2005FPW roll call

I definietly noticed the noise when playing a DVD. I could see it up close but far away it looked amazing, I was watching Finding Nemo. I noticed some of the black areas were not complety black but didn't notice the backlight until my screen saver came on. I'm not sure how bad it is but I'll find out. Gonna try some gaming and see if I notice it.

Ok, backlight is definetly there. Most noticably at the top of the monitor. I have a single stuck pixel in the middle left portion of my screen.

Ok, you guys are starting to scare me. I just placed my order last night, and all I keep hearing is about this back light issue? When you guys return the monitor does your replacement have this issue fixed?

I have dual 2001FPs, both had backlighting issues when I took them out of the box. I fixed both of them myself by displaying a blank screen screen saver, which made the bad areas visble, and pressing all over the screen, very firmly, with my fingers. After about 5-10 minutes I had evened out the backlight leakage so it was no longer very noticable at all. I probably reduced it by 70 to 80%. I just double checked and over time the pressure has evened out. I can safely say that my monitors now have a very uniform backlighting.

Sc0ttFern said:
Ok, you guys are starting to scare me. I just placed my order last night, and all I keep hearing is about this back light issue? When you guys return the monitor does your replacement have this issue fixed?

i was worried about it too and mine has it. it really isnt noticeable at all unless your viewing something that is prefectly black and takes up most or all of the screen. its fine for gaming; i played CSS for half an hour today and it was very enjoyable at 1280x768 res. the motion blur was not an issue for me, nor was the uneven backlighting. i *might* try the one member's idea of pressing on the screen to see if that evens it out but im not sure. basically, dont let the uneven backlighting scare you. unless you are a graphics pro that does photo or video editing, the screen will be fine and the uneven nature of the backlighting will be an annoyance only when viewing dark screens; and if you let it annoy you of course. the screen costs $600 and it performs very well for its size/cost. it does not cost $2000 and i dont expect it to perform like one. having said that the backlighting issue is a manufacture flaw however only if it is EXTREMELY annoying/severe for you should you have to return it. if you are a common pc user or even a gamer, for most of your usage of it, itll be fine if your screen is as good as or better than mine.

how come the screen door effect doesn't bother than many people?

i swear it screws up the colors so much in games. everything is slightly darker, and yes...i am sitting 2 feet away.

it's not that i actually see the actual lines, but it's tiny shiny particle like residue on the screen, like noise...it's really annoying...

i noticed that it has a lot less ghosting than my hyundai, but the screen door effefct is more pronounced.

firey-eyez said:
i was worried about it too and mine has it. it really isnt noticeable at all unless your viewing something that is prefectly black and takes up most or all of the screen. its fine for gaming; i played CSS for half an hour today and it was very enjoyable at 1280x768 res. the motion blur was not an issue for me, nor was the uneven backlighting. i *might* try the one member's idea of pressing on the screen to see if that evens it out but im not sure. basically, dont let the uneven backlighting scare you. unless you are a graphics pro that does photo or video editing, the screen will be fine and the uneven nature of the backlighting will be an annoyance only when viewing dark screens; and if you let it annoy you of course. the screen costs $600 and it performs very well for its size/cost. it does not cost $2000 and i dont expect it to perform like one. having said that the backlighting issue is a manufacture flaw however only if it is EXTREMELY annoying/severe for you should you have to return it. if you are a common pc user or even a gamer, for most of your usage of it, itll be fine if your screen is as good as or better than mine.

just be sure you look closely the next couple of days. When I first got mine I figured I would jsut ignore it as it was not htat bad. But im sure that it has gotten worse over the last 4 days of use.

My replacement will be here at about 1PM on Tuesday. I tell ya man this one that I have is getting worse and worse. The longer I use it the worse the backlight issue gets. I have also noticed that I am starting to get some dead pixels. When I first got the thing I had none. Now I have at least three of them. Two are green and one is red. I am worried that my replacement will have the same problem. If it does then I will probably get my money back or get an Axim or something. Does anyone know a good coupon to use on one of those?

Alright, some pics finally...hard to stop playing with it long enough to edit and post. ;)

Just a teeny bit of bleeding on the upper left corner...
P1010006.jpg

If not watching a movie it's not even noticeable. :)
P1010007.jpg

And finally a convienent home for my lil troll :p
P1010010.jpg

All in all I'm happy. :)

Got my replacement yesterday. This one is much worse than the original!! >7 dead pixels (stopped counting after that) and backlight issue is worse than the one I posted earlier. This one has whole stretch of backlight leakage on the left monitor. It just looked horrible. Anyhow, called Dell support (again!!!!! I cannot recall how many times I have done that), a person from India answered after being xferred from 2 diffrent depts. Told me now customer support is handling exchange, wtf, i got the 1st replacement from technical support. He couldn't help, so I tried Dell chat. well, after first few lines, the rep agreed to send me a replacement. hmmmmm....i am not sure how the 3rd one goes, I really don't like going thru all this again but I also dont want this defect monitor. Again, it is the same built revA00, nov 2004, mexico. Praying hard next replcement will be clean.

ok well i just received mine this morning .. unpacked it and installed it .. everything is working great .. no dead pixels or back lightning leakage .. i put my background to all black and nothing ... so im happy .. its definitely gonna take a bit to get used to .. im running it at 1600x1080 or wutever the native res is ...

havent tried gaming cuz i doubt my 9700 pro can handle 1600x1080 gaming .. gotta wait till i get my sli system built ..

now im wondering if i should order one more

im so happy to hear for every person that gets a good problem free 2005fpw.. mine should be here tomorrow and im just hoping that there was a pack of 2005fpw's that had a few problems (backlight, line of dead pixels) and now they've sorted it all out.

jetjaguar said:
ok well i just received mine this morning .. unpacked it and installed it .. everything is working great .. no dead pixels or back lightning leakage .. i put my background to all black and nothing ... so im happy .. its definitely gonna take a bit to get used to .. im running it at 1600x1080 or wutever the native res is ...

havent tried gaming cuz i doubt my 9700 pro can handle 1600x1080 gaming .. gotta wait till i get my sli system built ..

Hi Jetjaguar,
Can you check when is your build date/loc/rev? Thanks.

I got mine as well yesterday, no dead pixels and slight backlight bleeding on the bottom left. It was manufactured on november 2004 rev. A00 made in mexico to the best of my memory. I won't be returning this one as I'm pretty much satisfied with it.

There's slight blurring playing UT LGi 155/55, UT2004, and FarCry

Back of mine says November 2004, Assembeled in Mexico, is that bad?

Looked on the box. Rev A00

One dead pixel in the middle, no biggie.

Baclight on the top left and a little from the bottom left. The majority of the middle of the screen is free from backlight. I just watched Ronin and on a dark scene, the major action was just fine only noticed a little light shinning from the top left corner above the actutal picture. Aside from that DVDs are awesome on this thing!!!

jetjaguar said:

Depending on the game.. but I tried HL2 at the 1680 (16x10) setting and it worked better than I would have thought! I have a 9700 Pro AIW in a Intel 2.4 oc to 3.06. Try it first.. you might be surprised.. I would doubt it for FarCry though.

[..::magnetik::..]

Mine just came in! I unpacked it, hooked it up via DVI, installed the INF file for 1680x1050, and tried it out. I have good news for those worried about having a backlight issue, too! Mine is a REV A00, Product of Mexico, MFG. November 2004, and it has no backlighting issues if viewed from about 1-1.5 feet away.

I tried out some games such as Warcraft 3, Unreal Tournament 2004, Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis, etc. with it (widescreengamingforum.com/forum has great info on making games work with widescreen properly) and they look spectacular. I come from a 50ms response time 15" LCD from a few years back, and the difference in the amount of ghosting, sharpness, etc. is great! I found one dead sub-pixel that is stuck on green ona black background (works normally when it's supposed to be colored) on the entire screen using the monitorsdirect.com LCD tester. This is a huge, huge upgrade for me, and the size was just stunning when I actually saw it :). I highly recommend anyone itnerested in a widescreen to try this monitor out!

My guess is that mostly only people posting are those with bad experiences, whereas thousands and thousands of these monitors have been sent out and people just don't post if they have a good experience. So, I wanted to toss this message out there so those with incoming monitors aren't quite so fearful as I was of having a bad egg :(.

Good luck anyone who has theirs incoming... you'll (hopefully) love it!

I just received my replacement and tested it for 30 mins. It had 5 bad pixels, but the backlight issue was minimal. Even though the backlight issue was not as bad I still am sending it back. Infact I am sending both LCD's back now. I have them both boxed back up and I am back on my 19" Viewsonic P95f+. I told the person that was helping me at Dell that I wanted return labels so that I could send them back if I needed to. They were not in the box. I will email them back to see if I can get the labels.

jetjaguar said:

You'd be surprised... I'm on a 9800pro stock speeds with a 2200mhz 220fsb Athlon XP Mobile Barton and 1gig of Mushkin BH-6 RAM and I can run games much better than I anticipated with 16x quality mode aniso. In UT2k4 I get about 40-60fps on average across a few different maps I played on with the FPS counter on with maxed ingame options and FOV set to 100 (technically, 100.38886 is the exact amount for UT2k4 to run at a perfect 16:10 aspect ratio, but it won't go above 100 ingame when I tried setting it). Still, even with the slight FOV difference, things looked perfect, just like a widescreen version of the game that I saw on my old 4:3 monitor.

Set some games up and try them... you may not get the blistering, silky-smooth framerates like I used to at 1024x768, but they're definitely enough to be playable (40-60fps). I'm going to upgrade once some of the newer technologies mature and I have enough spare cash :).

zan780 said:
I have dual 2001FPs, both had backlighting issues when I took them out of the box. I fixed both of them myself by displaying a blank screen screen saver, which made the bad areas visble, and pressing all over the screen, very firmly, with my fingers. After about 5-10 minutes I had evened out the backlight leakage so it was no longer very noticable at all. I probably reduced it by 70 to 80%. I just double checked and over time the pressure has evened out. I can safely say that my monitors now have a very uniform backlighting.

THANKS ZAN780!

my monitor exhibited a slight backlight problem after it warmed up on 3 corners... but pushing around on the screen almost got rid of it all! I did notice when I pressed on the 4th quarter of the screen.. and let go.. you can hear the lcd "pop" back into place... which was weird. But yes.. this does work.. at least for mine.. it's practically gone.. I wanted to whole heartedly send this back like everyone else.. but after messing with it.. I am gonna keep it.

I used a microfiber rag to push around the screen instead of my fingers because if I got smudges on it.. I would probably have to start over after I cleaned it. lol.

[..:: magnetik ::..]

when I read your post at work.. I couldn't wait to get home and try it... PROPS 2 U.

magnetik said:
THANKS ZAN780!

my monitor exhibited a slight backlight problem after it warmed up on 3 corners... but pushing around on the screen almost got rid of it all! I did notice when I pressed on the 4th quarter of the screen.. and let go.. you can hear the lcd "pop" back into place... which was weird. But yes.. this does work.. at least for mine.. it's practically gone.. I wanted to whole heartedly send this back like everyone else.. but after messing with it.. I am gonna keep it.

I used a microfiber rag to push around the screen instead of my fingers because if I got smudges on it.. I would probably have to start over after I cleaned it. lol.

when I read your post at work.. I couldn't wait to get home and try it... PROPS 2 U.

How hard did you press? Wouldn't you crack the lcd?

Ron21 said:
How hard did you press? Wouldn't you crack the lcd?

no no no.. press lightly.. you will see the change in brightness by pressing just like if you were cleaning it... maybe a little more.. not much.

magnetik said:
no no no.. press lightly.. you will see the change in brightness by pressing just like if you were cleaning it... maybe a little more.. not much.

Ok at first i thought it was a bunch of BS that when you press on the screen the backlight bleeding went away. ...

So tried it on my 2005fpw and 2 out of 4 corners no longer have the backlight problem :confused:

could the bad batch be really gone???

i received mine today, ordered 04 of dec....and it's practically perfect, very minimal backlight leakage.

iamtherat said:
could the bad batch be really gone???

i received mine today, ordered 04 of dec....and it's practically perfect, very minimal backlight leakage.

Wow, finally some good news, however speculative it may be. Mine shipped on 12/06 and should be here in 3-5 days!

I hope I got one of the newer batchs. I really hope I like this over my 2001fp now.

I called Dell to return my 2005, they convinced me that they would assign a case manager to make sure i get a good one this time and I would not even have to call tech support anymore. I agreed so lets see. As for right now I have dual 2005fpw set up, sweet :D

Be careful massaging the screen to try and removing backlighting, I just went over a couple corners doing that very lightly and I think my backlighting is even worse now.

I really want to send it back to try and get a perfect one. Has anyone who sent one back for backlight problems received a perfect monitor? No sign of backlighting or dead pixels at all? I dont have a single defective pixel but I do have some backlighting problem. I'm not sure how bad it is though. When you have a perfectly black screen (blank windows screensaver is great for checking by the way) should the color of the entire screen be uniformly black? Will most LCDs have at least a little backlighting around the corners?

well, you will never get perfect black on lcds (maybe with xbright?)...but not on this dell lcd. it'll always look slightly washed up and milky black.

and the quickest way to test is by changing to a different input (svideo or composition for example).

and not all monitors has backlight leakage, i've actually taken a trip just to see, and found that only a few had it...though i did notice it in the 20" mac screen too.

after some usage, the backlight seems to worsen than initial use. though mine is still good and definitely above tolerable, from a usage stand point.

Mine came with absolutely no back light leakage and only 1 stuck pixel. I'm content now. ;)

actually there is a little bit of leakage, but don't think its noticeable 90% of the time

Just got mine yesterday, and so far I am totally impressed with it. No dead pixels (thank the gods), and very very minimal light leakage (only in the bottom left corner, and it's only visable just barely when watching a movie or something with a pure black background). Here is a pic of my setup.

IMG_0222.JPG

just got mine here at work. plugged it in and scanned over it real quick and couldnt see any dead pixels. then set the background to black and there is NO BACKLIGHT leakage at all!!! hopefully it stays that way. *knocks on wood.

but yah.. this is a reallllllllllly nice LCD.. cant wait to go home and test HL2 out on it.

I am having a hell of a time getting my 3rd monitor. I currently have 2 from dell, both with horrid backlighting. I have the confirmation number from UPS For the pickup of 1 defective monitor so a new replacement can be sent out, but i cant seem to get tech support or cusomer service to understand that i have 2 defective monitors and just want 1 single non defective replacement. Ohh well, its still a bad ass monitor... i just want one with minimal backlight leakage =)

Thanks for letting me vent!

ps. my x800 XT PE will be here friday. I get moist thinking about it.

Hi just wanted to follow up on my situation with Dell. Im the one who posted pictures of the LCD screen with the complete red line of dead pixles going down the right side of the screen earlier. I just wanted to let you all know who are having problems with Dell.. Just keep sending them your LCD back until you get one that is perfect. I was send a replacement overnight... I must say this is beyond amazing for this price really.. A really new experience for me. :p

Stealthecho, did your replacement include any return shipping information? It took me a week to get any information out of them on how to return my defective monitor. Then wehen i got the replacement, it was defective as well so i am still trying to get it returned.

iamtherat said:
well, you will never get perfect black on lcds (maybe with xbright?)...but not on this dell lcd. it'll always look slightly washed up and milky black.

But is it a uniform black over the entire screen? I know that you can never really get a perfect black with LCDs (or at least at the moment you can't) I just dont want to send my screen back if there really isnt anything wrong with it. I'm a home theater buff so I'm able to find imperfections in almost any picture/screen, I just want to make sure I'm not seeing a problem that really isnt there.

hopefully mine won't be defected. I should receive tomorrow or Friday. Can't wait :)

I just thought some of you who are returning monitors might like to see thsi from my latest email with Dell Support:

"So, James, there is no need for you to worry. What I can
request you is, do the required trouble shooting. If the issue gets
resolved, well and good, else mail us the monitor serial number, which
can be found on the side or back of the monitor, and we would be
dispatching to you a working & tested monitor."

It looks like they're getting so many returns that they are testing them before they are shipped out now.

Back