2.4GHz Overclocked to 3.63GHz, And Climbing

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Napalm_Fire, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

***go to last page, I hit 3.72GHz***

Well.... Major overclock... heh heh

[​IMG]

Started with a 2.4GHz 'C' Processor, Dual Channel 1GB Geil RAM PC3500. SP-94 cooling.

Stock timings were 2-5-2-2. Current timings are 2.5-4-4-7. Couldn't get the overclock past 3GHz with 2-5-2-2...

I idle @ 39c, Full load @ 55c

Benchmarks:

With this benchmark, im closing in on a 4GHz chip, lol:
    [​IMG]

Competing with the 3.8GHz:
    [​IMG]

Memory Benchmarks:
    [​IMG]

3DMark 01 On a Radeon 9000

With 3.63GHz:

[​IMG]

With 2.4GHz:

[​IMG]

I didnt realise I had that much of a preformance gain in video cards, haha

PCMark2002:

2.4GHz:

[​IMG]

3.63GHz

[​IMG]

Its an SL6WF chip. D1 Stepping. Max Voltage 1.525v
    Specs Of Processor.
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL6WF

Currently @ 1.7V :D
    Putting out 110w of heat compared to its original 66w... lol

How much farther co you think I can go? Im gonna try and get some PC4000 or PC4200 soon. As well as watercooling so I think I can get to 3.72GHz or so.

2. mtb856

mtb856 [H]Lite

Geez, your vcore's high.... aren't you worried about SNDS at that voltage? If it takes that to get you to 3.6, I wouldn't imagine that your chip has too much left in it.... most guys have to use phase change cooling to get past that.

Nice performance and overclock, but I don't think I'd want to risk killing my 2.4 just for a few extra 3DMarks. I'm at 3.45 w/ 1.53V ...... I have to increase the vcore to 1.60V just to get into Windows at a 300FSB, and then my temps jump from 41°C load to almost 50°C load, so I'm staying at 3.45 for now. If you're planning on going to watercooling, you might want to consider spending a few extra hundred and getting a Vapochill or Prometeia setup instead.... I don't think that you'll get too much higher if you just switch to water.

3. cornelious0_0

cornelious0_0 [H]ardForum Junkie

'Grats on the OC Napalm_Fire, but that 9000 has to go. :p

mtb856, what in the world are you talking about??? He's only at 1.63v dude, simmer. ;)

Personally I have never heard anyone suffer SNDS at anything below 1.8v.....I dont know why you're so concerned for him.....I'd say his chip might still have a fair bit left in it if it only takes him that kind of voltage to clear 300fsb.

4. gsxtreme1987

gsxtreme1987 n00b

nice man!

i just raised my 2.4 to 2.6.. :S.. dont have proper cooling yet.. running at 39C

5. cornelious0_0

Don't worry bro, we all gotta start somewhere.....its stuff like this that should be making you want more though....so all lets chear on Napalm and cry for more. ;)

6. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

well, now I lowered it to 1.675v, still stable...

Whats SNDS or whatever?

I just tried to overclock to 3.7GHz, but my memory wont take me there... its so out of sync @ 3.7GHz (309/206) that nothing works properly...

Im hoping to get a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT, only $135, trying to get this... :)

Ive seen people up to 1.8V on their processors, and get to 4.05GHz....

thing is, I have to increase my voltage as I raise FSB, but the voltage stays under 1.65V all the time.

1.7V @ 3.66GHz = 1.61V

1.7V @ 3.63GHz = 1.632V

7. mtb856

mtb856 [H]Lite

I think when he took that screenshot of CPUZ his cpu was under load or fluctuating. My vcore drops from 1.60V in BIOS to 1.57 in Windows to 1.52ish under load. That's just my guess.

If it was set to 1.63 I wouldn't be going nuts.... but I saw 1.7V and at the ocforums I've seen several people kill their 2.4's with that voltage, so that's why I made that comment. If you look at their SNDS thread, there's dozens of people that have killed their Northwoods with vcore's higher than 1.65V.

^^^ SNDS is Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome which is when your Northwood's oc suddenly becomes unstable and then goes into a death spiral with the processor usually dying a few weeks later. It usually only happens with extremely high vcore's 1.65V or higher... and even then only rarely, but it is something to watch out for.

BTW, I'm not a newb at oc'ing so I'm not pulling this out of my butt.... I have close to a 1000 posts at the ocforums, so I have been doing this for a while. Just wanted to get that out there :)

8. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

thx, im going to try and get it stable under 1.65v now...

9. phas3d

phas3d Gawd

I have the same chip you have and see much better performance and better bench scores once I found the "sweet spot" which ends up being around 3.34ghz. A FSB of 280 nets me the best results. My Sandra scores are pretty damn close to yours and I have my system running at over 300mhz lower then yours. Just something to think about. Also, my voltage doesnt go above 1.55 and with the watercooling I have, I never go above 35c at full load. I have had my cpu for well over a year now and haven't seen a reason to upgrade to anything else. I love the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and P2.4C.

phas3d

10. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

ok, im typing this from my laptop...

I undervolted back down from 1.7v to 1.65v, and im sitting in my BIOS, supposed to be 1.65v, its ! 1.6v...

1.7V gets me 1.65v in the BIOS

idk what to do...

im going to try 280fsb and then benchmark.

11. mtb856

mtb856 [H]Lite

It's normal for the vcore to drop from BIOS to Windows... to lessen the drop you usually have to do a droop mod, although I'm not sure if droop mods exist for boards other than the P4C800's.

285 FSB is the sweet spot for my chip.... I can tighten my ram timings a little bit and still get the overclocked performance...... and like phas said, your temps are significantly lower if you can find a nice oc that doesn't require a lot of voltage.

Here's my Sandra scores at 285FSB

CpuTest
    Multimedia

12. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

ok, I scored 30 points higher with 280fsb compared from 302fsb, lol... 1.55v

gonna find my "sweet spot" i'll post again when i get it...

13. lethal_dosage

lethal_dosage n00b

not bad for the Northwood. Got my 2.4 prescott goin at 3Ghz now on the Stock hsf. And my load temps arnt too bad either 50ºC...

Looks like you got a nice chip, i wonder how far it could go on water...

14. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

I didnt think I could do this, but im pretty much rock stable @ 3.6GHz on 1.55v.... 3:2 ratio...

3.6GHz is my current sweetspot, 300:200

3.6GHz out preforms the 3.8GHz in the sisoft thingy

15. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

stable, 3.6GHz, 1.6V, burning in now.

16. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

ok, back to my original 3.63GHz after burning in... before, it was only stable @ 1.7V, now its stable @ 1.65V, well, I have it set to 1.675V in the BIOS, but it drops down to 1.65V in windows, and 1.6V during load.

3 hours of Doom 3, and it didnt crash :D

I dun good! lol

When I get my new memory, im gonna try higher... and i'll keep in mind, stay under 1.7v because when I clock higher, my voltage lowers itself too.

17. cornelious0_0

Man, its a good thing you guys have never taken a look at MY voltage readings......I guess my 2.8C m0 just loves the powa.....it has no problem going steady at 1.8v on my Zalman 7000ALCU for days at a time.....and its been fine doing that voltage on and off for the past few months.

Don't over-react though, i don't NEED that voltage....I was just testing the ceiling of my AI7 mobo and just kept raising the CPU voltage trying to get it prime stable....when it was the mobo crapping out. ;)

So there ya go.....my 2.8C just loves it.....which really makes me want to water cool it with a fully voltmodded P4C800-E with the OCZ DDR Booster.

18. phas3d

phas3d Gawd

cornelious0_0, you might not see much of a difference with watercooling. I know of many who have my mobo and proc and just use really good heatsink/fan and get pretty good temps up to the kind of voltage you are talking about. These chips just dont get too hot, unlike some others I know **cough 3500+ cough**.

phas3d

19. cornelious0_0

Heh, yeah....the temps are still fairly under control even at 1.8v (again, not needed that high, just playing around) at 3.45GHz under full load. From testing I've done, the temperature really doesnt go up that much (if at all sometimes) from a straight MHz increase at the same voltage. My max load temps have never crossed 50C (at 1.8v 3.45GHz) with the Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU so I'm actually quite excited to get the Coolermaster Hyper6 in the next 2-3 weeks.....seeing as it's been proven time and time again to outdo even the mighty SP94 with the same fan. Good stuff IMO....and the towering behemoth just looks to damn cool. :D

alright, I'm done....back ontopic......if there's anything left going on.

20. MemoryInAGarden

MemoryInAGarden 2[H]4U

Nice chip...mine's an SL6WF D1 as well and hits 302 FSB at 1.6V

21. Carnival Forces

Carnival Forces [H]ardness Supreme

i want to see you Prime95 TortureTest that. then i'll say it's stable.

congrats on t3h numbers...
    [​IMG]

22. cornelious0_0

It's funny how the steppings between some of the chips are so completely different.....my buddy's 2.8C D1 is the worst overclocker you've ever seen....I dunno.....KINDA funny i guess. :p

23. cornelious0_0

Agreed....I want to see a screenshot of it passing a 12hour dual Prime95 torture test before I'd consider it stable. I hear a lot of ppl saying that if their cpu does 4 hours it'll be good from then on, but it's not true....I've had a few fail at around the 10 or 11 hour marks.....which actually did in those cases result in some noticeable system instability from time to time.

Make sure she can handle dual Prime95 for 12 hours and you're good to go.....less then that and I'm never satisfied...just cus I'm so retardedly picky about little stuff like that with MY overclocks. ;)

24. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

does any of this match your info?

[​IMG]

I was dying to know what chip I had and everything, then realised I stick the sticker on the back of my case, lol

edit: from the time I started this post, 3 other people posted, haha, this message is meant towards MemoryInAGarden

25. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

I passed a 10 hour Prime 95 test, I'll let one run for 12 hours to satisfy your needs.

26. IceWeasel

IceWeasel [H]ard|Gawd

can someone explain to me what Prime95 is and how exactly it tests your PC? sorry, i'm new to this whole overclocking game :)

27. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

Prime 95 is a stability tester for the cpu, It puts the CPU under full load while doing calculations. If it detects an error in any calculation, it considers the test failed, and stops running, which means your system is unstable

28. cornelious0_0

The fun parts lies in determining what is causing the system instability that may have caused the failed testing....because Prime95 was not designed solely to test overclocked machines, and it will not tell you what's wrong with your poor comp. ;)

The reason I keep saying Dual Prime95 is because of Intels Hyperthreading.....running a single copy of Prime95 will only put your CPU at 50% load....which isnt fully stressing it.....but the second copy of Prime95 takes care of that quite well. There are other ways to get your HT P4 to 100% full load....but none of them are AS stressfull on the cpu itself.....as during Prime95 your processor left crunching numbers endlessly....until you tell it to stop. Looping 3DMark2001 for 12hours or something might seem like a good system stability test, but it will NOT put the same kind of stress on your system as Prime95 will.....and that has been proven quite a few times.

Heh, thx.....its just a personal standard that I adhere to with my overclocks....so i like to see other ppl doing the same whenever possible.....less then 12hours (by more then an hour or two) in my eyes doesnt mean a lot.....24 hours would be even better, but not everyone has that kind of time.

I have tried it out myself a few times and anytime I had an overclock that would pass 12hours DID pass 24 hours.....but before that 12hour mark you dont really know how it's gonna turn out. ;)

29. IceWeasel

IceWeasel [H]ard|Gawd

a completely stock cpu will pass the Prime95 right? right now my AMD 64 3500+ is a stock 2.2, so it should pass a 12 hr test right?

also... (as noted in my sig) i bought 2-2-2-5 CAS latency Corsair RAM, which will allow me to overclock to greater speeds if i so desired right?

actually, can someone just point me to a guide on the terms/guidelines to overclocking a system? such as ratios, whatever...

thanks for educating me!

30. cornelious0_0

The only way a completely stock CPU/mobo/memory setup will fail Prime95 is if there's actually something wrong with the hardware itself.....which does happen.

If I wasn't so bloody tired I'd be just the guy to write up a quick guide myself for you, but I've got work in the morning....and I'm bloody tired right now.....sry bud, if nobody else steers you where you need to go before I "get to you" tomorrow I'll get you setup and good to go. ;)

31. phas3d

phas3d Gawd

cornelious0_0, I just used the CNPS7000A-ALCU to cool a computer I built using the Abit AV8 and A64 3500+. I really can't say I like it all that much. It was just getting too hot. My friend I built the computer for likes the system, but I am thinking about putting in a different heatsink fan. The Hyper6 does look promising.

phas3d

32. Carnival Forces

Carnival Forces [H]ardness Supreme

please run it for 24 :p That's what I consider stable....please? I know it's kinda time-consuming...but running it for 24 hours would satisfy even the most pickiest person (me) beyond any doubt.

www.mersenne.org
    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=795444

it's on the front page of the OC&C forum. look to the stickies, young grashopper.

i have the all copper one running on my 3200+. I love it, great temps for me.
    [​IMG]

33. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

forums were down or something, idk, but heres 13 hours of P95ing

[​IMG]

and hey, check out my bandwidth, FSB of 287, doing a burn in now for this speed

6GB/s+
    [​IMG]

287 = 3.45GHz

I get optimal preformance with my PC3500 here, im @ 2.5-3-3-6 timings, 2.8V memory, 1.65V CPU

34. cornelious0_0

Was the system running stock or was anything overclocked? Unless you have MUCH stricter standards as to what "too hot" is I dont know how it would do THAT bad....unless the case temp was into the mid-upper 30's.....I have found my Zalman to be VERY suseptible to case temps....moreso then other coolers I've tried in the past.

It's good to hear that SOMEone likes the thing. :p

35. phas3d

phas3d Gawd

I've built two A64 systems recently. I used the CNPS7000A-ALCU for one and the new Swiftech MCX for the socket 754/939 for the other. I absolutely love the Swiftech one! Even though the little screw-like pins are easy to bend, it is the best heatsink I have had my hands on. But, I havent had my hands on the Hyper 6 yet.

phas3d

36. ocphangaz

ocphangaz Gawd

keep it going napalm!

wiht your RAM i think ill go much higher, my specs below can get my 3.78Ghz at 315FSB

37. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

??? PC3200 can go that high? what ratio are you running? whats your timings?

What was the pack date of your cpu? if you were packed on the info I have above, you can take off your IHS :)

yay! I just ordered my Radeon 9800 Pro btw :D

38. cornelious0_0

It's quite obvious isn't it dude? with an FSB of 315MHz and a dram ratio of 3:2 the PC3200 would only be slightly overclocked, chuggin' along at 210MHz.....which would leave him open to some decent timing at the same time.

Good stuff, despite all the hubub going on with all these fancy new cards, the 9800Pro is still a great ol' thing.....and I can hardly wait to see your updated scores. :)

39. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

with my PC3500, I have trouble getting over 3.72GHz, the memory is unstable @ that high a speed... I'l try again to see what I can take it to

40. Napalm_Fire

Napalm_Fire [H]Lite

post from my laptop,

Im @ 309/209, having trouble booting, getting messages saying memory is corrupt or of the sort.

timings are as loose as they go, any tigher, and it gives me a beep.. 3-4-4-8 is lowest they go...

Gonna go back to what I was @ before, my memory doesnt like this speed/timings setup for somereason