290/290x availability thread

I'm glad I can wait for my next video card purchase. The current state of gouging by the market, is completely FUBAR.

I want a non-reference R9 290. I don't want to pay $US100+ over MSRP. Is that so bad?

True. Also, 100 less than most places right now (IF it's even in stock) for a non ref 290.

The non reference cards don't carry a $399 MSRP most of them have an MSRP around $450. I'd rather see the reference cards myself since I'm a miner but the $30+ gouge the manufacturers are doing for the MSRP on non reference cards is rather stupid but we're living in a stupid world right now. I'd be willing to pay $475 MAX for a 290 right now and I'd rather avoid the 290x because for mining the 290x isn't worth the $150 premium over the 290. I don't believe its worth it for gaming either but the high end gamers are used to overpaying in comparison to the next card down in "value"

Nope. That's my plan as well. Just sharing for others who might be willing to drop $500 on a non ref 290 since it's a (relative) deal compared to Newegg's $599.

I remember when the 290/290X availability thread was about 290/290X availability ...

So are we finally seeing prices drop? 499 is better than $650 but they still need to come down at least $50.

As stated above, MSRP from AMD seems to have increased $US100 from the original $US399 to US499, for -reference- R9 290 cards, so this would be a good price for a solid cooler.

As stated above, MSRP from AMD seems to have increased $US100 from the original $US399 to US499, for -reference- R9 290 cards, so this would be a good price for a solid cooler.

Their aftermarket coolers are worth $50 if even that... My dual Winforce 3 's are a joke in the cooling dept. I'll gladly take a reference board and watercool it. Aside from the different coolers, aftermarket 290/X aren't worth the premium since it's just a cooler, nothing other than that is special about it. I really thought we would see something better.

I was 100% confident that 'after christmas' we would see a dramatic increase in availability and decrease in price (this was my November prediction). Sad to see that the Cryptcoin mining boom is unrelenting, and people are paying insane amounts of money for something that was -advertised- at $US400.

Waiting for aftermarket coolers was also on my agenda, and the resultant prices are eye-watering, and consume gouging++. The miners don't care, they swallow them up.

Ebay, NewEgg and Amazon all have very similar prices, all $100-300 above MSRP for R9 cards, it's sick-making.

I shake my head each day at the ongoing unrelenting prices, and stick with my SLI GTX570's.

It's irritating as all getout to have 'early adopters' crow about their $US400 R9 290's (Reference coolers be damned), whilst the state of play here in Australia is "Hand over $AU600 and you can have a reference card, or $AU800 for a R9 290x. I objected to the $800+ pricetag for the inferior (IMHO) GTX780 pre Nvidia's Nov 2013 price adjustment, and I'm damned if I'm paying >$500 for some future paper-weight bit of solder, silicon, and very expensive fans.

^ I feel your pain. Been waiting to get my hands on a r9 290 with aftermarket cooling for a while now. Waiting to nab two r9 290 Tri-x cards. Always out of stock, or a ridiculous mark up. Quite sad I must say =*(. I picked up a sapphire r9 290 reference about a month ago...Had elpida memory, black screening on me with bsod's. Wasn't for my system, for my cousin....Sent it back and got a refund. Regret doing so atm, should of just nabbed him a replacement via exchange considering I got it for 399.99 via tigerdirect. Before they jumped on the markup bandwagon =*(.

Last edited:
Those Sapphire Vapor X cards are not that badly priced. Considering the cooler will run around $100 or more, plus to recoup costs for R&D. At the end of the day its all what youre willing to pay for it, and they will price it accordingly.

I put an order in at amazon for 2 of the tri-x 290s. I'm hoping before they ship I can find a better deal though.

SuperBiiz has the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC for $575 w/ free shipping in stock and it comes with a free R7 240 2GB GPU! (https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AT-290TR4G)

They also have the Gigabyte R9 290 OC for $570 plus $5 shipping (https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=GA-R929OC4)

I can definitely vouch for SuperBiiz as well. Great customer service. Also one of the few places that people from NJ don't get charged tax anymore.

I bought my Asus 7970 DirectCU II when 7970's were being discontinued to make room for the R9 280X's. I paid $260 after rebate. Looking on eBay, I could sell my card at a profit and get something like an Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II without all that much out of pocket cost. That's how crazy these mining inflated prices are!

Has XFX made a decent card in the history of their existence? At least since switching to AMD.
Both ASUS and Gigabyte are having issues with their cooler.

The only 290 or 290x that isn't a flop is the Sapphire Tri-X, maybe only because there are still a lot of missing reviews.

Yeah, some Quad XFire for me and my son!!!

WP_20140123_22_55_50_Pro_zps2f7d23d9.jpg

Best deal r9 290 MSI Gaming.Of course I am not an asshole,but added it to my cart for the fun of it.18 bucks shipping is the total cost.

hczx.jpg

Back