• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Zalman CNPS 7700 released

Nom Anor

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 29, 2004
Messages
244
the new Zalman CNPS 7700

1100221891.jpg


It now has a 120mm fan, contra the 92mm fan in the previous version of this cooler. Total weight for the all-copper version has increased from 775 to 918 grams. Nearly a KG of brute cooling power



The fan is said to keep even prescott cool at 1,000rpm (virtually silent according to zalman), so running it at 2,000rpm should offer some nice OC possibilities. Compatibility with motherboards is yet unknow, but Zalman will publish a list with incompatible boards next next week.

more pics:

1.jpg


7700.jpg
 
now if they only had one for socket A's that would fit on the GA-7DPXDW-P...
 
Holy sweet mother of god that is huge :eek:

but i still would like to see this go up against the xp-120 :D
 
Neat cooler, but I don't like the thought of something I have to chuck if the fan dies. I'd rather have a HSF that takes my choice of fans.
 
LoneWolf said:
Neat cooler, but I don't like the thought of something I have to chuck if the fan dies.

why would it ?

besides, it's much less expensive than xp-120+fan combo
 
LoneWolf said:
Neat cooler, but I don't like the thought of something I have to chuck if the fan dies. I'd rather have a HSF that takes my choice of fans.
You can change fans, its just a bit harder than with the XP-120.
 
Saw that thing at quakecon, it's HUGE! and the zalman dude said it would fit any board with the previous 7000alcu mounts
 
i checked out zalman's website.

they said this "should" be compatible with all motherboards that the original 7000 was. and ones that it was incompatible with the 7000 will be incompatible with the 7700
 
That kind of suxs i just bought a 7000 to wish i would of waited just a couple days :mad:. But hey it's still a great cooler so i can't really be that mad,
 
HRslammR said:
poor motherboard is gonna bend =-/ , but there is also an aluminum-copper version at a whole 200 grams lighter: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/view.asp?idx=146&code=005009

i'll be getting one though, when i ever so eventually upgrade to 939.

Not really as long as you have your motherboard pretty secure you shouldn't have to worry. Plus it's zalman i dont think they would release a product thats not up to par with their last cooler.
 
Bah, it still uses the Intel retention bracket for Socket 478. I was hoping that it would be bolted on to the board, like the Swiftech MCX4000. I just dont trust a piece of plastic to hold a 918gram heatsink...
 
saturnine2 said:
Bah, it still uses the Intel retention bracket for Socket 478. I was hoping that it would be bolted on to the board, like the Swiftech MCX4000. I just dont trust a piece of plastic to hold a 918gram heatsink...

Heck, my Thermalright SLK-800 weighs between 550-600 grams, and I worry about THAT. 918 grams will probably warp the mainboard over time.
 
I have been waiting for this HSF since I saw this a quakecon 2004.....I just have to wait for this one to be in stock somewhere.....
 
918g? Jeez, performance would have to be superb for it to merit choosing this instead of one of Thermalright's latest models (XP-90/120) which are all Al and perform slightly better than the CNPs 7000, not to mention they weigh 1/3rd as much. They're not any louder if you pick the right fan too.

It'll probably be cheaper than the massive XP-120... Dunno if it'll cool that much better than it or even the XP-90 though. Looking forward to some head-to-head reviews... Maybe [H] will get back on the HSF review game soon? :D
 
What A BEAST
So I'm guessing that the only difference between the Cu and the Alcu is that the Alcu is lighter?
 
mickey987 said:
What A BEAST
So I'm guessing that the only difference between the Cu and the Alcu is that the Alcu is lighter?

And uses alluminum.

I think that a CNPS7000 might have killed my previous board... weight warping it over time...

Don't know if I'd go for this... Even though I loved the cooling on the old one. :p
 
mickey987 said:
What A BEAST
So I'm guessing that the only difference between the Cu and the Alcu is that the Alcu is lighter?

Yeah, with the CNPS 7000 I even read some reviews that stated the AlCu actually performed better than it's all-copper brother... Not sure about the scientific reason for that one (copper may transfer slower?).
 
I wonder how It would fit with an MSI K8T Neo2-F, I know the XP-120 is compatible, But It would be nice to have a head to head comparison, Intel (Prescott) or A64 (3500 90nm). I'm getting a 3500 90nm cpu in April and in May the heatsink.
 
this thing is a beast, my roomate has a 7000cu, and ITS HUGE. this thing on the pictures is like half the size of the motherboard. Im guessing significantly bigger than the xp-120, considering those huge fins sticking out BEYOND the 120 mm fan. wow. Probably about the same size as an xp-150 if there was one.
 
LoneWolf said:
Heck, my Thermalright SLK-800 weighs between 550-600 grams, and I worry about THAT. 918 grams will probably warp the mainboard over time.
i got a slk-800.. and i have banged my case around a few times.. its clip on too... so dont worry :p :D
 
zoom314 said:
I wonder how It would fit with an MSI K8T Neo2-F, I know the XP-120 is compatible, But It would be nice to have a head to head comparison, Intel (Prescott) or A64 (3500 90nm). I'm getting a 3500 90nm cpu in April and in May the heatsink.
you should shorten your sig a bit.. its a little too big.. dunno if its over any limits.. but compare yours to ours :rolleyes:
(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.
dont include all the useless stuff in your sig.. cpu, mobo, memory, vid card,hdd and overclock speeds.. and anything else thats extrodinary...not like your mouse :rolleyes:
 
ryuji said:
you should shorten your sig a bit.. its a little too big.. dunno if its over any limits.. but compare yours to ours :rolleyes:

Hehe, yeah.....it's 5 lines over the limit bro. ;)
 
Ive ran the 7000CU for over a year now with no problems. No warping, no more bending of the board than an intel retail heatsink does.
 
corrosive23 said:
Ive ran the 7000CU for over a year now with no problems. No warping, no more bending of the board than an intel retail heatsink does.

True, and while I didn't have my 7000 for THAT long....it is really not that much extra stress on the bracket.....the 7700 weighing in at nearly a whole KG is a big step forward for Zalman, but I fear that a LOT of people are going to jump the gun on the weight issue when they're looking at new coolers.
 
cornelious0_0 said:
True, and while I didn't have my 7000 for THAT long....it is really not that much extra stress on the bracket.....the 7700 weighing in at nearly a whole KG is a big step forward for Zalman, but I fear that a LOT of people are going to jump the gun on the weight issue when they're looking at new coolers.
Well I resolved the whole weight issue with a DTek Whitewater. :D
 
Got the copper 7000, and I effectively hang that from the top of the case with a bit of garden wire to take the weight off the motherboard. Looks like I'll need thicker wire for the new one, that and a lot of space - surface area looks huge.
 
does anyone know where to get the silentX version since it will work on socket A while the zalman does not and also if possible a canadian reseller or at least someone who will ship to canada


one last thing...and reviews of any of these 120mm ones copycat, silentX or the zalman yet?
 
I've been overjoyed with my 7000alcu. The weight is ok, and the cooling unbelievable considering how quiet it can be. Lap the bottom of it, and your CPU, and get another 10C on top of that.

It's been a good unit.

That said, there's no way I'd put the all copper 7700 on any board, unless it's a desktop and sits flat. The 7700alcu is the way to go, and it's still heavy enough to make me worried. The retention brackets on 478 P4s do break occasionally. Not even considering what the weight could do to the board, imagine that thing falling onto your video card. :eek: No way it's going to survive it.
 
Advil said:
I
That said, there's no way I'd put the all copper 7700 on any board, unless it's a desktop and sits flat. The 7700alcu is the way to go, and it's still heavy enough to make me worried. The retention brackets on 478 P4s do break occasionally. Not even considering what the weight could do to the board, imagine that thing falling onto your video card. :eek: No way it's going to survive it.
the way the industry is going.. i think water cooling or phase change will be required... i hope not tho.. i would rather see more efficient cpus then hotter ones.. but everyone looks at intel... and loves the prescotts... so i dont know.. seems like a grim future for air cooling, the fact that manufacterers need to resort to heat sinks this big and the trend to ~1kg coolers worrys me.. video cards are at there limit... 70C isnt exactly cool.. i think real innovation is going to be hindered by heat, it is such a shame too... we could have awsome video cards and cpus if heat wernt a issue
 
There's a lot that can be done with air cooling and a lot of places it can still go imo... You'd be surprised what they'll come up with if they can produce it cheaper than any sort of full-fledged water cooling (which includes not only the components but the entirely new manufacturing process for big OEMs).

Look at Apple's case design, or even Thermalright's (a relatively small outfit) intelligent Al designs in their XP series. Pretty lightweight but they're top notch performers at low noise.

We're gonna start needing a lot more comparmentalized designs (like Apple's or 'least on a smaller scale like the Artic Cooling VGA/Silencer coolers), BTX doesn't acomplish much in this respect imo. It's just a re-arrangement of ATX... On the processor side of things both AMD and Intel are just focusing on dual cores for the time being so that'll be a side-step somewhat to the heat issues though obviously not a solution.
 
Back
Top