• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

3x 120Hz Eyefinity Portrait Setup

Vega 11.9 Cap 4 unofficial leaked, try them for your odd quadfire issues. Be sure to remove 11.9 Cap 3 if you had them installed. In fact if you had 11.9 cap 3 installed, do a clean install of the driver using driver sweeper.

11.9 Cap 4"]Link 11.9 Cap 4 Unofficial
 
Still only 2 GPU with 11.8. When I alt/tab out and then back in, the screen goes black yet I can hear the game still playing.
 
Still only 2 GPU with 11.8. When I alt/tab out and then back in, the screen goes black yet I can hear the game still playing.

Damn, those 11.4 caps launched officially today on AMD's website. Shame they didn't help. Anyway check this thread out http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1647032 he reports stable quadfire usage if he doesn't change resolution in the game. Maybe it's the combination of crossfire with eyefinity that ruins the scaling on 2 gpu's?

Anyway dice has a lot of patching to do and AMD and nvidia have a lot more optimizing.
 
Still only 2 GPU with 11.8. When I alt/tab out and then back in, the screen goes black yet I can hear the game still playing.

Damn, I had that problem in the beta...happened like 1 out of 5 server tries. Sorry to hear the 11.8s didnt help either...sigh, this is pretty much why i have given up on multi gpu & eyefinity as a lot....too many headaches and frustration.

With only a limited amount of free time, I said fuck it and gave in to the single gpu, single screen gaming experience....but you know I think Im having more fun this way because I actually get to play the games now ;)
 
Yes, there is definitely something to be said about simplicity...

Just pisses me off because BC2 on this setup with quad-fire works so smooth and beautiful, not even any micro-stutter. BF3 just won't play nice!
 
Damn, I had that problem in the beta...happened like 1 out of 5 server tries. Sorry to hear the 11.8s didnt help either...sigh, this is pretty much why i have given up on multi gpu & eyefinity as a lot....too many headaches and frustration.

With only a limited amount of free time, I said fuck it and gave in to the single gpu, single screen gaming experience....but you know I think Im having more fun this way because I actually get to play the games now ;)

You can always turn off the extra displays and just ignore the issue until it's fixed... I'm usually still playing older games whenever anything comes out. /shrug
 
You can always turn off the extra displays and just ignore the issue until it's fixed... I'm usually still playing older games whenever anything comes out. /shrug

You really cannot do that in a permanent portrait Eyefinity setup. Although I do have another monitor, setting aside my main display setup for god knows how long until DICE/EA/AMD whomever gets their act together isn't hugely appealing.
 
Yes, there is definitely something to be said about simplicity...

Just pisses me off because BC2 on this setup with quad-fire works so smooth and beautiful, not even any micro-stutter. BF3 just won't play nice!

I know, BC2 has the best multi-gpu experience but it took them a good two years to get it optomized...I hope it doesn't take them that long to optomize BF3.
 
was the only reason for the 3x 30" was for flight sims? Do you find your portrait 120hz monitors are more useful overall?

Yes, once I went 120Hz there was no going back. 120Hz plus the glossy panels on the Samsungs in this setup is ideal for me. It is an amazing experience to run something like Bad Company 2 on the setup at 120+ FPS as it runs flawlessly.

Now they just need to fix BF3. :mad:
 
Yes, once I went 120Hz there was no going back. 120Hz plus the glossy panels on the Samsungs in this setup is ideal for me. It is an amazing experience to run something like Bad Company 2 on the setup at 120+ FPS as it runs flawlessly.

Now they just need to fix BF3. :mad:

Vega speaks the truth! I was skeptical when i bought my S27A750 panel but 120hz gaming is like liquid butter. If the 750s had vesa mounts id ebay my u2410 portrait setup in a heartbeat. 120 hz is the bomb.
 
I'm actually glad vega who is highly respected on this forum is on board to lead the 120hz revolution. I spoke highly of it but none listened. :D Hopefully with vega leading the charge more will be open minded because 120hz gaming is the best experience hands down. You can literally see the difference side by side and at my last lan party playing bf3 beta everyone was glued to my eyefinity 120hz setup saying that it looks so much more fluid, even the guy next to me with 3 30 inch IPS panels in landscape eyefinity was jealous.
 
Vega speaks the truth! I was skeptical when i bought my S27A750 panel but 120hz gaming is like liquid butter. If the 750s had vesa mounts id ebay my u2410 portrait setup in a heartbeat. 120 hz is the bomb.

Get out the drill and make you own! :D Actually the panels themselves are very light and could even be held with industrial double stick tape. You would just have to find a way to support the weight of the base.

I'm actually glad vega who is highly respected on this forum is on board to lead the 120hz revolution. I spoke highly of it but none listened. :D Hopefully with vega leading the charge more will be open minded because 120hz gaming is the best experience hands down. You can literally see the difference side by side and at my last lan party playing bf3 beta everyone was glued to my eyefinity 120hz setup saying that it looks so much more fluid, even the guy next to me with 3 30 inch IPS panels in landscape eyefinity was jealous.

As a matter of fact, when I was sporting my 3x 30" setup for flight sims I would rotate a lowly 22" 120Hz screen out in front for playing BC2. After I sold off my 3x 30" setup as too large and unwieldy for FPS, I thought back to the 120Hz screen. The light bulb clicked on, 3x 120Hz portrait! Toss in a little Vega-magic and there you go. ;)

Exodia, you went to a LAN part in which someone lugged in 3x 30" and set them up Eyefinity? lol that's dedicated. I tell ya, going 120Hz and glossy panel are two of the best display decisions I've made in a long time.

Having thin bezel gaps between monitors makes it that much better. I've even thought about trying to decrease the bezel gap even more. If I use a blow-torch on the edge of the panel and use a glass-cutting knife, I may be able to trim off another 2-3 millimeters. High precision would be involved and there would be significant risks of warping the glass or leaking liquid crystal.
 
Well Vega & Lord_Exodia, you pricks have already cost me $550 in a monitor upgrade and now you've cost me another $300 for a MSI 6970 lightning which I'll crossfire with the Asus 6970 CUII :D

Worse, you've got me completely on the ropes with my portrait U2410s and now I'm ready to do an ebay sale swap for two more S27A750's. I don't have the balls to do what Vega did with the portrait mods, but I'll probably just run em in landscape which I prefer for FPS shooters, racing & flight sims anyway and somewhere in the process I'll most likely pick up a third 6970 thanks to Vega's 20hour portrait eyefinity quadfire research.

Anyway just wanted to say..... You [H]ardite$ have ruined me because I used to think 30-60fps looked good and was acceptable.
 
Last edited:
Well Vega & Lord_Exodia, you pricks have already cost me $550 in a monitor upgrade and now you've cost me another $300 for a MSI 6970 lightning which I'll crossfire with the Asus 6970 CUII :D

Worse, you've got me completely on the ropes with my portrait U2410s and now I'm ready to do an ebay sale swap for two more S27A750's. I don't have the balls to do what Vega did with the portrait mods, but I'll probably just run em in landscape which I prefer for FPS shooters, racing & flight sims anyway and somewhere in the process I'll most likely pick up a third 6970 thanks to Vega's 20hour portrait eyefinity quadfire research.

Anyway just wanted to say..... You fucker$ have ruined me because I used to think 30-60fps looked good and was acceptable.

LOL :D

If your not brave enough to do vega's elite mod (neither am I) then at least you could remove the bezels like I did on your monitors to give you that extra boost in the experience. My happiness went from a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10 to a 15 when I did that and now I'm sporting only 1.05cm inner bezels. See the pics I posted before for before and after. The mod is extremely easy. Vega helped me with it and he or I could do the same for you.

The first monitor took 15 minutes as I was being extra-extra careful, the second monitor about 9 minutes since I was getting the hang of it, the 3rd monitor only about 5 minutes. By the time your doing the 3rd you'll be a pro :)
 
LOL :D

If your not brave enough to do vega's elite mod (neither am I) then at least you could remove the bezels like I did on your monitors to give you that extra boost in the experience. My happiness went from a 3 on a scale from 1 to 10 to a 15 when I did that and now I'm sporting only 1.05cm inner bezels. See the pics I posted before for before and after. The mod is extremely easy. Vega helped me with it and he or I could do the same for you.

The first monitor took 15 minutes as I was being extra-extra careful, the second monitor about 9 minutes since I was getting the hang of it, the 3rd monitor only about 5 minutes. By the time your doing the 3rd you'll be a pro :)

WELL I HOPE YOU AND VEGA ARE FRIGGIN HAPPY, THIS IS YOUR FAULT!!!! :p
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120802956330

Oh, I've stripped bezels before...I was one of the first psychos that actually did that almost two years ago with my dell 2007fps. I was tempted to get your Asus monitors but the lack of displayports on those monitors turn me off. I went through too much hell with active adapters not functioning properly to ever want to go down that road again.
0306201012723.jpg

0306201012722.jpg

0306201012710.jpg

0305201012705.jpg
 
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sexy!!! :D Enjoy them good sir. You'll notice some light bleeding out of some of the sides, I used black electrical tape to cover those lights as I found them distracting and even sometimes bleeding over to the other screen as the bezels are sooo small now :) That worked perfectly. I also moved the PCB with the buttons and light to the back of my monitors and used zip ties and electrical tape and have those set up on the back.

Which monitors are those? Are they the same ones vega has?

BTW I completely understand. When I was buying the best 2 was this Asus and the acer and this one seemed to get the nod more often via reviews. Having a display port would have made my life much easier.
 
Ahh no no those pics are from my old dell 2007fp setup that i stripped the bezels on early last year...I sold those and upgraded to the u2410s...never had the balls to strip the u2410s because they were too expensive.... I just ordered two more s27a750s and put the u2410s up for sale
 
Ahh no no those pics are from my old dell 2007fp setup that i stripped the bezels on early last year...I sold those and upgraded to the u2410s...never had the balls to strip the u2410s because they were too expensive.... I just ordered two more s27a750s and put the u2410s up for sale

Ah I see, sorry bout that. Post some pics when you get those bad boys set up with bezels removed. Welcome to the 120hz eyefinity revolution. :D
 
I'm seriously considering going 3 DP outputs and selling one of my 2 6950s unlocked and getting a 6990 for trifire. That would eliminate the tear you get at rare times by having mismatched outputs used on the cards.

I remember that tear well, and its one of the biggest things concerning my about my plan to grab a couple of 6950's again. I remember when I got the card the first time, there was talk about display port hubs coming out that would allow you to connect 3 displays to a single DP port. Does anyone know if these have come out yet?

The closest I can find is this thing, which assuming it works would allow me to drive my 3 monitors from the 2 mini dp on the back of a 6950.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011409&p_id=8118&seq=1&format=2

And Vega, stunning build as usual!
 
I remember that tear well, and its one of the biggest things concerning my about my plan to grab a couple of 6950's again. I remember when I got the card the first time, there was talk about display port hubs coming out that would allow you to connect 3 displays to a single DP port. Does anyone know if these have come out yet?

The closest I can find is this thing, which assuming it works would allow me to drive my 3 monitors from the 2 mini dp on the back of a 6950.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011409&p_id=8118&seq=1&format=2

And Vega, stunning build as usual!

Not sure about those hubs to be honest. What I think is that they wont help me at least as I need a lot of bandwidth because in order to get 120 hz I need to use dual link dvi bandwidth. I have a gut feeling with those hubs I wont be able to split the display port and maintain dual link bandwidth. The only fix I see is the asus direct cu 2 card or a 6990 so that I can run 3 active mini dp to dual link dvi adapters.
 
Not sure about those hubs to be honest. What I think is that they wont help me at least as I need a lot of bandwidth because in order to get 120 hz I need to use dual link dvi bandwidth. I have a gut feeling with those hubs I wont be able to split the display port and maintain dual link bandwidth. The only fix I see is the asus direct cu 2 card or a 6990 so that I can run 3 active mini dp to dual link dvi adapters.

Ah many thanks, I had only found one unlocked 6950 to buy so I will just buy the Asus card for my primary gpu. At 290 it will be cheaper and easier than mucking around with silly hubs and the reviews on newegg indicate people are still getting cards that unlock.

Assuming it didn't unlock however, you can still crossfire 6950's with 6970's right?
 
Ah many thanks, I had only found one unlocked 6950 to buy so I will just buy the Asus card for my primary gpu. At 290 it will be cheaper and easier than mucking around with silly hubs and the reviews on newegg indicate people are still getting cards that unlock.

Assuming it didn't unlock however, you can still crossfire 6950's with 6970's right?

Yes absolutely. I have a feeling your cards will unlock fine however. The chances of yes seem to greatly outweigh the chances of no. The asus direct cu ii 6950 has a bios switch on it so it's a simple matter of'

  1. flipping the bios switch to the writable bios
  2. backing up the bios preloaded there
  3. editing that backed up bios and adding the 6970 shaders in RBE
  4. Saving a copy of that new modded bios you created
  5. flashing that bios (which is the same bios the card came with), only with 1536 shaders
  6. enjoy
 
Well Vega & Lord_Exodia, you pricks have already cost me $550 in a monitor upgrade and now you've cost me another $300 for a MSI 6970 lightning which I'll crossfire with the Asus 6970 CUII :D

Worse, you've got me completely on the ropes with my portrait U2410s and now I'm ready to do an ebay sale swap for two more S27A750's. I don't have the balls to do what Vega did with the portrait mods, but I'll probably just run em in landscape which I prefer for FPS shooters, racing & flight sims anyway and somewhere in the process I'll most likely pick up a third 6970 thanks to Vega's 20hour portrait eyefinity quadfire research.

Anyway just wanted to say..... You [H]ardite$ have ruined me because I used to think 30-60fps looked good and was acceptable.

Glad we could have been of service.. :D

Whats the performance difference between the 27 and 23 inch models?

There are none as the base and electronics are the same. Only the panel size is different.

I remember that tear well, and its one of the biggest things concerning my about my plan to grab a couple of 6950's again. I remember when I got the card the first time, there was talk about display port hubs coming out that would allow you to connect 3 displays to a single DP port. Does anyone know if these have come out yet?

The closest I can find is this thing, which assuming it works would allow me to drive my 3 monitors from the 2 mini dp on the back of a 6950.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011409&p_id=8118&seq=1&format=2

And Vega, stunning build as usual!

They have been "talking" about DP hubs for years now and they have never materialized. I just bought a couple of 6990s and called it a day as they have 4x DP.

Are your displays 120Hz? You have to be careful with those cheap-o adapters. If it says max resolution 1920x1080, that is at 60Hz. It takes over twice the bandwidth (more than a 2560x1600 60Hz signal) to send a 1920x1080 signal at 120Hz.
 
Glad we could have been of service.. :D



There are none as the base and electronics are the same. Only the panel size is different.



They have been "talking" about DP hubs for years now and they have never materialized. I just bought a couple of 6990s and called it a day as they have 4x DP.

Are your displays 120Hz? You have to be careful with those cheap-o adapters. If it says max resolution 1920x1080, that is at 60Hz. It takes over twice the bandwidth (more than a 2560x1600 60Hz signal) to send a 1920x1080 signal at 120Hz.

Fortunately my monitors are just 60hz Dell IPS panels that I've had for years and emulated your original bezel removal mod on. I will be actively avoiding even seeing a 120hz display to prevent the situation that struck the poster above.:p
 
I remember that tear well, and its one of the biggest things concerning my about my plan to grab a couple of 6950's again. I remember when I got the card the first time, there was talk about display port hubs coming out that would allow you to connect 3 displays to a single DP port. Does anyone know if these have come out yet?

The closest I can find is this thing, which assuming it works would allow me to drive my 3 monitors from the 2 mini dp on the back of a 6950.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10114&cs_id=1011409&p_id=8118&seq=1&format=2

And Vega, stunning build as usual!

Stay away from any excessive adapters...I have found the old saying "Keep It Simple Stupid," to be tantamount with PC gaming these days.

Just sell your old card and either get a 6990 which has four display ports or get the Asus 6970 CUII which also offers four displayports (This is what I did).

Its funny, that random screen tearing DROVE ME NUTS and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was...I just figured it was a drawback to eyefinity and I didn't even know it was displayport/dvi related until I upgraded my GFX card two weeks ago and then read about it here!
 
Stay away from any excessive adapters...I have found the old saying "Keep It Simple Stupid," to be tantamount with PC gaming these days.

Just sell your old card and either get a 6990 which has four display ports or get the Asus 6970 CUII which also offers four displayports (This is what I did).

Its funny, that random screen tearing DROVE ME NUTS and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what it was...I just figured it was a drawback to eyefinity and I didn't even know it was displayport/dvi related until I upgraded my GFX card two weeks ago and then read about it here!

Yeah, the tearing is really bad and particuarly jarring if you are using triple buffering. This caused me to sell my original 6950 two weeks after launch and made me extremely hesitant to go back even though I am bumping against the vram limits of my 470's pretty damn hard. I ended up purchasing the Asus 6950 CUII and a msi twin frozr 6950 for the seconday card. I will run all three monitors off of individual display ports on the Asus using active single link dvi adapters. I think this is going to be my best bet without upgrading monitors.

I do however wish that AMD would take a page out of Nvidia's book and let you just hook up monitors to the outputs of both cards...
 
That is GORGEOUS Vega, very well done. You are seriously my [H] idol!

How is the picture quality compared to your 30" ZR's? These are TN panels, right? How much did the total display setup cost you?

Also, are you getting anywhere near 120fps at that res in modern shooters? I can imagine that would be rough on even a quad 3gb SLI 580 setup (if such a thing exists)
 
On a side note, how many times has the word "gorgeous" been uttered in this thread? Heh.
 
I realize this is currently on page 3, but people need to see how goregous Vega's setup is. It is the setup that makes me want to buy 120hz, dissect them, and mount them in portrait.

Also, the Owl wallpaper can be found on Microsoft's Theme site, it's apart of the Halloween one.
 
what do I think? I don't, my mind was lost somewhere between those birdie eyes :D
anyway, congrats, now all your buddies will be jelly at you :p
 
Back
Top