390X coming soon few weeks

This thread seems to be dead now. What happend, has everybody lost their hype for this already?

Nothing new to discuss.

We can take to running bets as to the 390x and the month and week you can actually buy one.

Paper launch in May-June.
Cards start to show up on line the end of July.
I can find one at close to list price from a vender I trust the first week in October.

A short 32 weeks after the thread started.

Im going to guess they have been building stock and will be widely available the moment they lift the NDA

i think they will announce it before computex.

I also believe it will not be the rumored 50% over 290x, will be 10% short of the titan X, and it will be priced at $499. no AIO, 4GB HBM memory

hey you said to guess...

lol

Time is AMD's biggest enemy right now... It's been soooooo long.
If they announce @ Computex and then take another month to bring to market, I'll be very disappointed.

None of this is helping to reassure confidence in AMD...

If it's as fast as rumoured, that's perfectly plausible. Both could be true, or neither could be true. Fact is, we won't know until a lot closer to launch. Personally speaking I hope it is massively powerful and appropriately expensive - people will still buy it and AMD will make some money out of it which would encourage them to develop similar products in future. People unwilling to spend $700+ would simply buy the next model down. Easy to cut down a big and powerful GPU, not so easy to beef up one you've already maxed out. If AMD puts out 90% of a Titan X at 80-90% of the price, I'd probably be all over it.

Define 'cheap' :)
Loving the username by the way!

I would assume reasonably priced HDMI 2.0 cards will come out with the low to midrange cards of the next generation coming. Hopefully some of AMD's low end R7 300 series cards will support it.

If AMD puts out 90% of a Titan X at 80-90% of the price
If that's the case, then AMD has failed.
Their performance and price margins need to be much bigger than that.

The 290 @ $399 vs the GTX 780 @ $650.
The 290X matched the original Titan for literally half the price. And people still insist those cards were failures.

If the 390X trades blows with the Titan X, even at $700 it will be a failure. 8 GB HBM + water @ $700 and it's barely passable.

Engineering wise they were a bit cack, but price/performance I'd never call the 290X a failure, it was very well priced for what it was. Sadly, it utterly failed to handle MST which is why I had to send mine back and replace it with a GTX970 (couldn't justify a 980 at the time unless I could confirm nvidia could overcome the MST issues - most of them they did, just not quite all of them!). FWIW, my HD6970s handled MST fine, it was only with the arrival of the R9s that it all fell apart. Funny how the card AMD insist didn't support 4K ran it better than their current flagship. If the 300 series doesn't have broken MST support, I will buy one in a heartbeat. nvidia's implementation isn't perfect and the 970 is a little short on power for the bigger titles at 4K, be it 3.5GB of VRAM or just having less processing power than the 290X, it is noticeably slower. Frankly I'd have a hard time trading up to the 980 for all that extra - the Titan X is tempting for the potency, but more than I could currently afford.

Realistically speaking I'd hope that if the 390X was 90% of a Titan X, it'd be 80% of the price. The common, and relatively fair way of pricing high-end graphics (and even midrange over £100/$150) is usually to square the difference in performance to obtain the difference in price - 20% faster is 45% more expensive, 30% faster is 70% more expensive, 50% is 125% etc. I can date pricing working like that pretty much as far back as the X800XT and 6800 Ultra which is when I first started looking at these things.

Keep in mind we're talking about a market that AMD hasn't tapped into for a decade, maybe more... Maybe never, I can't even recall. The most expensive single GPU they've released in all this time is $550.

As AMD cards get more expensive, the bar for entry is raised higher. Especially now that consumer confidence in AMD is at an all time low... The hill AMD has to climb has never been steeper than it is now. And they're about to roll out the most expensive GPU they have ever made?

I'm skeptical ontop of skeptical ontop of skeptical. Layers of skeptical. And unfortunately that's how the PC community feels, too. Maybe worse. AMD needs to drop a nuclear bomb. ANYTHING else just comes across as a fizzle, no matter how reasonable the new cards may be. The longer they take, the more they have riding on their shoulders.

And the Hawaii rebrands? I can't even. Those cards have been an embarrassment for the last 6 months... I don't know why AMD would even entertain the idea of keeping them around.

I dunno, reviews for new GPUs come out within days of the launch, and if the card truly lives up to expectations, reviews will bear that out and I reckon people will buy them. Confidence in AMD is only low because they haven't delivered something truly great from an engineering perspective for a long time. If they do pull it off at long last, I see no reason why sales would be bad. The 290X was a good performer for the money, but questions over how much the cards might throttle due to heat did put a dampen on things. Back then people thought the GTX970 was a 4GB card and it seemed like a better-engineered equal, even if it turned out not to be. I went straight for the 290X as I had confidence AMD would handle my monitor properly, confidence which turned out to be misplaced. It wouldn't stop me buying an AMD card again though if they turn out to be good this time round, far from it.

Define 'cheap' :)
Loving the username by the way!

I would assume reasonably priced HDMI 2.0 cards will come out with the low to midrange cards of the next generation coming. Hopefully some of AMD's low end R7 300 series cards will support it.

thanks;)
define:a card that can't play any modern game above 3fps but can output 4k 60hz resolution via hdmi 2.0 port and play video files .

I can wait one more month for a HDMI 2.0 GPU... or it is going to be NVIDIA again.

Really was hoping to go AMD this time around. Specially if they can can support the "advertised" PLP eyefinity.

I can wait one more month for a HDMI 2.0 GPU... or it is going to be NVIDIA again.

Really was hoping to go AMD this time around. Specially if they can can support the "advertised" PLP eyefinity.

I can't seeing the 390 series coming out within a month. AMD haven't even announced any specs yet. Most likely mid year at the earliest now. The wait will be worth it, I hope.

Guys they will release the GPU's at Computex. That is in June, a little over 2 months away.
AMD is still trying to sell the R9 2xx series, this is their business plan- sell whatever they can of the R9 2xx series and then finally release the 3xx series.
Heck they might not even release it at Computex, that might just be a paper launch.

Guys they will release the GPU's at Computex. That is in June, a little over 2 months away.
AMD is still trying to sell the R9 2xx series, this is their business plan- sell whatever they can of the R9 2xx series and then finally release the 3xx series.
Heck they might not even release it at Computex, that might just be a paper launch.

*cough* it has already been in mass production for ~1month *cough*

If AMD puts out 90% of a Titan X at 80-90% of the price, I'd probably be all over it.

If AMD gets it out slower than a Titan X than Nvidia will be laughing. There was a rumor recently that Nvidia will be preparing a Titan X Ultra, which is suppose to be similarly watercooled AIO, but also heavily overclocked to compete with the 390X.

So Nvidia must know something about the upcoming competitor card if they already seem to be on their toes.

nvidia always like to have the fastest single GPU and they usually achieve it - if there is going to be a 'Titan X Ultra' - then they obviously anticipate the 390X trading blows with the Titan X.

A great 390X in my opinion would be:
  1. Great (eyefinity+crossfire) drivers on release
  2. Play every game at 4K60Hz in a Crossfire config smoothly
  3. 4K60Hz gaming at a lower price than NVidia
  4. 1440p60Hz, or 1080p120Hz gaming at lower price than Nvidia
  5. Does not melt the case and blow your eardrums at full power

Cream on top would be things like: PLP support, HDMI 2.0 and DVI options,

1 you can forget about - AMD have never achieved that for any of their products, no matter how long after launch :p

2 That should be pretty doable, but depends if you want max detail, AA and the likes. Two 290Xs can already do pretty well here if you can disable just one or two settings.

3 Pretty much a given I think, though again, see caveat above

4 Probably also a given, if not by much

5 Much as I'd like this to be true, sadly I fear it unlikely. The card will unqestionably be 250W+ so unless AMD have finally made a decent reference cooler that can handle that sort of load, you'll have to wait for non-ref cards to cure the noise, which will mean the 'melt my case' point will still be valid :p

1 you can forget about - AMD have never achieved that for any of their products, no matter how long after launch :p

2 That should be pretty doable, but depends if you want max detail, AA and the likes. Two 290Xs can already do pretty well here if you can disable just one or two settings.

3 Pretty much a given I think, though again, see caveat above

4 Probably also a given, if not by much

5 Much as I'd like this to be true, sadly I fear it unlikely. The card will unqestionably be 250W+ so unless AMD have finally made a decent reference cooler that can handle that sort of load, you'll have to wait for non-ref cards to cure the noise, which will mean the 'melt my case' point will still be valid :p

Well, I said GREAT card, so yes, I am asking for a lot.

1 They are taking their time, so I am reserving judgement on that. But yes, your point is very valid :(
2 Dude, this is [H]ard, I am talking ULTRA/Max settings
3 NO Caveats, or it is not a GREAT card
4 Release time will tell.
5 Ok, your point is valid. I guess maybe I should just hope for a "decent" card. :p

*cough* it has already been in mass production for ~1month *cough*

It's not about having the card ready to ship. It is about dumping the old inventory.
If they don't sell a good about of the R9 2xx they will delay the 3xx yet again, but hey they can still give us a paper launch at Computex ;)

3xx should have been out a while ago... just look at when this thread was started.

It's not about having the card ready to ship. It is about dumping the old inventory.
If they don't sell a good about of the R9 2xx they will delay the 3xx yet again, but hey they can still give us a paper launch at Computex ;)

3xx should have been out a while ago... just look at when this thread was started.

Ahh the delicate balance between pleasing retailers and your PCB manufacturers, and doing what's in the best interest for your company. If they want to claw back market share they're going to have to do things their way. Hits are going to be taken financially regardless. A product being on the market for 1 1/2+ years is already abnormal. If AMD keeps pushing these long 1 1/2 - 2 year cycles they're going to be irrelevant after the R9-300 unless it completely surprises.

I laughed at their 2015-2020 roadmap because it makes the assumption that they'll still have enough market share that people care. Only way I see them returning market share is by releasing at least two generations on a rapid release cycle, or dropping a product that is 50% better than Nvidia across the board at each entry point.

75% vs 25% is a gap in the GPU world of historical proportions. Something we've never seen, nor do we fully know the future consequences of.

Ahh the delicate balance between pleasing retailers and your PCB manufacturers, and doing what's in the best interest for your company. If they want to claw back market share they're going to have to do things their way. Hits are going to be taken financially regardless. A product being on the market for 1 1/2+ years is already abnormal. If AMD keeps pushing these long 1 1/2 - 2 year cycles they're going to be irrelevant after the R9-300 unless it completely surprises.

I laughed at their 2015-2020 roadmap because it makes the assumption that they'll still have enough market share that people care. Only way I see them returning market share is by releasing at least two generations on a rapid release cycle, or dropping a product that is 50% better than Nvidia across the board at each entry point.

75% vs 25% is a gap in the GPU world of historical proportions. Something we've never seen, nor do we fully know the future consequences of.

Or maybe just release a driver that doesn't have random flickering issues.

Or maybe just release a driver that doesn't have random flickering issues.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

Delay again?
While there is certainly some excess GPU inventory in the channel, a majority of the "channel clearing" they were talking about is on the APU side of things.

I have been ready to drop cash on two 390X cards, but summer is here now. I guess either I will catch them on mark down after Xmas, or if they really keep their promise about a faster cycle, I will get the next card. Either way I can wait at this point I have other things to keep me occupied.

I'm in Florida trust me when I say it's still Spring.
Who said the cards will launch "Summer"? We've been saying July for the last 3 months. If you weren't planning on waiting until July, why did you wait this long?!

I'm in Florida trust me when I say it's still Spring.
Who said the cards will launch "Summer"? We've been saying July for the last 3 months. If you weren't planning on waiting until July, why did you wait this long?!

It's been June a few weeks now. Originally it was a couple of months early. I had hoped that once the Titan X was dropped, AMD would green light it.

Here, when we don't need to use the AC and the furnace in the same day, summer is on :)

I really hope AMD hits a home run with the 390x. I currently use 2 780Ti Classifieds and the Titan X is just to expensive. It is 2k here and if the 390x is below $1,400 I will jump ship.

If AMD gets it out slower than a Titan X than Nvidia will be laughing. There was a rumor recently that Nvidia will be preparing a Titan X Ultra, which is suppose to be similarly watercooled AIO, but also heavily overclocked to compete with the 390X.

So Nvidia must know something about the upcoming competitor card if they already seem to be on their toes.

The question for me at this point lies in whether AMD will be able to beat Titan X with a single GPU card, or will the 390x actually be a dual-chip card as the recent rumors suggest. If it's the latter, and they need dual chips to beat Titan X, AMD has failed in my view.

What we might be looking at is a situation similar to HD 3870. That card was significantly slower than nV's top-end card at the time (8800 GTX), so ATI came with a dual-chip 3870 X2 solution to take the crown - then nV responded with 8800 Ultra. In this situation, we might see the following performance hierarchy: GTX 980 < 390 (single GPU) = GTX 980 ti < Titan X < Titan Ultra =/< 390x (dual GPU) -- you can extrapolate potential retail price from there.

Last edited:
Back