290/290x availability thread

I never buy the first revision of graphic cards anyways so don't care about availability at the moment. The 2nd or 3rd revision the cards should be tweaked and running optimal with all the kinks worked out.

Relax. AMD already announced the MSRP. Why the fuk would they announce it again? It's $399.99. I just picked up two from amazon for $399 each (+ tax) TODAY.

i call bullshit on that as the cards are very inflated due to the fucking crypto coin boom proof or shens

How come none of the Availability Thread posts have -links- to these mythical $US399 R9 290's?

The lowest advertised price Amazon has for R9 290 is $US469.

Oh, I can guess why, and it's all to do with deceit and dishonesty. Get back to us with some evidence, and/or keep your vacuous lies to yourself.

Because they get snatched up as soon as they become available for MSRP? :/
And......vacuous lies? Lol? Yes, because I have such a huge incentive to vacuously lie to you....

For what it's worth, here is a quote from a HardOCP review from today (the same website that originally reported a higher MSRP in a review) confirming the MSRP of the 290x to be $549. "The AMD Radeon R9 290X is priced at an MSRP of $549, but inflated prices due to high demand, coupled with the R9 290X's high heat output and power demand has made the R9 290X a little less appealing to gamers and enthusiasts, but not LiteCoin miners." http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...ipation_edition_crossfire_review#.UubVjxDnaCo
They also mention XFX as saying that the MSRP of this particular card (with an aftermarket cooler) is $569-$579. That is in line with the MSRP's not changing.

So, was HardOCP wrong before, or are they wrong now? Both? Neither?

Last edited:
i call bullshit on that as the cards are very inflated due to the fucking crypto coin boom proof or shens

How come none of the Availability Thread posts have -links- to these mythical $US399 R9 290's?

The lowest advertised price Amazon has for R9 290 is $US469.

Oh, I can guess why, and it's all to do with deceit and dishonesty. Get back to us with some evidence, and/or keep your vacuous lies to yourself.

First rule of the internet, never feed the troll. But, you seem hungry. (Two for one deal, today only)

yRHIEav.jpg

Amazon has been keeping 290(X) cards at or near MSRP ($400 and $550) if sold by Amazon directly, in stock or not. I've been following them since early December. I would have ordered all four at $400 had I seen the post in time.

Anyone who is following prices knows the 290 shows up at $399 (or very close) at least a few times daily via Amazon.
It's not surprising. You shouldn't need to post proof since it happens constantly.

Anyone who is following prices knows the 290 shows up at $399 (or very close) at least a few times daily via Amazon.
It's not surprising. You shouldn't need to post proof since it happens constantly.

Exactly. They just look like they're never in stock at those prices because they sellout in minutes

Amazon and Newegg won't ship Video Cards to Australia.

Here's the local prices: ($AU1.00 ~= $US0.87)

http://computers.mwave.com.au/search#w=r9 290
http://www.scorptec.com.au/search/?keyword=r9-290
http://search.pccasegear.com/search#w=r9 290
http://www.eyo.com.au/search_results.php?search_term=r9+290&x=0&y=0
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/search.php?search_query=AMD+Radeon+R9+290&recommendation=127308

msy.com.au has cheapest, and even they are still minimum of $AU499 (~$US430, including tax)

I check Amazon every day, lowest price I've seen is $US469 for the MSI Gaming R9 290's. I check NewEgg each day, and lowest R9 price is $US500+ and has been for weeks.

Glad to be proved wrong that some people can snatch $US399 cards. Also still without an R9 290 card, and waiting for some price break to reach General Public. The prices in Amazon from their 'resellers' are hugely inflated.

I don't know about bot scripts, there's been several occasions where I refresh this thread to find an Amazon link and the cheap cards linger for about 10-15 minutes before going out of stock.
Considering they're getting usually less than 10 cards in-stock at a time, they hang around for a while.

I don't know about bot scripts, there's been several occasions where I refresh this thread to find an Amazon link and the cheap cards linger for about 10-15 minutes before going out of stock.
Considering they're getting usually less than 10 cards in-stock at a time, they hang around for a while.
Yeah, me too. I picked up an Asus DCII 290 for $439 from Amazon, I think from this thread. Well, it's backordered and probably won't be here until February 15th-ish, but that is the price I will pay. They only have one listed for $999.00 currently though. Would anyone, even a miner, be crazy enough to buy one at that price?

Yeah, me too. I picked up an Asus DCII 290 for $439 from Amazon, I think from this thread. Well, it's backordered and probably won't be here until February 15th-ish, but that is the price I will pay. They only have one listed for $999.00 currently though. Would anyone, even a miner, be crazy enough to buy one at that price?

the DC cards suck for mining, they hold the heat too badly. Reference are so much better for miners that I'd rather pay a lil more for a reference than pay extra for an aftermarket cooler tat is worse for me.

the DC cards suck for mining, they hold the heat too badly. Reference are so much better for miners that I'd rather pay a lil more for a reference than pay extra for an aftermarket cooler tat is worse for me.

The 290 DC cards are fine, closed case or not, and only the Tri-X is better from reviews. The Windforce and MSI Gaming also have heat issues inside cases. If you're using an open-air case then they are all near-equal.

so under no circumstances should a gamer ever buy a reference? its a real shame since these cards were said to be great value for the money.

You check Amazon once every 24 hours, while other people are hooked up with scripts that check every 5 minutes, and you expect to catch something?

I don't expect to be buying from Amazon when they generally won't ship to Australia, so, unsurprisingly, it's not a big priority.

Yesteday saw a reference XFX for ~$US440 on Amazon which -was- available to Australians, worked out to be $AU572 shipped (no free shipping on international orders). Considering warranty, and it's merely a Reference card, I demurred. You can get Asus DirectCUII R9 290 cards for $AU650, but that seems to be arbitrarily expensive.

I'm trying to figure out why this costs more than the R9-290 gamer. Although this reference card has a "list" price of 509.99$ apparently? Did that change or something?

In any case, it's pretty dumb that the custom MSI gamer 290 is less expensive on amazon than this.....and they're both being sold by amazon. (not a 3rd party reseller). Doesn't make sense. While some folks do prefer reference, you'd think the reference would be cheaper when both are sold by amazon.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm trying to figure out why this costs more than the R9-290 gamer. Although this reference card has a "list" price of 509.99$ apparently? Did that change or something?

In any case, it's pretty dumb that the custom MSI gamer 290 is less expensive on amazon than this.....and they're both being sold by amazon. (not a 3rd party reseller). Doesn't make sense. While some folks do prefer reference, you'd think the reference would be cheaper when both are sold by amazon.

maybe the prices actually are going up? But other cards have still been showing up at the right price.

Miners buy reference cards typically....

If I am going to water cool.. Is there any point to getting anything other than a reference? Also, has anyone been able to unlock a 290 anymore? Or did that die?

Prices on Newegg actually went up.
Tri-X 290 is now $619.
The $499 refs aren't listed anymore so they're $529 now most likely (again).

If I am going to water cool.. Is there any point to getting anything other than a reference? Also, has anyone been able to unlock a 290 anymore? Or did that die?

Being that most custom cards for the 290X right now are reference based, I would say that there is no point. Reference would be fine. AFAIK, the only exception to reference PCB at this point and time (on the market) is the Asus DC II 290X.

The lightning 290X is supposed to be custom PCB based, but there is no release date for it as of yet.

Being that most custom cards for the 290X right now are reference based, I would say that there is no point. Reference would be fine. AFAIK, the only exception to reference PCB at this point and time (on the market) is the Asus DC II 290X.

The lightning 290X is supposed to be custom PCB based, but there is no release date for it as of yet.

Thanks for the response xoleras... I really want to somehow get into mining (more for sport than cash, but anyway), and I figure if I'm building a gaming rig, why not AMD? Although I do have someone offering me a Titan w/ACX for my PS4 (which is obviously tempting considering the PS4 cost me $400)... But, if I were to get a couple 290's...And considering I don't pay electricity... It's kind of a strong pull towards them.

Not sure if it was listed on this thread yet - but be sure to check the 'zon warehouse deals!

Yep, if you're into mining AMD is the only choice. And yeah, reference 290/290X is fine for WC'ing. I wouldn't worry about a custom card right now.

I have mixed feelings on amazon warehouse, though. I think newegg open box deals are a bit better in terms of price, most of the stuff I see on amazon warehouse are only 10-20$ cheaper. Of course, newegg open box deals on high end GPUs seem to disappear instantly, being as newegg open box deals are usually a 100$+ discount. Hard to buy unless you have some sort of alert system in your email.

Maybe i'm looking at (amazon warehouse) during the wrong times, though. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What about unlocking to 290x? Do I need to find an old card for that?

"After a few days investigation it looks like only R9 290 graphics cards, which have a chip from before the 38th production week can be unlocked. All cards with chips after production week 38 can’t be unlocked anymore."

What about unlocking to 290x? Do I need to find an old card for that?

"After a few days investigation it looks like only R9 290 graphics cards, which have a chip from before the 38th production week can be unlocked. All cards with chips after production week 38 can’t be unlocked anymore."

Yeah they're long gone, they caught onto people doing it faster this time than back in the 6950 days or some of the other unlockables

Right... Well, perhaps I can find some second hand..? Is there any way to identify date on them?

Right... Well, perhaps I can find some second hand..? Is there any way to identify date on them?
You should just grab the first card that pops up at MSRP and call it good. the 290x isn't $150 better and you're more likely to find a 290x at MSRP than you are a 290 unlocked for cheaper.

Just got this:

"Gigabyte R9 290X GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC Graphics Card GV-R929XOC-4GD"
Previous estimated arrival date: February 26, 2014 - March 10, 2014
New estimated arrival date: February 05, 2014

so those $599 cards will be around quicker than expected. I personally don't want them next week. I already have some Asus scheduled around the same time. The asus is cheaper and well historically the Asus cards have been better to me than gigabyte which has really hit/miss quality on cards.

Judging by Amazon's estimates for other 290/X cards it seems like Feb and March will be the time when supply will catch up with demand. It really depends on Bitcoin prices though, since all alt-coins are based off of BC. Once enough coins are mined and the value drops, then and only then will we see 290s at MSRP. ASICs for script coins are still a year out so GPUs will continue to be the go-to miners.

Back