24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

I ordered one and I already have a G500. I watch movies on my computer a lot though so native widescreen is a very good thing for me.

Error Macro said:
Well, I'm not sure how long it will take to get from Massachusetts to California, but my monitor shipped yesterday. Yay. Now I just need to relax and tell myself it's going to be all scratched up, so if it arrives messed up, I won't be so disappointed. And if it looks good (like Mathesar's) then I'll be pleasantly surprised. Such is the mantra of the eternal pessimist.

I live in CA. and it took DHL about a week to get it here, you should have a tracking # and it'l show the estimated delivery date there. mine arrived on the date specified.

when i ordered mine it said it was going to arrive monday. I ahd ordered and paid for it on thursday. The thing that sucked was the shipper put in the wrong Zip. so it went from new hampshere to Ohio. I live in NY =\ Needless to say that added another week to the shipping...
Then to make matters worse i was waiting for the package on the arrival date and i was curious so i checked the DHL site. it said the driver tried to deliver it. That was a bunch of BS since he never rang my bell and he never even left a note saying he arrived. i called there local center and picked it up... that sucked in it's own right as i had to take it out of the box since it wouldn't fit in my car (M45). Aside from DHL sucking the big one with shipping large items... they were pretty quick with the ground deliveries as i believe they still move there items iver the weekends..

Yeah, they don't update their online "tracking" very often and it didn't arrive today like it was supposed to. Good thing I'm a suspence junky.

This forum was the final straw, I just had to get it. As far as I can see, this is the ONLY widescreen crt monitor out there. Am I wrong?

I think I'm going to be the next to bite.

Too bad they only have the HP badged ones left, I'd have rather had the sexier sony.

those are only shipping to america.
that sucks. Theres even a bran spaken new one but only america
guess not that used one is canada too.. funny how they write everywhere else its american only

Think I would have any trouble hooking this monitor up to a 15" powerbook via BNC? Would i need any drivers (if they even exist for mac) for the display to go to BNC? I am thinking about buying that DVI to BNC cable from pacific cable to connect my PB to the monitor when I am at home while leaving my main PC hooked up to the DB-15 connector.

Hmm.... just stick with VGA to BNC. Or at least that's what i would do. I think 1920*1200 at 60Hz is nearing the max bandwidth unless you have Dual Link DVI. VGA may be analog but so is the display. Maybe I got my terms wrong. Guess I'd wait for another response.

if u got a vga + dvi input, and u use an adaptor to turn the dvi socket in ur vid card to vga can u see any performance in using 2 pipes?

:eek: Oh man I hope I'm just missing a step here, but I'm 95% sure the HP version I got today is broken. It just flashes orange, like it's in power saver mode. If I turn it off then on it lights green for a sec, then back to flashy orange. Needless to say this sucks the big one.

Going back and forth between my old viewsonic to fiddle with resolutions and frequencies nothing works. I get absolutely NO image on the screen. I installed the sony driver for XP, turned it off/on ten times... nothing. I'm in a nightmare here folks. I've been gawking over this monitor for over a year now, finally found a reliable source, took a chance and now this.

ANYbody have a suggestion for a desperate man??

Did you disconnect the cable and turn it on while not hooked up to anything? It should put up a message about not having a signal, with a few options.. See if that comes up at least.. If not, maybe DHL played Kick the Monitor with it.

is it better getting a refurbished one or not?
To me i think its btter if its refurbished becusae it is an old monitor and well at least it passed all sonys qualifications.

UrielDagda said:
Did you disconnect the cable and turn it on while not hooked up to anything? It should put up a message about not having a signal, with a few options.. See if that comes up at least.. If not, maybe DHL played Kick the Monitor with it.

Good suggestion. I just tried that - no go. It's DOA. Well it had to happen to someone right?

I am sooo tempted to order one today. However my apartment is on the 3rd floor so that has me a little nervous. :D

Genocidal[v2] said:
I am sooo tempted to order one today. However my apartment is on the 3rd floor so that has me a little nervous. :D

No pain, no gain :cool:

Having a reasonably strong friend to help is necessary if you don't have something like an elevator. If you order it the box will probably weigh 120 - 130 pounds and is very unwieldy.

I had to carry mine alone and let me tell you...my hernias got hernias.

You have to take it out of the box to carry it yourself, and I do lift. Not everyone could pull it off. One flight of staitrs for me. I sure as hell would have had to take a break for 3 flights, and my forearms were sore the next day! The weight is half the problem really, it's just cumbersome. Holding it awkward, oops, little sore. Oh well, when you lift for awhile, you never get sore anymore unless you have a really tough day. So heh... I was happy. :p

Two people is a piece of cake out of the box, it's still freaking cumbersome for two in the box but doable. I suggest, grab a friend, take it out of the box, piece of cake.

Hope this doesn't read wrong. I'm not huge or trying to brag or something, just want to put it into context. It's doable but you end up holding a lot of it with your forearms. Anyone can move it, but a litle beef is necessary to carry it up the stairs, craddling it like a 92 lbs baby. :p

I_Like_Em_Wide said:
Good suggestion. I just tried that - no go. It's DOA. Well it had to happen to someone right?

I would say give them a call.. It was probably damaged in shipping, which is bound to happen once in a while.. Although from what I hear DHL doesn't have the best track record, but are probably one of the few that will deliver something that heavy.

texuspete00: said:
You have to take it out of the box to carry it yourself, and I do lift. Not everyone could pull it off. One flight of staitrs for me. I sure as hell would have had to take a break for 3 flights, and my forearms were sore the next day! The weight is half the problem really, it's just cumbersome. Holding it awkward, oops, little sore. Oh well, when you lift for awhile, you never get sore anymore unless you have a really tough day. So heh... I was happy. :p
I lift also, and it wasn't easy when I had to take my monitor out of the house to drive it to a friend's place for its new home a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately, I had help. It's not so much the weight as you say, it's a very large monitor and you must be extra careful you get your arms securely around it, otherwise, one wrong step and...

UrielDagda said:
Although from what I hear DHL doesn't have the best track record, but are probably one of the few that will deliver something that heavy.
You mean other than UPS and Fedex? :confused:

My monitor is now three business days overdue. A very nice lady at DHL has called each morning to let me know that there's still no sign of it. She said that if it doesn't appear this morning, she'll run a full trace on it and find out where the heck it is. DHL's tracking page is next to useless. It has two entries: "Picked up", and "Departing Origin". . . it's been "departing origin" for about eight days now. :)

Hurin said:
You mean other than UPS and Fedex? :confused:

My monitor is now three business days overdue. A very nice lady at DHL has called each morning to let me know that there's still no sign of it. She said that if it doesn't appear this morning, she'll run a full trace on it and find out where the heck it is. DHL's tracking page is next to useless. It has two entries: "Picked up", and "Departing Origin". . . it's been "departing origin" for about eight days now. :)

I've recieved a tracking page, but from fedex, not DHL, or whatever. Hopefully they're better, but I'd have no clue; just as long as it arrives safely I'm a happy camper.

Probably refering to the other HP that needed degausing, or something of the sorts. Did that guy ever get a replacement? Crap, did he have to pay for shipping? Better not have, you order something that is promised to work and if it don't I say that's between the seller and DHL.

Ordered a sony badged one last night, should get it early next week. Until then i'll be hitting the gym in preperation of carrying it up the stairs. :D

I had to pick mine up from the DHL center because the noob driver was too lazy to even try to deliver it. I had to park my car and lug that beast for 1 1/2 city blocks (brooklyn, ny) i then had to lug ghre damn thing 2 flights because the old building i am in has really small doorways for the elevator and because of the size and shape i could not wedge it throught the door... After all of that my forearms were so tight i could barely close my fists without feeling like my forearms would pop... and i haven't lifted in over 10 years..

Mine is now 4 days overdue here on the west coast. DHL still has it as "departing origin" on their website with no updates. I'm expecting my daily call from DHL any moment to inform me that it is still floating around out there on the US highway system. . . somewhere. They can't track it since it's a ground shipment. But she said that she's "escalated" the case so the depot people along the route will be on the lookout for a large 100lb box whose shipping label may have fallen off. . . etc.

H

I got mine , HP model and it works killer. I have it set to 1280 x 800 same as my laptop, is that a good setting?? I dont know much about HDTV and all that stuff.

I'm trying to play Riddick right now I have it set to 1280 x 800 looks awsome, but in the video options it has a setting called " Pixel Aspect " here is what I can choose from.

4:3 -> 5: 4
4:3 -> 16: 9
4:3 -> 2 .35
5:4 - > 4:3
5:4 -> 16:9
5.4 -> 2.35
16:9 -> 4:3
16:9 -> 5:4
16:9 -> 2.35
Normal <---------- This is what I got it set to.

What does this setting do and what is the best one for this monitor?

Anyways I have I few Pics of this game running at 1920 x 1080 ( game can also do 1600x1024,1600x1200,1920x1200 is highest setting) my video card (BFG 6800 OC 128 meg) can run at this this res but get slowdowns. This game looks so good in 1920 x 1080 you really gotta play and see for yourself how good it looks man just awsome.

DSC00025.jpg

This is the in-game graphics too. Just awsome .

^^^ Dude, your HP model rocks! I'm still waiting for my sony, but that picture has me pumped... I can't wait for this thing.

V3|!UM said:
I had to pick mine up from the DHL center because the noob driver was too lazy to even try to deliver it. I had to park my car and lug that beast for 1 1/2 city blocks (brooklyn, ny) i then had to lug ghre damn thing 2 flights because the old building i am in has really small doorways for the elevator and because of the size and shape i could not wedge it throught the door... After all of that my forearms were so tight i could barely close my fists without feeling like my forearms would pop... and i haven't lifted in over 10 years..

Lol, that's awesome! Sorry, but I just thought that was too funny. And how's it working?

Blah, DHL's tracking page has been working fine for me, and the past couple of days it has shown today as the estimated delivery date. It got scanned in to City Of Industry's distribution station this morning, so I expected I would get it today... Nothing so far, so I figure it'll hopefully be here tomorrow.

Error Macro said:
Blah, DHL's tracking page has been working fine for me, and the past couple of days it has shown today as the estimated delivery date. It got scanned in to City Of Industry's distribution station this morning, so I expected I would get it today... Nothing so far, so I figure it'll hopefully be here tomorrow.
Dude, help a brother out! What was your ship date? Did you get regular updates on the page as it made its way across the country? I just spoke with DHL (again, she called me which was nice) and even she said that she was getting concerned and that, having been delayed this long, it's actually getting unlikely that it would just show up now out of the blue.

Mine shipped on the 7th. And I'm on the Central Coast of CA. So if you had a similar ship date, I might be able to relax a bit based on your experience.

Back