290/290x availability thread

yes; too many fanboys running around accusing people of flaming, so you need evidence these days. and, my print screen button doesn't work - coffee damage.

Well I mean you could've just used the Snipping Tool.

Gonna be a bitch getting that white out off the screen though. So how hard is it to return something to Amazon, or should I just ebay my 290x :)

Gonna be a bitch getting that white out off the screen though. So how hard is it to return something to Amazon, or should I just ebay my 290x :)

Amazon will let you return anything within 30 days for a replacement no questions asked. However, for refunds, if it's not damaged or defective then you'll have to pay a 15% restocking fee. They don't test hardware though, so it basically just comes down to whether or not you want to lie to their customer service.

Hrm, 290Xs are still hard to get I see? I was thinking about getting a second one...

OK my mind is now made up. I was going to wait until the cards come with the aftermarket coolers on them but i want one of these baby's now! My only question is since these cards are basically the same reference design, which one comes with the best software for overclocking.

I am sure he's not using a $20 keyboard like some people:D

Because even nice keyboards are expensive.... You can get a good mechanical for $60 these days. I use a Logitech K800 that was $60. SOOOOOOOOOOO expensive.

PRINT SCREEN PAL!

OK my mind is now made up. I was going to wait until the cards come with the aftermarket coolers on them but i want one of these baby's now! My only question is since these cards are basically the same reference design, which one comes with the best software for overclocking.

i've actually been pleased with the reference cooler. mine never throttles the card (that i've seen) and i've never seen the fan spin above 53%. i game with open headphones and the noise level is completely fine. as far as overclocking, it doesn't really matter. you can use Afterburner for any card (it's my prefered software but there's a ton to choose from). since no voltage control is available yet for 290X/290 cards (Unwinder is working on this for Afterburner) i just use CCC to overclock my card.

Because even nice keyboards are expensive.... You can get a good mechanical for $60 these days. I use a Logitech K800 that was $60. SOOOOOOOOOOO expensive.

PRINT SCREEN PAL!

Yeah I haven't found a good mechanical ergonomic keyboard yet. Hopefully I can find one with the Microsoft layout...

Back to thread topic, I had a very hard time getting my 290x's. They seem to sell out within minutes on the Egg, and Amazon doesn't take Paypal (sorry Kyle).

Last edited:
i ordered a powercolor 290 from newegg earlier today when i know i shouldnt have.

Newegg has Sapphire and XFX 290s in stock. I just picked up 2, gonna return my Gigabyte 290x.

Egg doesn't do rush processing anymore? Blehhhhhhhh.

i was seriously about to buy the 290 until i realized frozencpu only has ek blocks on backorder :(

was probably best that i didnt order the card anyways, but damn i was so close lol

got my order in for a 290. ek block on the way by next week it seems. i will def crossfire this bad boy in the future. i honestly dont see the value in a 290x over its brother 290.

Yay...

Nov 6, 2013 8:04 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery ROMULUS, MI

Wewt, my 2 xfx 290s will be here tomorrow, and at least 1 water block will be here ready to go.

Wewt, my 2 xfx 290s will be here tomorrow, and at least 1 water block will be here ready to go.

Lucky you. my 290 is coming today but the waterblock wont be here for another week.

Question for everyone, what would be a solid power supply for 2 290s in crossfire?

No way, there's not a town called Romulus.

http://www.romulusgov.com/

live_long_and_prosper.jpg

Lucky you. my 290 is coming today but the waterblock wont be here for another week.

Question for everyone, what would be a solid power supply for 2 290s in crossfire?

I'm running an Enermax 1100 :) The only reason I'm getting a water block tomorrow is because Frozencpu had exactly 1 acrylic in stock so I called and cancelled my order for the acetal and ordered the acrylic they had. It shipped out yesterday.

I just bought a pair of Sapphire R9 290X cards from Newegg.

scratch that...looks like they went out of stock because I just got notification from Newegg that the order could not be processed...LOL

Last edited:

Look at the review for the card. The gpu pulls over 300 watts at load.
On Guru or Anand they had the load wattage for two 290X cards at 780 watts.
I would not try and run anything under 1000 watts with these cards. That would be putting near 80% load on the psu.

The systems used by reviewers are very lean. If you have multiple drives, fans watercooling and whatever else you are really going to strain the system.

I had a Corsair AX 850 in the system I plan to use for my 290Xs. over the weekend I ordered a Seasonic 1050 Gold and I'm wondering if that is going to be enough.

Is it no longer possible to drill down to "290" (vs 290X) on Newegg? Seems like they removed advanced search! (Leaving "More Options" and "Power Search" both which lack specific gpu searching.) I guess you can achieve it by selecting "# of cores".

Hmm, 11 of 512-bit cards, but 6 290s and 4 290Xs ... who's the mystery card (it's XFX 290X)

Last edited:
I'm pretty unhappy about the new NE interface.
On a relate note to the topic... hey, the price went down from MSRP+$20 to just MSRP.

Is it no longer possible to drill down to "290" (vs 290X) on Newegg? Seems like they removed advanced search! (Leaving "More Options" and "Power Search" both which lack specific gpu searching.) I guess you can achieve it by selecting "# of cores".

yeah newegg fucked their search system.

The egg has a 72 hour 5 percent off promo... I just applied to 2x Sapphire 290's grand total $760 shipped with shoprunner... not bad!

I was able to get them to give me a 42 dollar gift card for my XFXs since I ordered them before the promo. Now I gotta come up with something to buy in the next 3 months.

The egg has a 72 hour 5 percent off promo... I just applied to 2x Sapphire 290's grand total $760 shipped with shoprunner... not bad!

that's a good deal right there. a lot of graphical horsepower for the price.

Back