290/290x availability thread

Does Gigabyte cover switching heatsink?

Eh, trigger pulled.

Most companies could care less if you change the heatsink.
Obviously if a problem occurs, it's don't ask......don't tell.
Put the original sink back on and send the card for RMA.

It's more of an honesty issue.....did you FUBAR the card putting the new heatsink on?
Did you try to overclock it to some ridiculous level?

I mean, it all comes down to how you feel about what happens.

Galaxy explained it to me, as, they just don't talk about aftermarket cooling, they won't ask, you don't offer it up. Put the original heatsink back on and send in the card.

Most companies could care less if you change the heatsink.
Obviously if a problem occurs, it's don't ask......don't tell.
Put the original sink back on and send the card for RMA.

It's more of an honesty issue.....did you FUBAR the card putting the new heatsink on?
Did you try to overclock it to some ridiculous level?

I mean, it all comes down to how you feel about what happens.

Galaxy explained it to me, as, they just don't talk about aftermarket cooling, they won't ask, you don't offer it up. Put the original heatsink back on and send in the card.

Ya, I figured I'd just take my chances. I have never killed a card due to overclock/watercooling. The only video cards I've ever had die was my 6970 that started artifacting super bad without even being overclocked. But it's always nice to know that you won't get told to pound sand if a card does go wrong through no fault of your own but you put a waterblock on it.

Picked up one of the XFX 290Xs on Amazon Monday, it's the BF4 edition.

Yup. I got one of the XFX off Amazon....R9-290X-ENFC....and it's the BF4 version.

GoGo MSI still up on the egg.......579 so is probably the BF4 version too.:D

I wish amazon would get some back in stock. The tax + shipping on newegg is a killer.

I am in NY , no tax with Newegg but 8.75% through Amazon... Go figure. :)

Living in Cali I have tax at both Amazon and Newegg :( tigerdiit srect and directron are the two I know dont charge tax here

Looks like the msi has been in stock for a while, anyone that wants one should be able to grab one. And it says comes with battlefield 4 as well as having the battlefield box in the pictures

Ya, I figured I'd just take my chances. I have never killed a card due to overclock/watercooling. The only video cards I've ever had die was my 6970 that started artifacting super bad without even being overclocked. But it's always nice to know that you won't get told to pound sand if a card does go wrong through no fault of your own but you put a waterblock on it.

Since I got my 290Xs yesterday, I did notice little stickers on the heatsink bracket on the back......"warranty void if removed".

Both XFX and MSI state in their warranty that aftermarket cooling is allowed, and if a problem arises the card must be restored to original condition......ie the stock cooler has to be put back on.

I contacted XFX by support ticket to have them clarify for certain.

First time I've ever seen those little stickers.:eek:

Since I got my 290Xs yesterday, I did notice little stickers on the heatsink bracket on the back......"warranty void if removed".

Both XFX and MSI state in their warranty that aftermarket cooling is allowed, and if a problem arises the card must be restored to original condition......ie the stock cooler has to be put back on.

I contacted XFX by support ticket to have them clarify for certain.

First time I've ever seen those little stickers.:eek:

This is correct. XFX does not care if you put a waterblock or aftermarket cooler on it as long as you live in the US. Outside of the US and you will void your warranty. For RMA etc you must put back the stock the original stock cooler.

isn't MSRP $550?...seems like some price gouging going on

ASUS up.......grab 'em NOW!!!!

Yes there will always be a little grab for cash when supplies are tight.
If you notice, all the cards sold so far are BF4 versions and they have all sold for $20-30 dollars more than a plain vanilla card.

My XFX was from Amazom it was $553
My MSI was from newegg and it was $579

Both had BF4 coupons.

The ASUS is more because it has a cool door card......I mean really, that's worth 10 bucks, right? :rolleyes:

Yup this is fairly normal. Price gouging was pretty hilarious when 5850 was the performance/$ card.

This is correct. XFX does not care if you put a waterblock or aftermarket cooler on it as long as you live in the US. Outside of the US and you will void your warranty. For RMA etc you must put back the stock the original stock cooler.

It's actually North America wide, I'm in Canada and I confirmed we're covered here too. That's why I went with XFX for my 7970's...

Edit: deleted an extra word... and, I guess it's possible they changed it to US only now. My info is getting close to a couple years old now.

Last edited:
Newegg has Sapphire and XFX 290s in stock. I just picked up 2, gonna return my Gigabyte 290x.

Egg doesn't do rush processing anymore? Blehhhhhhhh.

Newegg has Sapphire and XFX 290s in stock. I just picked up 2, gonna return my Gigabyte 290x.

they do, I was able to select rush processing this morning when I ordered one.

It's actually North America wide, I'm in Canada and I confirmed we're covered here too. That's why I went with XFX for my 7970's...

Edit: deleted an extra word... and, I guess it's possible they changed it to US only now. My info is getting close to a couple years old now.

How are XFX cards in terms of overclocking?

Do they put a lid on OC since they offer lifetime warranty?

sapphire out of stock now. powercolor and XFX are in stock right now though.

lol, sorry guys. I was the guy that bought the last two sapphires from newegg. when I bought them, it said, limit of two. as soon as I bought them, they went out of stock.

photo.jpg

Did you seriously take a picture of your computer monitor

Did you seriously take a picture of your computer monitor

yes; too many fanboys running around accusing people of flaming, so you need evidence these days. and, my print screen button doesn't work - coffee damage.

yes; too many fanboys running around accusing people of flaming, so you need evidence these days. and, my print screen button doesn't work - coffee damage.

Wait a second. You just spent $1000 on a new PSU and 2 GPU's but you cant buy a new keyboard after a coffee spill?

Wait a second. You just spent $1000 on a new PSU and 2 GPU's but you cant buy a new keyboard after a coffee spill?

I am sure he's not using a $20 keyboard like some people:D

Last edited:

Just because one may have money, does not mean he should waste it (waste is subjective, for some, a $1k titan is not a waste). I don't see any value in purchasing a new keyboard if one button does not work.

^ ha that's funny :D

congrats on the new toys bigbeard86

Thanks. I cannot wait to benchmark it myself - i never fully trust any review site, as my numbers and opionion does not fully match that of any review site.

Maybe you should've thought about getting a keyboard while you were dropping a grand.

Back