Z5500 Purchase

jstenuf

2[H]4U
I got the Z5500’s today to replace a set of Z640’s and just finished installing them. :D The box is a little awkward to carry even with the “hand holds” provided because the subwoofer is on one side of the box and weighs almost 40 lbs. The sub has two heavy-duty plastic straps around it that makes it simple to lift it out of the box. All of the cables are color coded and easy to set up. Logitech recommends putting the sub under the desk, but the sub is approximately 16.5”x 13” x 13” (LWH). Way to big to fit under my desk so I placed it at the side of the desk. As you face the sub there is a port on the left hand side so I am getting some reinforcement from the adjacent wall.
:D I am reluctant to give detailed review of the sound quality because of the short period of time I have had them in use. I will say that they provide considerable more weight, warmth and detail than the Z640’s right out of the box, but the surround field is not as well developed as the Z640’s at this point. I will give more detail later after I experiment with sub placement and sub volume level. I am happy to report that the hiss that plagued some of the Z680’s is gone.

Thanks for posting your first impressions. I ordered these Wednesday to replace my ancient Altec Lansings but they won't be here until Monday. Anxious to hear how you like them with more extensive testing.

I wanna hear from someone comparing the Z680s to the new 5500s although the seem nearly identical.

Kido1986 said:
I wanna hear from someone comparing the Z680s to the new 5500s although the seem nearly identical.

The Z5500 's use aluminium drivers for the left, right, center and surrounds. The Z680's do not.

I dont mean the physical comparisons, I mean the sound quality. My Z680s (to me) have superb quality. The only downside is the hiss, but I just grab the remote and turn them off when Im not using them anyway so it isnt a big deal.

I just got z5300's from circuit city and i paid 125$ FOR them. Definately glad i got them. I can only assume the 5500's are better

edit: for them not with them

i would also be interested in any comments regarding the onboard decoder. i am looking to finally upgrade my AL ADA885 which have onboard DD decoder which i use via audigy digital spdif out. i am trying to decide between these and the promedia ultras. (which do not have onboard decoder)

sub placement shouldnt matter, your ears cant differentiate where the low frequency sounds come from. put that sub wherever it looks the best.

also, if someone could give me some input as far as how the 680/5500 work...

i like my ada885 which have stereo, stereox2, quad, prologic, DD sound field modes. do these logitechs have similar sound field options?

thanks for any help/feedback.

bealzz said:
sub placement shouldnt matter, your ears cant differentiate where the low frequency sounds come from. put that sub wherever it looks the best.

if it were in an open field, sure, but in your room the placement of the sub in proximity to the walls will affect how it sounds. one rule i've heard is to place the sub where you sit, find the place in the room where it sounds the best, and then put the sub there

fugu said:
if it were in an open field, sure, but in your room the placement of the sub in proximity to the walls will affect how it sounds. one rule i've heard is to place the sub where you sit, find the place in the room where it sounds the best, and then put the sub there

I have used this technique several times and it works. Place the sub at the location you normally sit and play a 40-hertz signal at a reasonable volume level. Move around the room using a SPL meter or your ears to find the locations where the base is the loudest. Place the sub in this location. Adjust the volume level of the sub to match the reference level of the mains and surrounds.

Back