2.4GHz Overclocked to 3.63GHz, And Climbing

Napalm_Fire said:
with my PC3500, I have trouble getting over 3.72GHz, the memory is unstable @ that high a speed... I'l try again to see what I can take it to

Unstable? You're not running 3:2 then or what? 5:4 for a 248MHz memory speed is kinda out of the question so I was just wondering how your ram could be having difficulties at a speed of like 206MHz when its rated higher then that stock. Could it just be a "conflict" between your mobo and the new ram at the higher FSB? I've seen it before, wouldnt surprise me if that's what it was.

3:2 ratio, 309:209 is what its doing for me... getting new memory for birthday, PC4000-4400, 512MB, hopefully that will cure my OC problem

Napalm_Fire said:
3:2 ratio, 309:209 is what its doing for me... getting new memory for birthday, PC4000-4400, 512MB, hopefully that will cure my OC problem

You'd be able to bump it up to 5:4 and take it even farther if the rest of the system is wiling.....because 309FSB on the 5:4 ratio is only like 248MHz or something....so the ram itself woudl still ahve some room left to work.

I've been lookin' at picking up some OCZ PC3500EB or Corsair PC3200XL Pro recently....which means I'd have to find a buyer for my OCZ in my sig..... *wink wink*

you think the corsair 3200XL will give you better results than the OCZ 4000EL?

JustPyro said:
you think the corsair 3200XL will give you better results than the OCZ 4000EL?

It really depends on how far my upcoming IC7-G takes me with my overclock. My chip has a VERY high overclocking ceiling....but i know for a fact that my memory can NOT handle more then about 265FSB at 1:1 with 2.8v (the max on the IC7). If I find that by kicking in the 5:4 dram ratio I can proceed beyond 265fsb easily then I WOULD get the PC3200XL, because it overclocks VERY nicely and if I were to hit my goal of 272FSB (a full 1GHz overclock) the memory would be running at 218MHz.....and with 2.8v I've seen the XL maintain its 2-2-2 timings up to that point before.

So yeah, I'm not saying one pair of ram is better then the other overall.....but it depends on how high my mobo can take me. If the board itself only takes me to about 265fsb then I'll just keep the OCZ....but if i find that i can slow the ram down and proceed on to 270fsb and above I'll definitely be looking at replacing it with some PC3200XL Pro.

cornelious0_0:

3:2 is looser than 5:4, if I set the RAM to 5:4 on 280FSB, my RAM gets 230, if I set it to 3:2, its under 200MHz

Hey guys, I'm back.... I just installed a 9800 Pro and now Farcry and AOL don't work anymore...grrrr. So I had to wait until I got into work to get on the internet.

Napalm, that is a sweet overclock.... I'm still stuck at the 300 FSB mark, I think that's my wall at the moment. Of course, my processor isn't glowing from all the vcore running through it like :cough: cornelius :cough: :D . Now I see why you called me on my vcore statement earlier... that is some incredible vcore that you have running. Especially given that your on air cooling. That cooler must be better than I thought to keep your temps under 50°C.

When I upgrade to a new processor, I might try cranking the vcore to see how high I get... my old 1.8A made it to 3.2 gigs at 1.62V :D It was almost better at oc'ing than this 2.4, but the FSB was incredibly low even at 3.2 so I had to move up to something faster.

I have to remount my HS b/c I bumped it a while back and my load temps jumped 10°C and stayed there. I don't know how bumping affects a Thermalright that's bolted to the mobo, but somehow it did. :rolleyes:

3:2 is looser than 5:4, if I set the RAM to 5:4 on 280FSB, my RAM gets 230, if I set it to 3:2, its under 200MHz

Yes yes yes, I think you all know that I knew that ;) Please excuse the blonde moment. :p Gotta stop posting when I'm barely keeping my eyes open.....I'm not makin' myself look too good. :rolleyes:

Of course, my processor isn't glowing from all the vcore running through it like :cough: cornelius :cough: . Now I see why you called me on my vcore statement earlier... that is some incredible vcore that you have running. Especially given that your on air cooling. That cooler must be better than I thought to keep your temps under 50°C.

What I find more incredible is the fact that so many people are scared to cross into even 1.7x volts....and my cpu is perfectly comfortable/content with 1.8v.....make ya feel good to know i guess. It's not so much JUST the Zalman netting me the nice temps.....its the fact that I have nice airflow in my case that keeps it down to about 24C, and does a great job of cycling hot air out of the system before it can "do harm" to the cpu.

I the coming weeks I'm planning to pick up a Hyper6 to bolt onto this m0 chip of mine....and it looks like I'll have my MAX3 this week.....so I'll be looking at an even nicer OC on the cpu to boot.

Be carefull playing with the voltage though...I have a feeling I might be setting a bad example for some ppl new to overclocking that might be reading by saying that my P4 is fine at 1.8v.....cus most arent.....for very long. ;)

Napalm_Fire said:
well, now I lowered it to 1.675v, still stable...

Whats SNDS or whatever?

I just tried to overclock to 3.7GHz, but my memory wont take me there... its so out of sync @ 3.7GHz (309/206) that nothing works properly...

Im hoping to get a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, only $135, trying to get this... :)

Ive seen people up to 1.8V on their processors, and get to 4.05GHz....

thing is, I have to increase my voltage as I raise FSB, but the voltage stays under 1.65V all the time.

1.7V @ 3.66GHz = 1.61V

1.7V @ 3.63GHz = 1.632V

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=45&threadid=1388415&enterthread=y

Cornelius,

One thing to consider ( or mentally prepare for :D ) with the Hyper6 is that the OTES cooling thing gets in the way with the really big HS's. I don't know if this will apply to the Hyper6, but one of the guys on the ocforums had a heck of a time installing the XP-120 on the IC7-Max3.

The Hyper6 is more built upwards than outwards, but you might consider that so you can think up swear words before you install it :D

That's a nice case temp that you have... mine averages about 24°C as well during the day, but it drops to about 20-21 at night b/c my mom cranks the a/c. It's freakin cold, but it makes it nice for overclocking.

You have a pic of what your case looks like? Here's mine LINK .... this one was taken when I still had my r9200 in so I need to get some new one's up.

my temps are:

Case: 28-35 depending on blowhole speed
CPU Idle: 39c
Load: 55c

winter comes, then im going to harness the power of ice cold air outside, haha, then see how far I can push it, and also, take my laptop outside and check temps, haha

btw, I ordered my 9800 Pro, will I get a HL 2 voucher?

I bought mine off a guy on the ocforums, so I didn't get any of the software that comes with the new ones.

Are you planning on ducting from your window to your cpu? There was one guy that ducted from his a/c vent to a side panel duct fan..... he had some of the lowest temps I've ever seen on an air cooled P4. Of course, he ended up frying his mobo later b/c he didn't watch out for condensation, but that's beside the point :D.

no, just open my window for a bit, equalize the room temp, shut my door, then maybe duct from the window once the room is same as outside, hehehe

Geez, I don't know if I could handle that..... that's a little too cold for me. Alabama doesn't get that cold in the winter, but still.....:D

I may duct from the window to my case, but that's probably about it.... maybe make a wood frame for the duct so all the heat doesn't leak out of my room.

as the guy before said.. be wary of condensation... brrr *scary!*

Depending on what the temps are like outside he might not have to worry. I'd still be carefull though, I live up north here in Canada and my winters are consistently colder then -25C.....sometimes getting into the lower 30's and 40's...fun fun. ;)

mtb856, thanks for the "heads up" but I had already taken note of this....gotta love that OTES. :p I'm gonna be makin' sure in the next little while that Hyper6 fits the MAX3 fine but I'm pretty sure it should be alright. If anything I might have a chop off a peice of the backplate for it, because I've seen THAT conflict with components on the back of the IC7 baords. Ah well, it's all good.

Geez, i WISH I had A/C.....but my case makes up for it. You wanna know what? I've got 3 (pretty warm) reptile tanks in my room, as well as the monitor which is radiating heat right next to the case....all running 24/7.....so I'm pleased. Now, my room IS bigger then most ppl's, but still, it can actually get kinda warm down here somtimes, the highest I've seen my case temps this time of year is about 27C. During the summer though...good God that's brutal.....case temps get into the low 30's cus I dont have any AC down here. :(

I don't have a recent pic ATM....i lent my "el cheapo" camera to someone, and the uploader I had used to submit my last pics ain't cooperating. I'll be sure to get some new pics up asap though, cus I've done some more work with my wiring.

However, I'll probly just wait until after I get the mobo to take pics....cus that's gonna be another LONG first time wiring with the MAX3....cus I wanna do it right the first time this time. I hope the IDE ribbons with the MAX3 are a bit longer then the ones I've got now, cus the ones I'm using aren't long enough to reach to the bottom of the mobo where the MAX3 has its IDE. My wiring is orderly to the point where its wired specifically for THIS mobo....and it'll actually be kinda fun to redo everything with the new board....cus i prefer the MAX3 over the AI7 for wiring after having both.

Sry guys, kinada off track there. mtb856, send any more questions via PMs so we can keep this thread on topic.

Chicken Penni Pasta said:
Air cooling...that high overclocked?

Does it sound like a jet?

It wouldn't have to at all.......gee......we need to somehow find a way to kill off that misconception, cus it's the first thing that always gets assumed....that fast = loud with air cooling. :rolleyes: ;) :p

27dba, 32cfm, doesnt sound loud at all, its my HS thats giving mem the nice temps..

also, the smaller contact area for heat to travel through allows me to cool off the die faster...

The IHS didnt produce any of its own heat, just took from the die, and put to the HS. less distance the heat has to travel, the better thermal transfer your going to get, and with some cheap generic pad between the IHS and die, thats the main thing keeping you @ low temps

Napalm_Fire said:
27dba, 32cfm, doesnt sound loud at all, its my HS thats giving mem the nice temps..

also, the smaller contact area for heat to travel through allows me to cool off the die faster...

The IHS didnt produce any of its own heat, just took from the die, and put to the HS. less distance the heat has to travel, the better thermal transfer your going to get, and with some cheap generic pad between the IHS and die, thats the main thing keeping you @ low temps

K, you're gonna make me wanna take of the IHS myself to get some nicer temps out of my 2.8C m0. I'm not scared of cracking the core under a cooler....as I owned enough Athlons to realise that if you know what you're doing you're really not gonna ruin anything. It makes sense though, with the IHS the heat all slowly xfers to the IHS, and then has to be xfer'd to the cooler from there....whereas without the IHS the heat goes directly from the core to the heatsink, much faster, and much more efficiently.

Hmm......maybe I will....carefully of course. I've never seriously thought about taking off my IHS, any tips from when you did yours?

I took a razor blade, I'll get a pic of it in a few mins, but yea, I took a razor blade, and went around the edges, about the depth in of a 3mm LED from base to rounded top.

One main question is, when was your processor packed and manufactured?

mine was packed on 6/16/03, so its safe to say from there before, intel hasnt been fusing their cores to the IHS, like the busted processor...

I'll get a razor, and put a line on it, how far in I went...

pics are here...

first off, heres the difference in contact size of the core and IHS

DSC01907.jpg

the .'s are the size of the normal P4 IHS, the square of AS5 is the cpu die

ok, now the razorblade pic :)

DSC01906.jpg

dont go any further in than where the line begins on the right side nearest the cutting edge

Napalm_Fire said:
mine was packed on 6/16/03, so its safe to say from there before, intel hasnt been fusing their cores to the IHS

Looking at my box, mine was 01/11/04....are you're saying I should or shouldn't attempt it?

seems early enough, you can try it, but if it doesnt come off right after you make a full circle around the chip, stop there

check intel, or ask around for the exact date when they started gluing the cores onto the IHS's

im not responsible for any mistakes you make, but I feel you have a good chance @ getting that little sucker off, heh

I was just wondering what kind of motherboard you used and was the system air or water cooled??

sorry but i dont have time to read all of this. :-(
I am really looking at over clocking my 2.4 because i have a 120g hard drive, 9600.

CPUZ_300FSB.bmp

This was a 2.4C...my first ever...L310A744....what an awesome chip. I loved it. I was sad to see it go but I couldn't hang onto it forever as I wanted to move up so it found a new home through the for sale forums here.

This chip would go to 322FSB stable at 1.65V (by BIOS) but would not run over 303FSB unless Windows was booted in VGA mode. Something to do with the AGP/PCI lock screwing up over this bus speed. Me and the others with this same problem never figured it out although I suspect now that we just needed more volts to the NB.

Oh yeah, I removed the IHS too. If you have a D1 stepping you are good to go, don't try to remove an M0 stepping IHS though, this will certainly be the end of that chip.

Also, just noticed the 1.525V max...that's excellent. Even Intel know's that ones a good OC'er. The "L321" chips were also a "magical" batch just like the L309/L310/L311 batches. For some reason these batches have A LOT of great overclocking chips...much more percentage-wise than any other batches that I know about.

-Kris

all in my sig, 2.4C, air cooled 32cfm fan, with an SP-94 heatsink

IC7-G motherboard

anything else you want to know, check the sig :)

if its not showing, you may have to enable it

??? PC3200 can go that high? what ratio are you running? whats your timings?

normal operations below 200Mhz i'm running at 2.5-6-3-3
at OCed i'm running at default 2.5-8-4-4
both at 3:2

bear in mind that these 256Mb RAM costs less than $40 each...

my chip was packed in june 03... later i'll post my batch number and pics ;)

my rig with stock heatsink
wiring_after1.jpg

Oh yeah, I removed the IHS too. If you have a D1 stepping you are good to go, don't try to remove an M0 stepping IHS though, this will certainly be the end of that chip.

Keep in mind that not all D1's are the same. What I mean by this is that D1 2.4's and D1 3.0's seem to be very nice overclockers.....whereas D1 2.8's blow ass.....its the m0 you want for the 2.8C. Are you saying that ANY m0 CPU should not be "tampered" with....or just specifically to 2.4's???

I seem to remember that Intel epoxied the M0 IHS's to the core, so if you try to remove the IHS, you end up tearing the core off. I'll do some research to see if that applies the 2.4's only or all M0's.

[edit]

Okay, after digging around.... it looks like the IHS is "soldered" on to the M0, EE processors, and Prescotts using a metallic epoxy. If you attempt to remove it, you will in all likelyhood rip the core off the processor.

mtb856 said:
I seem to remember that Intel epoxied the M0 IHS's to the core, so if you try to remove the IHS, you end up tearing the core off. I'll do some research to see if that applies the 2.4's only or all M0's.

[edit]

Okay, after digging around.... it looks like the IHS is "soldered" on to the M0, EE processors, and Prescotts using a metallic epoxy. If you attempt to remove it, you will in all likelyhood rip the core off the processor.

Gah.....well.....that's no fun at all. :p

I guess that's the price I pay for having the "magic stepping" on my 2.8C though. ;)

well, you could give it a try, cutting the sealant off around the edges wont tear the core off, the IHS will still be on by the epoxy...

What would be the point of partially removing the IHS? Or maybe I should ask what you would do if you removed the sealant around the IHS.... would you try to remove and reapply the TIM?

From what I've seen, removing the IHS only nets you a few degrees.... and the risk is fairly high. Although when you're prying around with razor blades, the risk is more related to cutting a finger off than damaging the cpu :D

There are too many other mods that net you the same temp drop for me to really consider doing this mod. I guess if you've done all of the other mods and lapped your HS..... then it would be worth it.

Personally I'd rather go with a closed circuit cooling system... use a dehumidifier, an a/c, and an airtight case with seals.... beats me if it'd work, but it would be fun to try.

I'll probly just leave it guys....thx for your help/time....but I'm not gonna put in the time and risk to do it if I'll probly just be left with it stuck on there anyways.

w00t, temps idle @ 37c now, same room temp as before, I made sure no one touched the AC, as for testing purposes

37c idle, 48c load, from 45c idle, 60c load, by going from stock processor, then lapping it, then removing IHS, then lapping heatsink, filling grooves with AS5, re-lapping, as5 filler, final application

8c lost and the AS5 still hasnt cured, but im thinking im going to order some AS-Ceramique, because that stuff is the same as AS5, but gets more consistant temps, because my AS5 has given me temp rises and drops @ idle from like.... 39c idle, to 42c idle after 20 mins of not doing anything

I'll post again if it drops anything worth posting about.

I'm thinking this overclocking my chip thread turned more into me taking off my IHS and trying to get lower temps... time to change title, lol

Napalm_Fire said:
w00t, temps idle @ 37c now, same room temp as before, I made sure no one touched the AC, as for testing purposes

37c idle, 48c load, from 45c idle, 60c load, by going from stock processor, then lapping it, then removing IHS, then lapping heatsink, filling grooves with AS5, re-lapping, as5 filler, final application

8c lost and the AS5 still hasnt cured, but im thinking im going to order some AS-Ceramique, because that stuff is the same as AS5, but gets more consistant temps, because my AS5 has given me temp rises and drops @ idle from like.... 39c idle, to 42c idle after 20 mins of not doing anything

I'll post again if it drops anything worth posting about.

I'm thinking this overclocking my chip thread turned more into me taking off my IHS and trying to get lower temps... time to change title, lol

Gah, can someone PLEASE confirm 110% that I will NOT be able to get my IHS off my chip? I would REALLY like some temp drops like that.....that's sick bro.....that would help me overclocking so much once I get the Hyper6.

Please let me know FOR SURE it will NOT work so i can stop torturing myself thinking about having those kind of temp drops. :p

Okay, here's an article on it from the my home forum :)

OCforums

I think that article should answer your question... if not, I'll do some more digging.

Back