3dfx Making a Comeback?

Its actually a good read. You should google that.

Basically, they spent all their money on hookers and blow R&D that didn't produce products; then got caught when Nvidia came out of nowhere and could make 3d graphics cards that actually worked, so they spent more money on a couple botched launches.
Their big comeback chip(s, technically it was two) turned into bulldozer (seemed like a good idea, should be fast, wasn't on both counts. oh and the power draw lol... 4 pin molex connectors). No money, and all their products were uncompetitive.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think they demo'd a version of the voodoo 5 that came with its own external power supply. It needed more juice than contemporary PSU's could provide.

Initially their tech was 3d graphics world changing.
Their issues with failing to prioritize Rampage are pretty well-known. Dumping money into making VSA-100 SLI-capable was mostly wasted; if they’d focused on making the chip larger to begin with, it would have been a competent, very fast DirectX 6 card, and Rampage would have leapfrogged the competition. They also didn’t court OEMs soon enough, fumbled the ball by buying STB’s fabs and casting their former manufacturing partners aside, and ran into issues playing whack-a-mole with bugs associated with getting DDR memory support working. Their lack of financial discipline was legendary - even a week before they shut down they were still ordering sushi for everyone at one of their offices. Bungling their announcement of a partnership with Sega to supply chips for the Dreamcast was also a rookie mistake that led Sega to choose PowerVR instead.

To summarize, they made really fast video cards for playing games for a while, but poor strategic decisions, inexperience, and general flailing did them in. It would have been interesting if 3dfx had emerged as the victor against Nvidia instead of ATi, but that’s speculative fiction at this point.

Its actually a good read. You should google that.

Basically, they spent all their money on hookers and blow R&D that didn't produce products; then got caught when Nvidia came out of nowhere and could make 3d graphics cards that actually worked, so they spent more money on a couple botched launches.
Their big comeback chip(s, technically it was two) turned into bulldozer (seemed like a good idea, should be fast, wasn't on both counts. oh and the power draw lol... 4 pin molex connectors). No money, and all their products were uncompetitive.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I think they demo'd a version of the voodoo 5 that came with its own external power supply. It needed more juice than contemporary PSU's could provide.

Initially their tech was 3d graphics world changing.

Their issues with failing to prioritize Rampage are pretty well-known. Dumping money into making VSA-100 SLI-capable was mostly wasted; if they’d focused on making the chip larger to begin with, it would have been a competent, very fast DirectX 6 card, and Rampage would have leapfrogged the competition. They also didn’t court OEMs soon enough, fumbled the ball by buying STB’s fabs and casting their former manufacturing partners aside, and ran into issues playing whack-a-mole with bugs associated with getting DDR memory support working. Their lack of financial discipline was legendary - even a week before they shut down they were still ordering sushi for everyone at one of their offices. Bungling their announcement of a partnership with Sega to supply chips for the Dreamcast was also a rookie mistake that led Sega to choose PowerVR instead.

To summarize, they made really fast video cards for playing games for a while, but poor strategic decisions, inexperience, and general flailing did them in. It would have been interesting if 3dfx had emerged as the victor against Nvidia instead of ATi, but that’s speculative fiction at this point.

oh ok thanks lol

Reactions: Halon
like this
1628163844988.png

Exactly what we've all been waiting for... Voodoo 6 PCI!
Cheaply rebranded Chinese consumer electronics.
Wait... WTF a 77k 5D television holy fuck. This is a major breakthrough.

If the above is true they must still own/acquired the intellectual property of the old GPUs/layout/supporting electronics/driver source code etc, which surprises me.

LMAO..

Owner of this account is trolling you guys... Everyone without a GPU sits in their bed at night.. dreaming that their reality will finally come true if 3dfx comes back and becomes another player in the GPU landscape... people without a GPU will finally ... just maybe get a GPU..
Owner of this account is probably sitting on a basement full of RTX GPU's.. and mining rigs out the wazooo.. having the last laugh at everything thinking 3dfx is coming back
🤣🤣

booooo
their gonna cash in on that guys cards(try) and then rebrand a bunch of garbo.

When I saw it was an investment company that bought the name I knew it was going to be bad, but wow. Just wow.

If it's sincere, some entity noticed the trademark had lapsed, scrambled to file it, and are planning to capitalize on a brand that's been dead for 21 years by releasing a bunch of completely unremarkable crap under its banner. But this stinks to high heaven. I doubt Jansen Products could use "Galaxian" for their tablet unless they're planning to enter into an agreement with Bandai-Namco, who would want enough money for the license to make it a non-starter. My first thought was that they simply devised words for their products that weren't technically trademarked and went ahead with it. Problem is, outside of Galaxian (which they really don't own), none of this stuff is trademarked. You can look it up yourself - the 3dfx trademark is still listed as abandoned, and nothing is assigned to "Brozzo" or "Ruffon." And that doesn't even get into the fact that they're referring to the "Voodoo6" as a PCI card. Or that they're allocating a whopping 10% of their budget to it.

So either they're hilariously inept, to the point that they issue press releases with typos and haven't bothered to file initial trademarks for the stuff they're planning to sell, or this is all an elaborate prank in bad taste. The first possibility offers the chance for schadenfreude and an uneasy, lurid fascination. The second is worth a splash of contempt and being memory-holed.

Last edited:
I sent Namco a query about this. Had to use their ticket system. Going to see what happens, because the Galaxian trademark is live and active.

I sent Namco a query about this. Had to use their ticket system. Going to see what happens, because the Galaxian trademark is live and active.
if the products are different, you can use a trademarked name. There is apparently a galaxian brand dj equipment company. Samsung might be able to push on them though due to their galaxy tablet.

if the products are different, you can use a trademarked name. There is apparently a galaxian brand dj equipment company. Samsung might be able to push on them though due to their galaxy tablet.
Sure, there has to be a gap between intended markets to avoid consumer confusion. I may have been overzealous there, but "a technology-oriented product, possibly used to play games" and "legacy gaming property" could be close enough to be problematic by itself. I didn't even think about Samsung's Galaxy line. Good catch.

Proof of post #32 photofake:
C46 appears twice at the far right edge.
R43+R46 appear at least three times.
C5242 is an NPN audio transistor.
FakeStarz silkscreen at the bottom edge.
The photo is tied to one hiliarous youtube april fools video lol! The amount of work is amazing.

Sure, there has to be a gap between intended markets to avoid consumer confusion. I may have been overzealous there, but "a technology-oriented product, possibly used to play games" and "legacy gaming property" could be close enough to be problematic by itself. I didn't even think about Samsung's Galaxy line. Good catch.
Ah, you make a good point. Hopefully there are even other things that get in the way as well. I wish ill on this company for dragging 3dfx name through the mud over this.

I think this is 90% chance of trolling. The 1 in 10 it isn't would involve Anthony (aforementioned Russian 3dfx wizard who cooked these up).

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=41075&start=100

So yeah, probably a hoax, but the Voodoo 5 6000 remake is very much a real thing you can buy - assuming you have the testicular fortitude to take a $1500 hit for retro hardware.

Back