290/290x availability thread

Hoping the 290x's will come down to msrp prices also. Need another for Farcry 3 eye candy.

Just bought new sealed XFX Radeon R9 290 Graphics Card on E-bay for $355.Prices are coming down.

In case anyone still in the market for cheap cards, these pop up on Newegg every day or so.
The price is still going down. The 290 was $384 last time.

8h0vvrq.png

The Powercolor PCS cooler is as good as the Trix cooler. Thaty 290 for 420 dolars is ridiculously good value. It'll do 1200 mhz sub 75-80 degrees acorss the board, core VRM etc.

The 290 for $350 is even a better value, yeah? That's GTX 570 price back in the day. $420 is 20% more.

Better than ebay's pricing right now, plus it's less likely to be a mining card.
It's probably a PowerColor refurb though. The PCS+ had bios problems causing the cards to run at low clocks.

I'm guessing PowerColor took those RMA's, fixed the bios, and sold them to Newegg.

Gotta love the mining craze. 290 for $300 or slightly less on ebay, 290x ~$350. Shipped, no tax.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Waited 5 months for this, first on aftermarket coolers, then on price, but for $299 I'll deal with the reference blower, finally ordered one! :)

Holy smokes thats a smokin good deal... A 290 for 279 with free shipping....

9 of 10 sold for $279 with free shipping on a ref 290. Seller has 100% positive feedback. Sooooo tempting!

Yea it'd be a good deal.

Most of the 290's that could unlock to 290X's were the very early cards shortly after launch. A couple of months after that it was rare to pull off. Without knowing how old the card is you couldn't really say for sure but my guess is it'd be unlikely.

Amazon.ca just bought me a New Gigabyte GV-R929XOC-4GD with shipping and tax for 370us.
Damn R9 290X for 370,Great fast card and less than half price of one of my 780TI cards I have bought in the past.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Picked up a reference 290x for $330 shipped on the ebay last week. Thats cheap enough to switch me over to team red from a 6 year hiatus.

Picked up a reference 290x for $330 shipped on the ebay last week. Thats cheap enough to switch me over to team red from a 6 year hiatus.

Nice one there.I love it when you can buy 2 high end AMD cards for less price of one high end Nvidia .

Hopefully the used market will help reduce pricing of new cards. All of these cards from both companies are overpriced. Pitcairn and Tahiti were both cheaper last year before the new "R" series was released.

You're recalling black friday/clearance sales just before the R9 series came out.
It happens before every new generation of cards.

Prices are really dropping. I see a quantity of reference Sapphire R9 290X on Craigslist for $200.

Back