$300 saved, wait or bite?

Shouldn't be more then a month. Get a 4650 to tide you over till the new series is out :)

Wait, a lot more info should be out in the next 3 weeks on performance, and if all else fails, it will depress the current gtx285 and hd 4890 pricing

I would wait.

You've waited this long, why not a bit longer for ATI/AMD's announcement on Sept 10th (IIRC).

I will probably wait then. My computer is setup with remote access, so all I really have to do is boot it up and connect via LAN. Thanks for the advice! :)

Wait, NDA lifts Sept 17th, and the "leaked" rumours and performance data should come out soon after the Sept 10th event. Not sure if there is an offical launch date yet though(and no, Sept 10th is not a launch date, its a show-off event)

Wait.

Wait for the 5000 series. Just say it, five thoooooouuuuusannnd. :)

The announcement is September 10th, but the big question is will there be any product to sell????

Given ATIs past with anouncements and paper releases........who knows.
When the 4870 X2 was released I think there were 12 for sale (exaggeration, of course) and then it took nearly a month to see more stock.

The 5000 series does sound exciting.......I'm sure going to check out the announcement, but as a fan of nvidia, I'm sitting tight to see if they will follow close or whether it will be months until the 300 series.:D

Usually, a release comes at least a couple weeks after the unveil. So we could be looking at late September or early October release dates for these cards.

I'm in a similar position. Got the money for a new build and I'm not sure if I can wait :( Think I might just pull the trigger. I'm planning on getting an eVGA GTX 275 though so maybe I can step up to one of Nvidia's new cards when they come out. I realize they are coming out after AMD/ATI's but 90 days should give me a wide enough window.

I'd wait. I have a 4850 as well and at 1920x1200 res most of my games bar a few run perfectly fine. Could end up saving you alot of money as well.

I'd wait it out if your not in a big hurry or in need of a graphics card right away. I just bought all the components for my new build and i chose to buy a 4890 right now to hold me over for awhile.

I figured id give the 5 series time to hit the shelves as well as give enough time for bugs, defects, etc to get fixed. The wait is also good because it gives nvidia a chance to unveil its 300 series too.

In short, wait if new card isnt needed immediately. If the latter is true, then buy something like a 4830/50 to hold you over. Sell it and upgrade to whichever you want 5000 series or 300.

-Ado

If you have nothing now and are waiting to play games then Id buy now. If you can get by with your current card then Id wait for the new stuff.

On the other hand, waiting for the newest thing usually isnt a good idea because the instant you buy something top of the line, I mean the INSTANT you hit "check out", something newer will come out.

I bought my 780 motherboard and 7750 CPU cause they were the top of the AMD line at that price point. That was in June. By July theyd come out with the 785 mobo and new Phenom II dual cores at the same price point. Taught me real quick to not worry too much about waiting to buy the latest and greatest. ;)

buy a 4890 or a 275 immediately!! the world might end or you may die before sept 10. and then you would go to hell knowing that you werent able to play crysis at 30fps. jk. i guess if the 3 beans means that much to you, you should wait the few weeks.

Am I the only one to noticed that the card linked in the op is two bills now? lol

get mid range card.Later sell it and buy 5870 or GT300

IMO that's bad advice because the cost of having that mid range card for a month isn't worth it, because you'll take a loss when you sell it. I say wait for the 5870, it'll be $300+shipping+etc. You'll be glad you waited.

Yes u will loss about 30 to 50 $ who cares ,when you can have 2x of the performance for 50 $ more ?

Use the time waiting for the new card as mental training and practicing your self-discipline :]

I got space on the fence, you can sit with me. Look in my sig to see what I'm holding out with, and laugh because its completely overwhelmed by the CPU :D

I was intending on buying an XFX HD4890 from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150359), but a week ago I read a thread somewhere on these forums about the upcoming HD5000 series. Should I wait for it or bite? I really need a video card (sold my HD4850 a couple weeks ago).

Is the HD5000 series going to be released to the market in September?

I would wait. But what are you using in the meantime if you sold your 4850??

The 5850 will be $249 and the 5870 will be $299. Cashback will also get you at least %10 back.

But what are you using in the meantime if you sold your 4850??
NVIDIA Quadro FX1400 that I bought for $35 at Altec Computers. See signature. :D

I'm an Nvidia fan-boy and will definitely wait for the 5870 before I buy another Nvidia card.

normally i'd say that if you are waiting for the next great piece of hardware, you'll be waiting forever...but september 10th is really so close that I think it would be prudent to hold off on the trigger now.

My plan for a new build i'm working on is to wait until all the new generation releases, then reap the benefits of the new gen stuff driving down the price of the 4890. The newest card line doesn't appeal to me for the resolution I will be using.

Plus that money I saved will be well-suited to college football season starting this week!

I wish they'd come out already. My video cards feel ghetto. I so should not have sold my 9800 GT.

I dont think the new cards will drive down the 4890 price much. 5870=$300, 5850=$250, 4890=$200, 4870=$150. Not everyone will have 300 for the new cards, ati can hold 4890 at $175-200ish and still sell them at that price.

I dont think the new cards will drive down the 4890 price much. 5870=$300, 5850=$250, 4890=$200, 4870=$150. Not everyone will have 300 for the new cards, ati can hold 4890 at $175-200ish and still sell them at that price.

I hate to admit it but this may happen.

Back