24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

My FW900 have recently developed a red/purple tint.

I've been testing out various RGB gains and input new RGB values into Windas. I've also lowered the G2 a bit. But none of that really gets rid of the red tint.

It seems like if I put too much brightness into the unit, it develops a purple tint. It is still noticeable at lower brightness settings where I get deeper blacks, but the purple/red tint is still there (most evident on white background).

Color restoration does nothing. All that does is pull the brightness too far back so the entire monitor looks way too dim.

Am I due for a professional recalibration? Do you guys think it could be an issue with the tube or the flyback or some other component?

it can be that yer CRT is heavily magnetized, or that the CRT has a bad landing issue.

this is "may have" of course, its hard to determine these issues without seeing yer crt on the spot.

what uncle vito said about issue:

You may try a manual degausser which works much better than the internal degaussing coils of the unit. It may clear some, if not all the built magnetization, but it may not. This may turn out to be a very inexpensive fix. You can get a manual degausser at Radio Shack or on line. To use it, watch some videos on line.

If the CRT was hit or dropped, and the aperture grille, phosphor and/or damper wires compromised, then the CRT is worthless and nothing can be done to repair the damage

if a monitor gets a tint it usually is a phosphor (from the tube) problem, so it might be your tube is showing its first sign of age and its first sign of malfunctioning in the near future...

also, and this might be easy fix: if you use dvi to vga convertor (one of those metallic things you attack to dvi ports) check if its not loose. you can get a tint too if its loose.

it can be that yer CRT is heavily magnetized, or that the CRT has a bad landing issue.

this is "may have" of course, its hard to determine these issues without seeing yer crt on the spot.

You may try a manual degausser which works much better than the internal degaussing coils of the unit. It may clear some, if not all the built magnetization, but it may not. This may turn out to be a very inexpensive fix. You can get a manual degausser at Radio Shack or on line. To use it, watch some videos on line.

If the CRT was hit or dropped, and the aperture grille, phosphor and/or damper wires compromised, then the CRT is worthless and nothing can be done to repair the damage

if a monitor gets a tint it usually is a phosphor (from the tube) problem, so it might be your tube is showing its first sign of age and its first sign of malfunctioning in the near future...

also, and this might be easy fix: if you use dvi to vga convertor (one of those metallic things you attack to dvi ports) check if its not loose. you can get a tint too if its loose.

Thanks for the tip. I might just perhaps get a tech to service it, calibrate it back to its best image quality, clean up the inside and all that.

I've been trying to get very bright vivid colors, and deep black levels without losing out on image details. But now it seems that the FW900s are simply not capable of doing all that.

Would it be possible to have a FW900 be totally black on a fullscreen blank screen saver, so black that it almost looks like the unit has been turned off, yet when watching a movie or playing a game, not lose out on the tiny details of the picture (or without it looking too dim)? I don't think it's even possible, after all the tweaking with brightness and G2 I've tried (though it's possible I'm just doing a piss-poor amateur job).

yes, quite possible.

Achieving true black levels is one of the advantages of CRT technology..

But mind you, it will look *black*. If you are used to LCD technology, it may appear at first that its "too" black. It takes a while to get used to.

But i'll give this example. Imagine crawling trough dark corridor in doom 3 or so. Would you rather have the blacks washed out and almost .."giving off light" like in LCD.. or true black, so that you actually see all the different kind of black levels in an overall dark black image output? CRT can achieve the latter.

But adjusting the monitor options for true black levels isn't easy. I refer to my guide, maybe read up on it (link on first post).

Having a unit refurbished is never bad idea.

However, if the red tint you described is caused by phosphor aging inside the tube, there isn't much you can do then.

Just ask the tech guy, and let a calibration be done by someone that knows how to.. If you set certain values too high, you can damage the monitor etc.

P.S. Get someone that knows how to refurbish CRT to tamper with yer monitor, not just anyone.. You have to know what you do to refurbish a CRT.

Where do you find people who can do this? I might want to look into it for mine, if I can't sell it.

Hello, I would be eternally gratefully if someone is able to help me or point me in the right direction giving my limited knowledge in this field.
My fw900 starts with no red lately, it kicks in after some minutes accompanied by bright flashes.
I've opened it up and checked the boards, especially the a board (video amp rgb) and the crt socket for dry solders but it seems ok.
The 3 electron guns are glowing too right from the start. Should I look for some bad caps in particular? or is the tube shot?
Thank you

look for shops selling second hand CRT. i found mine looking for online web shops selling crt. just google it i guess..

Or look up someone from the old sony repair centers.

There must be someone within 50 miles able to do it if you live in big town hehe..

Don't forget these monitor where in EVERY office and home ten years ago.
This tech might be old, but the folks who did repairs are still around.

And most are proud to work on an fw900..

to xonovar:

give lagrunauer a PM.

he is the guy in here selling and refurbishing and repairing CRT.

If he can't advise, noone can.

vito recommends removing it for better image quality so thats why i wanted mine removed

We have done extensive calibration test runs on units with the AG on and units with the AG removed, and based on the results, the units with the AG off had much better Delta E's, brightness, contrast, color rendition and color accuracy vs. the units with the AG on. Unless is absolutely necessary for the user to have the antiglare on, professional gamers, color correction professionals and anyone working with color adjustments should strongly consider removing the AG from their units.

The issue with the AG is that a glue is used to adhere the film to the tube, and the glue is the culprit.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

My FW900 have recently developed a red/purple tint.

I've been testing out various RGB gains and input new RGB values into Windas. I've also lowered the G2 a bit. But none of that really gets rid of the red tint.

It seems like if I put too much brightness into the unit, it develops a purple tint. It is still noticeable at lower brightness settings where I get deeper blacks, but the purple/red tint is still there (most evident on white background).

Color restoration does nothing. All that does is pull the brightness too far back so the entire monitor looks way too dim.

Am I due for a professional recalibration? Do you guys think it could be an issue with the tube or the flyback or some other component?

You would need to test the gun(s) for integrity and the tube for emission. If the testing checks out OK, then the CRT needs to have professional factory calibration and adjustment including the white point balance, G2, luminance and all the reference points.

If the gun(s) are bad, and/or the emission is low, then the tune is done is it must de discarded.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

I NEVER SAID THIS..... "if a monitor gets a tint it usually is a phosphor (from the tube) problem, so it might be your tube is showing its first sign of age and its first sign of malfunctioning in the near future...

also, and this might be easy fix: if you use dvi to vga convertor (one of those metallic things you attack to dvi ports) check if its not loose. you can get a tint too if its loose."

Usually when a monitor gets a tint/color cast such as too green/blue/red/yellow/magenta, it is usually a bad gun(s) or it may need professional Sony factory calibration. Also, check the VGA cables and make sure that all the pins are straight and not bended. Test the cable first, then rule out a bad cable before you start troubleshooting the tube...

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Hello, I would be eternally gratefully if someone is able to help me or point me in the right direction giving my limited knowledge in this field.
My fw900 starts with no red lately, it kicks in after some minutes accompanied by bright flashes.
I've opened it up and checked the boards, especially the a board (video amp rgb) and the crt socket for dry solders but it seems ok.
The 3 electron guns are glowing too right from the start. Should I look for some bad caps in particular? or is the tube shot?
Thank you

It may be a bad color transistor (there are three -RGB- on the GDM-FW900), bad VGA cable, or a bad gun(s). You need to have someone perform a transistor check and a tube integrity test and few repair houses do this now days. A Sencore TF Super Cricket series transistor tester, and either a Sencore CR70 or a CR7000 are needed to perform these tests.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

i put your quote in italic lagrunauer.. the rest after the text in italic wasn't your quote rly.. sorry if it looked that way.. :(

thx for your continuous support to the people having problems with their CRT.

I will stop commenting on the tech stuff from now on and leave it for you

+1 uncle vito :)

Last edited:
Thanks Vito for his great advice. Anyone who actually lives near him should consider buying a FW900 from him or perhaps getting your existing FW900 serviced by someone as knowledgeable as Vito.

I can't believe this thread actually has over 2 million views and 9000 posts... the FW900 has truly stood the test of time!

Hey Vito, you wouldn't happen to be in south PA, or MD, would you? If so, I might ask you to service my FW900, sometime. If you still do that, how much would it cost to have you calibrate it, and evaluate the condition of the tube/flyback/etc?

Hi everyone. Haven't posted in a long while, but one of my FW900s has started, infrequently, to show some very quick, momentary thin line tearing (horizontally) across the screen. When it does this I also hear a very small "pop" or "snap". What might this be?

well i got a response for the repair shop

the monitor is completely gone they offered to recycle it the picture tube is damaged non repairable

vito has agreed to send me a new one if i pay the shipping so hopefully i can afford it i don't know what happened with the monitor it must have been damaged somehow in the shipping

more problems i can't handle i was looking forward to getting my brand new fw900 fixed and even looking at cables for it now i find out it's complete junk that they offered to recycle

my dad is really angry about that i have to pay shipping for this but i guess these things happen i am tryint to be as calm as i can with this hopefully shipping won't be over 1000 i already paid 5000 for this monitor

i am waiting for an email from vito about how much this will cost and hopefully in the end i will have a perfect fw900 that i am happy with

maybe it is cheaper to have a brand new tube sent instead

it was most likely dropped or misshandled in the shipping according to vito

i won't say what i think about this as i don't want any more negativity on it i just hope it won't cost too much maybe bubblewrap can be used this time as then it might not be as sensitive to drops maybe styrofoam is as strong i don't know

i am litterally crying right now a complete nightmare it wouldn't suprise me if shipping is about 1000$ i had a brand new fw900 sent to me and this happens it was BRAND NEW!

i can't breeth

i guess i need a pause from all of this worrying then worry about it in a few days as i am close to going over the edge of what i can handle

Last edited:
sad to hear that, zzcool.

didn't you have insurance with the freight company that handles it?

I'd insure the thing for 1000 dollar with the freight company.. maybe then they'll handle it more gently. But i don't know how it works for international freight.

I'd think again if its all worth it though. Shipping such a CRT across half the globe is very, very risky :(

well i got a response for the repair shop

the monitor is completely gone they offered to recycle it the picture tube is damaged non repairable

vito has agreed to send me a new one if i pay the shipping so hopefully i can afford it i don't know what happened with the monitor it must have been damaged somehow in the shipping

more problems i can't handle i was looking forward to getting my brand new fw900 fixed and even looking at cables for it now i find out it's complete junk that they offered to recycle

my dad is really angry about that i have to pay shipping for this but i guess these things happen i am tryint to be as calm as i can with this hopefully shipping won't be over 1000 i already paid 5000 for this monitor

i am waiting for an email from vito about how much this will cost and hopefully in the end i will have a perfect fw900 that i am happy with

maybe it is cheaper to have a brand new tube sent instead

it was most likely dropped or misshandled in the shipping according to vito

i won't say what i think about this as i don't want any more negativity on it i just hope it won't cost too much maybe bubblewrap can be used this time as then it might not be as sensitive to drops maybe styrofoam is as strong i don't know

i am litterally crying right now a complete nightmare it wouldn't suprise me if shipping is about 1000$ i had a brand new fw900 sent to me and this happens it was BRAND NEW!

i can't breeth

i guess i need a pause from all of this worrying then worry about it in a few days as i am close to going over the edge of what i can handle

I am very angry at what happened to Jonathan and the very rare GDM-FW900. The damaged described by everyone who saw the unit is consistent with an impact to the unit, possible caused by the box being dropped on the floor and/or the box being grossly mishandled. The irony of all this ordeal, is that I shipped a GDM-FW900 to Netherlands at the same time I sent the unit to Jonathan in Sweden, and that unit was received without any damages.

I feel bad for what happened to Jonathan, and in good faith, I offered to send him a replacement for free. As mutually agreed, shipping and duty will be his only responsibilities. I told him, I am not obligated to do that, but Jonathan has been in contact with me for the past two years about getting one of our units, and since the initial contact he saved the funds to have one shipped, and when it finally happened, this misfortune struck. I am compelled to do that for him.

Lastly, I clearly stated that if this time around the carrier and/or local customs mishandle and/or damage the unit, then he must take the issue further with these folks.

I feel I have gone the extreme to make a customer happy, ever though I am neither liable nor obligated to do that.

I hope this puts an end to this unfortunate incident.

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

sad to hear that, zzcool.

didn't you have insurance with the freight company that handles it?

I'd insure the thing for 1000 dollar with the freight company.. maybe then they'll handle it more gently. But i don't know how it works for international freight.

I'd think again if its all worth it though. Shipping such a CRT across half the globe is very, very risky :(

Jonathan took way too long to notify the carrier about the issue. If there are issues with packages such as damage, missing contents, and/or functional issues related to mishandling, the customer must notify the carrier immediately, otherwise the claim will not be honored.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Thanks Vito for his great advice. Anyone who actually lives near him should consider buying a FW900 from him or perhaps getting your existing FW900 serviced by someone as knowledgeable as Vito.

I can't believe this thread actually has over 2 million views and 9000 posts... the FW900 has truly stood the test of time!

My pleasure!!!

Hey Vito, you wouldn't happen to be in south PA, or MD, would you? If so, I might ask you to service my FW900, sometime. If you still do that, how much would it cost to have you calibrate it, and evaluate the condition of the tube/flyback/etc?

Not anytime soon but you may ship the unit back to us for service.

Most flatscreen monitors and most tech these days is made only to last 2 years or so. Ok, that might be bit cynical, but still.
And where's the bad in that? A monitor is not an investment anymore. In 2 years, just buy the newest fad for low cash.

I been using this fw900 for 6 years now, i also did the anti glare off, and nothing surpasses it rly.
What's the power consumption on that thing? I bet not running it for 6 years and buying a power-saving TFT instead would have actually earned you cash.

When a good monitor was $2k+, it would have sucked if it lasted only 2 years. But now? Just buy a new one for $150, it may actually save energy compared to the last.

And where's the bad in that? A monitor is not an investment anymore. In 2 years, just buy the newest fad for low cash.

What's the power consumption on that thing? I bet not running it for 6 years and buying a power-saving TFT instead would have actually earned you cash.

When a good monitor was $2k+, it would have sucked if it lasted only 2 years. But now? Just buy a new one for $150, it may actually save energy compared to the last.

This monitor was ,investment, and still is. For what it costed me back then, i spent 30 dollar a year on monitor the last 6 years.. And sorry to say but this CRT image quality is better then 99,5% of all flatscreens on the market. Even the new 2560x1440 IPS panel with overclockable power brick for achieving 120hz is not better per se.

Granted, this CRT consumes 150W. More then flatscreens.. But not so much more as to make energy saving flatscreen actually be big bargain.

Also, you cannot play old games in low resolutions decently on flatscreens..

Only real issue i have with my fw900 is the radiation.. It can be tiresome on the eyes after few hours.

anyways, this thread is about people who love CRT and the FW900 in particular.

If you want to look down upon us, thats fine.. But please don't rant like we are idiots without actually ever having compared yer flatscreen to this CRT.

Jonathan took way too long to notify the carrier about the issue. If there are issues with packages such as damage, missing contents, and/or functional issues related to mishandling, the customer must notify the carrier immediately, otherwise the claim will not be honored.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

i was very positive that the monitor would get repaired and i had no proof swhat so ever it got damaged in the shipping it was just something i thought

i actually did at first think it may have been my electriocity that did something after i was told about it but my dad said no

and the repair shop also stated clearly it had nothing to do with it

this is a complete mess that i really don't know what to do about i was supposed to be happy about this and it was the complete opposite

i am out of words what to do right now other then being forced to pay about 1300$ to get another one shipped to me i really have no choice and it makes me sad just thinking about it

i wonder if it's cheaper just sending the picture tube to me might weight less to get my new one repaired with a new picture tube

all of this means i paid 6350$ for a fw900

on the bright side i managed to get the glue off my other fw900 after 2 years of it standing i finally managed to get it off using a rusty scraper and some strong liquid i was told glass wouldn't get scratched and as far as i know i can't see any scratches from it

atleast one good thing

nows the scary part of trying to turn it on after blowing out dust with canned air and cleaning it from the inside

Last edited:
i was very positive that the monitor would get repaired and i had no proof swhat so ever it got damaged in the shipping it was just something i thought

i actually did at first think it may have been my electriocity that did something after i was told about it but my dad said no

this is a complete mess that i really don't know what to do about i was supposed to be happy about this and it was the complete opposite

i am out of words what to do right now other then being forced to pay about 1300$ to get another one shipped to me i really have no choice and it makes me sad just thinking about it

i wonder if it's cheaper just sending the picture tube to me might weight less to get my new one repaired with a new picture tube

on the bright side i managed to get the glue off my other fw900 after 2 years of it standing i finally managed to get it off using a rusty scraper and some strong liquid i was told glass wouldn't get scratched and as far as i know i can't see any scratches from it

atleast one good thing

nows the scary part of trying to turn it on after blowing out dust with canned air and cleaning it from the inside

Like I mentioned to you, I could have a tube packed and shipped to you but I guaranteed you that it will arrive destroyed and you will be back to square one. Let's say it arrives in one piece.... Installing and setting up a CRT on these monitors is not an easy task, and whoever will do the job for you must have previous experience in doing that type of work. The risk involving in setting up the CRT of the GDM-FW900 incorrectly are shorts on the grids, specially H-K which is irreversible rendering the tube useless. What will happen is that the shop will blame the tube being defective, and you will be back to square one again.

It will be your call... If you insist on getting just the tube, let me know...

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Like I mentioned to you, I could have a tube packed and shipped to you but I guaranteed you that it will arrive destroyed and you will be back to square one. Let's say it arrives in one piece.... Installing and setting up a CRT on these monitors is not an easy task, and whoever will do the job for you must have previous experience in doing that type of work. The risk involving in setting up the CRT of the GDM-FW900 incorrectly are shorts on the grids, specially H-K which is irreversible rendering the tube useless. What will happen is that the shop will blame the tube being defective, and you will be back to square one again.

It will be your call... If you insist on getting just the tube, let me know...

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

i made this reply before you told me all of this i now know it's a bad idea i am still waiting for how much it will cost to send another fw900

atleast one good thing

"all of this means i paid 6350$ for a fw900"...

I NEVER CHARGED YOU $6,300.00 FOR A GDM-FW900! For the record, 80% of the fees you paid were duty, tariffs and the shipping to Sweden, and I have the actual bill with these charges from the carrier (you were sent one as well) and their custom broker.

Please stop defaming my character here in this forum when all I am trying to do is to help you even though I am not obligated to do so and it was not my fault that the carrier destroyed your unit.

Unkle Vito!

"all of this means i paid 6350$ for a fw900"...

I NEVER CHARGED YOU $6,300.00 FOR A GDM-FW900! For the record, 80% of the fees you paid were duty, tariffs and the shipping to Sweden, and I have the actual bill with these charges from the carrier (you were sent one as well) and their custom broker.

Please stop defaming my character here in this forum when all I am trying to do is to help you even though I am not obligated to do so and it was not my fault that the carrier destroyed your unit.

Unkle Vito!

sorry i never meant the monitor cost that much

i meant everything which is conbined with the shipping

and i am not trying to say anything bad i am just very scared

i am trying to let people know so they won't go through the same personall h as i did

i did NOT mean the cost for just the monitor i am conbining it all

and i can't handle a reply like this as i am already on the edge i never mean to say anything negative i do NOT know what to do right now i don't and i am sorry if what i say seems bad towards you

if you want i can stop making replies here all together i just wanted some help and support from people as i can't handle this alone

Last edited:
It may be a bad color transistor (there are three -RGB- on the GDM-FW900), bad VGA cable, or a bad gun(s). You need to have someone perform a transistor check and a tube integrity test and few repair houses do this now days. A Sencore TF Super Cricket series transistor tester, and either a Sencore CR70 or a CR7000 are needed to perform these tests.

Hope this helps..

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Thank you for your reply! , unfortunately after its last shutdown, the monitor appears to be completely dead :eek: (no lights, no sounds)
I've brought it down to a local repair shop here in italy to let them check it out. (fingers crossed!)

sorry i never meant the monitor cost that much

i meant everything which is conbined with the shipping

and i am not trying to say anything bad i am just very scared

i am trying to let people know so they won't go through the same personall h as i did

i did NOT mean the cost for just the monitor i am conbining it all

and i can't handle a reply like this as i am already on the edge i never mean to say anything negative i do NOT know what to do right now i don't and i am sorry if what i say seems bad towards you

if you want i can stop making replies here all together i just wanted some help and support from people as i can't handle this alone

I TOLD YOU A MILLION TIMES THAT I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU ONE MONITOR FOR FREE! PLEASE STOP DEFAMING MY CHARACTER AND RUINING MY REPUTATION HERE IS THIS FORUM!

YOU ARE MAKING ME LOOK LIKE I AM THE "BAD GUY", WHEN IN REALITY IT WAS NOT MY FAULT THAT THE CARRIER DESTROYED YOUR MONITOR, AND ALL I AM TRYING TO DO NOW IS TO HELP YOU....

THANK YOU...

Unkle Vito!

Relax Vito, Your character is solid. ZZcool is obviously behind a language barrier so he isn't quite as good with his words as needed. I think ZZ you should voice any concerns with Vito via PM and leave this place for other peoples problems/joys too.

Good God this is still going on! Unkle Vito is solid and its garbage like this that fuck it up for everyone else and make it harder for the rest of us to get a FW900 from vito because he moves one more step closer to saying fuck it no shipping anymore :mad:

My monitor was fine before I started messing with it but everytime I run the white balance in windas the darkness is all messed up, I either get an image that is too bright or an image that is too dark and has a green tint to everything unless I put the brightness at 100% could anyone tell me what im doing wrong? Also as a second question I cannot get the vertical convergence to align, I can only get two of the colors to match up perfectly at a time but never all three, If I get two of them to line up I end up with either blue or red on top

Hi everyone. Haven't posted in a long while, but one of my FW900s has started, infrequently, to show some very quick, momentary thin line tearing (horizontally) across the screen. When it does this I also hear a very small "pop" or "snap". What might this be?

Could still use a bit of help on this. Today when I turned the display on, it started that quick thin tearing and popping sound. After about 10 minutes I got one big "snap", the screen blacked out for just a fraction of a second and then came back... apparently fine. No visible tearing now.

BTW, this is on a static screen. No motion or gaming.

I suspected, but wasn't sure. Should have bought a spare flyback when I considered it a number of years ago. Wonder how long I have before things get worse. Right now it seems to occur maybe once every week or so.

Could still use a bit of help on this. Today when I turned the display on, it started that quick thin tearing and popping sound. After about 10 minutes I got one big "snap", the screen blacked out for just a fraction of a second and then came back... apparently fine. No visible tearing now.

BTW, this is on a static screen. No motion or gaming.

This issue may be caused by a faulty FBT or a short in the tube, or both. If the tube has a short (H-K), it is not fixable and it has to be discarded. The only way to test the CRT is with a Sencore CR-70 pr a CR-7000 tube tester. The FBT can be tested with a Sencore CM2000 or the CM2125, or a FBT ringer.

Hope this helps...

Unkle Vito!

My monitor was fine before I started messing with it but everytime I run the white balance in windas the darkness is all messed up, I either get an image that is too bright or an image that is too dark and has a green tint to everything unless I put the brightness at 100% could anyone tell me what im doing wrong? Also as a second question I cannot get the vertical convergence to align, I can only get two of the colors to match up perfectly at a time but never all three, If I get two of them to line up I end up with either blue or red on top

Can you describe exactly how are you performing the white point balance in WinDAS? Which equipment are you using including the digital pattern generator and spectrophotometer?

If anyone needs FW900 parts, I have a non working unit with 2 working flybacks.

Located in Toronto Canada

Back