Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can't trust their online stock, especially when it shows 1-3. I've done that run for 1-3 only to get there early in the morning at opening and its gone cuz ppl get there at 4am and then they don't update the stock till later.
Oh I know. Would of been worth a shot.

supposedly there is a drop happening in the next 10 min...we will see.

Got lucky and showed up to return while they had more 5900X in stock -- exchanged it and currently up and running with the new CPU! Old one was indeed a dud.

Wish we still had stores around here. Fry's used to be good for picking up hardware but now they are just a shell. Looks like I will continue waiting for them to be more available online.

I'm encouraged. If it looks anything like this on Friday night I'm making the drive Saturday morning. Lots of stock twice in the same week!!

instock2.JPG

My local MC had nothing yesterday. When I checked out with an open box X470 board, I saw a Ryzen 5000 something sitting in the return bin next to the checkout. "CAN I BUY THAT RETURN?".

"No, not for sale, it is in quarantine for a few days after a return before we can sell it."

:(

My local MC had nothing yesterday. When I checked out with an open box X470 board, I saw a Ryzen 5000 something sitting in the return bin next to the checkout. "CAN I BUY THAT RETURN?".

"No, not for sale, it is in quarantine for a few days after a return before we can sell it."

haha no way? i go into guitar center and see people playing them during the pandemic. that sounds like an excuse to sell it to someone who tipped them off imo.

Tell them you'll buy an antivirus with the processor so you are good.

5600X and 5800X were never super difficult to get. 5900X and 5950X are rarer than RTX3080s.

And 6800XTs are the hardest to find of all. There are, like, dozens of them in the channel.

I mean, I could have got a 5900 today no problem or a 5950 yesterday.

Point still stands, scalpers can rot.

5600X and 5800X were never super difficult to get. 5900X and 5950X are rarer than RTX3080s.

And 6800XTs are the hardest to find of all. There are, like, dozens of them in the channel.
Waiting in line in the morning at microcenter, I had no issues getting a 5950 (and passed on 5900 and 5800 options). 3 days in a row of trying, though, the only video card option I had a shot at was a 3090. From my limited experience, the 3080 is still rare.

Yes, Microcenter is clearly the best way to go, if you're up for standing in line for hours in the dead of winter during a pandemic. Good times indeed.

Waiting in line in the morning at microcenter, I had no issues getting a 5950 (and passed on 5900 and 5800 options). 3 days in a row of trying, though, the only video card option I had a shot at was a 3090. From my limited experience, the 3080 is still rare.
what location? congrats

Grats man.

My 5950x order from Walmart from last week got kicked to back order... now I'm scared for my 3090 order from the recent drop at BB will fall thru too.

Yes, Microcenter is clearly the best way to go, if you're up for standing in line for hours in the dead of winter during a pandemic. Good times indeed.
I easily spent less time waiting in line at microcenter than I have chasing websites and F5ing all the time. It was refreshing to have my 5950 after like 3 hours of waiting in the car playing hearthstone on my phone. The extra time waiting for 3080s was wasted however.

Meh, I walked in at like 11:15 on a Sunday to get my 3080 and 1:30 PM the other day to get a 5900X. Then walked in at noon a couple days later to exchange my 5900X for another. I would not wait in line for hours for any of this stuff. Read the non-official MC discord for your region. That’s how I’ve timed all my trips.

Meh, I walked in at like 11:15 on a Sunday to get my 3080 and 1:30 PM the other day to get a 5900X. Then walked in at noon a couple days later to exchange my 5900X for another. I would not wait in line for hours for any of this stuff. Read the non-official MC discord for your region. That’s how I’ve timed all my trips.
Pretty much. Saw cpus in stock, got there around 10am. Saw the usual huge line of saps outside and noped out. Went around the block to the polish market for some odds and ends (I love the pickled roasted red peppers).

Got back around 11AM. Strolled in and grabbed a voucher. The only actual wait was 15-20 minutes in the checkout.

I finally got me a CPU. Camped out MC since 8:30 and got a 5950x. I was 3rs in line. If I got there 15 mins earlier I would of got the only 5900x which was what I really wanted.

I finally got me a CPU. Camped out MC since 8:30 and got a 5950x. I was 3rs in line. If I got there 15 mins earlier I would of got the only 5900x which was what I really wanted.
dude congrats, its the better option. i know it hurt to spend more money. but you went the correct path.

I mean, it depends on what you want to do with it. I wanted an overkill gaming CPU myself, so I wanted the 5900X too. But I similarly ended up with a 5950X which is a REALLY overkill gaming CPU.

I figure I saved so much money not having a life for the past year it's no big deal, but I still got (and paid for) much more CPU than I wanted.

In 5 years when I move it over to my homelab it'll make a great virtualization platform but for now it's criminally underused.

I mean, it depends on what you want to do with it. I wanted an overkill gaming CPU myself, so I wanted the 5900X too. But I similarly ended up with a 5950X which is a REALLY overkill gaming CPU.

I figure I saved so much money not having a life for the past year it's no big deal, but I still got (and paid for) much more CPU than I wanted.

In 5 years when I move it over to my homelab it'll make a great virtualization platform but for now it's criminally underused.
Maybe install folding at home or Boinc and let a those CPUs do some covid research when you aren’t gaming on it?

I was just going to use it for gaming. I plan on keep this pc for awhile now. PC hardware is really hitting a wall and when it comes to CPUs I doubt there will be anything worth upgrading 5950x for the next 5 years. Most I might do is a gpu upgrade.

Yep. Honestly, my old 6700K was perfectly fine too. Just hurt my minimum frames in some recent games. But I got that itch, you know!

5950X arrived today. Going to wait for a few additional watercooling fittings to arrive tomorrow and then will drain the system, swap CPUs and get it running.

Looking forward to experimenting with this one.

Yep. Honestly, my old 6700K was perfectly fine too. Just hurt my minimum frames in some recent games. But I got that itch, you know!
If I knew how all this crap would of turned out I would of just kept my 3950x.

you should get into audio production and utilize them cores via vst synth plugins phase plant and whatever else you find :sneaky:

I was just going to use it for gaming. I plan on keep this pc for awhile now. PC hardware is really hitting a wall and when it comes to CPUs I doubt there will be anything worth upgrading 5950x for the next 5 years. Most I might do is a gpu upgrade.
That's what I said to myself when I bought my threadRipper and here I am, looking forward to the 40% time reduction in encoding! AMD has really surpassed my expectations in the last years!

shows the microcenter in houston has 25+ 5900x

1/10/21

i would attempt but i dont know if i would be wasting my efforts (30 minute drive for me). i havent been in years so i dont know what kind of lines are forming. i will watch how fast the quantity dwindles on their site at 11 am.

Checked at 1:30 pm, gone.:(o_O

Last edited:
Man I am so use too constantly looking at MC site that I am still doing it after I got everything I needed. This morning my MC showing 25+ 5600x and 5800x. Zero 5900x and 5950x. Weird how little of those two mine has gotten since release.

I just saw that. Stuck at work. :( They actually have some 3090's and a 6800 as well it says. Looks like they get drops on Tuesday's eh?
They get drops through out the week. Sundays and Mondays are the only days they don't get anything. I notice they get AMD CPUs a lot on Saturdays. But yea I think Tuesdays are they big drops of the week.

I just saw that. Stuck at work. :( They actually have some 3090's and a 6800 as well it says. Looks like they get drops on Tuesday's eh?
Graphics cards were gone instantly. Good to see them getting larger orders for CPU's though. This is how to get past scalpers, send to brick and mortar.

Back