Z390 not likely to bring 8-core CPUs?

spine

2[H]4U
Ok, so that's entirely speculation on my part, based on...

Biostar leaked their B360/Z390 combined manual:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/bi...-reveals-existence-of-intel-z390-chipset.html

Firstly, that confirms the chipset, but having read the manual (downloadable here) I noticed.

Active Processor Cores
This item allows you to set up number of cores to enable in each processor package.
Options: All (Default) / 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5

That implies only up to 6-core CPUs are intended to be used with this motherboard. Might just at launch, might just be Biostar and this board, but this seems to suggest we're about to see another Devil's Canyon like refresh of Coffeelake and not an 8-core mainstream CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: akiba
like this
8-core mainstream processors on Coffee Lake was just a rumor circulating (again...) that because AMD did Intel has to respond to get that 2% bump back that AMD gained in marketshare from the release of Ryzen.

The leak of an 8-core part appearing on some bench has too little information to be substantiated in any meaningful way. And I don't see a refresh happening because the rumor that another Skylake optimization was coming was borne from the information we now have below.
Big Release Day for Intel, eh?

CFL H, CFL U, More CFL S, The New Cannonlake 14nm Chipsets(B360, H370, H310, Q370 etc)
And this release pretty much follows Intel's previous release schedule of low-power and business parts following months after mainstream and enthusiast parts.

A rumor with more substance behind it is that Z390 may support both Coffee Lake and Ice Lake, the latter being possible with a BIOS update, based on the roadmaps we have available. Now, whether or not Ice Lake-S will offer an 8-core SKU is yet to be seen.

VideoCardz certainly seem adamant of an 8-core launch, but I'm not so sure.

To start with, has anyone actually considered whether or not Intel CAN make an 8-core part? :eek::confused:

No seriously, do you honestly think they can 'just make' an 8-core Coffeelake that overclocks the same, fits in the same power envelope and has an extra 2 whole extra hyper-threaded cores? Sure they literally can, but at what yields and for what profit? And do they need to? Zen+ doesn't look very threatening to me. So I think if/when we see an 8-core Coffeelake, I'd expect it to overclock less than the 6-core version and thus be inferior in most games.

But if it overclocks nicely with HT off, I'm grabbing one! :D

It took Intel 8 generations to go from quad to hex core on a mainstream platform and people expect them
to go from hex to octa in one generation?

Ha.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It took Intel 8 generations to go from quad to hex core on a mainstream platform and people expect them

Ha.
Intel had no competition for those 8 gens. Now they do and have to stomp AMD into the ground.

Intel had no competition for those 8 gens. Now they do and have to stomp AMD into the ground.
Not going to happen. They can certainly show them up...cement their place as 1st tier, but AMD now has an architecture they can work with, and while AMD may lag behind in single-core performance and IPC for the foreseeable future, they're going to shadow Intel closely for a spell.

Next 2 or 3 years should be interesting.

The original plan was to go from four to eight cores in one generation. Skylake --> Icelake.

Then 10nm problems forced a change in roadmaps and we got Kabylake and CoffeeLake.

The original plan was to go from four to eight cores in one generation. Skylake --> Icelake.

Then 10nm problems forced a change in roadmaps and we got Kabylake and CoffeeLake.

geez 2 times the core count of a 6700/7700k would have been close to 250 watts.

Yeah, Intel is going to let AMD have not one 8 Core Consumer Part .... but two 8 Core CPU's on the market without having one themselves ...... really?

The one thing that always surprises me is the lack of common sense

Have a buddy who works at Intel. And he's glomar responded me every time I asked about this. "I can neither confirm nor deny..."

Lol. I could see Intel going either way with that. You could argue they don't need to, because 6 Coffee Lake Cores ~ comparable to 8 Zen cores. Then again, maybe they do it just because they can. Who knows?

That’s still my upgrade path though, lol.

Yeah, Intel is going to let AMD have not one 8 Core Consumer Part .... but two 8 Core CPU's on the market without having one themselves ...... really?

The one thing that always surprises me is the lack of common sense

That logic is certainly hard to deny. It does make sense, but I can just see Intel dropping Z390 with that rumoured 8086K* in late May/June with the promise of the 9800K 8-core proper later in the year.

They'd effectively have an 8 core part on the market without actually having one!

Well, that's what I'd do if I were Intel... :p:D:LOL:

* Which'll actually be an 8 core part with two weakest cores disabled. That you can later unlock via official 8 core bios update and a pin mod. You read it here first.

Last edited:
Not really that interested in Skylake 4.0 tbh.
8 core Icelake on the other hand sounds pretty good. That or the new Zen arch. 2019 will sure be interesting, maybe I'll finally make an AMD build again, last one was an Athlon XP 2400+.

Reactions: spine
like this
Wonder if they will cripple the 8086k later on with a forced microcode update (courtesy microsoft) like they did with the g3258.

I'd be embarrassed or angry by now if I was an intel engineer involved with the latter.

Can you imagine trying to keep a 8 core 9700k cool :eek:

And I thought my 8700k ran hot...

It won't be a problem if they move from booger paste to solder on their chips. That should compensate for the problem. We're seeing that already (supposedly) in the next batch of X299 releases. Besides, 7820X is fine. Power delivery is probably the bigger issue with trying to stick 8 cores on the mainstream platform. AMD already has some issues with this on cheaper boards with the 2700X. Power limits throttle it somewhat. If they release this, and you want to buy it, just don't cheap out on the motherboard, and all should be well.

So, realistically, when is this chipset coming out? July? June?

Crystal Ball?

Z390 is just what Z270 was supposed to be, but they had to rush out the coffee Lake cpus and didn't have a chipset. So they just rebranded Z270 and put a firmware lock on the BIOS to lock out older chips.

Can you imagine trying to keep a 8 core 9700k cool :eek:

And I thought my 8700k ran hot...

My 8700k actually runs cooler takes less voltage and is a better overclocker than all My Intel Core i7's before 2 x 7700K 3 x 6700K 1 x 3770K 1 X 2700K 1 X 2600K 3 X 920 the binning process continues to get better regardless the speed or cores

Is there a summary somewhere of what 390 is expected to bring? I have only heard usb 3.1g2 native as the delta from the 370 (aside from possible future processor support). If that's the case... meh. 370 gets a lot of crap, possibly deservedly so, but the z170 was a pretty solid chip. :)

Single-Core clock speeds are so important still.

So, the potential 8-core won’t do a fairly easy 5.0 OC like the 8700Ks? Any idea what the stock boost clock might be?

Is there a summary somewhere of what 390 is expected to bring? I have only heard usb 3.1g2 native as the delta from the 370 (aside from possible future processor support). If that's the case... meh. 370 gets a lot of crap, possibly deservedly so, but the z170 was a pretty solid chip. :)
In addition to the USB 3.1g2 support I think the main new features of the "real" 300-series chipsets are Cannon Lake support and integrated 802.11ac.

It's true! :eek: Z390 out in June, 8-core CFL out in Q4,

intel_z390_roadmap.png

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1271...-amd-intel-roadmaps-z490-z390-8core-cfl-in-q4

Don't bet on it. We're gonna be screwed again.

Considering Z390 must have only been qualified against the 6-core 8-Series CPUs, as implied by the released block diagram and the leaked mobo manuals, it'll likely take a bios update for even the Z390 to support the 8 core when it eventually actually exists and is subsequently released, maybe, this year.

Yes I'm being serious!

Last edited:
Considering Z390 must have only been qualified against the 6-core 8-Series CPUs, as implied by the released block diagram and the leaked mobo manuals, it'll likely take a bios update for even the Z390 to support the 8 core when it eventually actually exists and is subsequently released, maybe, this year.

Yes I'm being serious!

I like you, you have a great sense of humor :ROFLMAO:

Almost no chance of Z370 getting 8-core CPUs, Intel will pull some BS saying that the socket doesn't provide enough power to the CPU or whatnot.

Z390 on the other hand, I feel like they have to release 8-cores to be really beat Ryzen and maintain their much higher $$$ premium.

Almost no chance of Z370 getting 8-core CPUs, Intel will pull some BS saying that the socket doesn't provide enough power to the CPU or whatnot.

Z390 on the other hand, I feel like they have to release 8-cores to be really beat Ryzen and maintain their much higher $$$ premium.

With a late Q4 launch it will face 7nm Zen in almost nothing flat as it should be a fist half launch next year. 10nm has been so much of their focus that they lost site of the whole game. 2019 should be interesting tho.

Back