1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

Hey guys,

thanks for the amazing stuff you provide, I recently got my X5650 and got it too 4,2 ghz thanks to this thread.

I have a question though, I got two LGA 1366 boards, a ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 and a Gigabyte G1 Guerillia. Which one do you guys recommend for overclocking? I had troubles with the G1 on my I7 920 since it has much more voltages settings than the p6t....
The Easy answer: Leave good enough alone if its rock solid stable. It pretty close to the same board im using and your reaching the same speed as i, even with a lower multiplier! Dress it up and call it a day!:)

yea x58 was a HUGE performance jump all the way around, although a tad pricey in the beginning but was well worth it. I came all the way from AMD Dual-Core Opteron setup back in 2009 (shit im going on 7 years now lol holly fuck)

I remember Microcenter having great deals on i7-920. Like an idiot I drove to the nearest Microcenter in Westbury on Long Island and bought Q9550. Stupid is as stupid does.

Yeah, if a lot more people figure this out, we could all be in trouble ;).

the market price for a x5550 or e5620 is $6, what's the point of buying any i3 cpu even when those would clobber the i3 in multithread? The only thing is that even though ram and cpu price has gone down a lot, the MB hasn't keep pace for some reason ;(

I think Intel did figure it out, that is why they locked down the v4 series CPU, and next will require a server class chipset to run a Xeon CPU.
Not sure when, but there will be no more Xeons on a regular desktop motherboard,
I have to look around again to see where I red that. I'll post a link when I find it.

I wouldn't be surprised. E3 Xeons (ex Skylake) now require special chipset (ie server) to run. Intel doesn't want to lose money by consumers buying a regular consumer chipset and buying used server pull Xeons.

There is no doubt in my mind Intel was hurt some by the X56xx and E5-16xx v1 v2 and v3, E5-2670 server pulls cutting into new i7-xxxxx sales.

Damn Youtubers giving away all the secrets :p, if it hadn't been so mainstream it might have gone on longer :).

Still working on joining the club myself with an X5650. I recently got a GA-EX58-UD4P that has a couple issues, waiting on a i7 920 so I can update BIOS and start troubleshooting the board (powers on randomly after applying power and playing with all the buttons, it's weird.)

But I also got a Rampage III Formula for just over $100 :), it's "untested" but if any issues arise I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Should arrive Saturday, 12 thread bliss awaits!!

I settled on 4.3ghz, which is a pretty nice OC. I could boot and poke around at 4.5 but decided it wasn't worth the effort. For some reason if I set my ram at more than 1.6 in bios windows won't recognize it. Doesn't seem to be an issue for overclocking though. My ram default says 1.65.

Yep. I posted more details earlier in this thread when I first installed mine a couple of months ago. One of the rare times when everything went smoother than expected. I was upgrading to a clean install of Win 10 for the first time - just popped the 950 pro into a cheap $5 eBay PCIe adapter, booted up, and installed Win 10 from a USB drive with no problems. Boots up in less than 15 seconds now.

You happen to have a link of the PCIe adapter you bought off ebay?

Yep. I posted more details earlier in this thread when I first installed mine a couple of months ago. One of the rare times when everything went smoother than expected. I was upgrading to a clean install of Win 10 for the first time - just popped the 950 pro into a cheap $5 eBay PCIe adapter, booted up, and installed Win 10 from a USB drive with no problems. Boots up in less than 15 seconds now.

Hopefully the 960 has the same compatibility.

Hopefully the 960 has the same compatibility.

Would be great if they did, if only because the 960 series seem to be better priced than the 950's. Performance wise, on X58 you're going to be limited by PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. I'm already bandwidth limited in some situations with the 256GB 950 Pro.

Would be great if they did, if only because the 960 series seem to be better priced than the 950's. Performance wise, on X58 you're going to be limited by PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. I'm already bandwidth limited in some situations with the 256GB 950 Pro.

I'm mainly interested in the thermal improvements, at some point in 2017 I'll retire the xeons and migrate to an itx build (probably soon after my Dancase arrives)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Still working on joining the club myself with an X5650. I recently got a GA-EX58-UD4P that has a couple issues, waiting on a i7 920 so I can update BIOS and start troubleshooting the board (powers on randomly after applying power and playing with all the buttons, it's weird.)

But I also got a Rampage III Formula for just over $100 :), it's "untested" but if any issues arise I shouldn't have too much of a problem. Should arrive Saturday, 12 thread bliss awaits!!

If you get that UD4P sorted out I'd be interested to hear how it does with the x5650, particularly in regards to overclocking if you try it. I've been considering getting a x56XX to replace the 920 in my UD4P but I've seen conflicting(and scarce) information on whether it can be overclocked with that board.

So far the UD4P board has given me nothing but issues. Can't get video most of the time, and it still has the power on issue. I thought I had it for a while, I as using a cheap XEON E5502 and it worked fine, I installed windows and updated the BIOS. Then the next day it has the same power issue, and even when it booted I didn't get video. I've tested an i7 920 and plenty of different ram. Throwing up my hands at this point, and it's pretty rare to see me give up on a motherboard.

But....

The Rampage III Formula board has been running like a champ (once I stopped using ram slot A1, it would shut off randomly and would boot in a loop before posting). Got as far as 3.9GHZ, but backed down to 3.3GHZ to keep temps under 70C at full load. Do you guys have any recommendations for a cheapish cooler to get 4GHZ without temps over 70C? I'm even considering an "all in one" water cooling system. Also looking to upgrade to case with better airflow.

Again I should stress that I am cheap, the Rampage board cost me $115 shipped and the Antec Truepower 650 cost me 35$.

I gave my Rampage III Extreme and X5670 to someone to build a PC for my father in law and the X5670 came back dead :cry:

Purchased a 960 to replace it but I'm not particularly happy about it. My other X5670 is still going strong in the work server but I'm tempted to replace it as I have a couple of E5 Xeons kicking around after a recent upgrade to my home server.

Case looks fairly small, I'm running a CM Hyper 212 + with a server Matsushita (Panasonic) exhaust fan on the heatsink, bit loud but keeps my L5640's under 73'C under full load.

I've been using the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 240 with my X5670. I don't think I've seen temps go over 68C on the hottest core under full load.

I've been using the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 240 with my X5670. I don't think I've seen temps go over 68C on the hottest core under full load.

Dont laugh. Im using a Xeon 5650 and a Corsair H60, and the highest my temp ever got after an all day summer marathon was 43. Usually, it hovers been 34c and 38c on most hot days, but will actually stay in the upper 20's during winter. (And thats OC'd to 4.2 with Vcore at 1.36

So far the UD4P board has given me nothing but issues. Can't get video most of the time, and it still has the power on issue. I thought I had it for a while, I as using a cheap XEON E5502 and it worked fine, I installed windows and updated the BIOS. Then the next day it has the same power issue, and even when it booted I didn't get video. I've tested an i7 920 and plenty of different ram. Throwing up my hands at this point, and it's pretty rare to see me give up on a motherboard.

But....

<image snip>

The Rampage III Formula board has been running like a champ (once I stopped using ram slot A1, it would shut off randomly and would boot in a loop before posting). Got as far as 3.9GHZ, but backed down to 3.3GHZ to keep temps under 70C at full load. Do you guys have any recommendations for a cheapish cooler to get 4GHZ without temps over 70C? I'm even considering an "all in one" water cooling system. Also looking to upgrade to case with better airflow.

Again I should stress that I am cheap, the Rampage board cost me $115 shipped and the Antec Truepower 650 cost me 35$.

Reven Justice.

[H] just reviewed it and gave it an enthusiastic gold. All that performance for $40, and should fit your socket.

Hi guys, I really need help with overclocking, I have got x5675 cpu with p6t se motherboard, I got now 4.2GHz 1.336V 25x168bclk this OC is really easy but Im aiming for at least 4.7GHz or 4.8GHz even If I would need corevoltage up to 1.5v for my 144hz monitor with gtx 1070 i just bought.
The problem I've got is it seems like bsod's I'm getting are memory related (one of them when I was checking google somebody responded on some forum it's 99.9% memory related) even tho i was running 1.4vtt.
Mostly what i get is sometimes freezes, sometimes prime95 crushing, sometimes bsod.
The reason im worried is im using p6t se bios which doesn't have option for QPI pll, i was trying to find something similar that may be it but named differently. It really concerns me because in guide I seen it's really key part Overclocking the X58, a practical guide
I got 2x4GB ram 2x hyperx 1.5v 1600mhz cl9. Just when I was writing this post I checked memory and it seems this cl9 is a scam? I got 2 sticks of this http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX316C9SR_4.pdf and it says cl(idd) 11cycles jedec ddr3-1600 cl11-11-11 @1.5V XMP profile #1 ddr3-1600 CL9-9-9 @1.5V.
I will test some settings with 11cl.
Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, I really need help with overclocking, I have got x5675 cpu with p6t se motherboard, I got now 4.2GHz 1.336V 25x168bclk this OC is really easy but Im aiming for at least 4.7GHz or 4.8GHz even If I would need corevoltage up to 1.5v for my 144hz monitor with gtx 1070 i just bought.
The problem I've got is it seems like bsod's I'm getting are memory related (one of them when I was checking google somebody responded on some forum it's 99.9% memory related) even tho i was running 1.4vtt.
Mostly what i get is sometimes freezes, sometimes prime95 crushing, sometimes bsod.
The reason im worried is im using p6t se bios which doesn't have option for QPI pll, i was trying to find something similar that may be it but named differently. It really concerns me because in guide I seen it's really key part Overclocking the X58, a practical guide
I got 2x4GB ram 2x hyperx 1.5v 1600mhz cl9. Just when I was writing this post I checked memory and it seems this cl9 is a scam? I got 2 sticks of this http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/HX316C9SR_4.pdf and it says cl(idd) 11cycles jedec ddr3-1600 cl11-11-11 @1.5V XMP profile #1 ddr3-1600 CL9-9-9 @1.5V.
I will test some settings with 11cl.
Thanks in advance.

4.7-4.8ghz is going to be tough unless you have a golden chip, and even if you do, you'd probably be limited by that board. Those kind of overclocks pull a LOT of power and that six phase board will have trouble putting out clean power at that level.

What makes you think you need those kind of clocks?

I'd start with more reasonable clocks and work your way up if you have some extreme cooling. Shoot for 4.4ghz at around ~1.4v. Try to stay under 1.4v 24/7.

4.7-4.8ghz is going to be tough unless you have a golden chip, and even if you do, you'd probably be limited by that board. Those kind of overclocks pull a LOT of power and that six phase board will have trouble putting out clean power at that level.

What makes you think you need those kind of clocks?

I'd start with more reasonable clocks and work your way up if you have some extreme cooling. Shoot for 4.4ghz at around ~1.4v. Try to stay under 1.4v 24/7.

Like I said im using 144hz monitor with gtx 1070, in some games I see my gpu usage dropping up to 80% just in some places. Every bit will help in those cpu places.
Oh, yea, being limited by the power on the board perfectly fits, sometimes i get restarts when trying to push 4.7, 4.8 GHz, I don't think that you need golden chip for that, just high voltage.
I will be try aiming 4.5GHz and 4.6GHz now then. Im actually currently running 25x176 @4.4GHz 1.4v with load line calibration and c1e (I had my pc running all day and night when sleeping, seems all stable. Idk how it works and why is that but in idle I got voltage up to 1.384v when in load it drops to 1.352v. next thing I don't understand is using 25 multiplayer, in some tests like Small FFTs or cinebench r15 multiplayer goes down to 23, no matter temperature, should I change it to 23x then? I don't want it to drop randomly in some intense workloads.
Thanks for answer :)

Like I said im using 144hz monitor with gtx 1070, in some games I see my gpu usage dropping up to 80% just in some places. Every bit will help in those cpu places.
Oh, yea, being limited by the power on the board perfectly fits, sometimes i get restarts when trying to push 4.7, 4.8 GHz, I don't think that you need golden chip for that, just high voltage.
I will be try aiming 4.5GHz and 4.6GHz now then. Im actually currently running 25x176 @4.4GHz 1.4v with load line calibration and c1e (I had my pc running all day and night when sleeping, seems all stable. Idk how it works and why is that but in idle I got voltage up to 1.384v when in load it drops to 1.352v. next thing I don't understand is using 25 multiplayer, in some tests like Small FFTs or cinebench r15 multiplayer goes down to 23, no matter temperature, should I change it to 23x then? I don't want it to drop randomly in some intense workloads.

So if you say, drop to 3.5ghz or so you then get significantly lower framerates compared to say 4.2ghz? Just because the GPU is dropping to 80% does not necessarily mean you are CPU bound.

Well, 1.5v can kill a chip pretty quickly... Maybe within weeks for 24/7 usage, especially at high temperatures.

That board does not support high TDP turbo multiplier, so you'll be limited to 23x in high load situations. I'm not sure if you can crossflash that board like you could with the P6T Deluxe to get that feature, maybe someone else can chime in.

He can look up cross flash from P6T to P6T worsktation there is a bunch of info out there on it.
My P6T Deluxe V2 drops down under real heavy load like BOINC primegrid but not under BIONC WCG

1.5v plus the .05v spike every time the CPU loads and unloads will be 1.55v
Keep us posted as to how well it does with that much voltage.

Thanks for you guys help!
I did crossflash and now I can enjoy with 25x multiplayer :)
For now im sitting 25x184 @4.6GHz with 1.45v LLC enable prime95 stable. probably gonna check lower voltages soon.
I have tried 25x188 @4.7GHz but even with 1.5v i get bsods only when idle, I have tried to change vtt/qpi voltage to 1.375 but it didn't worked. Any suggestions why could this be?
About 80% gpu load, I know it's cpu, I tested games just to see can it handle to make at least 100 stable fps, now with 4.6GHz I got 100% gpu load 98% of time
I checked 2 games in 4.6GHz and stock, shadow of mordor and gta V.
In shadow of mordor with ultra I haven't had great difference, but it's damn reconizeable, many times dropping below 100fps instead of dropping to 105fps while 4.6GHz but because gpu bottleneck. In GTA V I was dropping below 60fps, usually strolling around between 60-80fps, never having 100% load on gpu oposed to 4.6GHz same settings not dropping below 80fps with always good gpu usage.
What things you mean can make your gpu load dropping to 80%?
What I can think of is cpu not making enough frames, bad optimalization and when you turn down all your graphics card settings to the lowest to have like 20% gpu load which I'm not xD (but that is also because cpu is not making enough frames to much gpu)
Thank you guys again very much, I have been strugling with that multiplayer trying using google so many times without result :)

Any power conscientious overclockers? Just picked up an x5650 to replace the i7 920 c0 in the 24/7 server box. With electricity being this expensive (~30c/kwh), it's not feasible to go for high clocks (without a cherry chip).

It's been a while since I've played with the 920, but IIRC with optimal vcores, it drew under load:
~85w at 3ghz
~130w at 3.6ghz
~180w at 3.8ghz
4ghz required far too much vcore, and temps were already unmanageable at 180w (hyper 212+). This was according to hwmonitor (seem to have misplaced the killawatt). It's been too long so I don't remember voltages, but I believe they were in the upper 1.2s / low 1.3s.

With this x5650 (3129B799), it looks like it can do:
50w at 3ghz (0.86v)
80w at 3.6ghz (1v)
120w at 4ghz (1.17v)
I'm sure any higher would consume excessive power. These are reported voltages under load.
I can settle with 120w for now, and if it turns out I don't need that much power, 3ghz sure looks nice at 50w loaded (8.3w/core!!).
FWIW, I doubt it'd see much time at all fully loaded, so these really are worst case numbers.

Great buy at ~$45 shipped on ebay.

Seem to be completely uncomplicated to overclock. With everything at normal voltages, I can push the bus to 200mhz and uncore to 3.2ghz (1600mhz ram). With the bloomfield, it needed a slight nudge to vtt.

If you want more out of the 1070, sell the X58 lot and buy something more newer. Despite how nice the hex Xeon's can be when overclocked they are starting to show there age and efficiency (power draw, heat output/temps, stability and the fact you have to push them to high boundaries to keep up with mildly overclocked new stuff for day to day general use and some light threaded applications) compared to the new stuff.

That said my spare L5640 came, 3.6 @ 1.3v and a pair of Corsair XMS 1333mhz DDR3 modules at 1652mhz (mobo hangs on POST lower RAM 800MHZ ratio, currently on 1066mhz). 791 Cinebench CPU score. Still a good +/- 40% slower than my sig rig CB cpu score.

EVGA X58 boards are shit clockers and have major stability problems, of all X58's chipset boards I have had (20+) from various mnfr, the original Asus R2/3E/Formula, Sabertooth and Gigabyte G1 Assassin boards have been the best clockers I've experienced to date. My old L5640's had no issues at 4ghz on my old R2 and 3E at 1.35v 12 hr LinX/OCCT 1.3.0/3.0 Perestroika, IBT and PRIME95 stable.

HEY HEY guys!

I just got my hands on a couple Xeon X5650s for free.

I am currently running my i7-920 at 4.2ish daily, max at 78C

Going to swap that out for testing, and see how high I can crank this xeon!

I know my board MAY OR MAY NOT support xeon, not a big deal, this is more for fun.

Two questions:
1:) Has anyone OC'd this before? I know there are google searches blah blah blah, but hoping for some 1-on-1 with someone who has done it
2) Assuming I dont mind destroying this CPU, what voltages will damage other parts of my machine? I will keep my ram @1.65v, but can VCore, QPI/PLL, other voltages cause damage to the motherboard, PCI cards, RAM, etc?

Thanks guys!

*EDIT*, Yes, people have OC'd this, just looked up UGGHHHHH sometimes i need to read.
Any advice?

Set your RAM voltage to whatever voltage your RAM modules are rated for. If you run into a stability issue then increase vcore and vdimm voltage by +0.25 but be below the 1.65v IMC limit.

The X5650 can do 4ghz no problem assuming you have a good board and good cooling. My last settings from memory on a Rampage III Extreme was 1.34vcore, 1600mhz DDR3 ram set to 1066mhz ratio, 1.55vdimm (for a 1.5v rated Corsair XMS module) and ioh and everything else was on auto. Speedstep disabled, C3 enabled, C1E disabled (or you can disable the whole lot together and turbo multiplier will always be on depending on how many cores active).

Set your RAM voltage to whatever voltage your RAM modules are rated for. If you run into a stability issue then increase vcore and vdimm voltage by +0.25 but be below the 1.65v IMC limit.

The X5650 can do 4ghz no problem assuming you have a good board and good cooling. My last settings from memory on a Rampage III Extreme was 1.34vcore, 1600mhz DDR3 ram set to 1066mhz ratio, 1.55vdimm (for a 1.5v rated Corsair XMS module) and ioh and everything else was on auto. Speedstep disabled, C3 enabled, C1E disabled (or you can disable the whole lot together and turbo multiplier will always be on depending on how many cores active).

I have experience OCing on X58 in general, I have had an i7-950, and 2 i7-920s. I have a Rampage III Formula, and a corsair H70 with P/P and shrouds, idle temps around 30C, OCCT at high 70s

Okay. so 1.65 IMC, is that the same as PLL/vtt?
vdimm im not worried about, my ram has been running 1.65 4ever.

For the first CPU, I literally want to go AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE, I'd like to try to break 5GHz.
I don't care if I blow that CPU up after.

My question is more about max safe voltage for the motherboard, than for the CPU.
Thanks!

I have experience OCing on X58 in general, I have had an i7-950, and 2 i7-920s. I have a Rampage III Formula, and a corsair H70 with P/P and shrouds, idle temps around 30C, OCCT at high 70s

Okay. so 1.65 IMC, is that the same as PLL/vtt?
vdimm im not worried about, my ram has been running 1.65 4ever.

For the first CPU, I literally want to go AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE, I'd like to try to break 5GHz.
I don't care if I blow that CPU up after.

My question is more about max safe voltage for the motherboard, than for the CPU.
Thanks!

IMC = Integrated Memory Controller which is built into 1366 CPU's since Bloomfield/Nehalem. Intel spec sheets states 1.65v is the highest and safest boundaries otherwise you will fry your RAM modules during long term over-voltage. You would hit motherboard boundaries before you hit CPU boundaries if you're attempting to overclock the shit out of it with high voltage and high clock settings. To go past beyond normal overclock speeds on air or water you need sub-zero cooling and some physical modifications to increase and improve power supply on the motherboard.

The max safe voltage for the motherboard is determined by how well its cooled (if you have custom copper pots and cooling to NB/SB/VRM's around CPU with sub-zero cooling) you will be to get past 5ghz even with a D0 stepping i7 9xx series cpu.

I feel a temptation to just let people destroy their perfectly usable mobo because they put their hands on some free xeons.
But the old, good, [H]ard me will not let it:
Your mobo will fry long before you reach the limits of the CPU. This is is true for all Xeons 1366, doubly so for the low multiplier ones like the X5650, which requires higher BCLKs to reach the same OCs of high multiplier chips like the X5675/5680s.
Higher BCLK= higher power demand on the motherboard= bye bye old but perfectly functional X58 mobo.

I feel a temptation to just let people destroy their perfectly usable mobo because they put their hands on some free xeons.
Your mobo will fry long before you reach the limits of the CPU. This is is true for all Xeons 1366, doubly so for the low multiplier ones like the X5650, which requires higher BCLKs to reach the same OCs of high multiplier chips like the X5675/5680s.
Higher BCLK= higher power demand on the motherboard= bye bye old but perfectly functional X58 mobo.
Sure Its not the [ S ]oft in you :p, every overclocker has heard the "could cause irreparable damage" disclaimer, but still chooses to do so. I killed an Nvidia 6800 way back in the day and learned to be more careful / conservative.

In the mean time before buying a reeven heats ink / fan, I found a corsair h50 all-in-one water cooler with two coolermaster fans for $20. Had to buy the Intel mounting hardware for $11 on ebay. Figured it was worth a shot, the fans alone were worth $20.

Also bought a case for $40 and that has helped Temps a good bit, mostly for gfx card (GTX780 I picked up for $115) and the IOH and ICH.

Last edited:
lol i will say to high of pll voltage WILL kill your xeon cpu no problem while leaving the board fine.....havent done it myself but the stories are out there...so yea it depends on what voltages exactly your messing with to be sure

^ that and too stupidly high of a vcore can possibly kill your cpu leaving the board fine. Did it to a few q6600, qx9650 and i7 860 back in the day.

It's not you. I had this board initially from when I first built my i7 920 back in early 2009. The highest I ever got with an X5650 was 3.6 GHz. That was done with both BIOS and Easy Tune, and dropping from 6 sticks to 3 sticks of RAM.

I ended up soon after buying an X58A-UD3R, which happily is running the same chip at 4.4 GHz with a full 24GB of RAM in 6 sticks.

Gigabyte "claims" compatibility with 32nm 6-core but I really think they didn't test it much at all.

Well I appreciate your help no matter the temptation.

I ended up NOT wrecking anything, and am working on a 4.5GHz OC.

I am very stable at 4.2, I will post my settings soon, but I am hoping that I can reach 4.5.

Sadly, I think my hold up, even if I get stable, will be temps. with just an H70, 4.2 ghz in prime95 hit 83C.

IMHO I can drop some voltages and still be stable, but we shall see :)

I just really like my ASUS R3F, and don't want to blow it up!

Back