390X coming soon few weeks

The question for me at this point lies in whether AMD will be able to beat Titan X with a single GPU card, or will the 390x actually be a dual-chip card as the recent rumors suggest. If it's the latter, and they need dual chips to beat Titan X, AMD has failed in my view.

What we might be looking at is a situation similar to HD 3870. That card was significantly slower than nV's top-end card at the time (8800 GTX), so ATI came with a dual-chip 3870 X2 solution to take the crown - then nV responded with 8800 Ultra. In this situation, we might see the following performance hierarchy: GTX 980 < 390 (single GPU) = GTX 980 ti < Titan X < Titan Ultra =/< 390x (dual GPU) -- you can extrapolate potential retail price from there.

No. It is not a dual GPU card.
You are suggesting that AMD is using two +500mm2 GPUs with HBM to roughly match Titan X performance at roughly the same TDP levels while rumors suggest MSRP is less than Titan X?
That is simply absurd.

I guess AMD doesn't want our money. This quiet crap is really annoying. I almost think its a game now.

I guess AMD doesn't want our money. This quiet crap is really annoying. I almost think its a game now.

They are just trying to avoid killing themselves with the Osborne effect.

You can't hype a next generation efforts too much, without killing demand for the current generation.

When you kill demand for a current generation you might hurt revenues to the point where you don't have enough cash to complete development and launch of the next generation.

granted, at this point us enthusiasts have already osborned ourselves as we know a new model is due, but for whatever reason the public don't read up on these things.

AMD needs to be able to sell the 2xx cards up until the very day they launch the 3xx cards, or risk being put in a terrible financial situation they may not survive.

Nvidia does it too, people thought the "GTX 980" was going to be a $400 780 replacement in August.
But we knew a lot more about Maxwell.

Whens the last time amd released a card with brand new architecture? Anyone know off the top of their head?

Look at how successful their cards are when they keep quiet.
4870 was expected to have 400ALUs if you listened to a majority of the rumors.
Evergreen had Eyefinity that no one else at AMD knew about, other than the small team that worked on it, until after tapeout.
Cayman's VLIW4 wasn't known about until about a month or two before launch, when it was confirmed that Cayman had less ALUs than Cypress.

7970 specs were leaked suspiciously early and Nvidia knew everything about it, two stories behind that but way too off topic.

In regard to GPU releases, some of the most hyped products are serious failures while the silent ones tend to be more successful.

Whens the last time amd released a card with brand new architecture? Anyone know off the top of their head?
End of 2011 with GCN and it is arguably the best GPU architecture we have seen to date.

Yeah the life span / relevancy of the 7970 is ridiculous. It's AMD's 8800 GT.

Any news on the AMD 390/390x? Will the 390 be released at the same time as the 390x?

Last edited:
http://wccftech.com/xfx-radeon-r9-390-double-dissipation-allegedly-pictured/

zziA5ME.jpg

bHEAO4H.jpg

PCB looks very clean without the VRAM chips. Shroud looks lighter and more blocky than current Double Ds. Heatsink looks somewhat similar to what's on a 290 double D.

Good to see aftermarket coolers this early. Want to see the 390x's aftermarket coolers now -- or will it only have closed-loop WC?

Good to see aftermarket coolers this early. Want to see the 390x's aftermarket coolers now -- or will it only have closed-loop WC?

Highly likely 2 versions will be with both air and WC
if the reference is or not is a toss up atm :)

If that post is legit, I really hope the 390x will drop soon, and I will be happy if there are AIB's 390x on day one as well.

The pic....

Imagine you have the 390. It's valuable, it's secret, and you're holding one. Would you really stick on a CHAIR??? I mean, a tilting, swiveling, whirling dervish of a chair? (And the fart filter is where you put the card?)

I call "hoax".

I serious leaker would've gingerly placed the card on a neoprene pad resting upon a flat, stable, platform, like a desk or a concrete plinth. Not an old office chair. (With a cheap desk in the edge of the frame.)

But I like the power connectors.

:)

Are you seeing the same two pictures that the rest of us are seeing? Neither of them show the PCB.

In the top view, you'd be able to see edges of the chips (or their HS contacts) if they were there:

bHEAO4H.jpg

As it is, it looks like the memory chips are (expectedly) gone where they are on off-die memory/non-HDM cards.

In the top view, you'd be able to see edges of the chips (or their HS contacts) if they were there:

bHEAO4H.jpg

As it is, it looks like the memory chips are (expectedly) gone where they are on off-die memory/non-HDM cards.
See the little white bits where RAM is normally located? Those are thermal pads, and if you look a bit more to the right, you can see where a heat spreader is attached to the PCB ;)

Look closer...

I zoomed in and came to that conclusion, and the article has updated, they confirm it is a 380.
I knew that HSF looked too small for a 390.

Note: Due to images being of really low quality, it was hard to figure whether the card was actually a R9 390 series or R9 380 series cards. While we were led to believe it as the R9 390 at first sight, turns out to be that the graphics card is actually the Radeon R9 380 series from XFX. It was clear misunderstanding of the card due to the low quality label at the side and there are several details which suggest that the card is based on the Hawaii graphics processor as indicated by our Disqus community. The update doesn&#8217;t mean that this is not a Radeon R 300 series cards. It is an actual card from XFX and we will be looking at the same design going on retail in a few weeks for the Radeon R9 380 and 390 series cards. The graphics card shares the reference Radeon R9 290X PCB which suggests this is a rebranded Hawaii core which will be placed in a competitive price range since Hawaii has a lot of muscle left to stretch out on 4K gaming. We will obviously be getting a flagship R9 390 series card around the same time as the rest of the R300 series cards and we will update you as soon as we get more info related to the cards.

Back