• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Your Internal IP Scheme

Right now, I'm on 192.168.0.x / 24

0.1 = router
0.2 = fileserver (when I get around to plugging it in...)
0.3 = my machine
0.4+ = everyone else
0.254- = wireless

DHCP disabled


If I ever actually get the money to do things how I'd like them to work (home network, an actual fileserver, HTPC, printers, etc), I'll switch to the 10.67.x.x / 16 scheme. Servers / routers on 1.x, printers on 2.x, wired computers 3.x, wireless 4.x ... I have a feeling it won't happen for a long time though.
 
Work:
10.0.0.X/24 Main Office
192.168.Y.X/24 (Y=Store Number) 11 Retail Locations - VPN'd to main office

Home:
192.168.31.x/24 Home - VPN'd to Office
192.168.20.x/24 Mom and Dad - VPN on demand to Home
 
Heck, 90% of people couldn't connect.
And of those that know they need to set a static IP, they have to know your schema or (possibly) be unable to connect to anything on your LAN itself.

That's not counting my non-standard IP for the router either. I like to be confusing to people that try to mess with my stuff.

For me, it's simple to use static IPs. I currently have 4 machines but hopefully a fifth one soon. That's not much to keep track of. I currently have my sister's laptop here but it's going to be leaving tonight.

For those complaining about the "waste of time" for static IPs, I'm not administering 100's of systems here; it's a home network. Also, I've given valid reasons for running static.

As far as taking a laptop somewhere else and having to reconfigure it, well that doesn't matter at all as I don't even have a laptop. Even if I did, it's not like changing to DHCP is difficult and then changing it back to static. I've been doing stuff like that now for years and I can practically do it in my sleep. I'm a rather disorderly person overall, but I like to keep my networked systems orderly. For me it's easy as hell to do and doesn't really take any time so it's not exactly a waste of time.

 
mynetworkiq7.jpg
 
10.1.0.0/23 - Router/jail, external and bridged, Workstations, etcetera, things that need fairly open interwebs.
10.1.5.0/23 - Server Farm
10.1.7.0/23 - InfiniBand and iSCSI space
10.1.10.0/24 - Happy Bridging Spaces and Actual Routers
10.1.20.0/24 - DHCP, wired
10.1.21.0/24 - DHCP, 802.11a
10.1.22.0/24 - DHCP, 802.11b/g
 
192.168.3.100+, static since '99. Partially from a general distrust of DHCP refreshes under Win98 and lately to keep things tight(er). Wifi limited to WPA2 + MAC whitelist, no SSID broadcast and no 192.x.x.x access.
 
Lets say you wanted an entire bank of public IP addresses to use at your disposal, what would that cost?
 
A bunch. My ISP charges $8 EACH (per month) and only allows 2 extra's...
 
Back
Top