280.26 Official WHQL released

The 280 series updates seem to be almost exclusively aimed at 3d gaming.

I've been consistently updating my drivers up to 275 without issues. I tried the 280 beta and had a GPU driver crash and recovery. Anyone else noticed this? I've rolled back and now I'm a little afraid to even update to 280 WHQL.

I've been consistently updating my drivers up to 275 without issues. I tried the 280 beta and had a GPU driver crash and recovery. Anyone else noticed this? I've rolled back and now I'm a little afraid to even update to 280 WHQL.

nope, no problems with any of them 275 or 280s.

I wonder how these are with BC2...
Well I was playing BC2 with 280.19 last night, which are going to run similarly, and the performance was the best I have ever seen it. Was playing at 6080x1200, all effects High, 2X AA, HBAO on, and pegging 60fps Vysnc at all times. I was pretty blown away, it definitely did not run that smoothly when I got my 580s.

Regarding enhancements, I wouldn't expect too much more out of the 500 series silicon, but NVIDIA can always continuously improve 3D support. I think that's why recent releases have focused on 3DVS.

While I know I'm in the minority, 3D's one of the main reason I went with an Nvidia card. The 270 series pretty much broke 3D functionality for me, so it's nice to get it back up and running...for both games and movies.
I tend to agree with Rizen on enhancements. I don't really expect much of a boost in anything that isn't broken or buggy.
I haven't tried these yet, but the 280.19 betas were easily the best drivers (for me) since last fall.

280.19 beta's work perfectly for me, no BC2 issues and seem to have given a tad more performance in most games' multi. I too doubt there's much more they can eke out of the 500 series... I run 570 SLI. Still, this combines the best stuff of the past releases with the stability of 270.61 :D. I'm still contemplating the jump to 3D, so it's good to hear this release works well with it! Thinking of saving up for a Panasonic AE7000U at some point, perhaps, and replacing my Epson HC 8100 with it then primarily gaming off of it :eek:. Definitely will need to make sure I like 3d first though, but if I do... 84-100+ inch 3d 1080p projected screen would be pretty slick.

Last edited:
Well I was playing BC2 with 280.19 last night, which are going to run similarly, and the performance was the best I have ever seen it. Was playing at 6080x1200, all effects High, 2X AA, HBAO on, and pegging 60fps Vysnc at all times. I was pretty blown away, it definitely did not run that smoothly when I got my 580s.

Regarding enhancements, I wouldn't expect too much more out of the 500 series silicon, but NVIDIA can always continuously improve 3D support. I think that's why recent releases have focused on 3DVS.

the menu actually works using Surround?

Granted I'm using a different 3D than most people (3DTV Play so I can play on my TV) but I'm pretty happy with Nvidia's 3D technology...at least when drivers don't break it.
It's nice being able to play game like Crysis in 3D and still get a high framerate. The same game looks crippled on a console, but on the PC I can still get 60FPS in 3D at 720p.
Plus, you can "fake" 3D in older games, too. In particular, Far Cry 2 looks great in 3D...almost like they made it that way.

Granted I'm using a different 3D than most people (3DTV Play so I can play on my TV) but I'm pretty happy with Nvidia's 3D technology...at least when drivers don't break it.
It's nice being able to play game like Crysis in 3D and still get a high framerate. The same game looks crippled on a console, but on the PC I can still get 60FPS in 3D at 720p.
Plus, you can "fake" 3D in older games, too. In particular, Far Cry 2 looks great in 3D...almost like they made it that way.

Can you give me some linkage? I'm kind of curious as to this stuff.... I hadn't heard of 3dtv play before other than just the name. What TV do you use, and how is game compatibility?

Can you give me some linkage? I'm kind of curious as to this stuff.... I hadn't heard of 3dtv play before other than just the name. What TV do you use, and how is game compatibility?

3dtv play is mostly for HDMI only panels that have their own special 3D glasses with them, instead of nVidia's 3D glasses.

3dtv play is mostly for HDMI only panels that have their own special 3D glasses with them, instead of nVidia's 3D glasses.

Ahhhhhhh ok, thanks... back to looking for an LCD 3D nvidia 3d-vision projector or tv then :p.

...in fact, its probably the main reason I'd stick with Nvidia even if ATI's new cards kick their ass again.

Got a bsod running the installer on a gtx 570, ran it in safe mode every thing went fine after that. I recently installed the gpu folding client, I think it was going even though I clicked pause work, I think this might have caused it.

After installing drivers, lost the ability to use depth wheel with the IR emitter again like the beta 280's. Fear 3 3d has improved but still shows poor rating.

...in fact, its probably the main reason I'd stick with Nvidia even if ATI's new cards kick their ass again.
I've had the same thoughts exactly, since 2004. Kinda blows chunks that nvidia ended "3D stereovision" with their 7900 series. Those were the days when 3D just worked like it was supposed to. None of this proprietary 3D crap, you could use a monitor and a mirror if you wanted. sigh...

So Bad Company 2 is no longer broken in surround @ 5760x1080 and up with these drivers?

I've upgraded to 275.xx on Monday and started noticing black boxes appearing on my screen when playing BC2.

Installed 280.xx last night, the black boxes disappeared and BC2 ran smoothly over the previous 275.xx build.

I'm starting to get GPU driver crash/recovery messages on one of my machines with a GTX 460 card after putting in these drivers, gonna have to jump back to the previous one now. Usually don't have issues like this.

I'm starting to get GPU driver crash/recovery messages on one of my machines with a GTX 460 card after putting in these drivers, gonna have to jump back to the previous one now. Usually don't have issues like this.

Aww crap. The 275.33 drivers wouldn't even install on my 460, so I had to stick with 266.58 drivers. Was hoping these drivers were more stable. I might install 280.26 just for the heck of it, if it crashes I'll roll back. Nvidia has really dropped the ball lately on releasing stable drivers.

Played about 20 minutes of FEAR 3 and bsod. Rebooted, temps looked fine. Started up L4D2. Beat 1 chapter, bsod 5 minutes into 2nd chapter. After lots of cursing, rolled back to 275.33 and finished the the parish with no bsod. Really sucks too, best driver for fear 3 3d so far and even l4d2 seemed a bit more optimized.

While I know I'm in the minority, 3D's one of the main reason I went with an Nvidia card. The 270 series pretty much broke 3D functionality for me, so it's nice to get it back up and running...for both games and movies.
I tend to agree with Rizen on enhancements. I don't really expect much of a boost in anything that isn't broken or buggy.
I haven't tried these yet, but the 280.19 betas were easily the best drivers (for me) since last fall.

Couldn't agree with you more, the 270's sucked for 3D, there was always something that was broken and everyone was having the same issues. The 280's FINALLY seem to have gotten 3D straightened out, all the games and movies I've tried thus far are working perfectly in 3D and performance is great. Looks like these are the best nVidia drivers in a long time.

My experience with the 280 drivers hasnt been good. I keep getting screens that go blank, then a pop up stating that the driver has recovered from a fault. Very annoying. Happens about twice a day. I may have to go back to the 275.33.

My experience with the 280 drivers hasnt been good. I keep getting screens that go blank, then a pop up stating that the driver has recovered from a fault. Very annoying. Happens about twice a day. I may have to go back to the 275.33.

This will happen to me if my rig has been on for a few days sometimes and I've been gaming a lot, has been since I got my 580s last year. I actually have to power it down, simply restarting once this starts to occur doesn't fix the problem. But once I do a cold reboot everything is fine until it occurs again. Not really a problem, rebooting once or twice a week is a good thing anyway but it is an odd issue. But outside of that the rig is solid and the 280s thus far look great.

These drivers don't seem as good as the version before. For whatever reason, whatever game I play the fans are always spun up really high. The driver version before, the fan noise was hardly noticable.

Hmm, I have 580s as well in 3D Surround and haven't noticed any issues with the fans.

Messed up textures in Oblivion, going back to older drivers fixed the screwed up textures.

Wiating for the next WHQL's...:(

280s won't even boot up right on my Tri-SLI system, at least with Surround. Weirdest error ever: it fucks up going into Surround mode, and then when you reboot, the system itself gets past the Windows splash screen, but the display remains stuck at that screen. Freakish.

i'm probably going to go back to the 270.xx drivers.. friggin artifact galore in games with these drivers. not to mention my fan gets stuck at 50% then 10-15 minutes later it finally decides to let the fan go up to 70% when the gpu is under full load.. for some reason they changed the trigger temprature for the fans to speed up.. 270.xx and older drivers it was always 78C, it would slowly turn the fan speed up until the gpu temp dropped below 78C then would hold at that fan speed. now with the 280.26 drivers its 83C..

i'm probably going to go back to the 270.xx drivers.. friggin artifact galore in games with these drivers. not to mention my fan gets stuck at 50% then 10-15 minutes later it finally decides to let the fan go up to 70% when the gpu is under full load.. for some reason they changed the trigger temprature for the fans to speed up.. 270.xx and older drivers it was always 78C, it would slowly turn the fan speed up until the gpu temp dropped below 78C then would hold at that fan speed. now with the 280.26 drivers its 83C..

Odd, because with 270.xx mine would cool to keep at 85c with auto fan.... gtx 570 sli.

use a 3rd party o/c utility such as evga precision or msi afterburner to set your fan curve yourself. its easy as pie. never worry about fan speed or temps again. (other than routine cleaning of course)

use a 3rd party o/c utility such as evga precision or msi afterburner to set your fan curve yourself. its easy as pie. never worry about fan speed or temps again. (other than routine cleaning of course)

Another +1. Afterburner is the shit (I still miss Rivatuner though).

up until the 280.26 drivers the stock fan profiles were perfectly fine.. i never had to touch them.. 280.26 drivers i have to manually set it to 80% just because i don't feel like dealing with making a custom fan profile.. 280.26's didn't give me any performance benefit and i don't use that 3D garbage anyways so i went back to the 270.61 drivers.

Odd, because with 270.xx mine would cool to keep at 85c with auto fan.... gtx 570 sli.

thats because the 400/500 series nvidia uses a far less agressive fan profile, i'm using an 8800GS which is far more agressive on cooling since nvidia didn't care about fan noise with the 8/9 series cards. which i have no problem with, even at 80% fan its still quiter then my case fans. what it looks to me is that nvidia is just using a generic fan profile for all cards in the 280.26 drivers..

Back