as usual communication with Teams/Slack/email.
  • Text rendering on MacOS was no problem. But I still used 120% scaling as that was more comfortable with the viewing distance I had.
  • MacOS external display handling is shit so no HDMI 2.1 device can run at anything but HDMI 2.0 speeds. Even using the DP -> HDMI 2.1 adapters! So far no workaround has been found, long thread on MacRumors about this.
  • MacOS defaulted to 4K 60 Hz 10-bit 4:2:0 which is literally the worst option for desktop use. I had to create a DisplayEDID override to force the display to 8-bit color so I can get 4:4:4 but HDR also went bye bye in that process. MacOS does not let you set bit-depth or chroma subsampling.
  • Not enough desktop space for work. I am pretty happy with the amount of desktop space on my CRG9 at 100% scaling. I use it in PbP mode as an ultrawide + narrow secondary screen just to have multiple virtual desktops. The CX on the other hand at 120% aka 3200x1800 was just not quite enough for me and due to its sheer size it was not practical to fit two large studio monitor speakers and a secondary display on the same desk. I had my Macbook Pro as a secondary display on a side desk and it was not that convenient. The 42" would be more manageable but still takes a lot of space.
  • No burn in after two years on the CX 48" but honestly it's nice to not have to use dark modes where available or other mitigations. I still hide my taskbar/dock though as 1440p height is otherwise not enough.
I've been eyeing the 42" model but since I work nearly 100% from home and probably something like 70% of my use is for work, I'm moving more towards having an OLED in the living room for gaming and doing my work on smaller LCDs. I like a lot about the CRG9 for work but wish it was available at higher res. That's why I'm considering the 4K 32" Neo G7 as a replacement and some side monitor for it, maybe a LG DualUp. But I don't have immediate needs to change so maybe I will just wait for next year.

Obviously if you don't have bigass speakers to fit on your desk then maybe pairing a side monitor with the 42" model works (LG DualUp is apparently pretty close in height). Just for gaming/media I'd take the LG OLEDs any day, love them for that.

I actually had a CX48 when I first bought my Neo G9. I agree CX48 was good, but I got rid of it because I still felt like 48" 16:9 display was a tad too large for gaming, plus I really love the immersive widescreen of the 32:9 Neo G9.

But after a year of use on the Neo G9, I am kind of missing the vertical space lost, hence looking at 16:9 again, and since C242 is actually available now, might be the switch I like. Not sure yet. But I am unsure though, because then I might start missing the 32:9 horizontal space lol I have to chose.

It's just that I feel the Neo G9 is too small vertically, every image ingame is just the same height as a 27" monitor. Too small for my liking.

I actually had a CX48 when I first bought my Neo G9. I agree CX48 was good, but I got rid of it because I still felt like 48" 16:9 display was a tad too large for gaming, plus I really love the immersive widescreen of the 32:9 Neo G9.

But after a year of use on the Neo G9, I am kind of missing the vertical space lost, hence looking at 16:9 again, and since C242 is actually available now, might be the switch I like. Not sure yet. But I am unsure though, because then I might start missing the 32:9 horizontal space lol I have to chose.

It's just that I feel the Neo G9 is too small vertically, every image ingame is just the same height as a 27" monitor. Too small for my liking.
If you start missing ultrawide with the C242, just set it to 3840x1600. Boom, 21x9 ultrawide. Problem solved.

Hi all,

Looks like I have a 42" OLED in my near(ish) future and just have a couple of quick questions. Apologies if this is not the correct place but didn't want to start a new thread..

What viewing distance would be the sweet spot for 100%? Have plenty of space but just need to size my desk accordingly.
Do TVs like the LG C2 have the same functionality as regular desktop monitors where they turn on once the desktop / laptop is woken up?
What's the best way to connect a USB-C laptop such that it's convenient to connect and disconnect (transition between WFH and WFO every other day) - do I need some sort of Thunderbolt dock or will USB-C dock work?

Hi all,

Looks like I have a 42" OLED in my near(ish) future and just have a couple of quick questions. Apologies if this is not the correct place but didn't want to start a new thread..

What viewing distance would be the sweet spot for 100%? Have plenty of space but just need to size my desk accordingly.
Do TVs like the LG C2 have the same functionality as regular desktop monitors where they turn on once the desktop / laptop is woken up?
What's the best way to connect a USB-C laptop such that it's convenient to connect and disconnect (transition between WFH and WFO every other day) - do I need some sort of Thunderbolt dock or will USB-C dock work?
VIewing distance is going to be very personal. Most likely you will want a deep desk or wall mount even for the 42" size. The size of these things is still pretty big so when combined it might be that you will find 125% scaling still more comfortable to see the whole screen without too small UI.

No, the TV has to be turned on/off separately with the remote.

USB-C to HDMI adapter would be the appropriate option. If you run a Windows laptop then you can see if a USB-C to HDMI 2.1 adapter (e.g one from CableMatters) will work. If you run MacOS just use a cheaper HDMI 2.0 adapter because at the moment MacOS cannot do above 4K 60 Hz on any HDMI 2.1 device even with adapters.

If you start missing ultrawide with the C242, just set it to 3840x1600. Boom, 21x9 ultrawide. Problem solved.
After prolonged use I'd be worried about leaving horizontal wear lines along the screen where the widescreen top/bottom are.
In the same way as vertical lines when regularly watching 4:3 TV.

Limit this problem by displaying a grey border of intensity similar to the brightness of the video source.
I'm not a fan though, I'd want the true black that OLED is famous for.

Or strictly limit the % of time the screen is used in this fashion.
This is how I used my plasma, it saw a lot of use for 16:9 TV, much less time for films or 4:3 TV and about the same for PC gaming.
Probably 6:1 TV vs other uses.
It didnt exhibit any problems.

If the display will get very little use other than partial display I wouldnt risk it.

After prolonged use I'd be worried about leaving horizontal wear lines along the screen where the widescreen top/bottom are.
In the same way as vertical lines when regularly watching 4:3 TV.

Limit this problem by displaying a grey border of intensity similar to the brightness of the video source.
I'm not a fan though, I'd want the true black that OLED is famous for.

Or strictly limit the % of time the screen is used in this fashion.
This is how I used my plasma, it saw a lot of use for 16:9 TV, much less time for films or 4:3 TV and about the same for PC gaming.
Probably 6:1 TV vs other uses.
It didnt exhibit any problems.

If the display will get very little use other than partial display I wouldnt risk it.
I honestly don't think that's much of a problem.

I ran the CX 48" for two years set up so that the background is completely black and windows are on top of it. With most of my windows staying in one place you'd think there would be issues but that is not the case. I suppose if you were to only run in ultrawide you might get something over time but if you use e.g ultrawide for gaming then I don't see it being an issue.

This is what the pixel refreshing algorithms are for. It 'evens out' the wear (variance) between pixels.

This is what the pixel refreshing algorithms are for. It 'evens out' the wear (variance) between pixels.

And, furthermore, if you switch between UWS resolution for a few games / movies, but then use 16:9 for normal browsing/work, you get thta added variability added to the mix.

you can try some of the utilities from this topic https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

specifically "LGTV Companion: Synchronize power state" https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion "Power On and Off WebOS LG TVs together with your PC"
(I don't know if it works if you just put your pc into sleep vs fully shutting down)
here is the readme, I didn't read most of it https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion#readme

you can try some of the utilities from this topic https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/mbpiwy/lg_oled_gamingpc_monitor_recommended_settings/

specifically "LGTV Companion: Synchronize power state" https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion "Power On and Off WebOS LG TVs together with your PC"
(I don't know if it works if you just put your pc into sleep vs fully shutting down)
here is the readme, I didn't read most of it https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion#readme
So there is no native support for it from the TV itself?

So there is no native support for it from the TV itself?
its not like i want the feature anymore anyway - sometime recently in win 10 ms broke monitor sleep so that it also disconnects remote shares on the system with the sleeping monitor(nothing else enabled in power options)!

Last edited:
Oh man, I am so torn between the C242 or the Neo G8 for HDR Gaming!

I have been researching them both for days and still I really can't make my mind up lol it's driving me krazy.

And buying displays in Australia sux, because we can't return them once they are opened like you guys in the US can. :(

If HDR is a priority the C2 wins by a mile. The G8 looks lifeless in a lot of games compared to it. There really hasn't been a single game where I've thought the G8 has superior HDR compared to my C2 (more like it's close on rare occassion and other times no where near).

It's advantage is really only the 240hz and PPI + text quality. C2 text quality looks like but cheeks after you've gotten use to the G8.

A combination of both would be my ideal monitor but of course it doesn't exist so the choice is 1 or both.

Oh man, I am so torn between the C242 or the Neo G8 for HDR Gaming!

I have been researching them both for days and still I really can't make my mind up lol it's driving me krazy.

And buying displays in Australia sux, because we can't return them once they are opened like you guys in the US can. :(
how come? what's the reason for no refund / exchange?

how come? what's the reason for no refund / exchange?
In Australia, we cannot return electrical, computer etc goods once they are opened unless they are damaged/faulty.
If HDR is a priority the C2 wins by a mile. The G8 looks lifeless in a lot of games compared to it. There really hasn't been a single game where I've thought the G8 has superior HDR compared to my C2 (more like it's close on rare occassion and other times no where near).

It's advantage is really only the 240hz and PPI + text quality. C2 text quality looks like but cheeks after you've gotten use to the G8.

A combination of both would be my ideal monitor but of course it doesn't exist so the choice is 1 or both.

But I have Neo G9 and I think HDR is amazing on it. I am just getting tired of the narrow vertical height, hence want to go bigger that way.

And does the peak and sustained brightness on the C2 suck or is it still good enough?

Last edited:
In Australia, we cannot return electrical, computer etc goods once they are opened unless they are damaged/faulty.

But I have Neo G9 and I think HDR is amazing on it. I am just getting tired of the narrow vertical height, hence want to go bigger that way.

And does the peak and sustained brightness on the C2 suck or is it still good enough?
Neo G9 HDR is "ok" but Neo G7/G8 is considerably more dim. Rtings measured the same highlight on both for their "real scene" and the Neo G7 was almost 400nits less bright. Not to mention 50% window which is probably the only relevant big window size is also 300nits lower. All I'm saying is to the eye, the G8 in its current state of HDR is not far off OLED brightness except without any of the benefits of OLED and far worse color and EOTF tracking. Rtings measured their 42 C2 in Game Optimizer which is a bit more dim than other picture modes. TFT measured Standard and Filmmaker for comparison.

G9:

Neo G9.png

G7/G8:

Neo G7.png

C2 (Game Optimizer):

C2.png

C2 TFT.png

Last edited:
I see. I don't have insider access to rtings to compare that. But thanks.

Surely the NG7/8 will improve in the future through firmware yeah? Remember it took Samsung like 5-6 months to bring out a firmwire for good HDR on the Neo G9.

Yes it will improve but IMO not drastically. I also don't think its wise to bank on Samsung and firmware updates. Neo G9 gained a bit more accurate EOTF and 100nits or so brighter highlights but otherwise remains fundamentally the same today.

Fair enough.
Is there a big difference of the 140 ppi vs 106 ppi?

I remember gaming on the CX48 and thought that the visuals was fairly sharp, so I guess I should be even more fine on a 42".

The difference in game is not really noticeable to me between the two and I prefer the larger 42 size for immersion but on desktop the G8 is definitely sharper and clearer. It really depends what you're use to so if you're coming from a G9 the C2 will look similar while the G8 will be a improvement.

TBH I think the safe buy is the G8.

Me too but I can definitely see the issue on some occasions (or if I look for it on purpose). But it has just never been an actual problem for me. Daily driver for a bit more than 2 years now.

The difference in game is not really noticeable to me between the two and I prefer the larger 42 size for IMMERSION but on desktop the G8 is definitely sharper and clearer.
Now this is what I put at the top of the list of mostly prefered for me. So I think I may yet pick the C242. Gonna think it over some more.

I think I'm going to be obnoxious and stack my C2 above or set it to the side of the PG42UQ once it releases. 138hz, DP and relaxed ABL as well as potentially being as bright as the 48" is too enticing.

I checked out someone's 48" OLED monitor version from LG and the matte coating really didn't bother me. Only problem is a matte + glossy display together would be gross.

it's now the end of July, I guess Asus is not going to get this out in North America in July

My neck grows 2 in. longer waiting for this, if they drag on 3 more mth., I'll be a giraffe

Last edited:
I think I'm going to be obnoxious and stack my C2 above or set it to the side of the PG42UQ once it releases. 138hz, DP and relaxed ABL as well as potentially being as bright as the 48" is too enticing.

I checked out someone's 48" OLED monitor version from LG and the matte coating really didn't bother me. Only problem is a matte + glossy display together would be gross.
I also just saw a review of the LG equivalent measuring over 1100 nits

Upgraded to the LG C2 42" OLED today. Microcenter had it for $100 off. Decided to jump on it. Massive upgrade over my Alienware AW3420DW 34" Ultrawide monitor. Currently playing thru Skyrim (I know...Never beaten it...). I can't believe how much of an improvement the C2 is over the AW3420DW. Running Windows 11 and being able to just leave HDR mode on all the time and lower the SDR content brightness is a godsend, vast improvement over Windows 10. AutoHDR seems really cool too, pretty significant difference in Skyrim (which supports it). Last year I attempted to use my 55" CX OLED as a PC monitor, 55" is just way too big. 42" is perfect though!

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

Last edited:
Going by rtings review, I assume you feel the C2 is slightly brighter in HDR than the AW3423DW?

it's now the end of July, I guess Asus is not going to get this out in North America in July

My neck grows 2 in. longer waiting for this, if they drag on 3 more mth., I'll be a giraffe
I think Q4 / early 2023 at which point might as well see what LG is announcing for 2023 in Jan.

PG48UQ product page went live a couple months ago and it still hasn't materialized in North America.

Back