Zalman CNPS 7700 released

ryuji said:
the way the industry is going.. i think water cooling or phase change will be required... i hope not tho.. i would rather see more efficient cpus then hotter ones.. but everyone looks at intel... and loves the prescotts...

mabey a year ago i would have agree'd. but not lately. intel is pushing their cpu's as far as they possibly can, to their thermal limits and sometimes beyond as in the case of their latest monstrocity the 570, and even then, AMD is still beating them out. and their new 90nm process cpu's are some of the coolest running cpu's in a long long time.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/pentium4_570-20.html

too bad they didnt have PIII's in that lineup. i bet the 90nm AMD chips would have given them a run for their money.

Intel and AMD aren't the only two CPU makers pushing parallel processing next year. Also note that Nvidia is going to be pushing their SLI option, and rumor has it ATI won't be far behind on parallel video.

I think there's a dirty secret that these guys all know about. They're hitting a technical barrier that may be beatable, but not at the pace they have been used to. If they can't make the mhz higher and add more heat, they have to increase speed another way... parallel processing. I think that whenever you see stuff like this crop up, especially when everyone does it at once, you know the R&D departments are having a tough time this year.

TekieB said:
Saw that thing at quakecon, it's HUGE! and the zalman dude said it would fit any board with the previous 7000alcu mounts

Hells Yeah!!!

Advil said:
Intel and AMD aren't the only two CPU makers pushing parallel processing next year.

Technically I'd say that they are....I don't see Nvidia and ATI making CPU's....do you? :p

Hehe, just jokin' around man, I know what you meant. :cool:

Advil said:
Intel and AMD aren't the only two CPU makers pushing parallel processing next year. Also note that Nvidia is going to be pushing their SLI option, and rumor has it ATI won't be far behind on parallel video.

I think there's a dirty secret that these guys all know about. They're hitting a technical barrier that may be beatable, but not at the pace they have been used to. If they can't make the mhz higher and add more heat, they have to increase speed another way... parallel processing. I think that whenever you see stuff like this crop up, especially when everyone does it at once, you know the R&D departments are having a tough time this year.
good point... never thought of it that way...

I dont think this would cause my board to warp more than the stock intel cooler which makes the cpu socjet bulge downwards and warps the entire board along 2 axis

seen it on 2 german cooling sites, howver I am hoping the price goes down before deciding on XP 120, 7700, copper tower, or water cooling

wwparrish said:
Fan duct for that monster would be something. You could loose your cat.

hahaha for some reason that just made me burst out laughing at work

now everyone is looking at me funny, thanks alot! :D

ryuji said:
you should shorten your sig a bit.. its a little too big.. dunno if its over any limits.. but compare yours to ours :rolleyes:
dont include all the useless stuff in your sig.. cpu, mobo, memory, vid card,hdd and overclock speeds.. and anything else thats extrodinary...not like your mouse :rolleyes:
Shortened, But that's It. :p :p

Has anyone found one for sell yet. This would be an awesome xmas present to myself..

damn that thing is huge!

Yeah it will fit the sockets, but hows clearence under a PSU ?

I bet thoes HTPC guys are gunna like this one :eek:

mr.dearthian said:
Looks like they have them at SharkaCorp . Had roughly 25 of the AlCU and the CU.

Go get em'.

Mr.Dearthian

Thanks for the link :)

Zalman CNPS 7700-CU
All Copper CPU Cooler w/ 120mm Fan
$54.95

or

Zalman CNPS 7700-CU
Auminum/Copper CPU Cooler w/ 120mm Fan
$44.95

Which one would you pick and why?

Just ordered my 7700Cu, yeah!

Can we get something solid on if this 918g monster will warp a 6 layer board???

Maybe the extra PCB in the ASUS P5AD2-E StackCOOL will stiffen that back a bit..

first post biAtcH!!!! :eek:

hmm ive used the 7000 cu for a long time on my p4 and it worked great .. and its quiet .. i wonder how this 7700 will do .. time to order lol ..

jetjaguar said:
hmm ive used the 7000 cu for a long time on my p4 and it worked great .. and its quiet .. i wonder how this 7700 will do .. time to order lol ..

Be sure to get us before and after temps comparing your 7000CU and teh 7700CU.

Oh, and your sig needs to be cut down by 3 lines. ;)

that thing IS an extreme cooling solution. I can barely get the 7000 to fit under the PSU, I can't even consider this thing

nice, but too heavy for me

I'll wait until I have a motherboard with a better mounting system or maybe just get water cooling

sorry about the sig .. been so long i forgot about it ..
well im gonna get the cooler .. now i just have to wait for which sli board
asus coming out real soon .. hopefully the dfi one comes out before the
end of december

7000 ALCU (before)

PC001.jpg

7700ALCU (after)

memoriasocooler006.jpg

I did not notice temperature differences. The only thing that I noticed is that the temperatures go down more fast.

P4 3.0/3.750 at 1.626Vcore, i have 50ºC after to play and it goes down 10º in 10seconds +/-.

I have Artic Silver 5.

your experiencies !!

does anyone know where to get the SilentX version that will mount on SocketA since i am running a XP-M and thus this one wont work for me

c00z said:
does anyone know where to get the SilentX version that will mount on SocketA since i am running a XP-M and thus this one wont work for me
It will work, dude... you just need the four mounting holes around the CPU socket and space between the top of the motherboard and bottom of the PSU.

_Korruption_ said:
It will work, dude... you just need the four mounting holes around the CPU socket and space between the top of the motherboard and bottom of the PSU.

He also needs to check the compatibility list on Zalmans website for the 7000 to see if there are any electrical components that are/might get in the way on his board....then it'll be good to go.

akapaulk said:
Is it any louder than the 7000?

Theoretically there should be no reason for it to be any louder, but I also don't know how it could be much quiter then the 7000 either. :p

As JCmendes said already, he merely saw his temps drop from load back down to idle faster then before, but his temps more or less remained the same.

nah it said it does not fit socket A boards at all....thus my concern

c00z said:
nah it said it does not fit socket A boards at all....thus my concern
I just checked on the 7700 on Zalman's site, and it does look like you're right... they dropped Socket A support for this model. The 7000B was the last model to support Socket A.

I am from Portugal, and bought here (he is incrivel but it is truth..hehe arrives here first!!).

As i said I did not notice temperature differences. The noise is a little less, but not a great difference from 7000.

It can compensate for refreshing the components to around the CPU...just that.

I just ordered my 7700ALCU! Also picked up a Zalman Northbridge cooler, Zalman VGA cooler, and a Lian-Li PC-V2000B case. More silence=GOOD! My Antec SOHO case has 4x80mm fans, so 2x120 will be a nice noise drop (especially once I put them on my fanbus)

I'm becoming such a Zalman Pimp (I also have a Zalman 400W PSU)!! :eek: :D

Mr.Dearthian

mr.dearthian said:
I just ordered my 7700ALCU! Also picked up a Zalman Northbridge cooler, Zalman VGA cooler, and a Lian-Li PC-V2000B case. More silence=GOOD! My Antec SOHO case has 4x80mm fans, so 2x120 will be a nice noise drop (especially once I put them on my fanbus)

I'm becoming such a Zalman Pimp (I also have a Zalman 400W PSU)!! :eek: :D

Mr.Dearthian
at least you didnt buy the zalman case

_Korruption_ said:
I just checked on the 7700 on Zalman's site, and it does look like you're right... they dropped Socket A support for this model. The 7000B was the last model to support Socket A.

i found this on zalman's forum on their USA website

http://www.zalmanforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=465

ive also read that if you can fit a 7000 on your mobo, then the 7700 will also work as far as clearing capacitors around the socket, etc.

so if you check their mobo page for the 7000 and your mobo will work with it, and you have 68mm in all directions from the center of the socket, then the 7700 should fit fine.

other than that you just need to get the mounting hardware from a 7000 to install the 7700 on a socket A. me personally, i think im gunna goto best buy or curcuit city and buy a 7000 cu, take it back and say the mounting hardware wasnt included and then buy a 7700.

Aris said:
me personally, i think im gunna goto best buy or curcuit city and buy a 7000 cu, take it back and say the mounting hardware wasnt included and then buy a 7700.
call zalman... from what i have hered there such a ncie bunch of guys that i would be surprised if they didnt ship you the mounting hardware at no cost

Back