1366 x58 Xeon Enthusiast overclocks club

My 29$ E5645 hexcore came today. A bit let down, it has the highest multiplier I can get on all cores is 19.
It overclocks well I have it at 19 x 203 for 1863 I think, 100% load BOINV WCG at 1.29v it is in the low 40c with a H110 AIO water cooler.
So I guess I'll find a cheap x5660 or 75 and drop this in my dual socket with the E5649. They will run WCG at each CPUs rated speed. 1 core to 1 work unit.
If I do some work like SMP, all cores on one work unit, the cores will run at the slowest CPUs top speed. I am OK with that for now.

19 x 203 is 3857 not 1863. Going from 2.4 to 3.8 is a great overclock for that CPU. If you want multiplier choices, you need an X56xx series cpu.

19 x 203 is 3857 not 1863. Going from 2.4 to 3.8 is a great overclock for that CPU. If you want multiplier choices, you need an X56xx series cpu.

Are you a teacher with the red marker? lol I was going by memory.

Yeah it is not a bad chip at all for the price.29$. Talk about bang for the buck!!
I have so far used the x5650, x5660, E5620, E5645, E5649 and W3680.
The x5660 and w3680 have gone to 4.2 with voltage at 1.30 or less primegrid mid to low 50c with a H110 AIO water cooler.

I believe he was confused on why you thought it was going to be a let down. limited multiplier x200 you could almost guess what the max you could do with that CPU

I got 22 with the E5649 and when I tried to go lower to an even multiplier, all I could get was 19. As in my earlier post.
So I picked up the E5645 hoping the 19 multi would give me a 21 with turbo. But that is not the case. That is why I was a bit let down.
I suppose I could of quoted my earlier post so there was no confusion, sorry about that.
All in all for 29$ if someone had a 930 quad core, either one of those CPUs is the bargain of the year!!!

Sorry about the confusion.

Finally found a solution for my Chipset temps, They were always high (60C to 65C under a good load), I tried a small 40MM fan which didn't help at all. So I tried a 80MM fan supported by the GFX card and held in place by the water lines. It's not pretty but it's a huge improvement. Idle temp (Folding on light 6 cores) settled at 44C IOH and 41C ICH (y). Currently at 3.2Ghz, but I was waiting on better Chipset temps before pushing it further

I wasn't expecting this much of an improvement!

I did something similar for my mobo. I use a blower-style fan which i've undervolted to avoid the banshee screaming, and placed in between the CPU cooler and the GPU. Works like a charm :D

Just wanted to update and add a few things and ask a couple of questions.

Finally upgraded my i7-950

Asus P6T SE Rev.1 board with asus 908 bios worked for me coming from i7 950 to x5675 no issues. I never could confirm that P6T se on rev 1 board would work with these xeons, and even found reference within these pages of what looked like it wouldn't without a different boards bios or micro code added. Just wanted to confirm x5675 costa rica did for me, on 908 bios alone, on this board.

I have 2 questions I cant really find an answer to and hope someone might be able to help.

1. Can these xeons handle 3 x 8 sticks of ram? I'm under the impression that though the i7 chips for 1366 could only address 4 gig sticks (limitation to its chip technology) but that the xeons could address full 8 gig sticks, maybe it was only on the x5675 chip because of how much later it came out. Cant "re-find" any info to why I think this, though it makes me think that's why the boards never officially supported 8s possibly because of that? Anyone try 3x8 on x56xx (x5675), and not on WS boards? Or am I totally misunderstanding how these chips are able to handle or address ram sticks..?

(preface, I have read many, many OC guides for lga 1366 xeons yet I cant find a definitive way to think on this question...I'm sure Primetimes or others covered it but ill ask again, if its already been adressed... sorry.)
2. What should I be shooting for high/low multiplier with high/low blck, this chip goes up to 26mult maybe 27 with certain settings I think. 4.2ish is my target with stability and longevity in mind. I cant wrap my head around what combo would be the safest least stressful for the system in general.

Some info of where I'm at on this:

All stock settings less setting blck to 165, I think it gets up to 3.8ish @26mult turbo ddr3 @ 14xx something I think, real temp 28ish-31c across all cores, prime stable. 24c ish room temp. (edit: I haven't tried anything more till I have a better understanding of the pros and cons for blck/mult settings)

I'm using corsair psu h850 gold, thermaltake 240 2.0 water, currently 3x4 gskill 1600 cas8 1t ( obviously want 3x8 instead) running a 290x and a 970 ssc (looking at 1070 or 1080 in januaryish fairly certain 4.2ghz on this chipset wont bottle neck 1 of these cards) they both run about the same atm, 250 corsair ssd os drive, in a antec 900. Just a side note I have air flow on the north and south bridge and over the VRMs.

Thanks for any info.
and be Merry x58ers ;)

Last edited:
Yep I also run 3 x 8GB + 3 x 4GB and didnt have to drop my OC even one bit. Amazing CPU!
Thank you guys!

As fare as my second question I realize its a complicated one and their are benefits to how you use mult/blck but do you guys have any advice of pushing for one way or another...obviously I'm lucky with ax5675s multiplier range.

shaolin95 I'm using the same cooler how are your temps at 4.5 out of curiosity.

Thank you guys!

As fare as my second question I realize its a complicated one and their are benefits to how you use mult/blck but do you guys have any advice of pushing for one way or another...obviously I'm lucky with ax5675s multiplier range.

shaolin95 I'm using the same cooler how are your temps at 4.5 out of curiosity.
ITs been a while since I have tried torturing the chip to check TEMPS lol
I will check it out and let you know. BTW, if you are on Windows 10, are you getting the app to work to control the cooler? I got it working once but it was pure luck.

ITs been a while since I have tried torturing the chip to check TEMPS lol
I will check it out and let you know. BTW, if you are on Windows 10, are you getting the app to work to control the cooler? I got it working once but it was pure luck.
win 7 here atm and just running no software atm, and lol no I didn't mean torture it lol :) I actually thought to re ask. Just gaming temps in general:)

What do you guys think of these settings?

Asus P6T
Xeon 5660
3 * 4GB DDR3 10600

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 117
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 187
What do you guys think of these settings?

Asus P6T
Xeon 5660
3 * 4GB DDR3 10600

I personally would go into the memory settings/ timing and manually set them to what ever your ram is rated for. 1333hhz, "see where it goes to when you raise BCLK" and IE: 9-9-9-25 try 1T-1N
I would also set your uncore/uclk to 2 x ram speed or one click under.
Also set the qpi link rate one setting faster than slow mode.
Keep CPU and VTT under 1.35V
If running SLi you can raise IOH ICH to 1.2v
Keep CPU PLL at 1.8

Don't be supprized if you see one or two cores way warmer than the rest, almost every CPU does it.

That's how I set all my x58 systems and they seem to run well.

Hey All, just want to throw this out. I'm selling my Asus P6T7 WS SuperComputer if anyone is interested in purchasing. Includes the Debug Add In and IO Shield. PM if interested. Also have 6x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 Ram and an X5650.

Picked up an E5649 hexcore for around 35$ on ebay. These e5645-49 are as low as 29$
Not bad bang for the buck. It is at 100% load and 48-51c

e56494ghz.jpg

Hey X58'ers- I'm planning to move to a 144hz monitor, debating on 1080p or 1440p, mainly for FPS gaming (overwatch) and wondering about what sort of GPU horsepower I'd need for each. I tend to err on the side of 'too much power' as I believe it is the best $ spend per FPS and would also like it to offset my older CPU. I'm looking at anything between Nvidia GTX 1060 and the Titan XP (or more likely 1080TI when/if that happens).

Do any of you guys use and game with 144hz hardware? If I did 1440p I'd likely go gsync, with 1080p I think it's more likely I maintain the 144hz threshold. Thanks for the thoughts!

Hey X58'ers- I'm planning to move to a 144hz monitor, debating on 1080p or 1440p, mainly for FPS gaming (overwatch) and wondering about what sort of GPU horsepower I'd need for each. I tend to err on the side of 'too much power' as I believe it is the best $ spend per FPS and would also like it to offset my older CPU. I'm looking at anything between Nvidia GTX 1060 and the Titan XP (or more likely 1080TI when/if that happens).

Do any of you guys use and game with 144hz hardware? If I did 1440p I'd likely go gsync, with 1080p I think it's more likely I maintain the 144hz threshold. Thanks for the thoughts!

TBH if you plan to go 120+hz I then DEF upgrade the CPU. Not saying the Xeons wouldnt work, but to take advantage of 120/144hz you need the best minimum framerates you can get. Now a lot of the new Intel CPU's would work since their IPC is higher. But I would hold off until Zen arrives to see how well it does.

In the meantime. If you want the best framerate (take the CPU out of the equation) you will need at minimum a 1080. I would almost say 2 1080 (IMO If I had the money go single card titan XP). If you are going 1080p then yea I would just go with 1, if you plan to do 1440p 120/144hz gaming at LEAST 2 1080 GTX's. It will take more GPU (and CPU) horsepower.

Also to note it depends on your game selection too. Just know that going 1080/1440p 120/144hz takes a lot of powah!

I'd like to stay single GPU on X58 if possible. The game is overwatch and gtx1080 with their 6700 at 4ghz appear to max it above 144fps
GPU Scaling http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page3.html

CPU Scaling http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page5.html

It appears doable as our CPUs do fairiy well compared to their list. I only recently considered 1440p mainly because it's so damn pretty and I've made some money off of my Nvidia stock :). I haven't had a flagship GPU since the GeForce 2 ultra

Last edited:
I'd like to stay single GPU on X58 if possible. The game is overwatch and gtx1080 with their 6700 at 4ghz appear to max it above 144fps
GPU Scaling http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page3.html

CPU Scaling http://www.techspot.com/amp/review/1180-overwatch-benchmarks/page5.html

It appears doable as our CPUs do fairiy well compared to their list. I only recently considered 1440p mainly because it's so damn pretty and I've made some money off of my Nvidia stock :). I haven't had a flagship GPU since the GeForce 2 ultra

You if overwatch is the only game you want to be over 144fps then yea 1 1080. If you worry about games in the future a Titan XP might be your best bet.

But yea you should be fine with overwatch.

Confirmed that on X58, 4.0 ghz and 1080gtx that Overwatch runs 1080p and 160 fps maxed out settings + 150% setting. Plenty of headroom to play with. I'm locked at 120 fps though due to monitor limitations running the lightstrobe hack.

soo im finally getting around to playing with my x5670 and my evga x58 FTW3 132-gt-e768-tr, I have a corsair h80i v2 ill be sticking on this setup... what kind of OC numbers do you think ill be looking at? its been a while since ive played with 1366 and OCing... since my early adopter i7 920 c0 lol not even the d0 stepping!

soo im finally getting around to playing with my x5670 and my evga x58 FTW3 132-gt-e768-tr, I have a corsair h80i v2 ill be sticking on this setup... what kind of OC numbers do you think ill be looking at? its been a while since ive played with 1366 and OCing... since my early adopter i7 920 c0 lol not even the d0 stepping!
I'd say 4.0 to 4.6 seems to be the average range for x5670's depending on your setup and sample. While I'd like mine to be a bit higher than 4.2, I realize that 300mhz won't do much, the 6 cores is nice :)

Finally upgraded after my Evga x58 matx died a few months back. X58 + x5680 was truly the best Cpu+Chipset combo I've ever owned.

b45262c0-b508-44e8-9899-836010fcf2b1.jpg

I have an

ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution mobo
12GB RAM
Xeon x5675 overclocked to 4.0GHz

I came from a i7-920 to a i7-960 then now 2 months ago went to the x5675.

the processor was so cheap I couldn't resist. But now my lack of SATA3 or other newer tech is holding me back. I guess I could just buy upgrade cards.

I am now at 4.2GHz stable @ an easy 1.295 core voltage. Will try 4.4 next.

I am a couple years late on this thread, but I need some advice. I am currently using an I7-920 (since 2010) on a Gigabyte x58 UD5 and I am looking for a temporary upgrade.
I will eventually either upgrade MB and CPU to either a Ryzen or Intel 69xx 8-10 core.
However that will mean purchasing all new memory and other parts. In the meantime even though I am GPU heavy (2x GTX 980 Ti), my 920 is a real bottleneck to the system,
and it suffers as well when rendering from Photoview 360 and any other CPU based rendering options. I would like to try a xeon to eek another 6 months to a year out of this board
and possibly give it some resale value or make it worthwhile to keep as a media server. My budget is around $200-$300 and I have found some interesting deals on the Xeon 5590 and 5690 cpus, but I am unsure what will be better/best
or if maybe some other cpu is the right one, so I am seeking help from those who have gone before me.

How do I know if a cpu has an unlocked multiplier? I have seen ebay listings with only a given factory multiplier. For example a 5690 with cp 26, should I question the seller? DO any of you have favorite sellers for these?

Thanks for all those who previously wrote on this thread, and in advance for any who answer my question. I learned a lot from reading these.
Later, Rollin.

After casually keeping an eye on this thread for a while, the question has arisen in my head. Believe you me, I'm glad to see people snapping up cheap Xeon chips and overclocking them but if you're going with a quad core variant, why not get something like an i7 965EE or other unlocked i7 of the time as price on those has gone down quite a bit? That way you have an unlocked multi and don't have to mess with bclock?

I am a couple years late on this thread, but I need some advice. I am currently using an I7-920 (since 2010) on a Gigabyte x58 UD5 and I am looking for a temporary upgrade.
I will eventually either upgrade MB and CPU to either a Ryzen or Intel 69xx 8-10 core.
However that will mean purchasing all new memory and other parts. In the meantime even though I am GPU heavy (2x GTX 980 Ti), my 920 is a real bottleneck to the system,
and it suffers as well when rendering from Photoview 360 and any other CPU based rendering options. I would like to try a xeon to eek another 6 months to a year out of this board
and possibly give it some resale value or make it worthwhile to keep as a media server. My budget is around $200-$300 and I have found some interesting deals on the Xeon 5590 and 5690 cpus, but I am unsure what will be better/best
or if maybe some other cpu is the right one, so I am seeking help from those who have gone before me.

How do I know if a cpu has an unlocked multiplier? I have seen ebay listings with only a given factory multiplier. For example a 5690 with cp 26, should I question the seller? DO any of you have favorite sellers for these?

Thanks for all those who previously wrote on this thread, and in advance for any who answer my question. I learned a lot from reading these.
Later, Rollin.

The X56XX series have multipliers you can adjust, if your motherboard supports it. 5650's are dirt cheap and many overclock to 4.2GHz. They offer a tremendous value for what you pay. Super cheap upgrade to get great speeds and extra cores.

I have 5670's and 5690's in service and at 4.2GHz I can't tell them apart. The 5690 has a higher multiplier (26) than the 5670 and gives me some flexibility when pushing it over 4.5GHz as I can drop it and push the bclk around, but I don't run it 24/7 at those speeds. So, the daily speed settings are 4.2GHz for the 5670 and 4.3GHz for the 5690. The price premium for the 5690 was huge compared to the 5670. So, if you are running stock, then maybe it's worth it - but if you are overclocking then there really isn't a reason to spend the extra money on the 5690. Get a 5650 or at most a 5670 and put the difference towards your new build.

Last edited:
Here is a quick and dirty comparison of a couple different motherboards with the same X5670 cpu and other rigs I've built using CPU-Z benchmark. The 5670 boosts to 3.3GHz.

upload_2017-1-14_14-22-34.png

After casually keeping an eye on this thread for a while, the question has arisen in my head. Believe you me, I'm glad to see people snapping up cheap Xeon chips and overclocking them but if you're going with a quad core variant, why not get something like an i7 965EE or other unlocked i7 of the time as price on those has gone down quite a bit? That way you have an unlocked multi and don't have to mess with bclock?
i7-965EE is a 45nm cpu. The problem with these 45mn cores is that have insane power consumption when overclocked. Look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-10.html extra 100W for 200MHz, and it only grows more with more hz.

i7-965EE is a 45nm cpu. The problem with these 45mn cores is that have insane power consumption when overclocked. Look at this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-10.html extra 100W for 200MHz, and it only grows more with more hz.

Fair point, never got all that into OC'ing the earlier i7's. Hell, for that matter after the Athlon XP and Pentium 4 CPU's, I personally never had much reason to OC as they were more than adequate for my needs. Only real reason I have a K series i7 now is I got it from a friend for a stupid good price. As for as OC'ing it, well, bumping the multi up a few is just so easy why not! Didn't even have to increase the voltage to get to 4.2ghz. Also good to know I have more headroom if I ever need it.

have a x5670@4ghz currently but it will run 4400 on 1.34 to hot to run that right now in the small mid-tower case it is in use it mainly for my file server, encoding, transcoding etc love it runs so much cooler then my 930 did.

have a x5670@4ghz currently but it will run 4400 on 1.34 to hot to run that right now in the small mid-tower case it is in use it mainly for my file server, encoding, transcoding etc love it runs so much cooler then my 930 did.
I'm jealous, mine needs 1.35 for 4.2 and I have good thermals!

yea its a pretty decent cpu it will run over 200 fsb even i thk i got it stable up to like 220ish.

Thanks very much for your very astute answer. I bought a x5650 for $32 and I was able to pick up some DDR3 (24G) for another $33. All I need to do now is decide on how I will cool it and if I wish to go "Water Cooling" with blocks on the CPU and both GPUs.
Any good cooling tips? Do you think it is advantageous to get a kit with water blocks for Northbridge etc? Since I have the 920 as a spare I feel confident in aggressively OCing the new CPU since they are so cheap and I can always replace it with the 920 temporrily if I fry it.
Again thanks for the response. I did not expect such a quick and well advised answer to my question on such an old thread.
Best wishes to all.

My main reason is I have an MSI motherboard (X58) and even with a bucket of KFC and my own blood to sacrifice, they hate going over 200 Bclk. So with a x5680, you get 6 physical cores, 12 with HT, 32nm process that runs cool as anything even under full load, and guaranteed 4ghz plus with a lower bclk keeping my MSI board happy.

Thanks very much for your very astute answer. I bought a x5650 for $32 and I was able to pick up some DDR3 (24G) for another $33. All I need to do now is decide on how I will cool it and if I wish to go "Water Cooling" with blocks on the CPU and both GPUs.
Any good cooling tips? Do you think it is advantageous to get a kit with water blocks for Northbridge etc? Since I have the 920 as a spare I feel confident in aggressively OCing the new CPU since they are so cheap and I can always replace it with the 920 temporrily if I fry it.
Again thanks for the response. I did not expect such a quick and well advised answer to my question on such an old thread.
Best wishes to all.

Do you find the 24gb faster, equal too, slower, or just better because more memory versus 12gb in triple channel Mode?

im not running 24 but i am 18 i can tell you its can be harder to overclock with more memory but speeds felt the same just more memory less caching needed from the hardrive.

Do you find the 24gb faster, equal too, slower, or just better because more memory versus 12gb in triple channel Mode?

Once I receive it and install it, I'll try to see what the difference is. I am only upgrading the memory mostly because windows, even win 10, (especially fast track preview that I run) bogs down after it reaches the half way point no matter how much I have.
I noticed it in other builds, with other processors and memory. They need to work on the memory management of the O.S. I typically work my PC to the bone multitasking to ridiculous levels having three-four browser instances each with 10-15 tabs and that's on a chrome based browser called "Torch".
Then I may also have my CAD program working and rendering images. Plus Youtube tabs take a lot of memory caching video content and I usually have several of those open amongst my broser tabs.
I am hoping the extra ram will just give me a little head room for my daily tasks. I'll post an update.

Back