24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

kemist1117 said:
Well depending on the cable you get it definitely is. The one i have has a connector on each individual wire and is a huge pain in the ass to get on correctly, and trust me i tried all kinds of crap to get them on all at once. Additionally, the wires had to be reversed for it to work correctly (either pcb or wires were labelled wrong, forget which). If you have a one piece connector that is configured properly it probably can be done relatively easily, but if its the individual wire thing i recommend taking the casing off. It only takes like 5 seconds to take it off if you know how (you need a long skinny phillips-head screw driver as well if memory serves).

Yea the wire I bought was fairly easy plug in without removing the monitor casing and the wiring order was already correct, I got it from here: http://geocities.com/emusicraft/intunit.html?200626 , I removed the "L" shaped piece from the top of the white connector to make it fit in easier.

Foe-hammer said:
Now for the most important steps to get rich, vibrant colors.

6) Go to the color temp option, and expert. Turn up the Red, Green, and Blue Color Gains all the way up to 100.

7) Now go to the Color Bias and turn up the Red to 55, the Green down to 43, and the Blue Color Bias turn it up to 74. This will give the best, rich, most vibrant picture possible.

Hey Foehammer, my settings look much better to me... the colors seem as perfect as it can be with the settings below:

R Bias: 50
G Bias: 65
B Bias: 70
R Gain: 100
G Gain: 100
B Gain: 100

Give it a try with Nokia Monitor Test and lemme know if you like it better. ;)

This moniter is no longer available at azatek.com,

where can I buy one besides ebay? Is ebay or fs/ft forums my only option?

Michigan PC said:
This moniter is no longer available at azatek.com,

where can I buy one besides ebay? Is ebay or fs/ft forums my only option?

If you're located in Michigan, check out this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-24-Trinitr...yZ116350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The lady that sells these is real nice. Pickup only in Macomb, MI (a bit north of Detroit). At $200 it's a great price even if you need to drive the distance - shipping costs on these are crazy.

Edit: looks like she's got the real Sonys now too for $229!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-24-Trinitr...yZ116350QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was wondering if anyone's had experience manually adjusting the internal FW900 pots/knobs/etc?

I took a few minutes in photoshop to try and show what I'm seeing inside the case. I didn't take the case completely off so the angles of the pictures are a bit steep.

All these adjustments seem to be related to convergence, I haven't been able to find much about them online. There's only one page in the service manual that mentions them, I included the labeled service manual diagrams on the bottom of the image.

I know WinDAS has convergence adjustments, but I was curious what types of picture issues the rough hardware adjustments might fix that WinDAS might not be able to fix.

Anyone know about this?

fw900ua2.jpg

Bo_Fox said:
Hey Foehammer, my settings look much better to me... the colors seem as perfect as it can be with the settings below:

R Bias: 50
G Bias: 65
B Bias: 70
R Gain: 100
G Gain: 100
B Gain: 100

Give it a try with Nokia Monitor Test and lemme know if you like it better. ;)
Not bad, but i like my picture a little 'warmer'; in the 6500K area. So i use more red and less green.

Plus, different fw900, and the HP version, monitors will have some variance in the variables. Just as long as you max out the color gains, and adjust the bias's to your liking.

Ahhh... cool, but have you checked out the greys in the "Brightness and Contrast" part in Nokia Monitor Test?

Notice how the greys are most neutral with this setting?

My bias is a little weird to what you guys have done though it's balanced out and my greys are completely neutral also it's been calibrated by the spyder. Joe I have the hp like you just a shame I can't send the icm and my dat file to you so you could comepare how are monitors are.

I'm currently waiting on my WinDAS cable but it is taking FOREVER to get here... I bought the one for $19 shipped on Ebay and unlike other things I have ordered from Canada, this seems to be taking forever.

Joe

Hatorade said:
My bias is a little weird to what you guys have done though it's balanced out and my greys are completely neutral also it's been calibrated by the spyder. Joe I have the hp like you just a shame I can't send the icm and my dat file to you so you could comepare how are monitors are.

What do you mean? Can you show me your BIAS settings?

MightyJoe said:
I'm currently waiting on my WinDAS cable but it is taking FOREVER to get here... I bought the one for $19 shipped on Ebay and unlike other things I have ordered from Canada, this seems to be taking forever.

Joe

Oh yeah, the USA mail customs just became more strict.. and might be causing delays with mail from other countries.. I dunno!

Bo_Fox said:
What do you mean? Can you show me your BIAS settings?

My greys are completely neutral now with the nokia monitor test after calibrating it via the spyder2express. Before with other settings I had that purplish tint with this I don't and my blacks look like they should.

Hatorade said:

My greys are completely neutral now with the nokia monitor test after calibrating it via the spyder2express. Before with other settings I had that purplish tint with this I don't and my blacks look like they should.

Uhhh... that'd be too much green if all of your Gains were at 100. Are all of the Gains at 100? Thanks

Bo_Fox said:
Uhhh... that'd be too much green if all of your Gains were at 100. Are all of the Gains at 100? Thanks

I've been looking over a lot of things that would play into how your color come out within the dat files. The problem is my red and blue are way stronger than the green if I were to make red even half as much as the green or blue it would start color casting into everything same with blue. I've taken shots of my screen with the current bias that some have seen and it looks fine that way.

The geometry in the bottom right corner of my FW900 is really off. It pulls way out to the right while all the other corners are fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Does it have something to do with magnets?

jim mcqueen said:
The geometry in the bottom right corner of my FW900 is really off. It pulls way out to the right while all the other corners are fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Does it have something to do with magnets?

Without using the magnets, I think you can try changing the Landing settings for the bottom right corner. It changes the color values for the lower right section, but it does affect the geometry significantly.

Hatorade said:
I've been looking over a lot of things that would play into how your color come out within the dat files. The problem is my red and blue are way stronger than the green if I were to make red even half as much as the green or blue it would start color casting into everything same with blue. I've taken shots of my screen with the current bias that some have seen and it looks fine that way.

Hmm, so you were saying that all of the Gains were set at 100?

Yeah but if you look at your monitor dat file a lot of things play into your color. Sure you gains can be equal same for your bias, but when I did it and made things equal Red >>>Blue>>>>>Green.I tried fixing this by changing other values related to colors and what not and ended up making the situation worse as I tried making every thing equal in terms. Eventually I just used a book of the model I keep up with gauge the colors on my screen. Once everything was in place or looked good I calibrated the monitor with the spyder so gamma was balanced right. I'd take a shot of the screen but the camera I have sucks with gauging purples and yellows so It's not really what I'm seeing at all.

So, any FW900/Xbox 360 owners have any experience w/ using 1080p after the new update? Has the image quality improved at all?

ThEMighTyTh0R said:
I have the new 360 update but for some reason it doesnt work for me. The picture is severely cut off on both sides of my FW900. It only seems to happen with sony monitors.. the samething happens with some Sony HDTVs. hmmm http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/1080p/rumor-something-fishy-with-360s-1080p-211414.php

Edit: seems to be happening to more then just sonys

1080P works fine on my FW900 , Did you try adjusting the screen size in the FW900's user menu? I tried Splinter Cell and Kameo,
I dont see any improvement in picture quality but then again there aren't any games that support true 1080p yet.

Here's a couple shots , My camera caused the dark bars & bright lines you see at the bottom of the screen:

FW900_360_1080p2.jpg

FW900_360_1080p.jpg

mathesar are u sure 1080p with the 360 is working fine on your fw900.

try using this overscan test screen from tigerdave.com

1920x1080_overscan2.png

this is how the same image looks from my 360 on my fw900 using 1080p

1920x1080_overscan.png

i lose about 54 pixels on the left and right sides. also there are two faint white lines and distortion on the left side on the screen and its only visible on 1920x1080, on other resolution its gone. also it should be noted that in the fw900 manual it says some video modes dont fill the screen to the edges

Mine works fine at 1080p. I do get the underscan that you are describing illmatic, it doesn't bother me though. The difference is not that noticeable, but its a little sharper and the colors look brighter. I thought the menus and dashboard would be in 1080p at the very least, but they are just upscaled. I also have the faint white ghost effect on the left edge of the screen. Also I adjusted my screen to fill the monitor, which eliminates the white bar.

Sorry, my camera sucks, but you get the idea of how the screen looks when adjusted to fill the moniter (16:10):
49a9xkn.jpg

4dyyi46.jpg

2rmp5at.jpg

it just cuts off part of the HUD in GRAW, but not enough to be noticeable:
4ccvuqx.jpg

Bo Fox, the problem is that it never displays those pixels no matter how much you adjust the horizontal.

Can't you just reduce the horizontal size using the monitor's display panel settings?

Bo_Fox said:
Can't you just reduce the horizontal size using the monitor's display panel settings?

Yes . I havent tested the 1080p pattern but im sure it can be adjusted to perfection without any overscan. Ill try it in a bit just to be sure.

EDIT: Looks like there is SOME overscan in 1080p even after adjusting the monitors size settings, but not much at all, I've always had more overscan on my CRT HDTV (regardless if its 480p/720p/1080i) and it never interfered with any games, I could adjust the overscan in my HDTV's service menu but haven't seen the need to.

But yes this should be fixed regardless , Im sure MS will respond with all the 1080p issues people are having.

FW900 @ 1080p:
fw900_360_overscan.JPG

Sony XBR960 @ 1080i (Component cables):
XBR960_Overscan_1080i.jpg

Yes this is a definite problem that cannot be fixed on the fw900. With my brother westinghouse 37" 1080p LCD he was having all the exact same problems as we are with our fw900's. Namely the image being cropped a 1/2" on the right and a full inch on the left, along with a white line that runs the entire horizontal distance on the far right side, and a 1/4" fuzzy distortions that runs horizontally all the way down on the far left. He had to switch his video mode from 'full' to 'regular' and everything was then fixed. So i went to messing with the fw900 and found that when i pressed the ASC button it would fix the cropping and the distortion for a sec then go back to being fubared. I then used winDAS to see what I could do. I could get the full image on the left or right without any image anomalies, but not both at the same time without cropping one and not the other side.

So it is definitely how our fw900’s handles 1080p incorrectly and not Microsoft’s fault here. Wouldn’t it be great if there were a 1920x1200 res for our monitors (fw900’s native res)? I don’t understand why they could not add resolutions like this easily to the 360. A 1920x1200 and 1600x1200 should be a ‘no brainer’ for supported resolutions.

I dont think its the FW900's fault , 1080p is just a resolution.. 1920x1080 Progressive, The FW900 displays this resolution fine on PC without any cropping (PC = Progressive output) ..So i'd have to say this a problem with the way 360 is outputting 1080p.

The majority of TV's come from the factory with 5% overscan anyhow (especially CRTs) and most games are made with this in mind.

If the image was just cropped it would not be all that bad, but the main problem is when it is cropped it leaves anomalies that run horizontally all the way down on both far sides. And with LCD HDTV's there is no overscan at all, but you are right with HDTV CRT's.

So you actually tried 1920x1080 from your PC on your fw900 and you were able to fit the entire image on screen without any cropping? Because the overscan test pattern by tigerdave.com for 1080p on the fw900 that you posted shows considerable overscan. And with pc monitor there should be no overscan because of the user controls. Cool if it is MS fault and not the fw900 being faulty, and now i can stop kicking my fw900. But i highly doubt those fugger as MS will do anything about it.

Foe-hammer said:
So you actually tried 1920x1080 from your PC on your fw900 and you were able to fit the entire image on screen without any cropping? Cool if that is the case, and now i can stop kicking my fw900.

I sure did , No overscan issues on PC.

mathesar said:
I sure did , No overscan issues on PC.
Cool. I wonder what they did to fubar 1080p on the 360, because every other available res works perfectly (no cropping or anomalies)? But the strange thing is it could be worked around on my brother 1080p LCD when he changed it from 'full' to 'standard'.

ive got a problem with my fw900 ... since a few days ago it doesnt power up properly anymore ... all it does is a blinking orange power led
any ideas as to what might cause this ?

Well, if the FW900 included official support for 1080i/p resolutions in the monitor's internal VESA database (or whatever it's called), then there shouldn't have been any problems with the cropping or perfect aspect ratio.

But, the FW900 was released before 1080i/p was a big thing.

Bo_Fox said:
Well, if the FW900 included official support for 1080i/p resolutions in the monitor's internal VESA database (or whatever it's called), then there shouldn't have been any problems with the cropping or perfect aspect ratio.

But, the FW900 was released before 1080i/p was a big thing.
But the fact is 1080p via a pc works perfect without cropping on the fw900, while the 360 does not.

That's because of the video card's drivers that can support 1080p, right? When connecting directly to an Xbox360, only the monitor's internal drivers (supported table of VESA resolutions, etc..) come into play.

Bo_Fox said:
That's because of the video card's drivers that can support 1080p, right? When connecting directly to an Xbox360, only the monitor's internal drivers (supported table of VESA resolutions, etc..) come into play.
True, but MS should have the right 1080p driver support for their video card in their console. I mean hell they only have to worry about support for one video card, unlike pc's that have to have support for many video cards.

Back