2.4GHz Overclocked to 3.63GHz, And Climbing

@weldzilla:

You use a WC setup correct? If so, do you WC your NB? If so, what block are u using to cool the NB with? I just want to know since I use the same mobo as you ;)

chrisf6969 said:
I can take screens at 3.9Ghz with clockgen,

but it cant run any 3D apps worth a crap.

I think it even ran SuperPrime and Sisoft CPU & mem benchs up to about 3.85+ - Ghz

Show me a link to a run of 3dMark at over 302Mhz FSB. Soon as you go over about 302Mhz FSB, the AGP goes wack. Its an unexplained problem with I think all 865/875 mobos. (with an 8x AGP card in the slot, b/c I've heard its ok with old GF2, etc... cards.)

I'm aware of that. All you have to do is boot up @ stock with high voltages, raise the agp/pci to 82/whatever with clockgen, then overclock using it. IT will cost you about 5mhz on both core and mem in video card overclockablilty but is well worth it to get the extra mhz. I can't show you a 3dmark run over 302mhz because quite simply I don't have the chip anymore. I sold it maybe a little over a year ago (edit, actually now that I think about it it couldn't have been that long, but it's gone nonetheless). But I thought the clockgen solution was common knowledge. Try it.

You know what's sick.....I've never had/used/installed clockgen before. :eek:

I'm downloading it now.....should I really expect any differences at all in my overclock? Or do people just find it more convenient then the BIOS?

EDIT: apparently ClockGen doesn't work with my Lanparty Pro so I dunno now if I should even wonder 'bout it.....unless that list is out of date. Heh.....might as well load it up and see what happens. :p

computerpro3 said:
I'm aware of that. All you have to do is boot up @ stock with high voltages, raise the agp/pci to 82/whatever with clockgen, then overclock using it. IT will cost you about 5mhz on both core and mem in video card overclockablilty but is well worth it to get the extra mhz. I can't show you a 3dmark run over 302mhz because quite simply I don't have the chip anymore. I sold it maybe a little over a year ago (edit, actually now that I think about it it couldn't have been that long, but it's gone nonetheless). But I thought the clockgen solution was common knowledge. Try it.

I've tried all kinds of combination of AGP/PCI buses locked/ unlocked various speeds. But soon as I get over 302 my video isnt stable any more. Unless I underclock my videocard. When I did Autodetect back on my 5900 it would detect like 380/760 instead of the default clock of 400/850 or the 450/911 that I normally ran at for benchmarking.

Not so much for the benching, but do you have an old GF2 or something that you can pop in there to try out? I just know that all these 8xAGP issues didnt start arrising until we said "bye bye" to the GF4's and moved onto 9700 and 9800 cards.

It might help you out, and it might not. But then again, knowing that your comp can clock higher with a slow-ass video card and not being able to bench with your "real" card might would be torture. :p

Another lucky guy that has a 300FSB chip on 5:4, although unstable. I think the IS7 just has all it can handle at this speed, as I got a VPU recovery message and a quick reboot in ~5 mins :p

3.6-gigs.jpg

membw.jpg

Not bad buffered scores for 5:4....what timings you running on that PC4000 of yours?

I gotta re-run Sandra, but at 264fsb for a 528MHz DDR clock, I can pull off 2.5-4-3-5 with my OCZ.....hmm....

/restarts to go run Sandra :p

cornelious0_0 said:
Not bad buffered scores for 5:4....what timings you running on that PC4000 of yours?

I gotta re-run Sandra, but at 264fsb for a 528MHz DDR clock, I can pull off 2.5-4-3-5 with my OCZ.....hmm....

/restarts to go run Sandra :p

2.5-4-4-6, I think. The SPD between the GEIL PC4000 and this Patriot PC4000 is all fucked up...neither one of them has an SPD that low. When I tried to loosen the GEIL's timings, all I got was a beep and no-POST, so I'm not messing with that again. I can't even pull 3.3 ghz if I leave GAT to anything but A-N-A-D-D

This is about as far as I've been able to push my 2.8C on air.

Oh, and don't worry about the ridiculously high vcore.....the cpu has been running at just under or just over 1.8v for about 4 months now.....it loves it. :D Which is why I'm looking to pick up a Prommy in the next month.....goin for 4GHz with the 2.8. :D

1265.jpg

1265_2.JPG

Well, 5:4 @ 3.6 ghz won't hold for maybe 5 mins tops, but 3:2 @ 3.6 ghz doesn't feel so flaky. It's amazing what changing from Kingston Value RAM to "value" Patriot PC4000 can do for an OC. Before I was only stable 5:4 @ 3.0 and 3:2 @ 3.3 (could get into Windows as high as 3.5 though). Now I can run a bench or two at 5:4 @ 3.6. Nice improvement :)

LOL...I just checked Sandra's thermal dissipation, and it's calculating 111W :eek:

update:

when I turn my PCI/AGP lock to 67/34, I can get the chip to 3.72GHz @ 1.7V, but im worried about the PCI speeds and the hard drives, I dont want to corrupt anything...

also, im trying to decide between a new 160GB hard drive, or an XP-120, or XP-90, from my SP-94

any + or - to upgrading the cooling? I need the hdd space also...

I do have a 12omm side fan running a lot of air over my northbridge. Shut that fan off it it gets really hot fast!! With it running it just gets warm. When you use liquid cooling there is no cpu fan to push air around the northbridge. you got to help it out!!. I plan on going for much higher clocks here myself. I am determined. If my prossy dies I will give it a burial in the garbage and get yet another. And torture it. I Turned my volts up to 1.675,which is really closer to 1.636 and got aquamark and pcmark04 to bench smoothly!! And Mcafee worked great too. Just took a little more voltage My aquamark cpu score hit 11,647.
3602mhz.jpg

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=2027109476
WeldZillaTime.jpg

It was great to be able to bench so well at this clock!!
Here is my NB cooler 120mm fan there is also a 120 fan blowing up from the bottom. My mem and vidcard benefit from these fans

WZ

WeldZilla, while it does look kinda cool.....why on earth did you not just water cool the NB if it gets so bad? I mean, the fan surely does help.....but was it gonna be that difficult to get the extra block and route a couple extra lengths of tube? :p

No offense, I just think that you'd benefit quite a bit from a NB block.....unless you're really attached to that 120mm on the side, and the GT is actually getting a nicer OC because of it. ;)

lets all hijack my thread now, shal we? lol...

I got it to 3.71GHz last night and took a screenie.

3_74GHz.jpg

But let's see some actual benchmarking from 3600mhz on up. Then I will be impressed. And yes there may be a NB block in my future but for now it stays cool with the fan. So let's see some benching with these 2.4C's at over 3600mhz.

WZ

Tweeked my mem just a little more and squeezed a bit more out of my prossy and mem.
Here are a couple shots for you.
Faster.jpg

Ran PCmark02 also finally broke 12,000 on the mem score.
Broke12000.jpg

WZ

WeldZilla said:
But let's see some actual benchmarking from 3600mhz on up. Then I will be impressed. And yes there may be a NB block in my future but for now it stays cool with the fan. So let's see some benching with these 2.4C's at over 3600mhz.

WZ

I agree, I can boot into windows and get CPU-Z and Sandra shots at a far higher clock then I can actually benchmark at. Lets even forget about calling it Prime stable for now and see some actual Aquamark3 and/or 3DMark runs with those clocks. I'll agree that it is fun to see how high you can clock the system and still get into windows.....but lets face it, if you can't even load up a game or run 3DMark for more then a minute or two then what good is it?

Lets see some results ppl, and 3D benchmarks, not PCMark.....cus it's way to "easy" on your system IMO.

cornelious0_0 said:
Lets see some results ppl, and 3D benchmarks, not PCMark.....cus it's way to "easy" on your system IMO.

The results are in my sig... and here: http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/overclock/

I get 600+ fps in Quake 3 at 640x480 Normal.

quake.jpg

I play all games at 1152x864 with max (ultra / highest) details... (I like 100Hz refresh rate) (and usually 4xAA/8xAF)
Doom3, FarCry, etc...

Aquamark 66,635
which seems kinda low considering I could get like 52k with my old FX5900

chris, I realise that you're running a higher FSB then me.....but a 600fps result is NOT possible by simply installing the game and setting it to 640x480 medium. Please state exactly what settings you were using. The only reason I bring it up is because my system is tweaked through the roof and overclock very well (see sig) and I have to do 320x240 in a window with everything turned off/down (including game options) to hit 600fps......which is why I find it extremely hard to believe that you're hitting 600 by just running at 640res with everything else on medium/normal fullscreen.

Thx for the 3DMark scores though....at least your 3.6GHz is stable enough to do some gaming and actual 3D Benchmarking....which is more then I can say for a LOT of 3.6GHz 2.4C's that I see ppl "running" these days. ;)

Glad to see some one else actually being able to use his computer when OC'd past 3600
I OCdd to 3644mhz yesterday and ran Aquamark. And set a new high for my CPU score and OC'd the hell out of my 6800GT and got a new high score for my GPU too. Which added up to a new High SCore!! for me here is a pic and the link:
NewhighAQMK3A.jpg

http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1289107750
Then I turned up the fsb some more here is a screenie. I plan on benching here next!!!
moremore.jpg

Let's keep pushing these little 2.4C's on steroids til they just hit a wall. I want you to know that I know of a guy who hit over 4.0 ghz with his 2.4C. I believe it is dead now but it made it there!!

WZ

WeldZilla said:
I want you to know that I know of a guy who hit over 4.0 ghz with his 2.4C. I believe it is dead now but it made it there!!

See......to me, that is what overclocking is about. I look at overclocking different from a LOT of people around here. For me, overclocking is not a race to gain some extra performance, to me, overclocking and benchmarking is a hobby, and a past-time.....I love it. If I was able to attain something like a 4GHz 2.4C I'd still be happy after it died.....because that's one hell of an accomplishment, and what a rush.

I know there are going to be ppl that say "what's the point if you're just gonna kill it" but that's alright, because they'll never understand this "side" of overclocking, and I'm perfectly alright with that.

OC on my brothers.....show us what you've got.

I wish I could find a chip that would do 300FSB. I have ram that I've memtested and primed @ 292FSB for 32hrs and my chip was limiting me. If I could get a good board and chip we're talking 300FSB 1:1 :eek: :D

eViL_M@LuM said:
I wish I could find a chip that would do 300FSB. I have ram that I've memtested and primed @ 292FSB for 32hrs and my chip was limiting me. If I could get a good board and chip we're talking 300FSB 1:1 :eek: :D

Yeah man, that'd be nice. I'm gonna be lookin' for a nice 3.2E stepping chip when I get my Prometia in just less then a month.....cus I'm getting some PC4400 OCZ EL to go with it, so I'll be looking at 275fsb 1:1.....possibly 282fsb 1:1 if the Prescott does 4.5GHz.....but nice D0 3.2E's that I've seen over at xtremesystems do VERY well on vaporcooling.....so cross your fingers for me. :D

WeldZilla said:
Glad to see some one else actually being able to use his computer when OC'd past 3600
I OCdd to 3644mhz yesterday and ran Aquamark. And set a new high for my CPU score and OC'd the hell out of my 6800GT and got a new high score for my GPU too. Which added up to a new High SCore!! for me here is a pic and the link:
http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1289107750
Then I turned up the fsb some more here is a screenie. I plan on benching here next!!!
Let's keep pushing these little 2.4C's on steroids til they just hit a wall. I want you to know that I know of a guy who hit over 4.0 ghz with his 2.4C. I believe it is dead now but it made it there!!

WZ

I've got the same kind of RAM that you do (assuming you have the gold edition, but mine is OCZ pc4000 as well).
Have you ever tried to get it running that high with performance mode enabled?
I can't keep to get it to run above like 230mhz at all (no matter what the timings are) and I have performance mode enabled.

I'm wondering if disabling it will allow me to run it at a higher frequency.

rtierney said:
I'm wondering if disabling it will allow me to run it at a higher frequency.

Give it a shot dude.....from what I saw from owning the AI7 is that it'll either "take" the performance mode settings and work.....or it won't.....its not always gonna necessarily hold back or boost your overclocking capability by enabling/disabling it.

cornelious0_0 said:
Give it a shot dude.....from what I saw from owning the AI7 is that it'll either "take" the performance mode settings and work.....or it won't.....its not always gonna necessarily hold back or boost your overclocking capability by enabling/disabling it.

Where/how do I disable Performance Mode?
I'm using an IC7 and I can't find any "performance mode" options anywhere, BIOS or otherwise.

rtierney said:
Where/how do I disable Performance Mode?
I'm using an IC7 and I can't find any "performance mode" options anywhere, BIOS or otherwise.

You're running an IC7.....an i875 mobo.....which does not carry the same BIOS options for the multiple performance mode settings.....as they are unique to i865 Springdale boards.....and the inclusion of GAT as opposed to PAT.

cornelious0_0 said:
You're running an IC7.....an i875 mobo.....which does not carry the same BIOS options for the multiple performance mode settings.....as they are unique to i865 Springdale boards.....and the inclusion of GAT as opposed to PAT.

So I'm basically screwed if I'm trying to disable it and keep my memory in dual channel? :p

:mad:

rtierney said:
So I'm basically screwed if I'm trying to disable it and keep my memory in dual channel? :p

:mad:

What I'm saying is that your board is an i875 with PAT (Performance Accelerator Technology) as is mine.....and the only options we have in our BIOS's is to enable or disable PAT. Enabling PAT for me means an extra 300-400MB/s of memory bandwidth, and a decent rise in most of my benchmark scores.....but nothing else, as it simply stresses the memory a tad more. GAT (on i865 Springdale boards only) gives a lot more flexibility when it comes to the BIOS options for configuring it. There are 3-4 different "levels" of GAT, which stress the memory to varying degrees, which will in turn net you more memory bandwidth.....if you're feeding your dimms enough power and they're "strong" enough to take the stressfull conditions that GAT can introduce. When it comes to a couple of the higher "levels" of GAT, it can end up limiting your overclock.....but usually memory will either take it, or it won't.....as the more stressfull settings that you can apply for GAT are far to much for more memory to handle.

Sadly, the two of us are left with only enable and disable for our options....but be thankfull, PAT works, and it's ridiculously easy to "work with" and setup. You are perfectly able to run your memory in DC with PAT disabled....but hoenstly, I dont know why you'd turn it off. ;)

When getting to 285MHz FSb and above with a 2.4c, should one consider upgrading from the stock heatsink and fan on the Northbridge?
I have an IC7, so my northbridge atleast has a little 40mm on it cooling the heatsink, but the heatsink is terribly small.

In two days I'll have my watercooling setup up and going, but I only got a CPU and GPU waterblock (both swiftech).
I'm hoping that I can atleast get 3.5ghz out of my 2.4 (i'm at 3.3ghz right now on air), but I'm worried about the temps/stability of my northbridge, since it's the only thing lacking in good cooling.
I'd rather not go through the trouble of adding an addition block in my loop (especially since I read WC'ing the NB is sorta overkill), so I was thinking about the Thermalright NB-1 (or NB-1C if I can find it for a decent price). Think that will do the job to ensure NB stability/coolness during the push fo 3.5-3.6ghz? It looks to be a really good sized heatsink for a Northbridge and has a decent little Delta 45mm fan on it as well.

All I'm running is a 120mm fan on the side window. My northbridge has a heat sink only.
I run a 120mm bottom fan also. Gives a good swirling effct at the NB. I reach in and grabbed it earlier and it was only warm. My maine concern is the processor. Even with my great liquid cooling at these speeds I am seeing 42C at idle. At 295 fsb I was seeing 31C.
I am going to cool my liquid even more!

WZ

Dude, I realise you're overclocked through the roof right now, but a 42C idle is a bit much for water cooling.....either your setup just isn't capable of the higher loads or you should stop now.....because if you're idling at 42C on water, just think of what it'd be on air and what kind of stability issues you'd be running into.

It's weird is all, I had just never seen idle temps that high on h2O with a nicely overclocked P4.....not in a good while anyways.

cornelious0_0 said:
Dude, I realise you're overclocked through the roof right now, but a 42C idle is a bit much for water cooling.....either your setup just isn't capable of the higher loads or you should stop now.....because if you're idling at 42C on water, just think of what it'd be on air and what kind of stability issues you'd be running into.

It's weird is all, I had just never seen idle temps that high on h2O with a nicely overclocked P4.....not in a good while anyways.

I agree. What are the parts in your setup WeldZilla? Mine handled a 3.0C @ 4ghz with 1.75v at 33C idle and 39-40C under load.

cornelious0_0 said:
....but a 600fps result is NOT possible by simply installing the game and setting it to 640x480 medium. Please state exactly what settings you were using......which is why I find it extremely hard to believe that you're hitting 600 by just running at 640res with everything else on medium/normal fullscreen.
This is system bottlenecked. Having a 300Mhz FSB with 3:2 ratio and 2-2-2-5 settings for low latency I believe is the key. Plus, I did change some settings to maximize the FPS and to take out soundcard drivers as a variable. If you set all things to the same as mine, its really a system benchmark.

game options: simple items: on, everything else: off
set to normal 640x480 (default settings for that setting)
s_initsound 0
snd_restart
(those 2 lines in console turn sound off)
timedemo 1
demo four

Post your results with set-up

Edit: PS. I dont appreciate you calling me a liar! :mad:

Back