42" OLED MASTER THREAD

And a lot of competitive games are older and even maxed out can run at 240 fps with 4k resolution on current hardware. So the only thing you can graphically improve in them is resolution and refresh rate.

An underrated fact. I have been 4k gaming since years and still keep hearing how 4k isn't gaming ready yet if you don't have the latest best GPU.

As quality control goes Asus has been terrible for years on monitors and just won the kills buy using the gaming logo. Lg which is not only the on the providing them the screen will win. LG for the win

1.Original Panel maker
2.None of that no reflective no color seeing bullshit, like who wants a opaque screen covering a 4k screen that is designed for contrast
3.Leaders in calibration and color for years now
4.Lg updates and fixes monthly on their game.
5.Lg vendors support their apps years after.
6.Game setting at 4k still have amazing color and fast response times

Anything with the word 'gaming' in the title will cost twice as much as the 'TV' equivalent.
This. It'll be twice the price for what..? Barely visible brightness boost and an AG coating you probably can't just dissolve off like the old LG IPS. And a USB hub and some rgb no doubt.

As quality control goes Asus has been terrible for years on monitors and just won the kills buy using the gaming logo. Lg which is not only the on the providing them the screen will win. LG for the win

1.Original Panel maker
2.None of that no reflective no color seeing bullshit, like who wants a opaque screen covering a 4k screen that is designed for contrast
3.Leaders in calibration and color for years now
4.Lg updates and fixes monthly on their game.
5.Lg vendors support their apps years after.
6.Game setting at 4k still have amazing color and fast response times
I bet at least 50% of the people in this forum want an AG coating, I certainly do. I hate glossy displays.

Finally a 42” model, at the end of the year I’ll pick one up. (Probably Sony due to personal a bias for their image processing, unless their latency is bad)

Finally a 42” model, at the end of the year I’ll pick one up. (Probably Sony due to personal a bias for their image processing, unless their latency is bad)

I mean doesn't all that image processing is what results in high input lag to begin with? It's why Game Mode turns off most of it so that kinda defeats the whole purpose. Unless you plan to watch more movies than play games on your display.

I bet at least 50% of the people in this forum want an AG coating, I certainly do. I hate glossy displays.
I find antiglare coating often solves no issues for me. I have my CX 48" set in the same place where I've had several glossy displays and while in the summer it shows more reflections, I don't find them bothersome. Antiglare can often just have a more spread out blob of light on the screen.

Now Displayport, that's something I could use.

I really doubt that. look at most consumer items besides monitors all have clear screens. honestly just for opinion's sake who would want to lose 20 to 30 percent of their clarity and contrast. But you can bet the lg version will make more sales to gamers be it pc xbox or ps5 or just viewing. and you can also bet our cellphone will never have antiglare because the majority of the world hates antiglare vs clear glass

It‘s going to be mixed use yeah. But if the LG input latency is better by at least 5ms then I’ll go LG instead.
The c1 has 5ms input lag at 4k120hz. It doesn't get much lower than that. My 280hz IPS has 2.8ms input lag. I can't feel the difference between any display under 10ms and I'm a competitive sweatlord.

Last edited:
Reactions: zehoo
like this
I really doubt that. look at most consumer items besides monitors all have clear screens. honestly just for opinion's sake who would want to lose 20 to 30 percent of their clarity and contrast. But you can bet the lg version will make more sales to gamers be it pc xbox or ps5 or just viewing. and you can also bet our cellphone will never have antiglare because the majority of the world hates antiglare vs clear glass
There have been polls on this forum for AG vs Reflective and the results were more people want Antiglare. I hate reflective displays for a computer monitor, it's okay for my TV though.

Laptops in particular are horrible with reflective displays but Apple does it so they all copy

Last edited:
My mac at work has a reflective display and it looks incredible, but I don't know if it's necessarily due to the lack of reflective coating or that those displays are just nice looking in general. I think it probably depends on your environment, but having a glossy screen might not be so bad -- I don't remember it being a big problem when I was using a CRT. Just gotta make sure it's not around any significant sources of glare.

My mac at work has a reflective display and it looks incredible, but I don't know if it's necessarily due to the lack of reflective coating or that those displays are just nice looking in general. I think it probably depends on your environment, but having a glossy screen might not be so bad -- I don't remember it being a big problem when I was using a CRT. Just gotta make sure it's not around any significant sources of glare.
Macs have the nicest panels I've ever seen, I swear they get every A+++ panel manufactured and PC users get squat. I think they would look even better with a light AG coating though.

I've never been as effective in my battlefield as I am now, playing on my 55" 1080p 120hz OLED. You see everything and aiming for a headshot is strait easy.

The thing that blew me away with 48" C1 is how almost 1:1 life sized everything looks, while you still have a large peripheral field of view without tunnel vision. With the perfect black it is the closest thing to virtual reality while still using a monitor.

I've never been as effective in my battlefield as I am now, playing on my 55" 1080p 120hz OLED. You see everything and aiming for a headshot is strait easy.

It isn't uncommon to see pro FPS players sit abnormally close to their normal sized monitors. I've even seen some that sit so close they have their keyboard behind their monitors.

A huge screen allows you to be "irl zoomed in" and focused without trimming your eye lashes.

An underrated fact. I have been 4k gaming since years and still keep hearing how 4k isn't gaming ready yet if you don't have the latest best GPU.
Been on it since 2014 and same. I agree. They also say you need 500tb of vram on top of that to even run the games :p.

Reactions: res
like this
I've noticed something odd with the ASUS 42" OLED marketing. They state 99% DCI-P3, which is way higher color volume than current LG oled panels. I wonder how that is possible, as I've not read of any drastic changes coming with the 42" LG panel.

I've noticed something odd with the ASUS 42" OLED marketing. They state 99% DCI-P3, which is way higher color volume than current LG oled panels. I wonder how that is possible, as I've not read of any drastic changes coming with the 42" LG panel.

Measurement fudging. Same thing as LCD's claiming to be 1ms response time. RTings as a normalized value for color gamut and lists the CX as 98% P3 but only 80% P3 when normalized. So sure the Asus can be "99%" but the normalized value will probably be closer to 80.

Measurement fudging. Same thing as LCD's claiming to be 1ms response time. RTings as a normalized value for color gamut and lists the CX as 98% P3 but only 80% P3 when normalized. So sure the Asus can be "99%" but the normalized value will probably be closer to 80.

Ya, good point. RTINGS also had this to say about the CX:

Despite having an excellent color gamut, the LG CX's color volume is only decent. It can't produce extremely bright colors, but with an infinite contrast ratio, it can display dark, saturated colors.

I remember comparing my PG32 next to my 48CX, and the PG32 had/has way better real-world viewing colors.

LG C2 and still no display port...
It wouldn't surprise me if LG doesn't have an agreement to not put a DP port on in exchange for other OEMs selling their panels to "gamers" and getting more from ASUS and Gigabyte for each device sold.

Otherwise why wouldn't LG have an Ultra Gear model of the C2 42" OLED?

I also would prefer the Asus due to the displayport, antiglare and heatsink on the monitor, however, I don't see this Asus monitor being released before Q4 2022. The LG new LG TV's don't typically becoming available until the May time frame. Then you have to wait for Asus to add all their additional sauce on it and then get them out the door. Based on the time frame of how long it took Asus to announce versus release their mini-LED monitors it would be shocking if they can even get this monitor released in 2022. I am hopeful but not holding my breath. Will probably just get an LG 42" TV in May/June when they are released.... The waiting game continues.

I'm willing to compare the LG C2 OLED (curious about panelhacks for brightness and the like) and the Asus version (provided it has good QA and the like, the antiglare isn't a smeary mess or otherwise downsides etc), but I'm very curious about similar offerings that are QD-OLED and/or MiniLED in these 30s-40s" 4K 120/144+ hz monitor setups. I'm also wondering when they'll make it to store shelves - I picked up the refurb 48" CX awhile ago and its currently serving as a monitor (no burn in noticed, I try to turn it off when I leave for a long time and let it keep default anti-burn in measures on, hide taskbars on Windows/Linux etc. but am not stringent about it) and its fantastic. If I replace it with another this can replace my antiquated bedroom TV so that's no worry - but I really hope it won't be another one of these "announced at CES, not on store shelves until late spring early summer, but oh wait the really interesting stuff and competitors won't be showing up for another few months etc" situation.

I plan on replacing my AORUS FO48U with one of the new 42" OLEDs anyways. I got used to 48" on my desk, but smaller is always ideal for a monitor.

So many promising displays, finally. 🥰 The time to upgrade from my trusty old Philips BDM4065UC (whose top-row backlight LEDs are occasionally flickering but not yet burned out) is approaching. Maybe Q4 this year.

I'm especially curious about the upcoming QD-OLED panels, since they should be better than RGBW for PC productivity use. Hopefully someone will use it on a 40"-42" 16:9 4K display instead of ultrawide. The limited vertical resolution of ultrawides is a disadvantage when looking at code or big spreadsheets.

Last edited:
Wonder what kind of BFI this thing will support. Crossing fingers for upgraded BFI all the way down to 60hz.

Wonder what kind of BFI this thing will support. Crossing fingers for upgraded BFI all the way down to 60hz.
The C2 and G2 should be able to BFI down to 60Hz, just like last year's and prior models. The FO48U annoyingly doesn't BFI at 60Hz. Well, you can enable it, but it strobes at 120Hz and you end up with crosstalk. I don't particularly like ASUS, but they would be far more likely to allow BFI at 60Hz compared to Gigabyte.

As long as the ASUS 42" OLED isn't outrageous overpriced, which it more than likely will because of the ROG tax, I'll swing towards that one. If only because of DisplayPort and I do not like how restrictive the HDMI forum is with 2.1 and not allowing it with open source Linux drivers, including forum VRR. But that's also where I would start doing a dual boot with Windows for when I want to enjoy HDR gaming.

Way to ruin a monitor making it have anti-glare filter Asus. All top of the line TVs are glossy. There is a reason for that, the matte filter traps light, making the picture dull and perceived contrast bad.

Way to ruin a monitor making it have anti-glare filter Asus. All top of the line TVs are glossy. There is a reason for that, the matte filter traps light, making the picture dull and perceived contrast bad.

Samsung and Sony (LCD) highend to flagship TVs have anti-reflective coatings that destroys traditional matte screen with little to no loss in contrast. Asus didn’t exactly mention “matte” so best case scenario, this might be Asus’ imitation of their tech.

Back