Zen 3 Launch Availability

When will it be possible to buy a Zen 3 cpu without using a bot or paying Scalper rates?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xSneak

Gawd
After seeing the 3080 debacle, just how difficult will it be to get a zen 3 processor in the month of november?
I feel like they are going to end up like the 3300x cpu which is sold out everywhere and being scalped by weirdos.
The demand will definitely be high and I feel the supply will be low due to consoles and gpus taking up fab space.

Someone tell me i'm wrong. :(

Updating a BIOS and upgrading a CPU is riskier, more time-consuming, and requires more knowledge than upgrading a GPU. Plus the B450 and X470 folks won't be able to upgrade on launch day afaik because BIOS updates for those won't be available until January (I think I read that somewhere?). That lowers the number of potential buyers.

I have no plans to upgrade from my 3700X until AM5/DDR5, but scarcity-induced scalping is shitty so hopefully it won't happen with Zen 3.

Updating a BIOS and upgrading a CPU is riskier, more time-consuming, and requires more knowledge than upgrading a GPU. Plus the B450 and X470 folks won't be able to upgrade on launch day afaik because BIOS updates for those won't be available until January (I think I read that somewhere?). That lowers the number of potential buyers.

I have no plans to upgrade from my 3700X until AM5/DDR5, but scarcity-induced scalping is shitty so hopefully it won't happen with Zen 3.
Were the zen 2 cpus available on launch? I'm just switching over from intel so I'm not sure what to expect. When I bought a 9900k I was able to get it very close to the launch date from provantage.

Were the zen 2 cpus available on launch? I'm just switching over from intel so I'm not sure what to expect. When I bought a 9900k I was able to get it very close to the launch date from provantage.
Some whe e, 3900x and 3950x where sold out relatively quick, not 3080 quick, but still quick. Stock was normalized pretty well in less than a month, but some CPUs would go out and come back in stock. If you were patient you could tend to get one within a few days. They are only releasing 4 models this time, so hopefully they have a few more of each, and with news of a 5600 releasing Q1 next year for like $220 may have a few people waiting, as well as those who are on b450/x470 waiting on bios updates. Seems they may be trying to strech their demand over a slightly longer period of time, which will (partially) help with short supplies at launch.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
3900x was hard to get at MC so I waited...a few weeks later it was easy to get.

After seeing the 3080 debacle, just how difficult will it be to get a zen 3 processor in the month of november?
I feel like they are going to end up like the 3300x cpu which is sold out everywhere and being scalped by weirdos.
The demand will definitely be high and I feel the supply will be low due to consoles and gpus taking up fab space.

Well, AMD isn't NVIDIA. This is also a CPU launch, not a GPU launch. The last few launches from AMD haven't been anything like the 3080 / 3090 debacle. The availability will probably be somewhat limited but my guess is people won't have too much trouble with getting ahold of the bottom through the mid-range of the stack. If its like last time, the 5900X and 5950X will be as rare as hen's teeth. Even so, I saw them in stock at Microcenter, but they never had more than a couple of them at a time and you'd have to act quickly if you wanted to get one.

That said, no one fucking knows because it hasn't happened yet. We have no idea what an AMD Ryzen CPU launch in a post-COVID-19 world will look like.

it's going to be tough getting Zen 3 at launch but I don't think it'll be anywhere close to as bad as the Ampere launch...Nvidia had ~1000 cards available worldwide at launch...I'm sure AMD is going to have much more supply

it's going to be tough getting Zen 3 at launch but I don't think it'll be anywhere close to as bad as the Ampere launch...Nvidia had ~1000 cards available worldwide at launch...I'm sure AMD is going to have much more supply

One way to gauge supply is based on how many end up being available to reviewers. Unfortunately, I don't know what sampling is going to look like yet. We didn't get the Threadripper 3960X, 3970X or the Ryzen 9 3950X and many larger sites and more popular Youtuber's didn't either. When that happens you can be sure that there isn't jack shit for availability. Even so, this was only the case for a few weeks and then availability improved quite a bit.

My only fear is those are recommendations. I bit the bullet and ordered everything I wanted for my new build over the last couple of days. The only thing I need is the processor. I'll be one of ones on the hunt on the 5th. I'm hoping less people will be going for the 5950x but I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who are....

I know I should wait for reviews but I'm being dumb.

My only fear is those are recommendations. I bit the bullet and ordered everything I wanted for my new build over the last couple of days. The only thing I need is the processor. I'll be one of ones on the hunt on the 5th. I'm hoping less people will be going for the 5950x but I'm sure there are a lot of people like me who are....

I'm flip flopping between 5900x (only 100usd it is more future proof, more cache, but two CCXs).... 5800x (single CCX=lesser latency, less power than 5900x but pricey) ... and 5600x (good price, single CCX, less power than 5800x, but only 6 core)

It's almost guaranteed to be an improvement over the 3950X. I wouldn't consider it a dumb move to set your sights on that CPU now.

It's ok dude. AMD under Su has delivered on their word every time so no worries there. I don't think there will be as many buyers for 5950x this go around with the 5800x being the sweet spot for the most buyers.

I will be attempting to get a 5900x the moment it’s available. I have everything else just waiting for the cpu, so I really hope I can snag one. I’ll stay up late, wake up early, etc if I need to. I’m fairly skeptical, though. The bot situation for new hardware is completely out of hand these days.

probably hard to get for a month or so. Just remember that you will likely get better silicon by waiting even a little while.

any word on what time the new Zen 3 CPU's will be available to purchase on November 5th (EST)?

Zen 2 took 3 months for universal availability of 8 core and 12 cores. 6 core you could buy anywhere.

I would expect to add another month to that for any launch in Covid times.

I voted on launch day, but with a caveat. I live near a microcenter. If I was going to pick one up in two weeks, I feel confident I could get one. I think there's a good chance they'll be harder to get online, at least for a while. What may help is that x470 and b450 support is not coming until January. Quite a few people thinking of upgrading are going to wait, I bet.

AMD is in contract for 21% of TSMC production in 2020.Do the wafer math split up between xbone,ps4,Ryzen and Radeon.
Stock will be low.

AMD is in contract for 21% of TSMC production in 2020.Do the wafer math split up between xbone,ps4,Ryzen and Radeon.
Stock will be low.

I assume they stopped production of Ryzen 1/2 chips and have allocated that stock to Zen 3. Which would not make the stock that low.

The question will be the demand.

Last edited:
I assume they stopped production of Ryzen 1/2 chips and have allocated that stock to Zen 3. Which would not make the stock that low.

The question will be the demand.
Also I think AMD asked its motherboard partners to release x4xx chipset zen3 BIOS support in January or so, to spread a shopping spree.

Stock will be low.
Is that 21% really cover xbox and playstation? Not under a diff. contract with ms and sony? TSMC doing 140k wafer a month. 21% of that is 29k wafers a month. Would take a bit of research to find yields, die sizes, and sales numbers (to estimate allocation).

Too bad they can't port Zen2 to GloFo. I would like a $120 3600

This is a fun poll and nothing more haha

I never see CPU's as being a scalpers paradise because its not easy to just swap a CPU for most people. In many cases it takes a whole new board and ram etc.... most people would scalp a GPU over a CPU due to ease of installation.

This is a fun poll and nothing more haha

I never see CPU's as being a scalpers paradise because its not easy to just swap a CPU for most people. In many cases it takes a whole new board and ram etc.... most people would scalp a GPU over a CPU due to ease of installation.
Also a lot less motivation to buy a scalped CPU when you can buy something slightly slower for less money (3000 series Zen) and just wait for stock to stabilize. But we'll see, people seem to have gone insane this year.

I voted weeks after launch. I agree with basically everything that was posted as far as why CPU's are less likely to be scalped than GPU's, but there probably will be a run on them. I'm probably going to be in the market for a 5950x once they are available without being a pain to buy, but could see myself getting a 3950x instead used on the cheap.

I'm just hoping that I'll be able to get one from Best Buy this month, as I've got a 10% birthday coupon that would be better spent on a CPU than a PS5.

...And if neither of those are available, uh... I dunno o_O

I hope availability is good, a friend asked me to build her a computer and I have tentatively spec'd a 5800X

Eh I was more wishing GloFo stuck with their 7nm, even if it was late to market
ah, I hear that. Sad how the Fab industry has turned bad in the USA. Not sure what the issue(s) are. Engineering talent? Bad management? Probably a combination of both.

Anyways, I think AMD Zen3 will have good availability thanks to TSMC.

Back