3.2TB SSD for $240

Random question for anyone who bought one of these:

How wide is the pcb on this ssd? (from PCIe connector to opposite edge)

I wanted to check clearance to see if I could squirrel one of these behind some hardline in my loop.

Last edited:

I wanted to check clearance to see if I could squirrel one of behind some hardline in my loop.

Not scientific, but it is probably only 1/4" wider than the bracket itself.

I am tempted to order one of these when I get paid. I can replace the 2TB WD Gold while increasing storage space and performance.

I'm really happy with this drive for games.
I was using a 2TB SSHD before, and then switched to a couple of 5TB 5400 RPM WD Blues in RAID 0.

It would take me 5-10 seconds to load textures on the RAID 0 array on Hunt Showdown at 3440x1440 with everything maxed on my 1080TI or 2080. With this Fusion IO card my textures are pre-loaded now, so I never see blurry textures. Games load faster and close faster and just generally seem snappier too. Also no noise! My RAID0 array was constantly making noise. The Fusion I/O is a great size, good value at these refurb prices, and should have a lot of life!

Last edited:
not that i don't believe that it does support but could you run hwinfo and verify that it actually does.
View attachment 217981

Doesn't show up in HWINFO.

Any place else to check?

upload_2020-1-30_0-4-7.png

I wanted to check clearance to see if I could squirrel one of these behind some hardline in my loop.

Not scientific, but it is probably only 1/4" wider than the bracket itself.

Too good a deal to pass up for this much SSD, ordered and supposed to arrive next Tuesday. Mulled this over and came to the conclusion that it should maybe, probably squeeze behind the hardline run. Worst case scenario, I guess I'll just have to figure out a block for it and put it in the loop :wacky:

Looks like it was pulled and re listed at $245

I submitted an offer for 2 at $195 each and was auto rejected. $200 went in for approval and was approved in about a half hour.

I just bought a 1tb and a 2tb WD blue m2 ssd last night for $300. Thinking I should just cancel that order.....

here's something else that might be interesting.

I kicked off an 80GB restore from a NAS based Steam Backup of Mortal Kombat 11 to my Fusion IO drive.
At the same time I've been downloading a (65GB game Gears of War 5) from Xbox Game Pass for the last hour.

I notice a big discrepancy in disk use as plotted by Task Manager. Shows the extreme difference in write I/O capability between a standard SATA SSD, and this Fusion IO.

Drive X (Disk 2): is my 256GB Team Elite Lite SSD drive I use for dedicated Xbox Game Pass client game installs. The disk use is bouncing up and down between about 30% and 100% write while downloading from Xbox Live at my cable modem service max of about 22MB/s.
Drive G (Disk 0): is my 3.2TB Fusion IO SSD drive I now use for Steam (and other game clients besides Xbox Game Pass), and it's just idling pulling down the Steam backup from the NAS at about 30MB/s.

upload_2020-1-30_16-35-14.png

256GB SATA SSD
upload_2020-1-30_16-42-19.png

3.2GB Fusion IO
upload_2020-1-30_16-43-37.png

Same observation taken 15 minutes later.
upload_2020-1-30_16-47-36.png

There could be more to it in the way the clients handle the download and unpacking - I should probably test further, but I'm not letting Xbox Game Pass touch my Fusion IO drive - their installer locks down folders on the target drive and won't let you manage the folders yourself. Also when you delete games on Xbox Game Pass it doesn't always clear the freespace and you have to format the drive to reclaim the space. No thanks.

You get your own small dedicated SSD drive XBOX Game Pass, you misbehaving app.

All my other game clients fit nicely inside their own folders and don't cause any issues. Not Game Pass. Irony... The company that makes the OS, makes the absolute worst game client installer.

Last edited:
What have most people's drives come like? I just got mine today and installed it and there's around 9PB of writes to it, so only 54.39% remaining! It seemed like most people's had over 80% life left.

Granted, 54% life left of 20PB is still over 10PB of writes, but it's still kind-of a bummer.

What have most people's drives come like? I just got mine today and installed it and there's around 9PB of writes to it, so only 54.39% remaining! It seemed like most people's had over 80% life left.

Granted, 54% life left of 20PB is still over 10PB of writes, but it's still kind-of a bummer.
11PB remaining is way more than an off the shelf consumer retail SSD drive like a Samsung EVO has to start with. So no worries.

I put all my games onto this drive which was a bit over 2TB and performed some various stress testing and benchmarks and I’ve seen my percentage drop .02 of one percent. So in your case 54.39% to 54.37%
And reads don’t affect life, only writes do. You have nothing to worry about.

To put it in perspective, a 500GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD, a very popular drive that is highly recommend, has a 300TB write capacity at new.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/Samsung_SSD_860_EVO_Data_Sheet_Rev1.pdf
You have 11PB remaining, thats 11,000TB remaining. 36 times what a brand new Samsung consumer SSD has.

Or even more.

My Samsung 960 EVO NVME I just looked up is only rated at 200TB at brand new. I’m using it as an OS drive (lots of reads and writes) and I still am in the high 90s% range on the health of the drive. I purchased it in summer 2017, and its on my main PC I use most every day.

Last edited:
Picked up one as well. 25 Watts and 65% remaining. Shows decent numbers consistent with everyone else. Primary use is a game drive for me. Will probably pick up a few more for my server.

Attachments

• 3.2PCISSDStats.jpg
    3.2PCISSDStats.jpg
    954.3 KB · Views: 0
here's something else that might be interesting.

I kicked off an 80GB restore from a NAS based Steam Backup of Mortal Kombat 11 to my Fusion IO drive.
At the same time I've been downloading a (65GB game Gears of War 5) from Xbox Game Pass for the last hour.

I notice a big discrepancy in disk use as plotted by Task Manager. Shows the extreme difference in write I/O capability between a standard SATA SSD, and this Fusion IO.

Drive X (Disk 2): is my 256GB Team Elite Lite SSD drive I use for dedicated Xbox Game Pass client game installs. The disk use is bouncing up and down between about 30% and 100% write while downloading from Xbox Live at my cable modem service max of about 22MB/s.
Drive G (Disk 0): is my 3.2TB Fusion IO SSD drive I now use for Steam (and other game clients besides Xbox Game Pass), and it's just idling pulling down the Steam backup from the NAS at about 30MB/s.

View attachment 219548

256GB SATA SSD
View attachment 219553

3.2GB Fusion IO
View attachment 219555

Same observation taken 15 minutes later.
View attachment 219562

There could be more to it in the way the clients handle the download and unpacking - I should probably test further, but I'm not letting Xbox Game Pass touch my Fusion IO drive - their installer locks down folders on the target drive and won't let you manage the folders yourself. Also when you delete games on Xbox Game Pass it doesn't always clear the freespace and you have to format the drive to reclaim the space. No thanks.

You get your own small dedicated SSD drive XBOX Game Pass, you misbehaving app.

All my other game clients fit nicely inside their own folders and don't cause any issues. Not Game Pass. Irony... The company that makes the OS, makes the absolute worst game client installer.

Remember the abortion that was GFWL? That was so terrible I made a point to uninstall it after beating whatever game that required it.

Got mine installed the other day too. Mine has 84% life left.

From what I've seen consumer NVMe drives go up to about 1.5PB of endurance.

Here's some benches of my ioScale along with a couple NVMe and an old SATA drive (that also came out the same year the ioScale did in 2013). The ioScale has the 75W PCI-E slot override enabled (it's in my 2nd x16 GPU slot, so I know that can output 75W) and using the SW/drivers package from WD's enterprise site.
MuoPfwN.jpg

you guys should read about the HAMMER test. some site or magazine bought like 22 SSDs when they were still relatively a new thing and still pricey. then ran for like 3 years non stop reads and writes and most managed like some 10+PB was it? it was way way more than any of those early gen SSDs were rated for. yeah 54% is a bummer but, still usable. hell see about returning it as defective if you want? heck maybe the seller will knock a few bucks off in partial refund?

Doesn't show up in HWINFO.

Any place else to check?

View attachment 219382

You on Ryzen? Have any NVMe drives already installed?

Well, I sent a message to the seller asking if they'd do an exchange for one with more endurance left. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask, since an extra 6+PB of writes could mean quite a few years of extra life and I was thinking about eventually moving it over to one of my servers where it would get more intensive use than as just a `games' drive in my Windows box.

EDIT: They agreed to an exchange without any issue; I just need to ship it back and they'll send me a replacement.

Last edited:
Well, I sent a message to the seller asking if they'd do an exchange for one with more endurance left. I figure it couldn't hurt to ask, since an extra 6+PB of writes could mean quite a few years of extra life and I was thinking about eventually moving it over to one of my servers where it would get more intensive use than as just a `games' drive in my Windows box.

EDIT: They agreed to an exchange without any issue; I just need to ship it back and they'll send me a replacement.

that is greatness. i may do the same then.

You are worried about nothing. These wont die from write endurance exhaustion for home use.

They sell these drives with grade assignments if you have a legit reason to be worried about it. IE Grade A is 90% or above life remaining. The graded drives cost much more!!!

Since no grade was mentioned I assumed they either weren't checking, or these had use on them. Either way. its a TREMENDOUS amount of life remaining. Even at 50% life remaining (10PB) you could completely write the drive over with unique data around 3,200 times. (Vs 6400 times for new). And as a poster previously mentioned those estimates are likely conservative for legal reasons.

I bet, in the usable service life of this drive, in my home PC as a games drive, I might fill it two or three times.

Don’t sweat the small stuff!

Last edited:
You are worried about nothing. These wont die from write endurance exhaustion for home use.

They sell these drives with grade assignments if you have a legit reason to be worried about it. IE Grade A is 90% or above life remaining. The graded drives cost much more!!!

Since no grade was mentioned I assumed they either weren't checking, or these had use on them. Either way. its a TREMENDOUS amount of life remaining. Even at 50% life remaining (10PB) you could completely the drive with unique data around 3,200 times. (Vs 6400 times for new). And as a poster previously mentioned those estimates are likely conservative for legal reasons.

I bet, in the usable service life of this drive, in my home PC as a games drive, I might fill it two or three times.

Don’t sweat the small stuff!
This. I never understood why people fear wearing out SSD drives. Sure there have been outliers like the old OCZ drives dying but that was mostly the controllers. I have SSD from 2013 that still run perfectly fine. Only replaced them with newer, faster and bigger drives. I use one as a portable media drive for years and is still kicking even with all the constant deleting and writing to. I just find SSD lack of lifespan to be so over blown. They are sure as hell more reliable then spinning rust is I think. Most will out live their usefulness before the nand dies. Even QLC drives.

The same seller has a 6.4tb drive up for sale for $600 but it has a make offer that has a suggested price of $450. I threw an offer in there to test the water. Will update if the guy responds.
The 6.4TB devices are faster.

Bought 1 for $200 yesterday, should arrive on Monday so I'll benches then. 3.2TB for $200 seems like a steal as long as you have an extra PCIe slot.

The guy got back to me with $550. I said nah. Just a headsup for people that are thinking of going for the 6.4tb model.
<$100 per TB is not bad. But yeah you could just RAID 0 stripe two of the smaller ones for the same capacity and more speed + $400

<$100 per TB is not bad. But yeah you could just RAID 0 stripe two of the smaller ones for the same capacity and more speed + $400

AFAIK the smaller sized ones are all sold out - only reason I brought up the larger sized one :-D

I’m glad I was able to get a pair while I could. I have mixed feelings about them being sold out. I was thinking about getting 3 more for the kids computers... but on the other hand I don’t need to spend $600 for Minecraft, Roblox, and CS:GO...

Threw an offer for $475 at the 6.4, was accepted o_O. Not sure if seller was simply in TGIF mood or what but I'm in shock. Considering what happened in earlier posts I was expecting a rejection.

WOAH! didn't even know aobut it!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanDisk-64...738855?hash=item3fda14d867:g:rDcAAOSwQ0teAOI8
so mine is also 50% i did a QUICK format and ran the test.

EDIT: "fio-config -p FIO_EXTERNAL_POWER_OVERRIDE <SN-1439D16AE>:75" failed to execute, i tried that AFTER running the bench.

EDIT: alright how do i get this to show up in Lubuntu? i dual boot.

Attachments

• ouch.PNG
    ouch.PNG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • test.PNG
    test.PNG
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • check.PNG
    check.PNG
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Grats on $475!

I really didn't need the drive so I lowballed on purpose just to see if he would bite. I'd rather not be the first guy to pull the trigger - without having some idea of the history / endurance left on the drives.

Besides I'm torn on usiong a PCIE slot / blocking airflow on storage - it would defeat the purpose of switching over to all m.2 drives 🙃

Back