34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

A couple BLB pics. Second one is pretty accurate. Brightness is set to 30.

5zITyVN.jpg

2azIOCB.jpg

I just don't think that would bother me at all. Just waiting for Freesync reviews to know if it is worth the wait...

I just don't think that would bother me at all. Just waiting for Freesync reviews to know if it is worth the wait...

Gamer reporting on with the flat screen LG 34"

The BLB doesn't bother me either. I didnt even know what BLB was prior to this thread and I had already owned the monitor for quite some time. I don't sit and game with the lights turned off and black-out curtains covering all my windows. I think if you game in a "normal", light room, you literally won't notice any black light bleed stuff.

Now, maybe someone who is editing photos and needs to be in pitch black room, different story.

my 2 cents

So Newegg has fucked me over.
The monitor that I sent to them for RMA because of Backlight Bleed Issue, has been sent back to me with "Physical Damage" and this is what i am told..

"Thank you for that information, Michael. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I checked with my supervisor regarding your RMA issue. I am sorry that we are unable to process your return this time as the physical damage was found upon return. Your product is on its way to you. However you can still take advantage of your end used warranty with the manufacturer. Please give them a call at 1-800-243-0000 or go on to the support web site http://us.lge.com/support/support.jsp. Also I would like to promise you up to $25.00 for the shipping costs between you and the manufacturer. Please rest assured that if they appear to be unresponsive we can definitely open a ticket to help you. Thank you for your understanding with us."

This is to is completely ridiculous, how damage that is proven to be not done by myself, as I sent them PICTURES of the monitor before I shipped it to them, is now my issue to figure out through LG?

The monitor that I sent to them for RMA because of Backlight Bleed Issue, has been sent back to me with "Physical Damage" and this is what i am told..

"Thank you for that information, Michael. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. I checked with my supervisor regarding your RMA issue. I am sorry that we are unable to process your return this time as the physical damage was found upon return. Your product is on its way to you. However you can still take advantage of your end used warranty with the manufacturer. Please give them a call at 1-800-243-0000 or go on to the support web site http://us.lge.com/support/support.jsp. Also I would like to promise you up to $25.00 for the shipping costs between you and the manufacturer. Please rest assured that if they appear to be unresponsive we can definitely open a ticket to help you. Thank you for your understanding with us."

This is to is completely ridiculous, how damage that is proven to be not done by myself, as I sent them PICTURES of the monitor before I shipped it to them, is now my issue to figure out through LG?

Sorry to hear. That really sucks. Was it you that said you had already submitted a charge back? If not, there was someone else in exactly this situation a few pages back. I would do that immediately if they can't provide you proof (in the form of photos, also indicating serial numbers and other details). If they can give you evidence, you probably have an open and shut case with your shipping carrier if you've got insurance on it.

Also, don't even bother with LG. Newegg is just looking to get rid of you with that shitty "advice". LG is going to tell you to fuck off since their warranties (understandably) don't cover negligence or abuse, and any physical damage will clearly fall into one of those two.

yeah, as soon as I physically get the monitor back, I am going immediately to my On-Base Post Office, and letting them know what happened.
Just sucks that Newegg would act like this, proven that the damage was not caused by me.

This is totally unacceptable for a etailer as well known as Newegg. What is going on with them? They went from one of the most trustworthy sellers to one that scams customers and breaking returns on purpose. I was gonna buy the components for my new PC from them but I'm getting them from Amazon and B&H instead.

Sorry to hear. That really sucks. Was it you that said you had already submitted a charge back? If not, there was someone else in exactly this situation a few pages back. I would do that immediately if they can't provide you proof (in the form of photos, also indicating serial numbers and other details). If they can give you evidence, you probably have an open and shut case with your shipping carrier if you've got insurance on it.

Also, don't even bother with LG. Newegg is just looking to get rid of you with that shitty "advice". LG is going to tell you to fuck off since their warranties (understandably) don't cover negligence or abuse, and any physical damage will clearly fall into one of those two.

This is why I never buy any of my monitors from NewEgg, they kind of suck when it comes to this stuff. Had problems with them last year on a video card, they are difficult to do an exchange or return with. I use Amazon 99% of the time anymore I am buying something, especially if it's something expensive.

If there is genuine physical damage then it's not newegg's problem. In fact, if my staff were to authorise money back for a physically damaged monitor I'd fire them for incompetence.

Saying that if it were damaged in transit, hopefully the courier delivery insurance should cover.

Hey guys, I bought a LG 34UC97 and it fell during transit (my fault). Bezel is a little cracked, the screen is cracked and I can not see anything BUT it does turn on.

Anyone ever have to fix a curved display or even the ultrawide displays? I'm just wondering whether I['m better off buying a new one or sending it in for repairs.

Hey guys, I bought a LG 34UC97 and it fell during transit (my fault).

Wow, that sucks. Check with the credit card company that you used to purchase your UC97.. certain cards cover accidental damage. Think some AMEX cards cover up to $1000 if damaged or stolen within 90 days of purchase.

Dunno.. just a thought.

This is totally unacceptable for a etailer as well known as Newegg. What is going on with them? They went from one of the most trustworthy sellers to one that scams customers and breaking returns on purpose. I was gonna buy the components for my new PC from them but I'm getting them from Amazon and B&H instead.

It really is a shame. This unfortunately ends up happening to a lot of honest companies with good intentions. I remember when newegg had a "no questions asked" return policy, free 3 day shipping on all orders and BY FAR the best prices around.

The huge increase in competition has really hurt newegg (notice how within a few hours of a sale at newegg, amazon will price match / under cut those sale items).

This in combination with people continually abusing the system (taking advantage of their liberal return policy), means they are forced to make changes in order to survive.

Newegg simply can't compete with a company as large as amazon on both price and service (they had to pick one or the other).

They aren't intentionally trying to screw people over. It's unfortunately a case of a few selfish, dishonest people abusing the system and ruining it for everybody. The alternative is to raise prices to offset the losses incurred by a more lenient customer service policy and this simply isn't practical (you'll simply purchase an item somewhere else for less money).

It really is a shame. This unfortunately ends up happening to a lot of honest companies with good intentions. I remember when newegg had a "no questions asked" return policy, free 3 day shipping on all orders and BY FAR the best prices around.

The huge increase in competition has really hurt newegg (notice how within a few hours of a sale at newegg, amazon will price match / under cut those sale items).

This in combination with people continually abusing the system (taking advantage of their liberal return policy), means they are forced to make changes in order to survive.

Newegg simply can't compete with a company as large as amazon on both price and service (they had to pick one or the other).

They aren't intentionally trying to screw people over. It's unfortunately a case of a few selfish, dishonest people abusing the system and ruining it for everybody. The alternative is to raise prices to offset the losses incurred by a more lenient customer service policy and this simply isn't practical (you'll simply purchase an item somewhere else for less money).

I don't think it's quite that simple. Newegg has a product offering that completely eclipses Amazon with respect to PC parts. Plus, often they ARE cheaper, and on everyday prices, not just sales. Look at pretty much any video card - Newegg is cheaper almost across the board than Amazon.

In fact, in a lot of respects, I think Newegg is only bolstered by Amazon's great return policy. It's easy for people to buy from Amazon to make sure they want a product, return it, and rebuy it from Newegg at a lower price.

I like Newegg well enough, but don't give them a pass because they're just getting beat up by the "big boys". They're the biggest game in town with PC parts, make no mistake. And all one has to do to see how they can be as greedy and capitalistic as the next company is to look back about 10-12 months to see how much gouging they were doing on GPUs. They were marking up prices on GPUs daily to profit, whereas Amazon continued to list them at MSRP (for non-marketplace sales).

I don't think it's quite that simple. Newegg has a product offering that completely eclipses Amazon with respect to PC parts. Plus, often they ARE cheaper, and on everyday prices, not just sales. Look at pretty much any video card - Newegg is cheaper almost across the board than Amazon.

In fact, in a lot of respects, I think Newegg is only bolstered by Amazon's great return policy. It's easy for people to buy from Amazon to make sure they want a product, return it, and rebuy it from Newegg at a lower price.

I like Newegg well enough, but don't give them a pass because they're just getting beat up by the "big boys". They're the biggest game in town with PC parts, make no mistake. And all one has to do to see how they can be as greedy and capitalistic as the next company is to look back about 10-12 months to see how much gouging they were doing on GPUs. They were marking up prices on GPUs daily to profit, whereas Amazon continued to list them at MSRP (for non-marketplace sales).

I agree with Neon01. All companies have provisions against people who abuse the system and return too many things. But when a return has a legitimate justification, it should be a simple process provided that the item is packaged like it was received.

When you read report after report of Newegg denying RMA's over nitpicky things, one starts to wonder if Newegg really cares about customer service the same way as Amazon or B&H.

as much as I hate to be "that guy" - post about it on their facebook page

it's hilarious (in a pathetic way) how quickly they'll jump to offer to help. first time, they instantly paid my RMA shipping, then waived my restocking fee when I returned it a few days later.

I've had to do it twice - the second reason I didn't feel like an asshole because that WAS my last time I ever buy anything from them. I got my g-sync monitor and have my PC built - I no longer need to succumb to Newegg's item availability when new items hit (the main reason they're still worth checking vs other retailers), and I'll take my business to Amazon from now on

Newegg is a joke these days. if you don't speak with your wallet (by not shopping there), it's not going to get any better. Their PR team will just keep sweeping issues (like those posted on their FB page) under the rug.

For those of you who have the 34UM95 with BLB problems, did you return the monitor or kept it? I'm asking because other than the BLB problems, I really like the UM95. If you kept your monitor, how're you dealing with the BLB?
I personally fixed most of the BLB on mine, posted details on how to do it and comparison pictures earlier in this thread.

Hey guys.
Just got my UM95 today, and it is spectacular.
Yes it bleeds yellow on all corners, but it doesn't bother me that much.
A bigger problem that I observed when I returned to the pc and it switched back on form sleep mode, the right half of the screen was shivering, the whole right half of the image. I restarted the pc and it returned to normal.
I have instaled all the software and updates, am using DP 1.2 enabled.
Any resolutions on this matter?

Thank you very much! Cheers!!
Use HDMI with a custom resolution (3440x1440@60Hz), none of the sleep problems exist over an HDMI connection.
(Tested and works with GTX 970/980 cards, as they're the only ones to support HDMI2.0 officially atm)

I personally fixed most of the BLB on mine, posted details on how to do it and comparison pictures earlier in this thread.

I've seen the posts earlier in the thread about removing the bottom bezel, but I don't see how to get it off. Have you seen a video or do you have any tips?

I don't want to force it or damage the monitor and there is basically no gap between the bottom black plastic piece that's supposed to snap off and the bottom chrome trim area.

as much as I hate to be "that guy" - post about it on their facebook page

it's hilarious (in a pathetic way) how quickly they'll jump to offer to help. first time, they instantly paid my RMA shipping, then waived my restocking fee when I returned it a few days later.

I've been thinking about it, but again, don't want to be "that guy" complaining over Facebook.
but it's just frustrating as hell to spend that kind of money, try to get a working monitor with manufacture defects(BLB), only to receive a broken one in return.

Use HDMI with a custom resolution (3440x1440@60Hz), none of the sleep problems exist over an HDMI connection.
(Tested and works with GTX 970/980 cards, as they're the only ones to support HDMI2.0 officially atm)

Are you a gamer? If you are, curious if you notice a difference in some of the gaming glitches with this monitor using the unofficial HDMI 2.0 method vs DP 1.1/1.2

Ive been gaming with this on a high end system i build (see sig), using both DP 1.1/1.2. I get a solid 60fps of course, but in games that require a lot of panning / scrolling (like War-game Red Dragon and even in some FPS like Far Cry 4), I will often get some "tearing" across the screen, like someone is peeling a piece of Scotch tape from one side of the screen to the other. Not deal breaking, but annoying (yes I also have the same sleep issues like many others do).

Anyone out there with a 970/980 tried gaming using a custom 3440x1440@60 via HDMI 2.0?

Thx

For those of you who have the 34UM95 with BLB problems, did you return the monitor or kept it? I'm asking because other than the BLB problems, I really like the UM95. If you kept your monitor, how're you dealing with the BLB?

I'd like to address this, because I think there's a distinction that is overlooked by the community (not speaking of anyone in particular) regarding BLB and IPS glow. The former is something that can vary from panel to panel, and possibly even be mitigated somewhat by the end user. As far as I know, IPS glow is universal and can't be mitigated. It's the yellow or bluish glow in the corners of the display. Every photo I've seen of this monitor, along with my own experience, has indicated that this cannot be avoided by playing the panel lottery.

IMO, unless you have a very severe case of BLB, IPS glow is FAR more distracting, unfortunately. My panel has very minimal BLB (near the top middle, as with many others), but this isn't noticeable to me when I use my monitor at normal levels of room lighting, even at a relatively high calibrated brightness of 180 cd/m2. On the other hand, the yellow coloring of IPS glow is very distracting to me, even at normal light levels.

I've lived with IPS glow for many years, and recognize that selecting an LCD display technology seems to be a matter of picking which compromises bother me the least (e.g. IPS glow, VA black crush, TN color shift, etc). The IPS glow is certainly annoying, but I pretty quickly adjusted to it, and recognized that another IPS panel would give me a similar issue.

I kept my monitor based on my experience with the panel, but I have to admit the DP sleep issues are really starting to bother me. It really seems that there are some issues running this monitor with DP in general. I love the display, but if it grates on me...well, I'm within the return window for some time (thank you Christmas season return policies).

I came back to my PC this evening after the monitor was in standby all day. I noticed in my task manager there were >100 instances of

"DDCCICommunicator MFC Application (32 bit)" running, each taking anywhere from 1 to 48 MB of RAM. I looked this up and found it an exe associated with the split screen utility that was included with the LG software. I uninstalled the split screen util and all of those apps closed and went away. Will report back if this has any impact on the issues associated with the monitor going into standby.

Gibbo and his damn worldwide OCUK exclusives :rolleyes:

No f'ing way that LG is making a 120Hz+ ultrawide 34" displays, and then *not* bothering to make them available through normal distribution channels in the US and other countries where it's cost-prohibitive for consumers to have these imported from the UK. I'm sure he might get first dibs on the initial shipments and perhaps even EU exclusivity.. but he can go fly a kite, if he thinks they're gonna get another worldwide lock like he tried with the reference 970.

Gibbo and his damn worldwide OCUK exclusives :rolleyes:

No f'ing way that LG is making a 120Hz+ ultrawide 34" displays, and then *not* bothering to make them available through normal distribution channels in the US and other countries where it's cost-prohibitive for consumers to have these imported from the UK. I'm sure he might get first dibs on the initial shipments and perhaps even EU exclusivity.. but he can go fly a kite, if he thinks they're gonna get another worldwide lock like he tried with the reference 970.

My hope is that if he can provoke anyone to make one, it will inspire others to explore that market segment and not be locked to whatever exclusivity he's able to manage. More choices will benefit everyone.

He said exclusive to OcUK *in* UK. That makes me think the exclusivity agreement will apply to UK distribution only, which doesn't mean it's not coming stateside. Besides that I think LG is too big of a company to just ignore all other regions.

Samsung S34E790C curved 34" ultrawide now available for pre-order in the UK..

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I kept thinking this one was gonna slot in at a lower price than the LG and Dell.

Just noticed that OCUK quickly dropped the price on the S34E790C by £200, following cheaper pre-orders opening up at other shops.

Actual market price appears to be 20% cheaper than the curved UC97, which could translate to a $999 street price at launch in the US.

However, if Sammy's feeling really ruthless, they could have it priced at $899 and stomp on the entire 34" market, both flat and curved ;)

He said exclusive to OcUK *in* UK. That makes me think the exclusivity agreement will apply to UK distribution only, which doesn't mean it's not coming stateside.

Yes, I think you're correct. I missed the last *in UK* part in his post and just started thinking about the 970 deal they were trying to do and panicked :eek: :D

I've seen the posts earlier in the thread about removing the bottom bezel, but I don't see how to get it off. Have you seen a video or do you have any tips?

I don't want to force it or damage the monitor and there is basically no gap between the bottom black plastic piece that's supposed to snap off and the bottom chrome trim area.
I initially did this with an old unused credit card that I had - just slide it underneath the bezel and lift the clips that hold it to the bottom of the frame, then pull (with quite a bit of force, actually).
Robbie explains it a little better here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/co...eally_pleased_with_my_lg_34_ultrawide/ck2nr6w

Are you a gamer? If you are, curious if you notice a difference in some of the gaming glitches with this monitor using the unofficial HDMI 2.0 method vs DP 1.1/1.2
Thx
I game on the monitor for about 80% of the total usage time, so you could say I use it for gaming.
The first thing I tried to notice was any added input lag, as HDMI is known to generally be inferior to DP in that regard, but can't honestly say I've noticed any.
The only thing that seems to occur a little more often over HDMI2.0 is the vertical tearing, where the left/right halves of the screen aren't in sync for about one frame at a time.
Can't say it happens often enough to bother me, but does seem to occur more frequently than over DP.

Really wish Dell US would put the U3415W up before the end of the year for the 10%+5% shopdiscover and discover online cash rewards, but it's not looking good.

Isn't the hdmi limited to 50hz?
As for the sleeping, I have turned it off in control panel > power settings, so it's not an issue anymore.
Still the backlight bleeding is pretty awful but since I sold my previous monitor, I ain't gonna be sending it to the service for exchance any time soon =)

Isn't the hdmi limited to 50hz?
As for the sleeping, I have turned it off in control panel > power settings, so it's not an issue anymore.
Still the backlight bleeding is pretty awful but since I sold my previous monitor, I ain't gonna be sending it to the service for exchance any time soon =)

Do you use a screensaver? I'm curious how much power this monitor draws in standby and in use. I leave my PC on 24/7, so I'm tempted to do as you've done, but worry somewhat about wasting power. Also, though I know modern monitors are probably pretty much burn-in proof, I'm still leery about leaving a static image up for fear of IR.

Back