Nintendo NX Reportedly Has "Industry-Leading" Tech, 2016 Release Date

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nintendo is sending out development kits out for what may be their most powerful console ever. If any of this is true, it’s about time—I’d love to see a truly next-gen Zelda or Star Fox game.

…sources are saying the console will come with "industry-leading chips" to ensure it can compete with PS4 and Xbox One and coax back third-party developers, as well as a "mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use".

Your going to get your wish with Zelda, it's pretty obvious why they delayed it.

Frick Nintendo.

a "mobile unit that could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use".[/I]

Translation: we haven't figured out yet why no one will buy the damn wiiu either.

Seriously.. another overpriced useless included tablet. If Nintendo releases two shitty overpriced consoles in a row due to their tablet fetish, I'm done with them until they go the way of Sega and become software only.

Translation: we haven't figured out yet why no one will buy the damn wiiu either.

Seriously.. another overpriced useless included tablet. If Nintendo releases two shitty overpriced consoles in a row due to their tablet fetish, I'm done with them until they go the way of Sega and become software only.

It really would be quite easy to win this generation. See how people are playing games on the PS4 and Xbox One, and those gimmick devices aren't working? Better hardware than either with a quality exclusive list, and hardware design that actually works rather than gimmicks, plus a working online system that's user friendly = win. Besides, the next gen Sony and Microsoft hardware won't be out until at least 2020-2021 at the earliest.

I love the Nintendo tablet stuff. Being able to play while my girl watches TV is the best.

Sincerely hope that they do a DS like controller that I can take out of the house with me

I love the Nintendo tablet stuff. Being able to play while my girl watches TV is the best.

Sincerely hope that they do a DS like controller that I can take out of the house with me

Then they need to release it as a separate add-on. History had proven you are in the minority and the majority of us don't want to pay for it. Also owning more than 1 tv helps mate.

I love when companies say "its our most powerful xyz yet!"...

I should fucking hope so.. if its slower than the last gen.. welllllllp.

With this being an AMD based console, again, it's going to be very easy for developers to port their games over to the Nintendo NX.

What I hope is they do is extend the life of the NX to add 4k support. This would take AMD's new 2016 GPU with 6gb of frame buffer and something tells me that will never ever happen.

And Nvidia would never get inside anyone's console because they want too money.

So Mario Exoverse, Yoshis Solar System, Mario Kart 14, Zelda, a round of CEO apologies and sunset of the hardware within year 4.

Can't Wait.

So Mario Exoverse, Yoshis Solar System, Mario Kart 14, Zelda, a round of CEO apologies and sunset of the hardware within year 4.

Can't Wait.

don't forget "Metroid Prime: Federation Force HD". but yes, there are only about 5 games i'm interested on the wii u and i did once go through the list of games to come up with this number. sega did the same with their saturn/dreamcast and it will happen again to nintendo.

With this being an AMD based console, again, it's going to be very easy for developers to port their games over to the Nintendo NX.

What I hope is they do is extend the life of the NX to add 4k support. This would take AMD's new 2016 GPU with 6gb of frame buffer and something tells me that will never ever happen.

And Nvidia would never get inside anyone's console because they want too money.

Rather than nVidia wanting too much money, I'd say AMD isn't getting anywhere near enough to make it worth it, when you look at how they are still losing money despite what looked like a lucrative contract to supply the SoC for all 3 major consoles out there. It would seem that AMD is barely making anything out of this, despite the millions of current gen consoles being sold.

And I think it shouldn't be surprising, as cost is an important factor when it comes to selling consoles. It's unlikely they would be willing to pay anything that would have brought in a nice profit margin for AMD.

Rather than nVidia wanting too much money, I'd say AMD isn't getting anywhere near enough to make it worth it, when you look at how they are still losing money despite what looked like a lucrative contract to supply the SoC for all 3 major consoles out there. It would seem that AMD is barely making anything out of this, despite the millions of current gen consoles being sold.

And I think it shouldn't be surprising, as cost is an important factor when it comes to selling consoles. It's unlikely they would be willing to pay anything that would have brought in a nice profit margin for AMD.

I'd say both theories are correct. The original Xbox went Nvidia and I recall MS ending up very unhappy with the deal. Sony went with them for the PS3, and had similar issues working with Nvidia I believe.

And AMD is willing to take the hit on money to have the business.

It's not exactly hard to design a console more powerful than an Xbone and PS4, they are both budget low end crap.

But I hope that AMD got a chip or two in there, they need the win.

It would be nice if the console could actually run games at 1080p. That was the biggest letdown of the current generation for me.

I'd say both theories are correct. The original Xbox went Nvidia and I recall MS ending up very unhappy with the deal. Sony went with them for the PS3, and had similar issues working with Nvidia I believe.

And AMD is willing to take the hit on money to have the business.

There's actually one more aspect to it. AMD licenses their technology to them while Nvidia and Intel only sells the chips. This allows the console manufacturers to more quickly redesign their console and reduce their manufacturing costs.

The part of this no one considers is the cost on the back side of these types of deals.

They simply can't spend 200 - 300 dollars for the GPU and Memory per console. That would make these consoles cost $600 - $700 dollars.

Can you say ... 3DO? lol

Also, I am wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decides to launch a new updated Xbox One with higher specs. It would be very easy for devs to make new games run on the older Xbox One with obviously reduced bells and whistles.

It's not exactly hard to design a console more powerful than an Xbone and PS4, they are both budget low end crap.

But I hope that AMD got a chip or two in there, they need the win.

Play Forza 6 or Forza Horizon and say that again. Amazing how so many here spew their mouths off about consoles.

Play Forza 6 or Forza Horizon and say that again. Amazing how so many here spew their mouths off about consoles.

God know AMD is showcasing their next gen APUs... they could use the money for sure....
I suspect it might be Intel :(

God know AMD is showcasing their next gen APUs... they could use the money for sure....
I suspect it might be Intel :(

It's likely either an ARM processor or an AMD processor with a possible chance it's a PowerPC.

I'm very happy with my Wii u and my friends enjoy a lot of the games too. I look forward to this next gen, but the lifespan of my Wii u does feel short. I suspect the Wii u was simply any intermediary system, and this next one is the real one they've been working on for so long.

Then they need to release it as a separate add-on. History had proven you are in the minority and the majority of us don't want to pay for it. Also owning more than 1 tv helps mate.

I mean lets be real for a second - you wouldn't have bought the next Nintendo anyway?

what if I don't own a second TV? Are you saying I have to own a second TV to have an opinion

I'm very happy with my Wii u and my friends enjoy a lot of the games too. I look forward to this next gen, but the lifespan of my Wii u does feel short. I suspect the Wii u was simply any intermediary system, and this next one is the real one they've been working on for so long.

We have a Wii U as well and I like it. I'm a little bummed that the new console is on the way, just bought Yoshi a few days ago. Guess I'll have to sell my Wii U in the next 6 months or so.

The feature is neat however Nintendo might be well served to skip the gimmicks this time around. People didn't understand the Gamepad and it adds very little to most of the games I've played. The Wii U hardware was confusing to consumers and Nintendo did themselves no favors by trying to support a mess of a multiplayer experiences across the Gamepad, Pro Controller, Wiimote, and Wiimote + Nunchucks.

I mean lets be real for a second - you wouldn't have bought the next Nintendo anyway?

what if I don't own a second TV? Are you saying I have to own a second TV to have an opinion

Well considering the wiiu is the only console since the nes I haven't bought... do the math. Pretty sure if they didn't do something amazingly retarded I was going to get it.

The tv thing was a joke man, settle down. Oh and get another t.v., damn it's 2015.

I only have 1 TV.. lol. I really don't get the "tv in the bedroom" thing. The bedroom is for 2 things. Fucking and sleeping.

..industry leading chips...

Someone please tell them Frito Lay isn't a tech company....

These morons claiming they'd buy a Wii U without the tablet are just that. Are you kidding me? If you want to keep playing games the same way for the rest of your life, stick to your dudebro consoles man. The rest of us will be enjoying innovation and genuinely new experiences...

Another gimmick, again? ffs nintendo...

Yes there are people who like the wii-u tablet. Personally, I hate the thing and bought a pro controller. Unfortunately some games still require using the stupid tablet, or allow most of their gameplay via normal gamepad but still require the tablet for some features, which sucks. If nintendo wants a mobile tablet thing, do that crap separately.

What some people seem to forget, is what while nintendo does make some decent first party games, the third party support is still lacking. Even if the wii u's hardware was competitive with the xb1 and ps4, you still end up with devs trying to do something with the stupid tablet gimmick so they either don't bother with the wii u at all, or it's just some half-assed effort to support the thing. All it does is drive the cost of the system up, and in the case of the wii u, it drove the cost up instead of the actual system itself having decent performance.

Yes, I could buy a ps4 and xb1. Affording multiple systems isn't the issue. I simply don't want a bunch of systems in my living room and would prefer to buy one that I can get nintendo first party games on and some decent third party software. The original wii didn't sell as well as it did because of the garbage controller gimmick, it was an issue of price and that's it. If it's not going to be dirt cheap, it needs to perform as well as the competition.

It really would be quite easy to win this generation. See how people are playing games on the PS4 and Xbox One, and those gimmick devices aren't working? Better hardware than either with a quality exclusive list, and hardware design that actually works rather than gimmicks, plus a working online system that's user friendly = win. Besides, the next gen Sony and Microsoft hardware won't be out until at least 2020-2021 at the earliest.

Very easy indeed. I'd add to that... a free online multiplayer... don't force people to be always connected to play a game.. and just make the thing powerful. Regardless of price, it'll sell.

Just look at the PS3. I bought it on release day here in AUS and it was 1000$. Huge cost.. but for a console that has sa life span of 5+ years its worth it. nO way i'm spending half that much for half the power and then being forced by the powers-that-be to have it for the same amount of time while tech marches on (software and hardware wise).

Hopefully the "industry leading chips" are memory chips because thats whats limiting the developers on current generation hardware. The lack of ram is KILLING the creative potential of what developers can do.

The CPU and GPU's are fine if they had enough ram to work with. Im sure this was a cost savings but it significantly shortened the life of the current generation of consoles.

Back