24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

This monitor should be able to do 640x480 120hz right?

For some reason when I set custom resolution through nvidia control panel, it shows up at 75hz afterwards :/

I have played with the FW900 and was not that impressed. I might go get it just to play mame arcade games.The antiglare is what makes the monitor.. I could not imagine not having it. Wouldn't make the blacks look good i think,
i dont know

Who "plays" with a 900? Mame arcade.. NOOO.. One of my 2 FW900's is missing the anti-glare and I considered removing the AG from my second one that is damaged because the whites and colors were SO MUCH BRIGHTER, but the issue with removing it isn't any black level changes but the fact that you lose the Anti-static coating as well. You need to find "Staticide" to keep it clean.

If the sony was flat screen and could output all those beautiful colors /refresh rates without weighing 100 pounds i guess i would be all over it..

I still don't understand why everyone complains about the weight so much.. You buy it once.. Put it on your desk once and throw it away a decade later. What do people do with their monitors that makes weight a huge selling point?

i have 2 of these monitors and have removed both the ag coating from both, it takes a while tot take off its a very tough peice of film and to be honest looks much better without, the 2nd one i got had so much dirt on it - finger marks, blemishes you name it, after taking it off its much brighter and full of life i think it was well worth it, its as if i just borght it new concidering its nearly 9 years old.
The blacks are great even with brightness on 25 and turning her on from cold they are pretty good and after 30 mins or so she looks amazing i was very fortunate to get this in good working condition.
The weight does not bother me at all, kinda turns me on ;) HAHA

Would someone please help me with Windas. I just spent 3 full nights fixing a retarded SLI problem and wanted to get this calibrated and catch up on some game, so I'm just not in the mood for this right now.

I have the USB-TTL 6pin adapter from ebay. Wired up the Gnd, Rx, Tx. Drivers loaded, Com set in Windas. I have one windas with gregua in the config that will not list the models for selection.
I have another from page 91 that I can choose but when I attempt to save the original config or anything else really, it crashes. I have tried it in Win7 and xp mode. Is this a software problem or do I perhaps need to switch the Rx/Tx ?
I was running the 900 as secondary with xp mode nokia full screen, and starting Windas on the primary. But I don't see how that could effect it.

EDIT:
Ok, so sitting here at work not wanting to work I redownloaded the same install from page 91 and ran it on a native XP system. I did the same things and this time with an attempt to save it gave the comm/bus error. So what is different? I had been googling like mad and even in this massive thread there are so many windas 'versions' and different dll's I don't want to go guessing like an idiot.

Last edited:
Picked up my monitor will be testing tonight.. I will let you know if its going in the trash by Friday. I will calibrate it with spectra view eventually , and test out the image restoration. If i cant get good blacks or contrast i am chucking it. It was made Sept 2000
Hope it works out. I might use it for something. It does have a scratch in the anti glare coating.. I would like to remove it.. Must be a easy way?
Will take some pics tonight

Would someone please help me with Windas. I just spent 3 full nights fixing a retarded SLI problem and wanted to get this calibrated and catch up on some game, so I'm just not in the mood for this right now.

I have the USB-TTL 6pin adapter from ebay. Wired up the Gnd, Rx, Tx. Drivers loaded, Com set in Windas. I have one windas with gregua in the config that will not list the models for selection.
I have another from page 91 that I can choose but when I attempt to save the original config or anything else really, it crashes. I have tried it in Win7 and xp mode. Is this a software problem or do I perhaps need to switch the Rx/Tx ?
I was running the 900 as secondary with xp mode nokia full screen, and starting Windas on the primary. But I don't see how that could effect it.

EDIT:
Ok, so sitting here at work not wanting to work I redownloaded the same install from page 91 and ran it on a native XP system. I did the same things and this time with an attempt to save it gave the comm/bus error. So what is different? I had been googling like mad and even in this massive thread there are so many windas 'versions' and different dll's I don't want to go guessing like an idiot.

Try this, works fine for me on XP. Doesn't work in Win 7, though I don't have XP mode to test that.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034943690&postcount=5434

where do u live are you in the us if your going to chuck it id give you some money for it if not then would you concider selling me the d board, the board with the big flyback transformer on it, im paypal verified i really need one to bring my fw-900 back to life!
to remove the anti glare you will need to take the back cover off, then locate the 4 big screws in each corner on the back of the bezel then in on each side in the middle of the bezel there are 2 futher smaller philips screws, once you get those off the bezel will simply slide off but be carful at it.
You can see some yellow sticker strips on the tube you need to remove those and when your ready from corner to corner slowly peel away the plastic film, it takes some good pataince and carful planning because you dont want to get some stuck in the middle of the screen, ive done 2 of these and both have been a sussess.
the advantage is that your monitor will look like it just came from the sony factory honest, it looks amazing but the downside is now when ever u turn off the monitor the screen will attract dirt ect due to the static discharge! but on the whole its worth it me thinks, im always on the look out for another

where do u live are you in the us if your going to chuck it id give you some money for it if not then would you concider selling me the d board, the board with the big flyback transformer on it, im paypal verified i really need one to bring my fw-900 back to life!
to remove the anti glare you will need to take the back cover off, then locate the 4 big screws in each corner on the back of the bezel then in on each side in the middle of the bezel there are 2 futher smaller philips screws, once you get those off the bezel will simply slide off but be carful at it.
You can see some yellow sticker strips on the tube you need to remove those and when your ready from corner to corner slowly peel away the plastic film, it takes some good pataince and carful planning because you dont want to get some stuck in the middle of the screen, ive done 2 of these and both have been a sussess.
the advantage is that your monitor will look like it just came from the sony factory honest, it looks amazing but the downside is now when ever u turn off the monitor the screen will attract dirt ect due to the static discharge! but on the whole its worth it me thinks, im always on the look out for another

Colorado Springs is where i live. Sure you can have it for free if i chuck it. Thanks for the instructions.. Will I be acceptable to getting killed by the charged caps when removing the case??
I am assuming these yellow stickers are in the front behind the bezel.
I have a slight gash or scratch about 1/4 way up from the bottom of the screen. It is about 2 inches.. Other than that it is flawless .. The picture looked fine at 1024x768 but i was on win98 . Looked kinda bright due to not using image restore.. Did not get a change to examine brightness. Hopefully i can lower it without losing contrast and brightness.. The other FW900 which i had showed lines and probably could of been fixed using windas. Outside looks like mint though. I have a feeling since it was made in sept 2000 it was left on alot. We usually leave monitors on at work

all depends on the image restoration my friend, and no you wont get a shock ( provided you only do what ive instructed to do ) and yes your asumption is correct in relation to the yellow strips, what i suggest you do is leave her for about a good hour, adjust brightness to around 25 and contrast to say 55 its what i leave mind on, then perform the image restoration and see how she looks - then you can take the coating off belive me it looks much better when taken off, i got mine knocked down to £130 GBP deliverd by the guy himself so a bloody good deal there me thinks.
If id does not change much and you decide to chuck it you could sell it on ebay or im sure some others on here could do with parts like the power supply or new bezel but id like to buy the d board from you, its fairly easy to discharge the tube there are bleeder resistors that do this so no need to mess about, sorry to jump ahead i just really need one - anyway good luck keep me posted.

quote: I have a slight gash or scratch about 1/4 way up from the bottom of the screen. It is about 2 inches.. Other than that it is flawless ..

I sure hope the gash has not penitrated thru the coating would be a bar-sted if it has, i thorght i had penitrated it on the first monitor i got but it was fine so well worth the risk :)

If the coating is thick as it is , it hasnt.
The scratch seems minimal but can definitly be felt with your finger nail..
I bet if the coating was off you would not see it.

Well i got it home and its overly bright.. I have it at 1920x1200 85 htz. Text looks alittle fuzzy not bad.. I t definitely needs to warm up

i will take pics soon
PM me if you want to chat on Instant messenger

Did image restoration , got some lines going diagonally when it reaches the purple screen..
Picture looks fine but is somewhat too bright. Even at 0 brightness.
What do i need to fix this?

all depends on the image restoration my friend, and no you wont get a shock ( provided you only do what ive instructed to do ) and yes your asumption is correct in relation to the yellow strips, what i suggest you do is leave her for about a good hour, adjust brightness to around 25 and contrast to say 55 its what i leave mind on, then perform the image restoration and see how she looks - then you can take the coating off belive me it looks much better when taken off, i got mine knocked down to £130 GBP deliverd by the guy himself so a bloody good deal there me thinks.
If id does not change much and you decide to chuck it you could sell it on ebay or im sure some others on here could do with parts like the power supply or new bezel but id like to buy the d board from you, its fairly easy to discharge the tube there are bleeder resistors that do this so no need to mess about, sorry to jump ahead i just really need one - anyway good luck keep me posted.

How can i fix my overly bright monitor? I think my text too is somewhat blurry

hi, did you mess with the internal sharpness button? the other one near it controls the brightness i presume, if you messed with that one then set it lower if you didnt then DONT change it at all and ignore this reply, the reason might be something else.

well its inside the monitor so you need to open it in order to gain access, it looks like a plastic screw, are you trying to tell me yours doesnt have internal sharpness adjustment? o_O

oh ok , well i can do that later.
How do i go about getting a cable and windas? I think this can fixed
It doesnt look that bad but is definitly not comparable or worth keeping if i cant fix the G2 and sharpness. I think i can fix the sharpness but getting a hold of a cable and a computer that has a rs232 port might be difficult

the easiest and most recommended way to fix sharpness issues if nothing in the menu works is to do it internally how i specified, in my sony g520 (the one im about to return it back since no one tells me if theres a fix or not for it) there are 2 near each other, be rly carefull to not adjust the wrong one, you also need to have your monitor on, while its open adjusting the screw, make sure youre using a rubber tool to not get shocked.

unfortunatelly i cannot help you more than this as im not very familliar with your monitor but i think all crts by rule have a sharpness screw and a brightness scew, please notice this, in crts if the picture is overbrighted, it will also result in image showing up a bit blurry, so if u can first fix the brightness issue it would automatically fix the sharpness aswell i presume, at least thats how it happened on my crt lol.

well i fixed the convergence at max res.. Wish i had a windas cable :( what do i need to hook this monitor up?

anyone live near colorado springs with a windas cable and software to fix this POS.

I guess the resistor mod is not recommended. Seems like to much of a hassle to fix

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have instant messenger? PM me so we can chat tonight
]thanks

Well i got it home and its overly bright.. I have it at 1920x1200 85 htz. Text looks alittle fuzzy not bad.. I t definitely needs to warm up

i will take pics soon
PM me if you want to chat on Instant messenger

Did image restoration , got some lines going diagonally when it reaches the purple screen..
Picture looks fine but is somewhat too bright. Even at 0 brightness.
What do i need to fix this?

How can i fix my overly bright monitor? I think my text too is somewhat blurry

ahh i dont think you know anything about this monitor

There is no sharpness option

oh ok , well i can do that later.
How do i go about getting a cable and windas? I think this can fixed
It doesnt look that bad but is definitly not comparable or worth keeping if i cant fix the G2 and sharpness. I think i can fix the sharpness but getting a hold of a cable and a computer that has a rs232 port might be difficult

well i fixed the convergence at max res.. Wish i had a windas cable :( what do i need to hook this monitor up?

anyone live near colorado springs with a windas cable and software to fix this POS.

I guess the resistor mod is not recommended. Seems like to much of a hassle to fix

any help here?

well unless someone can get me a cable i am chucking this monitor on monday

Jesus christ dude, fucking relax. Nothing bad is going to happen to you if you don't resolve your problems in 3 hours.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow why you have to curse and say gods name in vain? Are you angry at someone?

He's telling you to relax because you're a spasmodic half-a-spammer with all the patience of a common gnat. You responded to that suggestion with text big enough for a blind man to read. Clearly, irony hasn't yet reached your part of the world.

when cursing is involved yes. I dont think i would be on here for almost 7 years if i started cursing on this forum at people

Last edited:
I got an idea that will fix your sharpness issue. Sell it to me for $50 bucks and I will take it off your hands.

you want to come pick it up?
Also i have a SGI Sony G520 in mint condition , id like to get rid off too.. I will sell my FW900 and G520 monitor for 100.00
I heard people drive minimum 5 hours one way for these things..

I got an idea that will fix your sharpness issue. Sell it to me for $50 bucks and I will take it off your hands.

I am pretty positive that if i invest 12 bucks and buy the cable and fix my corrupted EPROM with new G2 values it would be mint..

what you going to do with it then, wanna send me the d board will pay for it inc postage to uk i really need the d-board!

Sorry i have no idea where the D board is? I think if i had to open up a monitor and risk getting ZAPPED and Killed to send you a D board to the UK would cost you some dollars beside the shipping.
:D

Back