• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

$2500 5090 I’m out

Also, keep in mind that the $2,000 - $2,500 is MSRP is really like $3,000 - $4,500.

After all, you have to pay taxes on the money you earn, don't you?

Say you make $50 an hour...$4,500 divided by $50 is 90 hours of work lol

Even if you make $100,000 a year it's hard to justify working 90 hours just for a GPU. The only people buying these GPUS are going to be bitcoin bros who made millions from it or guys still living in their parent's basement who don't have to pay rent or hell don't even own a car.

People would pay that kinda money just for some weekend event like Coachella where you will have fun for a single weekend. At least a GPU will give me thousands of hours of fun times, plus I can even resell it and get back some of that costs. High end PC gaming isn't even that expensive of a hobby relatively speaking, if you think only Bitcoin bros should be the only ones to enjoy top end PC gaming I disagree.
 
The heart wants what the heart wants.

If you had a hard life, and I mean really hard. Why not get something that you worked for? Sometimes cosmic superhuman supermen, change the paradigm so fully, that they deserve anything they want.

Work hard and believe in the wonder of life. No harm will come to you.
 
If you had a hard life, and I mean really hard. Why not get something that you worked for? Sometimes cosmic superhuman supermen, change the paradigm so fully, that they deserve anything they want.

Work hard and believe in the wonder of life. No harm will come to you.
I hate to be the nhiliist here, but everyone dies....so....just sayin...harm will come to everyone.
 
Also, keep in mind that the $2,000 - $2,500 is MSRP is really like $3,000 - $4,500.

After all, you have to pay taxes on the money you earn, don't you?

Say you make $50 an hour...$4,500 divided by $50 is 90 hours of work lol

Even if you make $100,000 a year it's hard to justify working 90 hours just for a GPU. The only people buying these GPUS are going to be bitcoin bros who made millions from it or guys still living in their parent's basement who don't have to pay rent or hell don't even own a car.

Car paid off no bills really but man it just seems kind of pointless at this point I play games on my 42in c2 120hz shit looks fine to me. I suppose if I get into fluids in Houdini, I will have to see how long that takes rendering out water Sims but even so it may not be as slow as I think with the computer I have that I’m gonna pick up in a few days, of course I could sell both video cards that I have now and it would be barely nothing to upgrade, but just really doesn’t seem worth it.
 
And the guy is right These cards will never sale at msrp. shit the 4090 NEVER dropped in price. So 2k+tax+markup+shipping=LOL
 
True story. I’m into guitars and mountain biking and while $2500 will get you a “decent” guitar, it’s not going to get you shit when it comes to mountain biking.

You can get a good Mountain Bike at Walmart for 110.00 . Our local Haro bike dealer puts Walmart bikes down saying are like cheap toys but just don't go down a Real Mountain with them and stick to wooded trails.
 
Car paid off no bills really but man it just seems kind of pointless at this point I play games on my 42in c2 120hz shit looks fine to me. I suppose if I get into fluids in Houdini, I will have to see how long that takes rendering out water Sims but even so it may not be as slow as I think with the computer I have that I’m gonna pick up in a few days, of course I could sell both video cards that I have now and it would be barely nothing to upgrade, but just really doesn’t seem worth it.

I tend to think of everything as opportunity costs. For the life of me I don't know what opportunities are lost by not having x% bump in games that i know I won't notice.
 
You can get a good Mountain Bike at Walmart for 110.00 . Our local Haro bike dealer puts Walmart bikes down saying are like cheap toys but just don't go down a Real Mountain with them and stick to wooded trails.
Your local bike dealer is right. Better to have a Walmart bike than no bike but there is a huge difference between an enthusiast bike and a department store bike. Trust me, I started on a department store bike and quickly realized how incapable they are for any serious off-road riding. Intel Atom versus AMD 9800X3D difference. Any decently equipped full suspension is $3-4k, though there are some amazing deals to be had now. Stores and manufacturers warehouses are overstocked as they (manufacturers) ramped up for COVID levels of sales that didn’t sustain.
 
Isn't this shit funny? Nvidia just wants to kill all 4090s so we have no choice but to buy their overpriced products. Funny how that is legal. Buy our new shit or get f$cked. Wonder what the 4 series will go for on the used market.

Oh well. I'll probably cave on 6 series. For now I get 120fps pretty much solid at 4k. Until newer displays come out that push 240hertz and more. I am good with 120 hertz.
 
A law should be made to force Nvidia to make 4090 gpus now ..... (instead of simply letting them make cheaper to build 5080 that perform about the same.... sold for much less)

For how long Honda should be forced to make the 2023 Civic ?
 
Last edited:
I have $1k in cashback rewards, building weekly, I'm going to throw at a 5090, or the like. Sometimes, you have to be creative for the bigger purchases.

Anyway, tariffs are still in place on China. So, your Chinese manufacturers are going to abide and the non tariff manufacturers are going to charge the same levels they do anyway. Couple more months and we'll see what will be.
 
A new hvac system costs 10-15k. 2500 isn't gonna get you shit when it comes a laundry list of things...not even gonna start talking about my boat.
And this is exactly what I'm talking about.

People will spend a LOT on their hobbies, if you took the list of all the popular hobbies out there, and sorted them be cost, PC gaming would be among the cheapest ones.

$2500 for a part is still pennies compared to car modding or hunting equipment.
 
And this is exactly what I'm talking about.

People will spend a LOT on their hobbies, if you took the list of all the popular hobbies out there, and sorted them be cost, PC gaming would be among the cheapest ones.

$2500 for a part is still pennies compared to car modding or hunting equipment.
While I agree I still don't think it's wise choice because it will depreciate in 2 generations significantly.
 
People will spend a LOT on their hobbies, if you took the list of all the popular hobbies out there, and sorted them be cost, PC gaming would be among the cheapest ones.
While I agree with you the only things that makes PC gaming more expensive is the quick turn around of something new with hardware. While some build their PC's to last them years some of us try to keep on the latest and greatest, which can become expensive real quick. It was easier to do back in the day, but with the prices where they are now it's becoming less feasible.
 
While I agree with you the only things that makes PC gaming more expensive is the quick turn around of something new with hardware. While some build their PC's to last them years some of us try to keep on the latest and greatest, which can become expensive real quick. It was easier to do back in the day, but with the prices where they are now it's becoming less feasible.
eh, get a 4090 and run it on 1080P and you'll be fine for a while!
 
I am not so sure what distinction or point Hobby part is meant to be here, it is not like professional stuff or essential to live with are cheaper, the more it is just an hobby the more people care for the price usually (in term of paying or not, not in term of complaining).

- I bought a new $210k 18 wheelers this weekend
- that expensive ? do you have a fleet or just the one for you ?
- no, no, it is not to make money with it, just an hobby, a like driving semi-trucks.
- A that feel less expensive now, said like that....

- Bough a threadripper tripple gpu rig, full kit $20,000 workstation
- For your freelance SXF business ? That expensive...
- No, no just for an hobby
- Ah, then no so much, feel more reasonable now.
 
Last edited:
I feel like hobbies where price is no object, and getting the most out of what you can afford, have two very different results.

Price is no object:
9800X3D, RTX 4090 = $3K+ build - Just buy it and build it.

Most out of what you can afford:
Lots of research, lots of looking around for the best deals, deciding on which is more important (GPU, or CPU), playing at what resolution, overclocking or not, new or used, re-use existing parts, etc. For around $500, let's compare it to the best of the best.
 
The one thing I think the "prosumers" here are forgetting when comparing pc gaming to other hobbies.........most hobbies continue to give back what you put into it. Either in tangible or intangible ways i/e; fun and enjoyment, fulfillment, the feeling of a job well done, sense of accomplishment, physical assets etc;. PC gaming has been on a downward spiral for years now and the quality of most AAA games is substandard. 15-20 years ago I could justify getting the latest GPU because I knew I'd be playing quality games for hundreds if not thousands of hours. Anyone here remember 2007? Crysis? Orange Box? Bioshock? COD 4 MW? Those games were far from the best of the bunch but they give you a sense of the high quality of gaming in those days. These days I have nothing beyond Stalker 2 to even think of purchasing another GPU; especially one that cost north of $1500.00 or more. Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars on a new pc just to run crappy "MODERN" games at max settings at 240hz? I can afford any gpu I want, but it simply makes no sense at this time in my mind to do so.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, the high-end parts aren't generally "wise" in terms of "best use of your money" but then some people don't care when it comes to a hobby.
Ya but the Nvidia parts are pushing too far into unreasonable territory now where even high end enthusiasts are thinking twice about drinking Jensons coolaid.
 
Ya but the Nvidia parts are pushing too far into unreasonable territory now where even high end enthusiasts are thinking twice about drinking Jensons coolaid.
Eh, I kinda agree with cesarioFL71. If there were more good AAA games nowadays that were worth playing a lot, I'd be a lot more likely to buy the 5090.

As-is, I'm debating it. I may use it for work use too at which point it's not a big deal, but for just gaming I'm not sure. I may just get a lesser card. If the games were there, I wouldn't think twice either. An awesome new Battlefield, an addictive new mmorpg, etc would tempt me.

Also, I don't sell my old parts anymore, so it's a bigger upfront cost than just selling my old stuff to help subsidize the new. I hand them down now :p.
 
When this card out?
1731899456385.png

next year
 
When this card out?
Question I have always wanted to ask......what is a "KickAssCop" ? Do you kick doors in and kick ex
tra amounts of A@@, hence the moniker? I am an LEO and recently retired :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ya but the Nvidia parts are pushing too far into unreasonable territory now where even high end enthusiasts are thinking twice about drinking Jensons coolaid.
We'll see. The 4090 was pretty insane, plenty of people bought it, including me. I won't deny it was a stupid amount of money but man do I like it.

Also there's a new market: AI. At work we have a LOT of researchers buy 4090s for AI development because as pricey as they are, they are still WAAAAY cheaper than pro cards and it is the most memory you can get for the price (memory is highly relevant to neural models).
 
The one thing I think the "prosumers" here are forgetting when comparing pc gaming to other hobbies.........most hobbies continue to give back what you put into it. Either in tangible or intangible ways i/e; fun and enjoyment, fulfillment, the feeling of a job well done, sense of accomplishment, physical assets etc;. PC gaming has been on a downward spiral for years now and the quality of most AAA games is substandard. 15-20 years ago I could justify getting the latest GPU because I knew I'd be playing quality games for hundreds if not thousands of hours. Anyone here remember 2007? Crysis? Orange Box? Bioshock? COD 4 MW? Those games were far from the best of the bunch but they give you a sense of the high quality of gaming in those days. These days I have nothing beyond Stalker 2 to even think of purchasing another GPU; especially one that cost north of $1500.00 or more. Why would I want to spend thousands of dollars on a new pc just to run crappy "MODERN" games at max settings at 240hz? I can afford any gpu I want, but it simply makes no sense at this time in my mind to do so.
Stalker 2 is the only big one I've been waiting for too. The only other reason would be to try some of the old games that are getting remastered with RTX remix, since ray tracing is so taxing. Other than that, I've got a huge backlog I've been meaning to get through.
 
Stalker 2 is the only big one I've been waiting for too. The only other reason would be to try some of the old games that are getting remastered with RTX remix, since ray tracing is so taxing. Other than that, I've got a huge backlog I've been meaning to get through.
Agreed re Stalker 2, only AAA game that looks worth buying in the near future.
I am still overdue to play Cyberpunk. My lowly 2070 laptop can't run it worth a darn at 4k. My TV is too fancy for my laptop when it comes to gaming.
 
I started Elden Ring and ray tracing just wrecks performance. This could be my excuse to sell 4090 and pay the difference for 5090. Stalker 2, Elden Ring with RT, Hogwarts with RT, Cyberpunk with RT. I need that smooth 120-144 fps. 80 doesn’t cut it.
 
Agreed re Stalker 2, only AAA game that looks worth buying in the near future.
I am still overdue to play Cyberpunk. My lowly 2070 laptop can't run it worth a darn at 4k. My TV is too fancy for my laptop when it comes to gaming.
I wouldn't say it's the only AAA game worth buying in the near future, but it is the only game that will likely have a decent implementation of RT and PT. Even the new Indian Jones looks like its RT implementation is an afterthought.

On the indie and AA front, I would say the upcoming year will be more exciting -- and those games aren't likely going to be employing RT and PT in any significant way.
 
15-20 years ago I could justify getting the latest GPU because I knew I'd be playing quality games for hundreds if not thousands of hours. Anyone here remember 2007? Crysis? Orange Box? Bioshock? COD 4 MW?
Absolutely this!
Last upgrade to 3080ti I did was necessary to get me to 4K, but in terms of gaming requirements, it was only Cyberpunk that truly needed it. Right now, I don't actually have a truly compelling reason to upgrade, but I am going to be seriously considering the 5090 just to max everything out. Alan Wake 2 could use a slight boost, but I stopped playing that after the first week due to boredom. I think alot of it is me getting older. I just can't be bothered to get into anything new unless I have an existing passion for it.

But when I got my first Titan I was shown the sheer joy of straight up not having to worry about graphics settings, at all, for a couple of years, period. That's the true value of the flagship cards. That's what's compelling to me.
 
Back
Top