24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

I just bought one of these and its seriously awesome, perfect condition screen, no damage to the box or to the anti-glare coat and the brightness is fine when the onscreen is set to 30 so a long way from overbright issues.

I do however have one small issue - Down the bottom in the middle to middle right there is a yellowish blotch. Its not bad but it looks like a very faint coffee stain or some such.

From reading around general concensus seems to be a purity adjustment on the magnets on the yoke of the tube. If I sit a small surround sound satellite speaker underneath the front of the screen where the blotch is, it goes away completely - again reinforcing my belief this can be adjusted out with the magnets in the back.

Any opinions? Also where would I take it to have this done or is this something I can do myself (Im a computer tech so not afraid to get my hands dirty...or sparky as the case may be).

Get it from accurateIT? If so how is the focus in the nokia monitor test, i'm thinking of getting a replacement for the PoS one I've got.

Nah Im in Aus, I bought it off ebay and drove up to get it in person. Focus is spot on, it isnt suffering from overbright, no scratches, no burn in...just this irritating blotch (it really is minor but Im a perfectionist) which as I said, I can pull out with a relatively weak magnetic field along the bottom.

Ok, so I've searched through this thread but can't find some of the answers I'm looking for. I've found a local "wholesaler" who has 5 HP versions and 1 Sony version of this monitor. He wants $250 for the HP's and $275 for the Sony. Is this a decent price? The Sony is a 2000 production year, and the HP's range from 2000 to 2003. I assume that the best one to get would be the 2003 due to it likely having less hours on it and I've read somewhere on this thread that the 2000-2001 models have some sort of eprom issue. Anyone have an opinion/info on this? From what I could find, the only difference between the Sony and HPs are the casing color, is this true? The Sony's look better, but I figure I can disassemble the HP and paint it black without too much hassle.:confused:

Ok, so I've searched through this thread but can't find some of the answers I'm looking for. I've found a local "wholesaler" who has 5 HP versions and 1 Sony version of this monitor. He wants $250 for the HP's and $275 for the Sony. Is this a decent price? The Sony is a 2000 production year, and the HP's range from 2000 to 2003. I assume that the best one to get would be the 2003 due to it likely having less hours on it and I've read somewhere on this thread that the 2000-2001 models have some sort of eprom issue. Anyone have an opinion/info on this? From what I could find, the only difference between the Sony and HPs are the casing color, is this true? The Sony's look better, but I figure I can disassemble the HP and paint it black without too much hassle.:confused:

Not to much to pay for a monitor like this in good condition. I paid $520 shipped on mine but unfortunately it had major issues. The guy lied about its condition. Do not buy from someone who does not deal in monitors unless you can inspect it first.

No difference on the HP and Sony except for color. I replaced the Sony I first bought with an HP. I paid $260 for the HP shipped and I am very happy with it. My HP has a small scratch in the anti-glare on the right side but otherwise it is perfect. Try to get a 2003, my HP is newer than my Sony and has no issues. These are beautiful monitors for gamers, if you are a gamer go for it. If you are not then go with a higher end LCD.

What are the tests I should conduct before buying one of these monitors used? Is there anything I should watch out for?

What are the tests I should conduct before buying one of these monitors used? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Between the point of purchase and the point of installation in your home, make sure to choose the route with the fewest stairs along the way :p

I guess my main concern is with getting one with a scratched anti-glare filter. What background color would show the scratches the best?

Still looking for some technical help on the following on my Sony FW900.

1. Convergence is off and can only be calibrated with the cable only to return to bad convergence a week later.

2. Focus is only clear from 60Hz to 75Hz at the max, once you go above 85Hz the picture gets real fuzzy. I am running a nVidia 8800GTS 512MB video card. The two focus pods will not eliminate this, I can focus all I want but once you get above 85Hz it will not clear up. I have tested with the same cables I run on my HP FW9012 that displays great at all refresh rates.

3. It now makes a loud pop about every 5-10 minutes where the screen goes discolored and it looks like it shuts off for a second and then comes back on.

1. Convergence is off and can only be calibrated with the cable only to return to bad convergence a week later.

2. Focus is only clear from 60Hz to 75Hz at the max, once you go above 85Hz the picture gets real fuzzy. I am running a nVidia 8800GTS 512MB video card. The two focus pods will not eliminate this, I can focus all I want but once you get above 85Hz it will not clear up. I have tested with the same cables I run on my HP FW9012 that displays great at all refresh rates.

3. It now makes a loud pop about every 5-10 minutes where the screen goes discolored and it looks like it shuts off for a second and then comes back on.

Don't take my word as fact, considering I don't have one of these lovely monitors. But from what it sounds like, the monitor is quite aged, you can adjust the convergence/brightness etc with windas as need be, and the focus pots, but considering you can't get it crisp and clear above 85hz, is a indication that it's been used quiet a lot. The owner may have been running the monitor over specifications, therefore it's degraded and can't sharpen up above 85hz. What res are you running?

Those are just my two cents...

Bring the "Nokia monitor test" on a USB drive or something and run that. The focus, readability, and convergence tests are the big ones. They display various images on the screen that will make it easy to spot issues with each of those categories. Convergence (Red Green and Blue lining up) issues are kinda normal for trinitrons, that's why you have the option on the monitor controls to adjust it. Ideally you should be able to minimize convergence issues using just the on-screen controls.

Focus and Readability on the other hand require messing w/ the pots. If there is any problem with the Focus tests and you can't get it sharp on both the outer edges and in the inside then don't get the monitor, it's not worth the eye-strain and headaches and it will only get worse with time.

CRT? actually the clarity and high refresh rate will be easier. unless you get an unfocusable PoS like i bought from MaguS >.<

So does anyone have any insight into the slight yellow bit on my screen and whether or not purity adjustments will fix it?

So does anyone have any insight into the slight yellow bit on my screen and whether or not purity adjustments will fix it?

Stupid question but did you try degaussing the monitor? Mine's at home so I don't have access to the menu on it, but I'm pretty sure there's a Degauss option.

Yeah tried degaus and no go. As I mentioned, a small satellite speaker from a cheap 5.1 set at the bottom of the monitor is enough to remove the blotch but sitting a speaker there permanently is kind of not an option and Id like to fix it properly.

Well I've got my sun microsystems branded fw900 looking pretty good, even though I had to setup a second computer to run nokia monitor test, since it doesn't work in 64 bit and I can't find a way to run a 32 bit prog in 64.

Do the adjustments with the OSD only affect the specific resolution and refresh rate in which they are made? Or can I make adjustments with another comp and it should still look good with another video card, resolution, and refresh rate?

The picture is not perfect yet though, there is a minor shadow effect, worse in xp than vista, so I guess its only at certain refresh rate/resolutions, but I want to get a higher quality vga cable to see if that fixes it (my current one is missing a pin or two).

Who makes the best vga cables? I heard monster is good at least for home theater

i would call accurateIT, and see what they say. they repair these monitors exclusively, you might have to sent it off to get it repaired.

i would call accurateIT, and see what they say. they repair these monitors exclusively, you might have to sent it off to get it repaired.

If memory serves me right, you nabbed a fw900 from accurateit correct? How's the product been treating you? Any problems as of yet? ^_^

I'm waiting to get my new rig, once I do, plan to order a A- grade refurb.

Don't take my word as fact, considering I don't have one of these lovely monitors. But from what it sounds like, the monitor is quite aged, you can adjust the convergence/brightness etc with windas as need be, and the focus pots, but considering you can't get it crisp and clear above 85hz, is a indication that it's been used quiet a lot. The owner may have been running the monitor over specifications, therefore it's degraded and can't sharpen up above 85hz. What res are you running?

Those are just my two cents...

I like to run 1440x900 but I would run higher if the monitor would stay clear. It seems to blur out at the higher resolutions even when running it at a low refresh rate.

If the monitor has been used as you say, is there anyway to repair it?

If memory serves me right, you nabbed a fw900 from accurateit correct? How's the product been treating you? Any problems as of yet? ^_^

I'm waiting to get my new rig, once I do, plan to order a A- grade refurb.

no, i just found that they repaired them. i got mine locally where i live from a computer place that were getting rid of all their HP's A7217A's (sig), 40 of them, a couple years back for $190.
mine's been fine, a 2001 model. no problems as of yet (knock on wood) i only recently broke out the lcd because it had been sitting in its box unused for a year and figured it'll last longer than the HP:D
i dont want it to die, its a sweet monitor. going on 7 years old, i dont know how much life is left in it, so right now its sitting to the side:(

Did you try adjusting "landing" under the "screen" options. . . that's what it's there for. =)

There is an upper-right and upper-left adjustment. Hopefully the two together will adjust the upper "middle" without hosing the corners.

Just a question: Does the BNC input let these things work as an HDTV with component plugs or whatever from a dvd player?

Just a question: Does the BNC input let these things work as an HDTV with component plugs or whatever from a dvd player?

I was wondering that myself....just got one of these 2 days ago and never had to deal with BNC cables before.

RpM

if sony was smart theyd but this thing back into production- maybe release a new version with HDMI + DisplayPort and other new features

its simply the ultimate gaming monitor- i cant belive crts have been completely neglected

if sony was smart theyd but this thing back into production- maybe release a new version with HDMI + DisplayPort and other new features

its simply the ultimate gaming monitor- i cant belive crts have been completely neglected

Agreed 100%

i'm having a struggle getting the focus right on this monitor. Is there a way to get it perfect in the center and the corners at the same time? I've tried with the pots with no luck

i'm having a struggle getting the focus right on this monitor. Is there a way to get it perfect in the center and the corners at the same time? I've tried with the pots with no luck

Same problem, we're shit out of luck mate.

Nope. Not directly, it's a different format.

You would need some sort of converter. I tried it on a high definition Tivo and got an eerie green ghost of the image, but no order of hooking it up will get you a correctly displayed high def image.

A converter might be problematic though since HDMI specifications wouldn't allow you to convert into full resolution HD15 analog. Such devices might exist, but things which strip copy protection like that need to be discussed somewhere else since its illegal in the US. You could probably find information on stuff like that by searching Google for "HDMI to HD15 converter."

And you tried WINDAS?

You just need a $15 cable and some intelligence to get it set up. Also a 32bit machine. Also not sure if it works in Vista.

With WINDAS you can do dynamic convergence adjustment. Each sector of the screen doesn't adjust totally independently, but on all the monitors I've used it on I've been able to get at least passable convergence over the entire screen.

If you have questions about it just search this thread, you can find an answer to just about any question about WINDAS in it.

http://www.geocities.com/gregua/windas/

I've done the dynamic convergence calibration in WINDAS, and it helped a lot, but this is something else. Could be nice with a dynamic focus calibration.
Actually i managed to get the sides even more out of focus by skipping through the alignment procedure without correcting any values. So, maybe the focus adjustment is there somewhere in all the unnamed registers in the DAT file.
Hmm.. I guess one should check which values the alignment procedure changes and then check them one by one...

Nope. Not directly, it's a different format.

You would need some sort of converter. I tried it on a high definition Tivo and got an eerie green ghost of the image, but no order of hooking it up will get you a correctly displayed high def image.

A converter might be problematic though since HDMI specifications wouldn't allow you to convert into full resolution HD15 analog. Such devices might exist, but things which strip copy protection like that need to be discussed somewhere else since its illegal in the US. You could probably find information on stuff like that by searching Google for "HDMI to HD15 converter."

I was thinking more along the lines of component to BNC rather than using the VGA plug.

I was thinking more along the lines of component to BNC rather than using the VGA plug.

Most component output is Y-Pr-Pb, probably with sync-on-Y. The BNCs on the monitor are R-G-B-VSync-HSync. I don't remember if the Sony GDMs do sync-on-green as an option, but even if they did the colors aren't encoded the same. If you had a device with R-G-B component outputs, it might be worth a try.

I just bought the HP version of this monitor from someone locally this past weekend. I'm not sure if its brand new or just refurbished, because there isn't a blemish on it! Everything seems to be working ok, except I cannot set it to the maximum resolution. When I do, the screen looks more like the 4:3 size than a widescreen size. Any clues as to why this is? I currently have the resolution set to 1920x1200, which works great. I run an EVGA 8800GTX, and I haven't tried updating the drivers yet. Also, I can't run dual displays with my Soyo 20" LCD as the slave monitor. When I try to, the Soyo just keeps turning on and off saying that it cannot find a signal. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

I'm seeing two of these puppies on EBay, one of them being the HP version.

Just at work, I've gotten the privilege of using a 2405 Dell LCD for a week, and it's really making me think about picking up one of the Sony ones. Going for 195 plus 200 shipping. If I can argue him down to around 100 for shipping, click goes the mouse.

I just bought the HP version of this monitor from someone locally this past weekend. I'm not sure if its brand new or just refurbished, because there isn't a blemish on it! Everything seems to be working ok, except I cannot set it to the maximum resolution. When I do, the screen looks more like the 4:3 size than a widescreen size. Any clues as to why this is? I currently have the resolution set to 1920x1200, which works great. I run an EVGA 8800GTX, and I haven't tried updating the drivers yet. Also, I can't run dual displays with my Soyo 20" LCD as the slave monitor. When I try to, the Soyo just keeps turning on and off saying that it cannot find a signal. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

If you're talking about 1920x1440 that would be because it IS a 4:3 resolution, if you mean some higher than 1920x1200 widescreen resolution then you just need to adjust the geometry and it will remember it for that resolution/refresh combo. Most resolutions will also look off unless you run at 85hz, for example on mine 1920x1200 at 60hz hangs way off the bottom unless i adjust it manually.

[edit]

what about using it as an HDTV for something with VGA out?

Back