24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

How is this considered superior to the FW900? What am I missing here?

Who told you it was superior? The monitors are designed for totally different purposes. FW900 was designed for editing photo and video through a desktop PC. The BVM's are designed for television and movie editing in the studio. The BVM's might not even be mutisync.

And bigger monitors can totally have larger dot pitches, because they're bigger. That should be self-explanatory

I just assumed it was a superior image.

aye i get that bigger monitors can mean larger dot pitches, but even the BVM-A20F1M which is a 20 inch monitor has a 0.3 mm dot pitch.

So what makes these monitors so incredibly expensive?

They are what you call "reference" monitors. They have the most accurate color reproduction (very high contrast). Just like reference speakers give you accurate sound reproduction (high dynamic range).

I have a Sony PVM monitor, basically one step below BVM. They were used by surgeons and other professions that needed pretty accurate color. They cost between $3,000 and $5,000 ten years ago, but because they are SD and bulky, hospitals unloaded them for LCD's, and now you can get them for $50 or less. They are great for old-school gaming, and you can even use them to replace arcade monitors.

interesting, thanks for the reply. I wonder what it was about them that gave them the ability to produce higher contrast levels. Was it the type of phosphor used? Or did the guns produce a wider range of frequencies?

I imagine the phosphors are a big part of it, but I'm not sure of what all goes in to that equation.

If you're strictly interested in resolution, FW900 is the better monitor, as I'm pretty sure all the BVM's max out at 1080p or 1080i. But that's what SSAA is for.

I dont use Windows 7. I'm using Windows XP !

I know you use Xp so you should have the nec drivers installed. That's why I asked for the info since you should be able to see the correct info and I can enter it manually into windows 7.

I dont need the drivers installed. It's plug and play. See pic (screen shot of my monitor)

untitled.jpg

So... I got fed up with my FW900 not working at 100hz+ refresh rates with modern OSes and so I quit gaming altogether.

Now I'm hearing about LCDs with Lightboost that can replicate (maybe 90%) the smooth, lag-free response time/refresh rate of CRTs.

Have any of you tried these out and what's your verdict?

I'm thinking about giving this ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz a try.

epiik, what game are you playing? In quakelive, I use the console (or my config file for the game) to set my resolution and refresh rate.

Rob, you should be able to get higher refresh rates at lower resolutions with that monitor. If the drivers you currently have don't allow it, you'll have to force them by either using 3rd party software, or perhaps by unchecking "hide modes that the monitor cannot display" (in display properties under monitor). Also look in the adaptor tab, there may be some stuff there.

anyway, I found the drivers with a google search in about 5 seconds.

this is what I googled:

NEC FE2111SB drivers

I did uncheck "hide modes that the monitor cannot display" and the highest in 85 hz still.
I probably have to download the drivers for this monitor.
Right now, all it shows is Plug and Play monitor

untitled.jpg

Can someone send me a safe NEC Link to download the driver ?

try this - it's a general NEC crt monitor installer - according to the documentation, it supports your monitor.

http://www.necdisplay.com/documents/Softwares/InstallDrivers/NEC_CRT_Installer_061201.zip

documentation claiming support:

http://www.necdisplay.com/documents...ers/CRTReadMe.html#Supported Display Monitors

I'm assuming that this does it automatically, but if not, let us know if you need help installing the relevant inf file manually.

p.s. I think I found someone with a SENCORE CR7000 - gonna contact him again soon to discuss.

So I installed the driver and on the #2 monitor, it shows I can get higher refresh rates. but when I switch to the 2nd monitor, it keeps switching back to #1 monitor. :(
How can i keep the #2 monitor settings ?

untitled.jpg

i've no experience with dual displays, but I believe you need to install a separate driver for each display.

then why in the good name of holy iguana do you have your display properties set up for two monitors?

It's always been like this.
It shows 1, and 2, but I only have 1 monitor and #2 is disabled and cannot be enabled.
Should I drag the #2 box ontop of the #1 box ?
what will happen ?
try that and tell me what happens.

no idea man, you're gonna have to try and figure it out - maybe disable your onboard video (integrated gpu) if you have one...

and make sure nothing's plugged into second output on your asus vid card...

Finally, I adjusted it here: :)

untitled.jpg

Voila :)

untitled.jpg

I dont see any difference between 85 hz or 100hz. What do I gain ?

probably nothing - in fact, from what I understand, CRTs can look better at lower refresh rates (so long as you don't reach the visible flicker or discomfort threshold). Although I may be completely misremembering here.

When I play quakelive, however, I run at 120hz, since that is a fast paced first person shooter.

Also, have you confirmed that it's actually running @ 100hz by clicking the OSD button?

Last edited:
nice roberta, your post reminded me that I should get around to playing a nice single player game one of these days. I exclusively play quakelive, and I turn down the graphics for visibility. I've heard crysis and far cry and bioshock are good experiences, so would be nice to enjoy this monitor that way :)

nice roberta, your post reminded me that I should get around to playing a nice single player game one of these days. I exclusively play quakelive, and I turn down the graphics for visibility. I've heard crysis and far cry and bioshock are good experiences, so would be nice to enjoy this monitor that way :)

Tomb Raider is a blast if you would like to try something besides a FPS. It is basically a shooter but in 3rd person and you can use a bow as your primary weapon. Lots of chasm leaping and cliff hanging involved too!

Tomb Raider is a blast if you would like to try something besides a FPS. It is basically a shooter but in 3rd person and you can use a bow as your primary weapon. Lots of chasm leaping and cliff hanging involved too!

IMG_20130401_180027_zps36afa0ad.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back