42" OLED MASTER THREAD

exactly what is actual PC OLED Monitor is available? I heard Aorus has some sort of dimming problem. So I am thinking of Asus, but I don't know is available. So what else is available that are acutal pc OLED monitor

It depends on if said videocard supports DSC on DP 1.4 and if said monitor does so on its DP port as well.
If both do then you can use DP 1.4 just as well as you can HDMI 2.1.
If either doesn't then you will be (physically) limited to 98Hz in 4K/10bit over DP 1.4. It likely means 60 or 75Hz in practice though since 98Hz isn't a mode which is usually exposed in EDIDs.

Most common examples here are Maxwell/Pascal cards (which don't support DSC over DP 1.4) and Turing cards (which do support DSC over DP 1.4).
On the AMD side cards starting with 5000 series (RDNA1+) support DSC on DP but anything older don't.
so I went thru the spec. of my video card, it's a Asus Strix GTX 950, I can't see the word DSC. So I assume it doesn't have it. I am in the midst of checking out the budget of an inexpensive video card that can do 2D

Ditto - now that I have the 42" C2 and see first hand what it is capable of when used as a monitor, no regrets here at all - would buy it again in a heartbeat. I'm not on it all day - and with a few tweaks like enabling the screen saver in windows again and having the task bar auto-hide when not moused over, I have pretty much zero concerns about any burn-in issues. It's been demonstrated over and over again that unless you are leaving high contrast static images in one spot for multiple hours a day, each and every day, that burn in simply isn't something you need to worry about.
Make sure you're using a program to fully hide the Taskbar. By default it leaves a few pixel tall band if you just use windows' "hide Taskbar" function. :)

Make sure you're using a program to fully hide the Taskbar. By default it leaves a few pixel tall band if you just use windows' "hide Taskbar" function. :)
I didn’t know. What’s the name of the program?

So has anyone bought the LG c2 48" or 42", it seems the ABL is a problem on the Gigabyte, so I wonder if the LG C2 has improvement over the C1 and it's worth looking into or not

thsi is what I found so far

Last edited:
Guys I forgot about this thread because I wasn't subbed to it, but glad the 42's got their own thread. I caved and pulled the trigger on the 42C2 last week and replaced an oooold Sharp AQUOS 32" 1080p TV that's been our bedroom workhorse for years. But the IQ was severely lacking, particularly lack of detail in dark scenes (especially considering my last 3 monitors have been the 48CX that I'm currently using, a 55B7, and before that the 48" Samsung JS9000. Needless to say it's been a HUGE upgrade, even for just our HD cable package. It's tempting to swap it in to see how it looks as a monitor, but I'm happy with the 48CX in that role for now as it's more immersive and text is easily legible, so I don't have to use scaling.

But yeah, for anyone concerned - go back and read Supercharged_Z06's post on the last page. Me and several others here have been using OLED TVs as monitors for years of daily use without issue. Just don't be stupid with them and you'll be fine.

this whole thread reminds me of so many of us, including me, who jumps the gun on the first UHD 40" monitor out there back in 2014. It was a joy ride for 4 yr., then on the 5th yr., total right off. And if you read the last few pages, so many of us were screaming on Philips due to the $ spent and that it only last 4.5 yr. These monitor should last at least 10+ yr.

https://hardforum.com/threads/phili...onitor-thread.1838713/page-88#post-1044561877

since then, some time after, UHD becomes popular, and every brand have it, and realistically, can be called 2nd generation UHD, and they do last and w/ good price, my 2nd UHD is $950 or so.

Now w/ OLED, it's like history repeats itself. w/ LG being the only one selling it. And what is worse is that, I believe that Philips is a cocktail between Philips and LG.

this whole thread reminds me of so many of us, including me, who jumps the gun on the first UHD 40" monitor out there back in 2014. It was a joy ride for 4 yr., then on the 5th yr., total right off. And if you read the last few pages, so many of us were screaming on Philips due to the $ spent and that it only last 4.5 yr. These monitor should last at least 10+ yr.

https://hardforum.com/threads/phili...onitor-thread.1838713/page-88#post-1044561877

since then, some time after, UHD becomes popular, and every brand have it, and realistically, can be called 2nd generation UHD, and they do last and w/ good price, my 2nd UHD is $950 or so.

Now w/ OLED, it's like history repeats itself. w/ LG being the only one selling it. And what is worse is that, I believe that Philips is a cocktail between Philips and LG.
You don't have to buy it, you know. It's completely optional.

I've used a 55" LG CX OLED for 2+ years now with nearly 11k hours on the clock as a PC/gaming display. It's been solid. In fact, it's better than when I bought it due to post-purchase updates from LG. Will I keep it for 10 years? No. But I never expected to keep it longer than 5ish years anyway.

You don't have to buy it, you know. It's completely optional.

I've used a 55" LG CX OLED for 2+ years now with nearly 11k hours on the clock as a PC/gaming display. It's been solid. In fact, it's better than when I bought it due to post-purchase updates from LG. Will I keep it for 10 years? No. But I never expected to keep it longer than 5ish years anyway.
Also, that Philips issue was an unfortunate and uncommon scenario. Philips isn't really known for making premium displays, and if I remember correctly, that was their first (or an early) foray into the large 4K display market.

LG has been making (and improving) these panels, with the new EVO panel supposedly being the most robust and longest-lasting yet. I think the Philips/LG thing is a poor comparison. Other UHD panels have not had that issue.

I already heard that from Captain Kirk
Really I always here from people that do stocks the bigger the risk the bigger the reward. Being this monitor is less than 2k not much of a risk. I have icons screensavers , osd fps meters , gadgets and background no so much not even as a pixel even messed up. This is the 4th LG oled of mine and if the or any example of how well built these are , all owners of the 42inch should be ok

well, my video card is back in 2015. So I need a new $400 video card on top. So if it doesn't work out for me, then I wasted that $400 video card for nothing. As my current video card works very nicely. It just doesn't have HDMI 2.1. So I am thinking when the OLED idea becomes popular that every brand has it, then all the problems should be iron out by then. Not to mention by then, that video card would be cheaper

what I wonder is, when will every brand come up w/ OLED 42 to 48"? are we talking about 6 to 9 mth., 1 yr. or longer?

1 unrelated question: when is the OLED w/ opacity adjustment going to come out? So it's the ones that the screen can turn to transparent and your eyes can see thru

Last edited:
They sell those sorts of displays to retailers to use as signage. I'm not sure how much they cost or how you would actually go about buying one.

You can also get windows with screens built in like that, but they cost a ton of money because it's custom made on-demand stuff, also not sure how you buy them, and the ones I saw were LCD not OLED.

I haven't heard about any normal consumer retail plans for anything like those though.

Got the LG Service Remote off of Amazon for $8. (Thanks for the suggestion Lateralus!)

Turned off dimming (yellow circled options in the service menu).

Also confirmed that I've got the latest and greatest EVO LG panel!

C2 42inch OLED - panel.png

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Got the LG Service Remote off of Amazon for $8. (Thanks for the suggestion Lateralus!)

Turned off dimming (yellow circled options in the service menu).

Also confirmed that I've got the latest and greatest EVO LG panel!

View attachment 479419
Sweet, EVO here too if that’s the case! Thanks for posting that. I read here that you can look at the 4th digit of something on the box and tell if it’s an EVO or not. According to that method, mine was not. And this one says that LG claims panel info is no longer in the service menu. :confused:

Also, that Philips issue was an unfortunate and uncommon scenario. Philips isn't really known for making premium displays, and if I remember correctly, that was their first (or an early) foray into the large 4K display market.

LG has been making (and improving) these panels, with the new EVO panel supposedly being the most robust and longest-lasting yet. I think the Philips/LG thing is a poor comparison. Other UHD panels have not had that issue.

Since the C2 is a "smart TV", it appears that someone has also figured out a way to power an LG OLED TV on or off (so long as it is connected to a network) via the PC.
Nice option if you don't want to have to always resort to using the remote:

https://github.com/JPersson77/LGTVCompanion
Wow. Seems a little convoluted for most of us. Will I need to take a computer programming course?

I saw the 42 C2 available and grabbed it. Have a 65 B7.

120hz is something!

However, I think I found an issue. Do you guys also have it?
When I had Gsync turned on and I tried 120hz 10bit RGB HDR i kept getting these flickers, like something was wrong with the cable or connection.
I tried disabling Gsync and it hasn't happened yet. Nvidia's driver release notes somehow got worse, but I thought I may have read something about that? My googling is failing me.

Also a lot of things are labeled as "Feature not available while connected to PC" in the Clarity tab. However I can turn some of those on and off. Some are grayed out (and seem to be set to something I don't want!).

I turned Deep color on and labeled my HDMI as 'PC'. Not sure what else I can do to tell it it's a PC.

When I had Gsync turned on and I tried 120hz 10bit RGB HDR i kept getting these flickers, like something was wrong with the cable or connection.
I tried disabling Gsync and it hasn't happened yet.
This is very very likely the cable, try a different one. 4k120/10bit/Gsync needs power and quality on the cable.

Agreed - get an Ultra HDMI Certified cable that‘s rated for 48Gbps, 4K @ 120hz. I picked this one up off of Amazon for ~$12 and it is working great.
Thanks! I didn't know I could get a 10ft one that did 120+4:4:4+10bit+HDR+gsync. I thought they were limited to 6.

When I selected only the fullscreen mode for gsync, it kept happening but at a much reduced rate which is interesting.

I also tried to OC it just for laughs. It seems to accept 138hz (like the new 48" OLED monitor LG is releasing soon) but doesn't stick. All other refresh rates give no signal. Wonder if someone will find some way to unlock it.

Thanks! I didn't know I could get a 10ft one that did 120+4:4:4+10bit+HDR+gsync. I thought they were limited to 6.
Limited to 6ft? 😂
Im using a 66ft! cable for almost 2 years now with 4k120/444/HDR/G-Sync/Atmos.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Guys I forgot about this thread because I wasn't subbed to it, but glad the 42's got their own thread. I caved and pulled the trigger on the 42C2 last week and replaced an oooold Sharp AQUOS 32" 1080p TV that's been our bedroom workhorse for years. But the IQ was severely lacking, particularly lack of detail in dark scenes (especially considering my last 3 monitors have been the 48CX that I'm currently using, a 55B7, and before that the 48" Samsung JS9000. Needless to say it's been a HUGE upgrade, even for just our HD cable package. It's tempting to swap it in to see how it looks as a monitor, but I'm happy with the 48CX in that role for now as it's more immersive and text is easily legible, so I don't have to use scaling.

But yeah, for anyone concerned - go back and read Supercharged_Z06's post on the last page. Me and several others here have been using OLED TVs as monitors for years of daily use without issue. Just don't be stupid with them and you'll be fine.
By stupidity you mean using them as we see fit, as a PC monitor configured to our needs and wants. Nice of you to judge our intelligence level by yours.
They are a tool, and many a human has used a tool for a purpose it was not designed for.
So it's a question of efficiency, not a question of stupidity.

By stupidity you mean using them as we see fit, as a PC monitor configured to our needs and wants. Nice of you to judge our intelligence level by yours.
They are a tool, and many a human has used a tool for a purpose it was not designed for.
Nope. OLEDs aren't designed to display static images at high brightness. That's a fact, and the worst-case use scenario for OLED panels. https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/

Sure, use it as you see fit. But abuse it at your own peril. These are probably not the best choice for someone who is going to have static window positions all day, every day. Simple as that. I'm not sure why my post offended you. I never called anyone stupid, I just said don't use them in a stupid manner that exploits the one thing they aren't designed for.

Bloodyspartan, We, the collective [H] forum members currently represented in this thread, fully authorize you to be as stupid as you would like, in all things, to include how you wish to employ your tool.

If you want quality you have to pay for it, like always, since the beginning of time 😏
In this particular case - much greater distance/length, it's not so much the "quality" of the cable as the tech going into it that actually supports making it work. Yes, you are going to have to open up the wallet because built-in active repeater tech / embedded optical conversion is definitely going to jack up cost - but the "quality" of the cable though, so long as it is good enough to meet specs for its design, really isn't the make/break factor here. For a 6-10ft run, the newer Ultra certified HMDI cables out there have the needed quality... and luckily, they aren't really all that expensive for short runs. Your comment "Limited to 6ft? 😂" just came off as sort of snarky in that it not only made fun of his not being informed, but also failed to mention that it's not just "higher quality" but also a very different application of built-in cable tech being employed (that costs significantly more) to make such long runs possible.

Back