Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Updating a BIOS and upgrading a CPU is riskier, more time-consuming, and requires more knowledge than upgrading a GPU
what??? are you talking to us from the past, like year 2000 ? I just upgraded my BIOS last week. The effort was: 1 file upload to USB flash, 1 insert into USB port. 2 keypresses of RETURN key on the keyboard. And 5 minutes of waiting.
Too much risk! yeah, I know

what??? are you talking to us from the past, like year 2000 ? I just upgraded my BIOS last week. The effort was: 1 file upload to USB flash, 1 insert into USB port. 2 keypresses of RETURN key on the keyboard. And 5 minutes of waiting.
He stated replacing the CPU and upgrading the bios was more time consuming than swapping a GPU. And he is correct, but it still only takes a marginal amount of time.
And while updating the bios is a simple task, there are a few more steps involved than your depiction. And replacing the CPU is a more involved swap than the GPU. He had a point.

Dang, you has to use a usb drive? I just downloaded the file to local disk and used that!

I've been able to get a 5800x for awhile, but couldn't pull the trigger on spending 480 for it. The unicorn 5900x has been nigh impossible to even see in stock online. Even with discord running i'm lucky if I even see the thing. After all this I've decided on waiting for ddr5 platforms. My poor tired 3900x :ROFLMAO: will have to suffice until then.
man if i had the cash i'd be all over a 5800X. it has all 8 cores on one physical die. not 2 seperate 6core dies (each w/ 2 defective cores) that have to communicate through a bus.

at least if you're a gamer... this will be the perfect cpu till PS6/XBseriesXX. being that all the new games are gonna be programed for 8c/16t you could actually be losing performance or wasting money on more or less cores.

edit: my 3800X just gonna have to do it for the time being...

That's awesome. Maybe one day soon I can get one :ROFLMAO:
And believe it or not I did not use any notification discords/app/etc. I was just randomly on their site looking for something completely unrelated when I stumbled on their store and saw 5900X and 5950X in stock. Speak of being lucky.

So I've received my second 5950x and will sell at the purchase price, I'm in Canada (Quebec). Price is 1400 CAD$. Anyone interested?

I finally scored my 5950x tonight @MSRP through Amazon after camping inventory bot streams on discord for over a month - I was originally gonna go 5900x but aside from I talked myself into going 5950x if need be before today (or upgrade to a used one down the road some years time), you gotta take what you can get in these trying times, and I missed the 5900x when it dropped on Amazon 15mins earlier with cart checkout errors lol

I finally scored my 5950x tonight @MSRP through Amazon after camping inventory bot streams on discord for over a month - I was originally gonna go 5900x but aside from I talked myself into going 5950x if need be before today (or upgrade to a used one down the road some years time), you gotta take what you can get in these trying times, and I missed the 5900x when it dropped on Amazon 15mins earlier with cart checkout errors lol

I had no reason to buy it, but I got in after some refreshing and I said by god, I'll buy it! So I too now will have a 5950x arriving at some point from Amazon. Now to find a 3080 that isn't priced insanely and that I can water cool....

I recieved my 5900x last week, still in tuning hell but otherwise. I ordered a 5950 same time that should be comming soon , I'll most likely sell it here msrp to help someone out or maybe try to use it as a trade to get my hands on a Rtx 3090.

Had a pre-order for a 5900x on BLT for a while, originally stock ETA said jan 29. On the 29th stock ETA was changed to "approx 3 weeks", today ETA says "none". Cancelled the pre-order. My 9900k/2080ti will hold me fine, will see what the hardware world looks like in the summer.

EDIT: AMD's web store doesn't have "check retail availability" boxes for the 5900x & 5950x only the 5600x & 5800x ( and the "check amd.com availability" are all out of stock) so they don't expect to have any soon either I guess.

sam

Last edited:
Had a pre-order for a 5900x on BLT for a while, originally stock ETA said jan 29. On the 29th stock ETA was changed to "approx 3 weeks", today ETA says "none". Cancelled the pre-order. My 9900k/2080ti will hold me fine, will see what the hardware world looks like in the summer.

EDIT: AMD's web store doesn't have "check retail availability" boxes for the 5900x & 5950x only the 5600x & 5800x ( and the "check amd.com availability" are all out of stock) so they don't expect to have any soon either I guess.

sam
i've given up as well, geez six months since the announcement and still stock issues, c'mon AMD

i've given up as well, geez six months since the announcement and still stock issues, c'mon AMD
The lower end models are pretty available. Microcenter Rockville has had 25+ on the 5600x available for 3 days now. Worst case, buy in now with a 5600x and upgrade later to a 5900 or 5950 later.

just picked up a 5950x at my local microcenter, guy said they are listed out of stock online but they've had them for awhile, freakin awesome, now to find the dark hero

Don't expect it to get better. AMD is spread too thin with their fab allocation. CPUs, GPUs and console is a lot. It is no wonder Nvidia went with Samsung. There would be hardly any 30xx card out there is they waited on TSMC.

I may have to drive over there after work today. I notice they have a ton of 5600X's in stock but no 5900/5950's on their website. Looking to migrate away from my semi-broken eGPU setup with my Macbook Pro. I noticed they dropped the price on the 10850K to $330 with a motherboard, and am waffling between a cheaper space heater (10850K) and having 16cores/32threads with the 5950X.

I may have to drive over there after work today. I notice they have a ton of 5600X's in stock but no 5900/5950's on their website. Looking to migrate away from my semi-broken eGPU setup with my Macbook Pro. I noticed they dropped the price on the 10850K to $330 with a motherboard, and am waffling between a cheaper space heater (10850K) and having 16cores/32threads with the 5950X.
guy says, some of these hard to get items they show out of stock because of people who drive for a couple of hours to get to microcenter and are pissed if then the item is sold out by the time they get there,

guy says, some of these hard to get items they show out of stock because of people who drive for a couple of hours to get to microcenter and are pissed if then the item is sold out by the time they get there,
I'll never understand why Best Buy is selling the new gear "online only" at MSRP. Retail is all about foot traffic.

You just started some amazing marketing for MC to get people in the door that otherwise wouldn't have bothered.

They're doing it to stop scalpers, of course. Far better than asking people to wait in line in the middle of the winter during a pandemic.

any luck?

Madison Heights (Detroit) MC is loaded this morning.

Ryzen5000InStock.JPG

After weeks of having 25+ 5600x at Parkville MC they have finally dropped to 18. So I assume they had a huge supply. Nothing else has been in stock cpu wise.

Yeah blown away by Madison Heights having everyone of them in stock. Also, limited stock, but there, on Gigabyte 3070s. This MC has been getting regular drops of 6800XT's to boot. Can't believe the amount of 5000 series that dropped though. So tempting. I am going to end up biting on my down grade to the 5600, but the 5800 is there too. Decisions....

Cambridge, MA store showing 25 plus 5800 and 20 5950x as of this writing. Doubt they will last until Saturday when I head out there.

Finally got me a 5900x and didn't have to stand in line. Still had 5900 and 5950 when I left. And 6800XT and 6900XT

The 5900x and 5950x stock in MC Tustin is finally getting low. Took all day and I know there were more than 50 people this morning. I got mine hope y’all got yours.

some of these say made in china or made in malaysia, mine says malaysia, what do you guys see on yours?
Mine is made in Malaysia, diffused in Taiwan and USA.

I think every CPU I’ve ever had is diffused in Malaysia... my old i7 5820K was too. They have a huge semiconductor industry there.

Back