[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

What do you use to trim down the connectors without damaging the wires?

The same card didn't fit in my sg05 as you can see in the following pics. Even after I trimmed down the connectors.

5850-toxic-1.jpg
5850-toxic-2.jpg
5850-toxic-3.jpg

I was thinking of just popping all the wires out like you're sleeving the damn thing and then just filing the plastic down a bit.

I have this theory that strikeout had the vapor-x + reference 5850 PCB and mustbeDreaming got the vapor-x + custom PCB.

I am saluting all supporters of Small Form Factor project in all self-made variants of it-such as specialized for max. power in benchmarks, low-power demanding SFF or for main purpose as HTPC.

After my first SFF configuration from last year from which stay-on only SUGO SG05B, I really hardly put these components into my newly sprayed Sugo:

Silverstone Sugo SG05B
DFI MI P55-T36
OCZ 8GB (2x4) DDRIII 1333MHz CL9
Intel Core i7 860 2,8GHz
Intel X-25 M 80GB SSD - system
WD Scorpio Black 320GB 2.5" - data
WD Scorpio Blue 500GB 2.5" - data
DVD-RW - Sony Optiarc Slim Tray
Thermalright AXP-140
Silverstone 450W SFX 80+Bronze
Gigabyte HD 5850 OC
front fan 120mm Noiseblocker 1000rpm
cpu fan 120mm low-profile (12mm) Scythe 1000rpm

„Silverstone Sugo BlackBox“ will be used for all my after-work free time with all joys and problems-net, games etc. and occasionally for lanparties. Now I am also attaching some photos with view at inside of my „Silverstone Sugo BlackBox“ and some benchmarks with temperatures etc.

PS:If somebody wants more info about my configuration, process of building or anything else, please contact with me freely, but I am demanding from you simply written messages for better google’s translator results because of my weak english knowledge,thank you
1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg

9CPUIDLE.jpg
9CPULOAD.jpg

9GPUIDLE.jpg
9GPULOAD.jpg

Last edited:
Can you explain how you can connect 2 hdd's ,1 ssd and 1 optical drive on the dfi board?

I thought it only has 3 sata ports?

Last edited:
^^ You've raised a good point
leifeinar - they point upwards

And thats a damn beauty of a build.

that is one insanely powerful build opinena. the inside of my case looks like crap compared to yours

great build! and first upside down psu. is the gpu power facing back or up`?

Gigabyte length of 5850 is 10.2 "(26cm), for it is the most Sugo without modifying the front plate, connectors 2x6pin in this case are discharged upwards.

Can you explain how you can connect 2 hdd's ,1 ssd and 1 optical drive on the dfi board?

I thought it only has 3 sata ports?

Correctly, DFI has 3 SATA,SSD and HDD connected to SATA ,slim drive is to reduce ViPowER VP-9218, USB 2.0 - S-ATA, this reduction I have used in the previous report, and it's no problem.

Last edited:
I hope my build can be as neat as yours opinena... really love how it looks.

Anyway, theres a nice bundle going on ncix, sg05b+gigabyte h55n usb3 for 189 cad.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=53896&vpn=H55N-USB3%20%26%20SG05B&manufacture=Bundle%20Deals&promoid=1016

Not a bad bundle but I gave priority to the DFI motherboard,Gigabyte because of inappropriate location of the CPU socket and possible conflicts of larger radiators, in addition, the auxiliary power supply Gigabyte 1x4pin, DFI uses 2x4pin-OC is better for a while but the benefits in i7 series processors .. you're only limited by the DFI 150BCLK which you probably all know.

Gigabyte length of 5850 is 10.2 "(26cm), for it is the most Sugo without modifying the front plate, connectors 2x6pin in this case are discharged upwards.

Thats just awsome :) then this gigabyte card is probably the only 5850 withe pci power connectors facing upwards. all the others needs modding or is a really thight fit.

u got a link to the usb- sata convertor? I guess its the white dongle we see at the bottom of the case?

Thats just awsome :) then this gigabyte card is probably the only 5850 withe pci power connectors facing upwards. all the others needs modding or is a really thight fit.

u got a link to the usb- sata convertor? I guess its the white dongle we see at the bottom of the case?

This is a classic white bottom usb bracket, which is used as PCI blind in the back of the box, I simply removed the piece of metal,adapter is more to the left under the fan, the involvement is next-in boards will come soon join the USB bracket, into the previously mentioned Vipower adapter, the adapter cable that has one end of the e-SATA and SATA on the other, engage in SATA DVD drive and you are done, it looks complicated but it's nothing, in the afternoon when he arrives from work for complementing still photos, prices adapter is around $ 18, since the matter was some time in the market as the manufacturer's site I just found a similar modification.

http://en.vipower.com/products01_01.php?ID=224

here in Czech Republic
http://www.lan-shop.cz/vipower-vp-9218-28313

once again point out that my English is very very weak so that everything goes through Google Translate

Photos are a total of about 500, I chose probably the most interesting, during construction, some things have changed, if you will give something of interest we can discuss it, given the time difference, Europe and the U.S. to answer the following day.

good luck with similar projects

Last edited:
I've wanted to ask if anyone knows why I could not put a picture here?

thanks for the tips

Last edited:
Hello all. My first post in this forum, wanted to show you my built.

I customized some stuffs, the front of the case, and added real case stands alu made, because original didn't stick very well, and were moving each time i made the case slide along the table. I also added a 35x120mm fan@2000rpm.
Everything fits in without any issue.

Here is the hardware :

Case : Silverstone SG05B
Case Cooling : Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm
Power Supply : Silverstone SST-ST45SF
CPU : Intel Core i5 [email protected]
CPU Cooling : Scythe Big Shuriken
Motherboard : DFI LanParty MI P55-T36
RAM : 2x2048 PC12800 OCZ Platinum
GPU : PowerColor ATI Radeon HD5850
HDD : Seagate Momentus 7200.4 500GB 2.5"
DVD : SAMSUNG-SN-T083A (Slim Sata)

It stays cool and silent in idle, not to noisy in full, and still cool.

The GPU reaches 85°C, never more, which is not bad.

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french.

Here are some pics :

I bought the legs separately, these are Lian Li aluminium stands. I had to pierce holes with a dremel. The front fan is the Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm, it's a 35x120mm fan, great airflow, and silent when rotation is low.

I bought the legs separately, these are Lian Li aluminium stands. I had to pierce holes with a dremel. The front fan is the Scythe Ultra Kaze 2000rpm, it's a 35x120mm fan, great airflow, and silent when rotation is low.

I suppose that interferes with the fan on HDD cage, as if casting Corsair H50, is not it?

I didn't try, but I think so. It's not a problem for me as I got a 2.5 HDD, so I dont use the cage.

Here's what I've been working on this spring. I don't have a name for it yet xD

Specs on the rig are:
Zotac H55 ITX (In RMA)
Intel i5 750 (Have)
4GB G. Skill DDR3 (Have)
HIS 5850 (Ordering)
OCZ Vertex 30gb (Win 7) (Have)
WD 320gb 2.5" (Files) (Have)
Corsair H50 push/pull (Have)
Ultra X4 400w modular (Have)
Silverstone SG05b (Have)

These first pics are just with the PSU and H50

001.jpg

Here you can see the sponge painting I did. Black case with white paint, applied with a household sponge

003-1.jpg

I mounted the front fan outside the case, to allow for the H50 and another fan inside. The fan fit right into the place where the mesh used to be on the stock front panel. I used some caulk to hold the fan on (prevents vibration) and used some spackle to fill in the gaps between the fan and the panel.

004.jpg

Cut a hole in the top mesh for the PSU's fan using some tin snips

005.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Hope you guys like it so far, more to come when the rest of the hardware arrives!

Last edited:
got any pics with everything installed? I've asked a bunch of times but is 400-450W really enough? my soon to be setup will be exactly like that except it'll use a H55N-USB mobo from gigabyte and only HDD(WD 1TB). also I assume mATX power supplies fit in between SFX and ATX right?

got any pics with everything installed? I've asked a bunch of times but is 400-450W really enough? my soon to be setup will be exactly like that except it'll use a H55N-USB mobo from gigabyte and only HDD(WD 1TB). also I assume mATX power supplies fit in between SFX and ATX right?

Well, to answer your question, I didn't NEED to buy the Ultra PSU that I'm using. I could have used the stock PSU and it would have worked, but I wanted the extra wattage, as well as the all black, modular cables, and cable sleeving. My last SFF build had a GTS250, Q8200, and a 9300itx, and it all ran on the SG05 PSU, but whenever I would play games, I got strange high-pitched noises from the PSU, so with this build, I want to go just a bit safer. 300w will work, but you're cutting it close.

Also, a note on the form factor. MATX is a really niche PSU size. The standard SG05 psu's form factor is called "PS3". MATX and PS3 are about the same, but as you can see from my pics, the MATX is a bit longer. Same height and width, but different length.

Very nice paint job. What paint did you use to paint the interior? The paint that I used comes out easily once it dries...like dust..

Well, to answer your question, I didn't NEED to buy the Ultra PSU that I'm using. I could have used the stock PSU and it would have worked, but I wanted the extra wattage, as well as the all black, modular cables, and cable sleeving. My last SFF build had a GTS250, Q8200, and a 9300itx, and it all ran on the SG05 PSU, but whenever I would play games, I got strange high-pitched noises from the PSU, so with this build, I want to go just a bit safer. 300w will work, but you're cutting it close.

Also, a note on the form factor. MATX is a really niche PSU size. The standard SG05 psu's form factor is called "PS3". MATX and PS3 are about the same, but as you can see from my pics, the MATX is a bit longer. Same height and width, but different length.

Weird you had noises with the 300w. I'm running one with an i5 750@3,5Ghz, 4GB RAM, a GTS250 and an H50, did a lot of work lowering voltages as low as possible to aid power consumption of course but still you shouldn't have had issues

How did you get the 5850 to fit with the H50 installed? Or maybe because you aren't going to use the 2.5/ODD drive cages?

Here's what I've been working on this weekend. I don't have a name for it yet xD

Specs on the rig are:
Zotac H55 ITX
Intel i5 750
4GB G. Skill DDR3
HIS 5850
OCZ Vertex 30gb (Win 7)
WD 320gb 2.5" (Files)
Corsair H50 push/pull
Ultra X4 400w modular

These first pics are just with the PSU and H50

001.jpg

Here you can see the sponge painting I did. Black case with white paint, applied with a household sponge

003.jpg

I mounted the front fan outside the case, to allow for the H50 and another fan inside

004.jpg

Cut a hole in the top mesh for the PSU's fan

005.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Weird you had noises with the 300w. I'm running one with an i5 750@3,5Ghz, 4GB RAM, a GTS250 and an H50, did a lot of work lowering voltages as low as possible to aid power consumption of course but still you shouldn't have had issues

Perhaps it was just bad luck, although I was using a non reference GTS250, and none of my parts were undervolted.

How did you get the 5850 to fit with the H50 installed? Or maybe because you aren't going to use the 2.5/ODD drive cages?

Don't know if you can tell, but I have the H50 mounted vertically, so that the tubing is on the floor of the case, rather than the side. This gives the 5850 full clearance all the way to the front of the case. If I had be using the ODD/HDD bracket, it would have interfered with the H50 mounting height-wise.

Nice house. :)

Thanks! :)

Don't know if you can tell, but I have the H50 mounted vertically, so that the tubing is on the floor of the case, rather than the side. This gives the 5850 full clearance all the way to the front of the case. If I had be using the ODD/HDD bracket, it would have interfered with the H50 mounting height-wise.

I see, I couldn't quite tell from the pics. Where are you putting the hard drive out of curiosity?

Just installed the MSI Radeon 5870 Lightning edition. It fits, but not so easy. The card is not straight as you can see, because of the PCI-E connectors (the card is higher than the reference design). The perfect card for this case would have been the same length than the MSI, but the same height than the reference design.

Just installed the MSI Radeon 5870 Lightning edition. It fits, but not so easy. The card is not straight as you can see, because of the PCI-E connectors (the card is higher than the reference design). The perfect card for this case would have been the same length than the MSI, but the same height than the reference design.

Cut a hole in the Optical Drive mounting bracket for the PCI-E 6pins to go through; then cover the cut area with electrical tape.

Thats what I did and it doesn't bend the card like in your case.

-Sid

Back