[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

is it possible to split a single pcie x16 slot to two x8 slots with some sort of expander? does something like this exist?

The GTX 460 is backordered until Tuesday so I have some time to decide.

I can get this GTX 480 locally for $420 (normal $510):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130551

It's 10.5" long. Too big for the SG05 case?

GTX 480 requires a 600W PSU :eek: Think my Silverstone 450W (which falls short by 150W) can handle it?

My GTS 250 had a minimum 450W PSU requirement and the Silverstone 300W PSU (which also falls short by 150W) had no problems handling it.

Last edited:
I recall the GTX480 sucking something like 300W at full burn. So with a quad core and all the other stuff, it could be cutting it close... but probably doable. Still, since the GTX480 is a frickin' sauna, I probably wouldn't put it into a SG05. Not that I'd take such a power hog anyway.

Yeah the Nvidia GTS 250 and ATI 5770 already feels hot in my SG05.

For now I went ahead and ordered this GTX 460 for $250 w/ free shipping (it just restocked 30 minutes ago):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261076

I will return the 5770 that I had for only a week. It runs good in Bad Company 2 @ 1920x1200 resolution (most widescreen monitors max out at 1920x1080).. I only noticed the FPS drop maybe 2% of the time (like when I'm standing inside a building that's disintegrating, with massive explosions & smoke around). The GTX 460 should however have a bit better future-proofing. I can't see the 5770 serving me well into next year as it's already on its edge with Bad Company 2 right now.

tvih & fr500: Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
That model was one of the two between which I made the final choice - ended up going with Gainward's GS Goes Like Hell in the end. Hopefully it'll arrive by 2nd of August.

quadcomm for:
I do not recommend giving the GTX480 Silverstone 450W, I Sugo Gigabyte HD5850 and the measurement of consumption in idle 110W, then 320W at load, I believe that would have tightened the HD5870 but it would be on the edge, GTX480 is a real glutton, if you want to show system fell do not put it there.

my gallery of works:

http://opinena.rajce.idnes.cz/Silverstone_Sugo_Black_Box/#

I'd not push with a 470, it's a great card with great power consumption.

I'd say get the 460, it's awesome or wait for them to phase the 470 out for a fully enabled GF104, I'm sure one is coming up with 384 shader units, lower TDP and higher performance than the 470.

In some areas the 460 is already better like texture fillrate and has a lot of headroom due to it's lower TDP.

I have the SG05 with Gigabyte GTX 460 1g and stock PSU. I'm getting random reboots. The card and CPU seems to be running cool. Should i upgrade the PSU?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Edit: Forgot to mention the reboots seem to happen when playing Modern Warfare 2 (@1920x1200)

Last edited:
What CPU and motherboard? Though unless you are overclocking, the stock PSU should be handling a Quad and a GTX 460 fine. But it could be the motherboard chip overheating or something, there's all sorts of possibilities. But unless the PSU is faulty, it shouldn't be the cause I think.

That said, on a previous build (Gigabyte board, Q6600, 8800GT etc) I got random reboots or situations where the machine staid powered on, but basically no display signal, HDDs spinned down... kind of like starting a machine that powers up but doesn't post, except it generally only happened when playing certain games - mostly WoW - and only randomly, which never really made sense. Sometimes, things just are mysteries.

I have Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 and i3 530. I use the stock heatsink and I'm not OC'ing. What else can I do to find out whats wrong?

When it does reboots itself, I hear a loud fan sound, sometimes for a few seconds, sometimes for half a minute, before it dies down and goes to the BIOS screen. I have no idea which fan it was...

Last edited:
I guess it's the PSU protecting itself.. remember, the GTX460 TDP is 160w, that is total dissipated power, an indication of power consumption but not actual power consumption, if you have a kill-a-watt try and see how much are you pushing while gaming.

Also check the even viewer just in case to discard software failures

Well, usually actual power consumption is slightly below TDP... and i3 530 is certainly no power hog. As such 300W should be plenty - people have run much more power hungry setups with the SG05 PSU, after all.

My current Gigabyte P55M-UD2 shuts itself down - rather than rebooting - if the GPU overheats, and I assume it would do the same with other components. And I assume the H55N-USB3 would act similarly - it only makes sense to actually shut down rather than reboot if things are getting too hot. So, with that, and with both the CPU and GPU being not-so-warm models, I suppose it should be safe to rule out overheating - though temperature logging software of some sort could be utilized to confirm that, probably.

As fr500 suggested, check the event viewer, as well. Does the game itself have logs you could check? I've had games crash systems before, would be nothing new. It seems from your post it only happens with MW2, not other games? The long time it sometimes takes to fully reboot would suggest this probably isn't the cause either, though.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. Have you tried running the usual diagnostics, mainly meaning Memtest for RAM?

Well, usually actual power consumption is slightly below TDP... and i3 530 is certainly no power hog. As such 300W should be plenty - people have run much more power hungry setups with the SG05 PSU, after all.

My current Gigabyte P55M-UD2 shuts itself down - rather than rebooting - if the GPU overheats, and I assume it would do the same with other components. And I assume the H55N-USB3 would act similarly - it only makes sense to actually shut down rather than reboot if things are getting too hot. So, with that, and with both the CPU and GPU being not-so-warm models, I suppose it should be safe to rule out overheating - though temperature logging software of some sort could be utilized to confirm that, probably.

As fr500 suggested, check the event viewer, as well. Does the game itself have logs you could check? I've had games crash systems before, would be nothing new. It seems from your post it only happens with MW2, not other games? The long time it sometimes takes to fully reboot would suggest this probably isn't the cause either, though.

I'm not really sure what to suggest. Have you tried running the usual diagnostics, mainly meaning Memtest for RAM?

That might be true but that TDP is for the GPU only (I mean the GF104 chip) not the actual card

Thanks for the pointers. I did run memtest and it was fine. A I used Speccy to check CPU temp during gaming and it seems to run between 40C to 50C.

I also checked things in event viewer and no abnormality found (at least anything I know of). I actually was wondering if overheating would be logged in the event viewer?

Any good softwares I can install for better diagnosis?

I now running MW2 at 1680x1050 instead and without the cover, no reboot so far. And the reboot doesn't happen with other games (yet).

I'm thinking if flipping the PSU would help...

And does it have anything to do with the Gigabyte 460 is factory OC'ed and with 2 fans?

That might be true but that TDP is for the GPU only (I mean the GF104 chip) not the actual card

True, but reviews suggest the actual power draw for the whole card doesn't exceed the TDP.

For example, in Techspot's GTX 460 review the test system has an apparently overclocked i7 920 (3.7GHz), yet total system power consumption under load is only 280W with a 768MB GTX 460, and 320W with a "severely" factory overclocked (from 675/3600 to 800/4000) 1GB model.

Swap that overclocked power hog CPU to an i3 530, and that alone will save quite a few watts indeed. Gigabyte's OC isn't as heavy as what mentioned either, so the end result should easily be within the PSU's capabilities. After all, people also run HD5850s with the SG05 PSU, and the GTX460 uses roughly as much power - depends on the variant if it's more or less.

Also if it only happens with MW2, power draw shouldn't be the cause.

My +12V seems too low, something wrong with my motherboard or the PSU?

CPUID.jpg

I mounted mine today

I7 860
Zotac H55 ITX Wifi
Sapphire 5770 Vapor x
WD 500GB 5400 rpm
(2x2gb) Mushking Blackline 4Gb 1333MHz
Stock PSU
Stock Intel Cooler

What do you think i could improve?? I'm gonna change the front fan and try to place a fan controler eather on the 5'25" slim bay (do you know any?) or in the 3'5" on the very bottom of the case.
What about the CPU cooler... temps are Ok, not very high, just enough for some days until i buy a better one

So i am not done my build yet. I have to to some cable management and make a better hard drive mounting bracket and wait for my cooler(back ordered :( ). But i have managed to fit a 5970 and a HX650 with a 140mm up front in a SG06. It is a little bit Hacked but it will do nicely till i can get one of those langear MILF's(lol). Here is a teaser shot:
IMG_20100721_200518.jpg

So i am not done my build yet. I have to to some cable management and make a better hard drive mounting bracket and wait for my cooler(back ordered :( ). But i have managed to fit a 5970 and a HX650 with a 140mm up front in a SG06. It is a little bit Hacked but it will do nicely till i can get one of those langear MILF's(lol). Here is a teaser shot:
IMG_20100721_200518.jpg

That sir, is terrifying.

Why not just buy the SG07 or a Mini-ITX case?

At the point where you have to cut holes into the external areas of the case to fit the stuff you want I just have to wonder why not go with a big enough case to begin with :p

Well, cutting it up destroys resale value though. Could've used a mATX case or such in the meanwhile?

Each has their preferences of course, but that's not the path I would've taken :D

Pictures of the stock 300W PSU (silver) and 450W PSU (black):

qavDi.jpg

q4D34.jpg

Yxe3m.jpg

Nothing special, just posting. Hoping to install my GTX 460 tonight and will report back if I have any problems.

I got my ST45sf a few days ago, installed it last friday (i think)
I didn't realise what a shit job I did cabling the 300w until I had to undo it all.
Yeah, now with my st45sf, my minds at ease and I can use the 300w for something else, like a ghetto cardboard server or something.

hey guys i just got my MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB and was wondering if there would be any issues installing it in a Sugo 05 case. also, would if be a bad idea to run an OC'd i5 760 and GTX 460 off the 450W PSU?

It should work fine, OC'ing a 470 and a 875k would probably be pushing it a bit in the long term

Here are a couple pictures of the Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum in the case. I 'shopped in the green dotted outline. The card is damned SMALL.

rkAGk.jpg

rGrHD.jpg

Much smaller than the standard ATI 5770 I had. Fits real easy. No problems with the Silverstone 450W PSU. I haven't tried the stock 300W PSU.

After 20-30 minutes of playing Bad Company 2, I noticed that my SG05 case got HOT. With the GTS 250 and 5770 cards, I can place my hand on the case and it feels warm. However, with this GTX 460 my hand recoiled as soon as I touched the case.

I'm glad I didn't get the GTX 470 because it supposedly runs ~20C hotter and this GTX 460's performance potential is already on par with 470s.

This review page has more info on power consumption and temperature:
http://www.techspot.com/review/299-palit-inno3d-geforce-gtx-460/page13.html

Tonight I'll measure all my temps and post them here. May also try overclocking the GTX 460 (that's what the Palit Sonic Platinum is made for!) if temps allow it. Stock GTX 460 runs at 675MHz, this Palit Sonic Platinum is factory overclocked to 800MHz, and some reviewers managed to overclock it further to 840-925MHz (most commonly 850-860MHz).

The highest power consumption recorded with an overclocked 925MHz speed is 388W (stock is around 320W). The temp only hit 54.7C at 100% GPU fan speed. In a nice big case with a bunch of 120mm fans of course...

Last edited:
I think the EVGA ex-exhaust version would run cooler thing is some hot air is dumped back into the case with this big fan versions.

The EVGA has a blower style fan

Here are a couple pictures of the Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum in the case. I 'shopped in the green dotted outline. The card is damned SMALL.

Yeah the Palit GTX 460's are ~1.1" shorter than reference length, which as the blokes @ bit-tech said "makes the Palit feel pretty dinky" :p

It'll be interesting to see what temps you get.

hey guys i just got my MSI GTX 460 Cyclone 1GB and was wondering if there would be any issues installing it in a Sugo 05 case. also, would if be a bad idea to run an OC'd i5 760 and GTX 460 off the 450W PSU?
Any chance of getting some photos of your MSI GTX 460 in the case so we can compare to quadcomm's Palit? :)

EDIT: SEE NEXT PAGE FOR TEMPERATURE UPDATE

Temp results with Palit GTX 460 1GB Sonic Platinum:

Idle:
67C @ 40% fan speed (that's the lowest possible fan speed)

In-game (BC2 with graphic settings cranked all the way up):
81C @ 70% fan speed

Note that this card was already factory overclocked from 675MHz to 800MHz.

I bumped it up to 830MHz:
In-game: 82C @ 74% fan speed
Over 2 hours of gameplay, no problems.

Bumped it it further to 850MHz:
In-game: 82C @ 79% fan speed
Computer froze after 15 minutes.

I changed it back to 830MHz. Even 800MHz seems fast enough for BC2 @ 1920x1200.

Last edited:
just an idea. Would it be possible to fit the SFX PSU in the front of the case? there seems to be enough room for it to work. this way we can the full height of the case to use for the CPU heatsink.

Can you get some side photos of the MSI 460 in the case? I'm wondering how it will fit with my H50 in a push/pull config (radiator is on its side to make room for optical drive)

Back